• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finder: 20 years of Metacritic scores shows a steady decline in 90 and above titles

Humorously enough, back in the day I didn't read a lot of reviews and I'd play anything, even games that were scoring 6s, and even enjoyed them because I didn't have this perception of what the game should be. I may have never tried Dynasty Warriors 2 if I had read reviews. Same with Sega Channel: I played everything and just made my own opinions.

People pay so much attention to numbers and not the content of reviews. I'm all for Tomatometer Watch threads for movies and Metacritic threads for games, but read the actual reviews past the scores. Rise of the Tomb Raider got 88 on average, and I couldn't even finish the game as opposed to many which scored lower.

Sayad

XV is a complete oddball release and says more about one odd company and one odd 10 year troubled project. It's not typical of modern gaming.
It's not typical of modern gaming for a game to ship unfinished and promise contents and/or bug fixes in future patches?! Where have you been this past few years?!

Yet we had significantly more game releases than ever in 2016 - something doesn't add up. Statistically, we should be seeing more games in the 90+ range, not less.

Not really.

It's a lot harder to convince 100 people that something is specifically great than 10 people. To make an apples to apples comparison, only 8 movies are above 90 in Metacritic this year for movies. That's not because there aren't only 8 great movies out there. It's because there were only 8 movies in varied genres that hundreds of critics could agree were great.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Not really.

It's a lot harder to convince 100 people that something is specifically great than 10 people. To make an apples to apples comparison, only 8 movies are above 90 in Metacritic this year for movies. That's not because there aren't only 8 great movies out there. It's because there were only 8 movies that hundreds of critics could agree were great.

Are you saying the growth of the media industry is creating an overall downward trend on review scores?

datwr

I don't really think the data says anything interesting without a comparison with how many games actually was released each year.
The number of games each year need to be kinda consistent for this to be accurate, and I'm pretty sure that's not true.
Is there any reliable source for amount of games released each year? Wikipedia?

EDIT: The comments above about number of reviews I think is a really interesting point that also should be considered.

Yet we had significantly more game releases than ever in 2016 - something doesn't add up. Statistically, we should be seeing more games in the 90+ range, not less.

My GOTY 2016 VA11 Hall-A has metacritic rating of 77 (based on 17 critics):
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/va-11-hall-a-cyberpunk-bartender-action
Yet it has 98% on Steam reviews (based on 2270 game owner reviews):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/447530/

I think the industry is moving past Metacritic being relevant.

Jeffrey

It would be interesting to see how many of those reviewers in 2001 are now working for game publishers lol.

There were all kinds of wacky review scales back then too that made no sense.

Are you saying the growth of the media industry is creating an overall downward trend on review scores?

Yes, there are exceptions of course when something is so awesome that nobody can deny it. But, just to pick a game at random from Metacritic, Helldivers for PS4 got an 81 from Metacritic with scores ranging from 95 to all the way down to 60. That likely would not have happened in a world w here the only opinions were from 5 or 6 gaming magazines who are staffed by frankly, people from largely the same background and taste.

My GOTY 2016 VA11 Hall-A has metacritic rating of 77 (based on 17 critics):
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/va-11-hall-a-cyberpunk-bartender-action
Yet it has 98% on Steam reviews (based on 2270 game owner reviews):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/447530/

I think the industry is moving past Metacritic being relevant.

Um, not to push back on this, but you're missing the difference between a Steam review and a Metacritic score.

A Steam review is closer to a Rotten Tomatoes score - basically, is it a good game or not. I have no doubt that the RT number for VA11 Hall-A would be in the high 80's/low 90's because most people liked it, even if they didn't think it was a great game.

Also, Steam Reviews are quite open to frankly, vandalism from gamers if a publisher or developer does something they don't like that shouldn't affect a score of a game

Humdinger

I am not seeing a visual depiction of a steady decline.

Yeah, there is a fairly steady decline since 2009, but it's up & down before that.

I agree that critics are getting more critical, but one other factor lowering scores might be the click-bait nature of the internet, which seems to have increased over the past decade. I believe some review sites give unusually low scores just to get attention. That might pull the averages down, too. I don't think this is the major factor, but it might be one of the factors.

p.s. Another factor is that much fewer big-budget games are coming out now than were last gen.. Assuming big budget correlates with better scores -- or at least with the likelihood of the game getting reviewed -- then that might be a factor pulling down the numbers as well.

I have a hard time believing Goldeneye would get 90+ review scores nowadays as opposed to being docked for constant multiplayer slowdown (same with Perfect Dark, even moreso).

Gurish

I think we all noticed that in this gen particularly, a 9+ is not as easy as it used to be, and still 3 years after the gen started, no one game with high 9 (95+), highest is 93, this speaks volume.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Go to the article and they have a table of every 90+ game. Sort by release year.

Code:
97	Grand Theft Auto III	8.5	2001
97	Halo: Combat Evolved	8.6	2001
96	Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty	8.7	2001
95	Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec	8.4	2001
94	Devil May Cry	8.5	2001
94	Madden NFL 2002	7.9	2001
93	Mario Kart Super Circuit	8.3	2001
93	Paper Mario	9.2	2001
93	NBA 2K2	7.7	2001
92	SSX Tricky	8.9	2001
92	NHL 2002	8.5	2001
92	Advance Wars	9	2001
92	Super Smash Bros. Melee	9.1	2001
92	Final Fantasy X	8.7	2001
92	Conker's Bad Fur Day	9.2	2001
91	Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil	9.1	2001
91	IL-2 Sturmovik	8.8	2001
91	Twisted Metal: Black	8.4	2001
91	Golden Sun	9.3	2001
91	Castlevania: Circle of the Moon	8.5	2001
90	ICO	8.8	2001
90	Tennis 2K2	8	2001
90	Black & White	7.7	2001
90	Dance Dance Revolution	8.8	2001
90	Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy	8.7	2001
90	Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II	8.6	2001
90	NCAA Football 2002	8.7	2001
90	Unreal Tournament	8.6	2001
90	Sid Meier's Civilization III	8.4	2001
90	NFL 2K2	8	2001
90	Flight Simulator 2002	8.4	2001

how does a 7.7 count as 90+?

kiaaa

Critics are definitely tougher on games and things that weren't as big a deal in the past (performance) are affecting scores. The bar has gotten higher.

