• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem: Awakening Releases Feb 4th in NA

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Etrian Odyssey IV + Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate + Dragon Quest VII + Luigi's Mansion 2 + Animal Crossing: New Leaf + Fire Emblem: Awakening + Possible localizations of SMT: Soul Hackers and SMT IV = Year of the 3DS

actually, all that my PAL 3DS needs is just to get some f***ing localization from Japanese existing games...

Btw, can't wait to play this game. Any news about DLC for western release?

So april in europe means it will probably come dubbed.
Not that I mind, the english voices of the wii fire emblem were horrible and the spanish were really good.

Chrom

actually, all that my PAL 3DS needs is just to get some f***ing localization from Japanese existing games...

Btw, can't wait to play this game. Any news about DLC for western release?

For America, we just know that it's happening.

For Europe, we know that it's happening, and they used Marth's, Ike's, and Ephraim's as examples.

Not that I mind, the english voices of the wii fire emblem were horrible and the spanish were really good.
The European Nintendo Direct actually shows different voice actors as opposed to the American version.

Ezalc

Am I the only one that wishes that when it comes time to have an FE on the Wii U, that they go back to FE4 style maps? Those were so good man. They were HUGE, and they were incredibly sexy. Especially if you put them all together and see how they basically made up the continent of Jugdral.

Codeblue

There's Ephraim DLC? I thought I was the only one who remembered he existed. Definitely one of my favorite lords.

Started reading a couple pages back. Had no clue what "waifu" meant. Thought it was one of those inside terms (like "RNG blessed" or something) for top tier characters. That clearly wasn't holding up the further I went along. Googled the term. I hate you all. :(

8-4 Play explained the term to their listeners pretty recently then exposed them to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwP7-VpYtp0

Am I the only one that wishes that when it comes time to have an FE on the Wii U, that they go back to FE4 style maps? Those were so good man. They were HUGE, and they were incredibly sexy. Especially if you put them all together and see how they basically made up the continent of Jugdral.

I would be curious to see what would happen if they tried to combine FE4's enormous, outdoor maps with the varied mission goals of the later FEs. They could also include both styles of map, with the smaller ones standing in for castle sieges. The recent games have had some pretty large outdoor maps after all.

vareon

Question to those who played the Japanese version: Does My Unit have his/her own dialogue lines or we are being referred in first person?

Ezalc

I would be curious to see what would happen if they tried to combine FE4's enormous, outdoor maps with the varied mission goals of the later FEs. They could also include both styles of map, with the smaller ones standing in for castle sieges. The recent games have had some pretty large outdoor maps after all.

They did, but the outdoor maps were nowhere near the size of the maps in FE4. I definitely like your idea, though I feel that the last castle raid should also be a huge map and have your units start outside the castle walls and slowly move into the gigantic palace of the badguy.

NeonZ

One of the DLC chapters is based on a FE4 map. It's the prologue one though, so it's the smallest one they could choose.

Question to those who played the Japanese version: Does My Unit have his/her own dialogue lines or we are being referred in first person?

There are 5 voice choices for each gender. Four of them have dialogue lines, but one of them makes the My Unit completely silent and also rewrites the dialogue of the other characters to fill in for the My Unit's lack of dialogue (so a silent My Unit isn't stranger than a standard silent protagonist, unlike what would have happened if it just never spoke and everyone else kept their standard lines).

I am curious to see how much of the DLC we receive in the west. I assume we will receive the stuff with Marth, Lynn, The Sacred Stones Twins, Ike and Michaiah, but there were several DLC packs focusing on characters from the games that never came here. If Nintendo was smart, they would release all of them, because the type of person who will buy those packs has probably played most of the import titles via fan translations.

Well, the trailer showed that Alm's Sword is in the game. If they're smart, I think they should just release the DLC in packs. That way they could always bundle together American characters alongside Japan-only ones. Japan-only characters appear even in the DLC maps of the American characters anyway (For example, Marth's DLC includes female characters from every Fire Emblem as enemies - that includes Japan-only ones. Also, every character has dialogue in those maps, so they'd need to rewrite a bunch of stuff if they wanted to replace characters), so there's no way they could exclude them completely without doing a heavy redesign of the DLC maps.

kswiston

They did, but the outdoor maps were nowhere near the size of the maps in FE4. I definitely like your idea, though I feel that the last castle raid should also be a huge map and have your units start outside the castle walls and slowly move into the gigantic palace of the badguy.

