• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

RiggyRob

Oh hey, a Black Knight costume for Mii Swordfighter in smash. That's pretty neat, actually.

8d4b496111.jpg

Looks silly, but hey, I'll take it!

Better than nothing I guess >.>

Draxal

I wish the Black Knight was a playable character in Brawl instead of Robin or Lucina or Roy. He would've been more unique than the latter two mechanically as well.

That or Volug. His abs could solo the entire cast.

Err, no offense, but the black knight would have been way down the list of playable characters from fire emblem, and we would of gotten Wrys from Shadow Dragon over Volug.

Golnei

This has already been covered to death, but I thought it was interesting, considering how common it is to view LGBT representation as a Western concern. A Japanese campaign page was recently created to raise awareness about the problems with Fire Emblem Fates' depiction of same-sex relationships and gay characters; including the tokenistic choice of partners and the Soleil support conversation debacle (which Japanese lesbian-focused site Gachirezu also wrote about).
(translation of the article)

A few of the comments talk about how the options that do exist feel more like attempts to pander to otaku rather than exist as any form of representation; and both the article and comments bring up the conversion therapy analogy.
2: “This is too much [lit: too terrible]. Though in Japan these sorts of “treatments” are not done out in the open, in America and other countries these “treatments” ruin so many same-gender-loving people’s lives… Nintendo is terrible for being so insensitive! Plus, it feels awful to see lesbians being fetishized like this. The worst.”
3: “Terrible. [There are] no words.”
5: “This is awful, Nintendo.”
7: “I guess they’re really selling it to the ‘yuri moe’ fanboys who don’t care about respecting sexual orientation. But if they can distort her character this way, I guess the developers don’t have any love for her. Besides the homophobic bullshit, it’s likely just a boring game, haha“
8: “[Developers] should consult LGBP [people] when they represent them”
9: “What an awful, half-baked attempt to capture lesbians and fujoshi”
Again, this is in no way a large, organised backlash; but it does show that many concerns about LGBT representation and portrayal of same-sex relationships are also seen as issues among Japanese consumers. Or maybe it's just evidence that delusional social justice warriors will hysterically shriek at developers to obey their minority agenda regardless of country.

GSR

I wanted to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt - and I still think most of the trouble comes from a place of ignorance and not malice - but the LGBT writing in Fates is a hot mess for the most part. I almost get the feeling they told the writers "we're taking heat, you have to include gay characters" and the writers were struggling to actually do so.

So for everyone who was around during Awakening's post release, when did we get all of the character art by Kozaki? Was it through an art book that was released some time after the game came out or was it just sent out in a press release? I want to see some more of that sweet artwork for the Fates characters.

So for everyone who was around during Awakening's post release, when did we get all of the character art by Kozaki? Was it through an art book that was released some time after the game came out or was it just sent out in a press release? I want to see some more of that sweet artwork for the Fates characters.

It was released consistently with the official site updates pre-release, then sporadically after the game came out and finally everything was shown in the Knights of Iris artbook.

I have a feeling that the artwork might be delayed since Yusuke Kozaki is also working on the manga.

It was released consistently with the official site updates pre-release, then sporadically after the game came out and finally everything was shown in the Knights of Iris artbook.

I have a feeling that the artwork might be delayed since Yusuke Kozaki is also working on the manga.

Ah, I didn't know about the manga. Thanks for the info.

I wanted to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt - and I still think most of the trouble comes from a place of ignorance and not malice - but the LGBT writing in Fates is a hot mess for the most part. I almost get the feeling they told the writers "we're taking heat, you have to include gay characters" and the writers were struggling to actually do so.

Yeah; they probably didn't mean any harm, but the writing team could have done a lot better. Let's hope they do a better job next time.

Also, speaking about the cards, I'm a little disappointed that the GBA games didn't get as much cards as Awakening or the Archanea games...probably because a lot of my favourite characters didn't really pop up in any of those sets, like the Ilian Pegasus Sisters or Lugh and Raigh. But FE3 and Awakening really raked in the cash, so...

Yeah; they probably didn't mean any harm, but the writing team could have done a lot better. Let's hope they do a better job next time.

Also, speaking about the cards, I'm a little disappointed that the GBA games didn't get as much cards as Awakening or the Archanea games...probably because a lot of my favourite characters didn't really pop up in any of those sets, like the Ilian Pegasus Sisters or Lugh and Raigh. But FE3 and Awakening really raked in the cash, so...

It's mostly Archanea and Awakening because they're the oldest and most recent titles respectively. Not counting Fates since it's "too new" for merchandise.

