• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia Review Thread - No Chrom, Sorry

I just kinda hope that's the reason Nintendo takes away from it because I don't want them to think that the art or something else caused it instead.

To be fair, it sold through most of its shipment, so it probably did as expected. Also, I think IS considers this a stopgap before FE Switch considering the relatively short announcement and quick release.

Plus I am sure even IS have certain expectations for remaking one of the least-known games in the series : P

I'd love to buy a new FE, but conquest gameplay was just so good that i'd rather just play it again.

Ahaha, I can't fault Conquest gameplay. That said, if you have the money to spare, I do recommend supporting Echoes at least. FE is big, but it'll still be in danger if we don't properly support it.

(Of course, I'm not saying you HAVE to buy it ^^)

Draxal

To be fair, it sold through most of its shipment, so it probably did as expected. Also, I think IS considers this a stopgap before FE Switch considering the relatively short announcement and quick release.

Plus I am sure even IS have certain expectations for remaking one of the least-known games in the series : P

^^)

Other big thing for me, is Valentia edition wasn't on the tracker.

If I was a hardcore japanese fan, I would be all over that. The DVD alone was worth it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I actually forgot this was coming out... which is weird, considering I'm a huge FE fan.

Anyway, I hope this delivers. Certainly more than Fates did.

CazTGG

Review'll be up later this week but i'll say this for now: Fire Emblem has produced its best remake out of perhaps the more uneven entry in the entire series. That's an impressive feat on its own. That it manages to balance preserving the original's experimental design while updating the mechanics to be more beginner-friendly as well as improve the story (heck the fact that the story has any prominence) is even more so.

Posted the reviews.

Why was Chrom banned?

Too OP to make it in Smash.

Rutger

Banned
I actually forgot this was coming out... which is weird, considering I'm a huge FE fan.

Anyway, I hope this delivers. Certainly more than Fates did.

Well, depending on what you want, it sounds like it may. Impressions seems to be that it's a step down in the gameplay department, but a step up with story and characters(not that that would be difficult, haha).

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

It was good to read those two opposing views.

I always like reading a critical review of a game that I enjoy and is generally well received. You can tell this type of game just wasn't up the Polygon reviewer's alley, and that's okay. I thought the content of the actual review was good, and just judging by the content I would've guessed he was around in the 8-ish area. He seemed to praise the game a lot and only had a few gripes, but I guess those few gripes were pretty heavy on the overall package.

Draxal

You should post it soonish if the game unlocks at 9pm PST (though I'm not 100% sure it does).

From what I hear, it is quite different. There aren't any pair up machanics. Magic is learned through level up, and costs you HP to use. There is no weapon triangle.

Problem is I um kinda don't have the details. So I'm kinda at a loss lol.

Edit. Change of plans were having kuroneko throw up a quick one.

Steiner

Banned
Review for WWG

Gave it a 4/5

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is a game that proves that novelty doesn't always beget quality. After Fire Emblem Fates left a strange and bitter taste in our mouths, Shadows of Valentia sweeps through and cleanses the palate like a breath of aromatic, freshly-ground coffee. Mmm. Yes, this is the good stuff. This is the curl-up-on-the-couch, Saturday morning brand of strategy RPG, and it's exactly what we've been craving.

BorntoPlay

I have 2 Amazon Preorder for Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of the Valentia Limited Edition for $65 (paypal f&f) NEW PRICE AT COST THIS PREORDER WILL BE CANCELED IN 3 DAYS...

QVjhWjt.jpg

PM if you are interested...

Top Bottom