If they really wanted to mix up the formula for once, Fire Emblem could combine FE4 style giant maps with sub-goals/missions. You still have to seize the throne, but there are other things to do on the way if you choose. Defeat sub-bosses, hold forts for X turns, etc.

Well, the trailer showed that Alm's Sword is in the game. If they're smart, I think they should just release the DLC in packs. That way they could always bundle together American characters alongside Japan-only ones. Japan-only characters appear even in the DLC maps of the American characters anyway (For example, Marth's DLC includes female characters from every Fire Emblem as enemies - that includes Japan-only ones. Also, every character has dialogue in those maps, so they'd need to rewrite a bunch of stuff if they wanted to replace characters), so there's no way they could exclude them completely without doing a heavy redesign of the DLC maps.

What you propose sounds like a good idea.

Regarding My Unit voices, I wonder if NOA will bother including as many options with the western version. I hope otherwise, but chances are, this game will sell 100-200k copies LTD. Are they really going to bother having 4 voice actors per gender plus a voiceless option that requires even more dialogue from the other characters?

vareon

There are 5 voice choices for each gender. Four of them have dialogue lines, but one of them makes the My Unit completely silent and also rewrites the dialogue of the other characters to fill in for the My Unit's lack of dialogue (so a silent My Unit isn't stranger than a standard silent protagonist, unlike what would have happened if it just never spoke and everyone else kept their standard lines).

Thanks, that's awesomely cool.

Fuck it I'm insanely hyped. I'd go play other games to help ease the pain.

Ezalc

One of the DLC chapters is based on a FE4 map. It's the prologue one though, so it's the smallest one they could choose.

Awesome, is there a video of this?

If they really wanted to mix up the formula for once, Fire Emblem could combine FE4 style giant maps with sub-goals/missions. You still have to seize the throne, but there are other things to do on the way if you choose. Defeat sub-bosses, hold forts for X turns, etc.

I really wish IS would do this with a Wii U FE. I just hope that if they decide to do a FE on the Wii U that they get some good artists and etc on the job because RD wasn't the prettiest looking thing in many aspects.

Oxx

April for Europe isn't ideal, but March looks pretty packed. February would have been fine, though.

wrowa

When playing on normal, do the missions have some kind of checkpoint system similar to what was seen in Shadow Dragon?

I'm all for permadeath in Fire Emblem games, but I still hate it to lose a unit at the very end of a mission. It always ends up with me replaying the whole mission from scratch and that's just so frustrating. That's why I really enjoyed what they did in SD. Is there anything like it in Shadow Dragon? Or an option to save mid-mission or whatever?

Beelzebub

so this is probably going be the next game that I purchase. Have been eagerly awaiting it, then the following month MH3G...seriously the two games I've wanted the most and have been waiting for the longest. feels so good its finally coming :)

I would buy all the dlc.

Yep. If for no other reason then to help ensure future fire emblem games get localized.

I really looking forward to this. I really hope that my unit becomes a feature in future games. I just feel more attached to the characters and story when I have my own character to be. The marriage system sounds fun, but I'll need to see it in action first hand before I say I want it to be a regular feature.

Javier

I still think they need to remake FE4 and FE5 into one huge game, add back all the stuff from both games that got cut because of time and size limits, and make that the ultimate FE game.

It would be awesome and you know it.

Ezalc

I still think they need to remake FE4 and FE5 into one huge game, add back all the stuff from both games that got cut because of time and size limits, and make that the ultimate FE game.

I would buy 10 copies.

The marriage system sounds fun, but I'll need to see it in action first hand before I say I want it to be a regular feature.

It was great in FE4 and added a lot to the game's replay value. Then again, most of what made it cool in FE4 was story-related, so it's not like every FE ought to try to replicate that.

I would be cool with that. I remember one of the more challenging parts of FE4 being the race to get the Bargain Ring. (of course, that map also required you to take like three full turns to even get in range of the enemies . . . one of the downsides of giant maps). I'd be okay with a set-up where sub-missions like that were more frequent and transparent.

Well, it would be working from good ingredients. Would the gameplay systems change over for the Thracia 776 content (and then back again), or would the remake try to harmonize the gameplay?

NeonZ

Awesome, is there a video of this?