Cross your fingers for the Fire Emblem Cipher TCG to expand to Elibe ; )

Series 3 is already confirmed to have Path of Radiance characters and I'm fairly confident the TCG will expand past it. Elibe sounds like the best Series 4 candidate, thanks to Roy being Smash DLC.

Draxal

Wonder if Emma and Shade are going to be dlced into Cipher. I hope they can also marry the rest of the cast as the well, due to um ... to the male kamui issue where there's not enough eligible bachelorettes for all the menfolk in the game.

Emma and Shade are the card game exclusive (so far) pegasus warrior and dark mage.

well this guy uploaded a lot of tracks, but most of them are extended to 1 hour which is stupid
It's annoying to DL, but it's the easiest way to listen to music on Youtube almost endlessly : P

Wonder if Emma and Shade are going to be dlced into Cipher. I hope they can also marry the rest of the cast as the well, due to um ... to the male kamui issue where there's not enough eligible bachelorettes for all the menfolk in the game.

Emma and Shade are the card game exclusive (so far) pegasus warrior and dark mage.
I'm hoping they will be, but they'll probably be guest characters who can't support.

Although I'm surprised DLC codes for them aren't available from Cipher series 2, considering their cards debut there...

Draxal

It's annoying to DL, but it's the easiest way to listen to music on Youtube almost endlessly : P

I'm hoping they will be, but they'll probably be guest characters who can't support.

Although I'm surprised DLC codes for them aren't available from Cipher series 2, considering their cards debut there...

Yeah, that's the only reason I'm not expecting them to be guest characters per se, because they should have been starter codes like marth and Lucina.

I'm expecting them to come with wave 2 of dlc, but they'll probably be malekamuisexual.

L95

Looks like I'm skipping 3 and 4 for the time being, not really interested in getting so many fates cards, I don't care about Tellius that much. I'd like more Archanea peeps but I don't care for more Awakening peeps. Unless wave 4's mystery game is one I really like.

Looks like I'm skipping 3 and 4 for the time being, not really interested in getting so many fates cards, I don't care about Tellius that much. I'd like more Archanea peeps but I don't care for more Awakening peeps. Unless wave 4's mystery game is one I really like.

burn the heretic!!!
lol j/k

wait, you have finished Fates right?

Josephl64

Yes.

I really don't hate Tellius, but I have this strange, powerful, apathy towards it, I don't hate them at all, but I don't like them either lol.

That's kind of like me actually. Really waiting for wave 4 as that's the one I'm most excited about from waves 2-4

Draxal

It honestly depends on the starter/booster box bonuses to me.

the cross art cards look very nice

kinda dull to go back to awakening/shadow dragon already though

It's dull, but they have to flesh out the factions for the card game.

So recently I started an Ironman/No Reset run of Path of Radiance. Its my first time playing the game in about 5 years. I made it to Chapter 10 (the one where you free the prisoners and get Kieran and Nephenee and Brom) without any losses. So on this map I decide to bring along Mist as my healer. Last time I had Rhys as my main healer and I only buffed up Mist at the end for supporting Ike with the Black Knight. I was really looking forward to using Mist as my main healer this time.

So on the first turn there aren't a lot of soldiers, around, and so I decided to have Mist and a few other frailure units like Volke hang back a bit. I anticipated enemy reinforcements because the start of the mission has maybe 7 units. What I didn't expect were reinforcements to come in on the first turn. I also didn't expect them to come in from every entryway all at once...including the one the team starts at. And finally, I didn't expect these reinforcements to come in at the START of the turn (no the game doesn't warn you via boss chatter until right before it happens).

And so because of this, Mist got attacked by 2 of the unexpected pincer striking reinforcements and got a "grave injury" (due to plot importance she doesn't die). Not only does this ruin me using Mist this run, and make the future Black Knight fight harder, it also means the rest of this chapter is going to be hell because, again, I only brought in Mist to heal. I expected sad deaths and epic fails on my part, but not something like this...

Draxal

Yes.

I really don't hate Tellius, but I have this strange, powerful, apathy towards it, I don't hate them at all, but I don't like them either lol.

Did you manage to pick up the Cipher strat guide? I' have a couple incoming from yesasia, but i'm not expecting it for like a month.

Draxal

Only thing I can add to this is while the LGBT relationships were a hot mess, pretty much all of the romantic supports from Awakening + Fates are a hot mess. I don't think you can target Tharja/Zero as being especially egregious (except for the fact that they're the only option).

The Soleil issue ... otoh is a complete fiasco.

