• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem 12 (DS) Fan Translation |OT| Like Shadow Dragon, but good

In 2009, Intelligent Systems released Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, a remake of the very first Fire Emblem game, on the Nintendo DS in an attempt to introduce the Western audience to the game that started it all.

Unfortunately, the game wasn't up to the Fire Emblem standard and received wide criticism. The complaints included:

• Shallow story
  • Multiple characters with no more than a few lines of dialogue
  • Having to kill off your characters in order to access bonus maps and characters
  • Very bare-bones Fire Emblem mechanics, including the removal of features from preceding titles

among others.

Intelligent Systems heard those complaints, and addressed all of them in their remake of the sequel to Shadow Dragon, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem. Intelligent Systems addressed the complaints about Shadow Dragon and even went the extra mile, adding new features, to ensure that this title would stand out. These new features include:

• A create-a-character feature to function as the player's avatar. Similar to the Fire Emblem 7 tactician, but playable.
  • Units "go exploring" when the game isn't being played and can find items or EXP.
  • For the first time, Intelligent Systems acknowleged the people who don't like Fire Emblem's signature perma-death, and added a new mode without it.

All for the benefit of introducing new players to the series.

And of course then NoA decides not to localize it.

So a group of intrepid young fellows set out to do what Nintendo would not. They are known as...

The Heroes of Shadow

and they've translated pretty much everything! Seriously, this might be the most complete Fire Emblem fan translation to date. They've even translated all the BS episodes and all. And they're not going to be annoying weaboos about it - they're following the Shadow Dragon translation as canon, so you'll be seeing Caeda here, not Sheeda.

Look at screenshots!

spVWV.png

1oJTA.png

1R7vF.png

sWXuN.png
57SCz.png
KGZtu.png

Yeah, and you see the Japanese text in those last few screenshots? Those are old pictures. They translated those too.

So, basically, pretty much, these guys are amazing. And you can experience just how amazing they are! And also the game is pretty good. Let's just hope the Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 teams can be half this amazing.

Presenting:
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
Heroes of Light and Shadow

Patch status:
It's not out yet. Wait for 1-5 days!

BONUS FEATURES
Iwata Asks: Fire Emblem: Heroes of Light and Shadow
Interview with Agro of the translation team

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

I am not kidding, I am crying with tears of happiness here ;_____________________;

Making a post in this thread so that I can keep track and know when the patch is up!

Groovy.

I don't suppose IS made the level system less random?

I don't think so. It seems to be the same as the one in SD, which I believe has something to do with the internal clock.

fake edit: there also seems to be a new thing, added in the prep-screen arena. You know how Bonus EXP level-ups were different from regular level-ups in Radiant Dawn? Apparently there's something similar here:

Training arena stat gains

When a character levels up in the Battle Preparation's training arena (but not the arenas on the map), the number of stats that they gain is slightly fixed. The character's full (personal + class) growth rates are summed up for all stats that aren't yet capped, and for each 100% the character will be guaranteed one stat gain, while the remaining percentage is the chance of the character gaining a further stat point.

Eg. The sum of Marth's full growth rates is 395% (when no stats are capped), which means that he will always gain at least 3 stat ups and has a 95% chance of gaining a fourth stat.

So if you're only concerned about gaining the most number of stat points, the best classes to train as would be Fighter or Warrior (growth rate total of 115%) for males with access to Reclass set B and Cavalier, Paladin, Archer, Sniper, Myrmidon or Swordmaster (growth rate total of 90%) for other characters who can Reclass. The Maturity Drop also helps, boosting a character's growth rate total by 90%.

Jawmuncher

I was playing Shadow Dragon......I didn't like.
Totally throwing that game out of my backlog and giving it to a friend.
Will start Fire Emblem on the 3DS when it finally decides to come out since it looks awesome.

Astra

Oh man, I didnt even know this existed. Thanks a lot! I had given up any hope of playing this one. Time to import this bitch!

Groovy.

I don't suppose IS made the level system less random?

Every Fire Emblem has the same basic level system, so no.

However, they did increase growth rates so you're much more likely to get good levels compared to Shadow Dragon.

For comparison, here's Marth's Growth Rates in FE11:

HP:80%
STR:50%
SKL:40%
SPD:50%
LUK:70%
DEF:20%
RES:2%

And here's his Growth Rates in FE12:

HP:90%
STR:60%
SKL:65%
SPD:65%
LUK:80%
DEF:30%
RES:5%

So overall when Marth levels up in FE12, he'll get a lot better level ups.

How well received was this game in comparison to other FEs?

I haven't really heard anything bad about it. Everything I've heard seems to be positive, that this is one of the better games in the series and so forth. I'm fairly certain it got pretty good reviews, too. I played it in Japanese and it was quite good.

Interesting. How do I play this legally? I assume I have to import first?
Yeah, import it, dump the game using a flashcart, patch the dumped rom on your computer, play the patched game from the flashcart.

From what I've seen, it's $57 on yesasia and $65 on playasia. I haven't looked at japanese sites yet and I wouldn't ebay it because IIRC DS games can be bootlegged.