I couldn't find a youtube video, but here's a NicoNico link:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17715957
(This is the map that comes with DLC Leaf).

The player sides with FE3's army (10 units) to fight against Jugdral's complete army (30 units).

The story of these DLC maps with guest characters is mostly about (light spoilers, and this is completely unrelated to the main game's story, but I'm hiding these spoilers anyway)
a portal uniting different worlds and "talismans", magic artifacts that can summon legendary heroes as servants to do their master's will. The player basically goes to different worlds to destroy armies of summoned "heroic spirits" before they can wreak havoc. In that specific map, the player sides with Archanea's army to fight against Jugdral's summoned army.

After clearing the chapter, they find a "Leaf" Talisman and summon him again, this time as their ally. That leads to the conversation at the end of the chapter and to him joining the player's army afterwards if the player chooses that option.

The marriage system sounds fun, but I'll need to see it in action first hand before I say I want it to be a regular feature.

The way they implemented it here makes it more likely to become a recurring feature for the series
, considering how it doesn't need timeskips to work
. On the other hand, that's connected to a main part of the story here too, I wonder if they'd implement it just for gameplay in future games, without needing to write the main story around it...

kswiston

The way they implemented it here makes it more likely to become a recurring feature for the series
, considering how it doesn't need timeskips to work
. On the other hand, that's connected to a main part of the story here too, I wonder if they'd implement it just for gameplay in future games, without needing to write the main story around it...

I am guessing that Waifus are one of the reasons why Fire Emblem sales doubled in Japan with this entry, so I would imagine that the My Unit and marriage systems are here to stay. Romances through the support conversations were a fan favourite anyhow, so it is not surprising that IS chose to both embrace the concept and take it a step further by involving a player created character in the mix.

The European Nintendo Direct actually shows different voice actors as opposed to the American version.

It does? hoping for the glorious return of Xenoblade style British dub, cor blimey, it's the only way to make up for this absolutely excruciating delay.
Seriously i'm really pissed about the delay.

Ezalc

I couldn't find a youtube video, but here's a NicoNico link:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17715957
(This is map that comes with DLC Leaf).

The player sides with FE3's army (10 units) to fight against Jugdral's complete army (30 units).

The story of these DLC maps with guest characters is mostly about (light spoilers, and this is completely unrelated to the main game's story, but I'm hiding these spoilers anyway)
a portal uniting different worlds and "talismans", magic artifacts that can summon legendary heroes as servants to do their master's will. The player basically goes to different worlds to destroy armies of summoned "heroic spirits" before they can wreak havoc. In that specific map, the player sides with Archanea's army to fight against Jugdral's summoned army.

After clearing the chapter, they find a "Leaf" Talisman and summon him again, this time as their ally. That leads to the conversation at the end of the chapter and to him joining the player's army afterwards if the player chooses that option.

Amazing. Thanks for the video, I kind of wish Sigurd and Nephenee had gotten a redesign as well though, but oh well.

Chrom

When playing on normal, do the missions have some kind of checkpoint system similar to what was seen in Shadow Dragon?

I'm all for permadeath in Fire Emblem games, but I still hate it to lose a unit at the very end of a mission. It always ends up with me replaying the whole mission from scratch and that's just so frustrating. That's why I really enjoyed what they did in SD. Is there anything like it in Shadow Dragon? Or an option to save mid-mission or whatever?

It's sort of there, just not in the same style as Shadow Dragon. Casual Mode gives you Battle Saves like in Radiant Dawn, which are practically the same thing but more accessible.

Javier

Well, it would be working from good ingredients. Would the gameplay systems change over for the Thracia 776 content (and then back again), or would the remake try to harmonize the gameplay?
Definitely more harmonized gameplay, but I would prefer finding some sort of sweetspot between the two games. FE4 plays very differently from the rest of the series and there are a lot of things people would definitely find off about it (No Trading!). FE5, while closer to the more recent FEs in terms of gameplay, is ridiculously difficult on a blind run, yet extremely easy to break on replays.

Ezalc

That DLC video, damn that was horrible. The person let a bunch of people die and then at the end Sigurd didn't massacre the enemy army! So many different feels man.

Artemisia

Banned
That DLC video, damn that was horrible. The person let a bunch of people die and then at the end Sigurd didn't massacre the enemy army! So many different feels man.