Only thing I can add to this is while the LGBT relationships were a hot mess, pretty much all of the romantic supports from Awakening + Fates are a hot mess. I don't think you can target Tharja/Zero as being especially egregious (except for the fact that they're the only option).

The thing about Tharja/Zero being the only options is that it leaves a bad first impression.

Oh yeah, the stalker and the sadistic are your only gay options in this game, can just have people make connections about what IS thinks same sex relationships should be.

Hey now, there's a handful of actually decent S supports between those two games!

lol

I managed to beat that chapter without losing anyone else, but I'm still bummed about losing Mist, and worried about the future Ragnell situation. I guess Rhys gets to be a longtime member of this team after all.

I suppose its better than a character actually DYING.

Golnei

The thing about Tharja/Zero being the only options is that it leaves a bad first impression.

Oh yeah, the stalker and the sadistic are your only gay options in this game, can just have people make connections about what IS thinks same sex relationships should be.

The unfortunate implications of those characters' personalities combined with the lack of same-sex S-supports not involving the the avatar and characters who can only have partners of the same sex does seem to leave the impression that LGBT characters are viewed at best as a joke, novelty or fetish; or at worst as a mental illness. And that's disregarding Soleil...

Again, it's plausible no harm was meant, but they really have to completely change their approach to the concept of same-sex relationships if they want to continue including them in the series. Maybe they'll just leave it out of future games completely, they clearly see it as a fairly inconsequential feature.

jnWake

Oh my God the
Phantom Ship
level in Sacred Stones is so painful. I have no idea how I didn't lose anyone there. That
Deathgoyle
spawning right there in your ship is some colossal BS... I'm lucky it missed one attack otherwise Tana would've died...

Ephraim's path is rough, Eirika's was much much easier.

alvis.exe

Aw man those PoR cards! <3

Is there any data as to how the cards are selling? Hopefully they make it to Elibe before a hypothetical discontinuation like with the first TCG :(

I want a Matthew card dammit.

Edit: Ugh though I could really do without that T&A shot of Nephenee

Draxal

Aw man those PoR cards! <3

Is there any data as to how the cards are selling? Hopefully they make it to Elibe before a hypothetical discontinuation like with the first TCG :(

I want a Matthew card dammit.

Edit: Ugh though I could really do without that T&A shot of Nephenee

The original TCG wasn't done in house like this one, so unless this one completely bombs I expect it to continue.

I know it's hard to get the original run of card sleeves and the cipher strat book was a pita to get, but I don't know where to locate any sales data.

The original TCG wasn't done in house like this one, so unless this one completely bombs I expect it to continue.

I know it's hard to get the original run of card sleeves and the cipher strat book was a pita to get, but I don't know where to locate any sales data.

Is there a Media Create equivalent for cards? Kappa

(but realistically, the TCG is only going to be bought by a tiny fraction of the player base)

GSR

Truuuuth. I tried to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when the first Soleil stuff was breaking (due in part to the less-than-reliable initial sources) but at this point it's like, the best I can say is the drugging/gay conversion undertones were probably unintentional. Never mind the rest of her character.

Fire Emblem you have such good gameplay, you need to get your writing house back in order.

CSX

Truuuuth. I tried to give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt when the first Soleil stuff was breaking (due in part to the less-than-reliable initial sources) but at this point it's like, the best I can say is the drugging/gay conversion undertones were probably unintentional. Never mind the rest of her character.

Fire Emblem you have such good gameplay, you need to get your writing house back in order.

The solution was to get some famed 30-year vet of manga/anime story writing. Has not paid off it seems :p

Draxal

The solution was to get some famed 30-year vet of manga/anime story writing. Has not paid off it seems :p

I'm 99% sure that he didn't write that support.

Soleil's has an amazing design, but man her character annoys the hell out of me.

edit.

Picked up knights of iris and saw the awakening cd price $400 for a cd okay.

L95

Oh my God the
Phantom Ship
level in Sacred Stones is so painful. I have no idea how I didn't lose anyone there. That
Deathgoyle
spawning right there in your ship is some colossal BS... I'm lucky it missed one attack otherwise Tana would've died...

I love that chapter.

...I like boats.

jnWake

I love that chapter.

...I like boats.

It was fun but stressful, especially since it was my first time playing it.
I also suffered a lot in the previous chapter, I had no idea how to recruit Cormag but I had a lucky clutch sending Tana to try...

Oh my God the
Phantom Ship
Deathgoyle

I got really fed up with that chapter in almost every playthrough I've done for FE8 lol. I pretty much had to not deploy anyone except my tankiest units, which I believe were my cavaliers and Cormag. Even then, I still died a lot.

Top Bottom