Plasma

Banned
*looks at chart* what happened to 2006?

360 came out in late 2005 and PS3 and Wii were out in 2006 so they were all still getting early launch games which don't tend to be that great. I'm kind of surprised 2007 isn't better, so many good games that year.

Critics are definitely tougher on games and things that weren't as big a deal as they used to be (performance) are affecting scores. The bar has gotten higher.

And that's good. Scores mean something again and 7s and 8s are considered good scores (as it should). And people are now paying more attention to the actual content of the reviews to understand what makes a game good or bad. This is all a good thing.

It makes sense, aside from gaming media itself becoming more professional the older the industry gets the higher standards become, the rarer innovation becomes, and more games you have to compare each with.

Yeah. The "metagame" of reviews has become far less needlessly glowing and a little more critical. Gamers were tired of reviews reading like advertising, and the whole Doritogate thing really brought to light a lot of the biases and conflicts of interest that many people used to gloss over. Also, outlier reviews have increased alongside the clickbait generation. Many outlets will go against the grain and give a great game bad reviews just for hits.

Yeah.

Some graphs

JEOznBg.png

The first thing I thought is how Metacritic doesn't reflect quality that well. 1998 and 2007 were great years, for example, and it doesn't show in this graph.

datwr

Yes, there are exceptions of course when something is so awesome that nobody can deny it. But, just to pick a game at random from Metacritic, Helldivers for PS4 got an 81 from Metacritic with scores ranging from 95 to all the way down to 60. That likely would not have happened in a world w here the only opinions were from 5 or 6 gaming magazines who are staffed by frankly, people from largely the same background and taste.

It isn't really that large of a difference tho, if you compare the number of critics counted in the score ,some random pick from 2001 and 2016 90+ games:

GTA 3 - 56
Jak and Daxter - 35
Advance Wars - 28
FFX - 53

INSIDE - 86
Overwatch - 62
Uncharted 4 - 113

Maybe doubled in number over the years, I would argue that is not that much of a significant difference.

Lime

This was one of my major problems with the reviewers last generation where reviewers would lavishly hand out 9s to openly flawed games with obvious faults both technically and artistically. I'm glad the things have matured but I'm also glad that critical-minded people and critical thinking have prevailed and fought for a better collective approach .

Gurish

It isn't really that large of a difference tho, if you compare the number of critics counted in the score ,some random pick from 2001 and 2016 90+ games:

GTA 3 - 56
Jak and Daxter - 35
Advance Wars - 28
FFX - 53

INSIDE - 86
Overwatch - 62
Uncharted 4 - 113

Maybe doubled in number over the years, I would argue that is not that much of a significant difference.

Double the number is indeed a big deal, 113 reviews for U4, a bigger chance to have more reviewers who would give it a low score.

90+ scores were handed out like candy in the wild west era of games journalism, now there's a race to be the edgiest, harshest critic.

Not generalizing the entirety of reviewers, just the trends followed by the extremes.

Sonic really fucked up 2016 for all of us.

But really I'd be more interested to see the amount of low scoring games. I feel like review scores have become a lot more homogenised since then.

Trace

Banned
According to the graph we have in 2016:
PlayStation: 6 games
Xbox: 4 games
PC: 3 games
Nintendo: 0 games

But if you look at metacritic we have in 2016:
PlayStation: 4 PS4 + 0 PS3 + 0 PSV
Xbox: 4 Xbox One
PC: 5
Nintendo: 0 WiiU + 0 3DS

and if you include games with few reviews:
PlayStation: 4 PS4 + 1 PS3 + 2 PSV
Xbox: 6 Xbox One
PC: 9
Nintendo: 1 WiiU + 0 3DS

So, what have I done wrong?

You're counting expansions as games. Kentucky Route Zero and Witcher 3 for instance don't count as 2016 games, which drops PC back down to 3. And yes they're ignoring games with few reviews. And no I don't know where they got 6 on PS4 from.

MUnited83

For you.
Eh, metacritic is shit and should never be taken as a actual qualifier of quality. Not to mention that reviewing sites have become more critical and less blinded by hype than before (it still happens a lot, mind you). Things like GTA IV getting the metacritic score it got is frankly ridiculous.

There's also a lot of great games in the indie scene these days that go almost uncovered by gaming media, sometimes achieving great success with gamers before it even gets a review by a major publication. Those are largely unrepresented in metacritic despite their quality.
The games are worse.
More like gaming journalism decreased worthless hyperbole.

Reviewers have edged a little more toward being actual critics and not just hypemen.

One thing I've noticed is it seems like indie games that are not super hyped have 'realer' review averages. Like a small indie game that gets a 70 is usually actually good and not a disaster such as when AAA games get a metacritic score like that.

Mobile games is the opposite, it's even more inflated and hype-ier than AAA. Everything gets above a 90.

Which, coincidentally or not, seems to correlate with the degree of aggressive marketing and PR work in each sector.

Randomizer

Nintendo consoles being so low is blowing my mind. I'd understand if it was home consoles only but this includes handhelds too. The GBA, NDS and 3DS have massive libraries of amazing games. The fact that so few of the titles are getting 90+ makes no sense.

Top Bottom