AND he turned animations off after a certain point.

It just becomes boring to watch then. The battle animations are what make Fire Emblem unique.

AND he turned animations off after a certain point.

It just becomes boring to watch then. The battle animations are what make Fire Emblem unique.

First thing I do in any FE game is turn off the animations. I can't imagine how much slower the game must be for people who keep them on the whole time.

tuffy

I trust this one still lets you toggle animations character-by-character. I like to keep a few of them on, but most everybody gets the fast battles.

CSX

I trust this one still lets you toggle animations character-by-character. I like to keep a few of them on, but most everybody gets the fast battles.

I hope so. Those generals from radiant dawn were annoying to watch

Gestahl

I just loathe the idea of permanently losing characters I've worked hard to develop. Especially if it happens due to something like a critical hit, which is out of my control. Bleh.

Yeah, when I'm playing FE12 on hard, have a fort surrounded waiting for enemy reinforcements on CH4, and a fucking silver axe wielding bandit of all things pops out and one shots a 2/3rds health Cecille I grow more and more thankful for mid-battle saves.

Chrom

You have the option to set animations individually for your units like in past games, yes.

A.E Suggs

My first FE waifu was Lyn, but my heart belongs to Nephenee.

I like you again :).

That Pegasus Knight woman will have my sword.

And my bow.

And my axe.
image.php

This should be used anytime you use a spoiler tag, it works so well.

A.E Suggs

I didn't think anything could make me not want a new portable Fire Emblem but this thread is managing it admirably

Why you so afraid of cheesecake :0. You could be like me and just not talk about it and the fire-emblem fanbase has always more or less talked about these things in general even if the game didn't have marriages.

Gah guess that gives me another reason to eventually buy a 3DS and will make not owning one a bit of a pain...

Anyway, all this talk of My Unit reminds me. Ever wondered what the stats of the Fe7 tactician were like?:
tactician2.png

At least he has stats and a proper portrait on the character used for map appearances. Thats more than Ephidel got...
Also he has more defence than this boss...
worst-boss.png

My memory is foggy but IIRC it is still the second largest map in FE4, as all the other maps are the same size (in terms of tiles, though which can be made up of large lakes, mountain ranges etc). IIRC the prologue is half the height but the same width. I think that width is 64 tiles.

Socreges

Banned
First thing I do in any FE game is turn off the animations. I can't imagine how much slower the game must be for people who keep them on the whole time.
Yep. Really, I'd guess it would take at least 20-50% longer if you were watching every animation. That's a lot of hours added on. No thanks.

Cycloid

Neo Member

Are you saying previous FEs had multiple voice selection?

I really hope Awakening has the original Japanese. Doubtful though.

Are you saying previous FEs had multiple voice selection?

I really hope Awakening has the original Japanese. Doubtful though.

Im pretty sre that was not the case, but maybe you could select any european language by changing the system language.
I heard the american voices in the GC game (was not dubbed to multiple languages) and in youtube for the wii one, they were abosolutly atrocious, still we had to hear the american Ike in Brawl. The spanish voices of the wii game were really good, and some of the cast was from the famous spanish dub Metal Gear Solid for PSX had.
Thats why I said that if april is to take time by adding a superior spanish voice selection (i know other european countries get pretty bad nintendo dubs so they are not so happy) I will be happy. That or if the UK english voices are as good as the xenoblade dub (if it doesnt come in multilanguage), wouldnt mind that either.

Yep. Really, I'd guess it would take at least 20-50% longer if you were watching every animation. That's a lot of hours added on. No thanks.

You can fast forward, though. (Dunno about other games in the series).

And change to first person perspective, which was super disorientating.

Chrom

You can fast forward, though. (Dunno about other games in the series).

And change to first person perspective, which was super disorientating.

Awakening is the only game that lets you fast forward through battle animations, which I think is neat that it allows for that.

First person perspective...yeah let's not talk about that.

Awakening is the only game that lets you fast forward through battle animations, which I think is neat that it allows for that.

First person perspective...yeah let's not talk about that.

Ah, well there you go. Of course, if you're fast forwarding through the animations, you're almost better off turning them off. Although, I don't remember an option for individual characters although you could specify 'ally units' or 'press A to watch animation'.

And yeah...First person was pretty awkward, especially for characters riding animals.

Top Bottom