PokéKong

Wasn't this a remake of the first Super Famicom Fire Emblem, which was a sequel to the first game and actually included all the original missions in addition to new ones? It already rendered the first game obsolete before they remade it, it was a pretty big blunder of IS not to just make this game in the first place. And then we more likely would've gotten it localized. I'm really glad a group is finally making this right.

Uthred

Does one need to have played the first game before giving this one a go? i.e. does the story follow directly on from the first?

PokéKong;44508903 said:
Wasn't this a remake of the first Super Famicom Fire Emblem, which was a sequel to the first game and actually included all the original missions in addition to new ones? It already rendered the first game obsolete before they remade it, it was a pretty big blunder of IS not to just make this game in the first place. And then we more likely would've gotten it localized. I'm really glad a group is finally making this right.
IIRC it only includes book 2 of the original Monshō no Nazo, book 1 being covered by the first DS game, as you pointed out.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, import it, dump the game using a flashcart, patch the dumped rom on your computer, play the patched game from the flashcart.

From what I've seen, it's $57 on yesasia and $65 on playasia. I haven't looked at japanese sites yet and I wouldn't ebay it because IIRC DS games can be bootlegged.
Looks like I have a decision to make. I'll wait for impressions - will probably end up biting.

If I wanted to play this on my 3DS, which flashcart would I use and where would I get it? Would it work reliably?

Or would it be better to just play it on my (fat) DS?

vareon

Thanks.

The cost of importing this then buying a flashcart seems too high for me. By the time I get the money Awakening will be out, lol.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I will keeping an eye on this. New "No perma death mode"? Might just be the first FE game I play since FE7 on GBA.

Looks like I have a decision to make. I'll wait for impressions - will probably end up biting.

If I wanted to play this on my 3DS, which flashcart would I use and where would I get it? Would it work reliably?

Or would it be better to just play it on my (fat) DS?
I honestly couldn't tell you how these would work on 3DS, I don't own one precisely because I can't import/patch 3DS games so I don't know the state of the art of DS carts on 3DS. I've been using an acekard 2i with my DSi for ages without any kind of trouble.

Oh awesome. I'll snag a copy of Yahoo Auctions Japan and then get the patch.
That's what I had in mind, haven't looked at prices yet though.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So, can I buy the japanese game and play it in English legally on my DS in any way?

So, can I buy the japanese game and play it in English legally on my DS in any way?
Depending on how legal flashcarts are considered where you live, yes:

IrishNinja

man i havent finished a single FE game yet, but i get hype for everyone of em these days...this looks really cool!

also i didn't realize how high on the list of NOA's localization sins this game obviously belongs, damn

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Actually, I think this isn't legal in Germany, because you'd have to circumvent a copy protection I'd guess? Too bad, why can't Nintendo just agree with those translators on a procentual fee and release the game here, using that translation :(.

Every Fire Emblem has the same basic level system, so no.

However, they did increase growth rates so you're much more likely to get good levels compared to Shadow Dragon.

Yes, I'm aware of that, it's the only thing I dislike about the series.

Good to know I'm less likely to need to restart an entire level just because one of my characters effectively got nerfed by a levelup though. Is the growth generous by general FE standards, or just compared to SD?

Terra_Ex

Damn, I'm so behind with my Fire Emblems, still got the GBA editions sat on a shelf unplayed. Will definitely check this out though, looks pretty good and since Nintendo elected not to bring it over it's likely one of the better ones.

Ranger X

Damn, I'm so behind with my Fire Emblems, still got the GBA editions sat on a shelf unplayed. Will definitely check this out though, looks pretty good and since Nintendo elected not to bring it over it's likely one of the better ones.

Oh God, both GBA ones (at least those released in America) are EXCELLENT. Hurry up.

Codeblue

I totally forgot about this. Subscribed.

How are the translations for 4 and 5 compared to 6? I was sort of holding out for remakes but it looks like that probably isn't going to happen.

MYE

Besides me sucking pretty hard at them, I think these games are a bit too wordy. I'm giving it another shot with the 3DS one though.

squall23

To this day, I'm still amazed at the fact that Nintendo approached Shirow Masamune or vice versa to do the character designs.

Necrovex

Subscribed. It'll be a little while before I can play this patch, since I am playing TOR, Persona 2, and Paper Mario. But when I complete those games, I'll finish Shadow Dragon and jump right into this sucker. It's been too long since I had a Fire Emblem game!

kswiston

It's supposed to be one of the best Fire Emblems.

However I will pass on Fire Emblem 11 and 12, I just HATE the artwork.

I hate the art for this game, and am not the biggest fan of the 3DS game's art, but these aren't comic books, so I am not going to deprive myself of a couple of awesome strategy games over one aesthetic I don't like.

I will need to look into acquiring a copy of this game once the patch drops. Been awhile since I have purchased an import game. I think the last one I bought was the Asian version of Afrika for PS3 like 3-4 years ago.

Top Bottom