• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem fans, I ask you to defend your favorite entry in the series.

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

Gameplay wise, the huge maps really make you feel like a tactician. It makes maneuvering your troop as important as actually engaging in combat -- just like real world wars. The process of sacking one city after another offers a sense of continuity, it makes a war feel like a dynamic flow, not an aggregation of static segments.

Story wise, it's the best story in the series hands down. The plot line is bold even in today's standard. Chapter 5 is unexpected, but totally reasonable. As a classic revenge story, the game successfully carries the weight of it, it never feels cheesy. The characters are drawn in broad brush, but they really stick with you, especially the villains. Alvis and Trabant share the title of best villain of the series. More impressively, each of them has less than ten lines. The writing is a beauty of its time (depends on the translator). You don't see this classic play writing style often in videogames (latest example is probably Odin Sphere).

same here, you said it all! Really challenging with a good story that doesn't think your dumb! When you see the story of fate in comparison, it's hard not to scream! (even though i love the gameplay)

Thud

The blazing blade is my favorite. It starts with Lyn's heritage chapter which does an excellent job of explaining the mechanics and slowly building up the world. After finishing this tutorial, you get Eliwood's quest. Starts out as a simple where's my dad and ends on a classic heroic note.

The secondary quest with Hector's point of view is also great. I do think for series veterans unlocking hard mode is a bit eh nowadays, but for me it was a treat. Played through the games many times at random.

I also really like Sacred Stones as a game. It's not that great as a fire emblem game, but I can appreciate its design. Path of Radiance is also a favorite of mine.

Macka

Fire Emblem 7 > Path of Radiance > [Tentative Placement: Echoes] > Sacred Stones > Radiant Dawn >>> Conquest > Awakening > Shadow Dragon

Much prefer the Western-Emblem era games. I have a slight preference for Blazing Sword over Path of Radiance probably just because it was my first. Varied maps and win conditions, a pretty solid story and probably my favourite cast of characters. You have Sain & Kent's fun dynamic. Matthew, Legault and Jaffar have great supports. Raven//Lucius and Jaffar/Nino. Hector and Lyn obviously stand out above the rest. Great game.

Some other favourite characters across the series are L'Arachel, Ike, Black Knight, Mia, Henry and Gregor. I'm playing through Echoes at the moment too and much of the cast will be added to that list. The incredible voice work adds so much, and makes me so excited for Fire Emblem Switch. Alm, Gray, Mae, Leon, Lukas, Kliff, Clive, Saber, Genny, Palla and Clair really stand out so far.

I remember loving Awakening at first, but becoming increasingly more disappointed with it the longer I played, and flat out disliking it on the second playthrough. I'm not a fan of the pair-up mechanic. I think the marriage system caused the supports to be annoyingly formulaic, and I dislike that the characters each have one trait that is what their entire personality is based around. I dislike that you can reclass constantly and make everyone into anything. The maps and win conditions are boring as well.

Draxal

I'm going with Japan Emblem.

3-4-5 Radically different games with strong sound tracks.

6-7-8 rapid fire sequelitis games hurt by the GBA sound hardware (or lack of), so even if the compositions are great they never reached their potential.

9-10 you see Int Sys's ambition come back especially with 10, but 9 especially was hurt by how awful their first experiment with a 3D engine was.

11-12 Prerendered sprites are the worst decision they did.

13-14 I like it more then most people here, but it 14 suffered from being Awakening's sequel and having them thumbtack kids in the last second.

15 Celicas Route and Skirmishes (oh god)

93-00950087383.png

How come FE11 got the ugly label but 9/10 didn't?

9's definitely ugly, but 11-12 are completely soulless.

I'll take it that you hate the series? You didn't explain yourself very well.

He loves the series, but every game has significant flaws.

Good thread, though I honestly won't group the GBA games and Tellius games together as "West Emblem". Granted, I get what you mean, they are the first games to get released in the west and Roy, Ike in Smash and shit, but their similarity pretty ends right there.

Console FE games and handheld FE games are VERY different, cater to very different play-styles (theme, graphics, color scheme, play time allocation). There's no way you get similar feeling between Binding Blade and Path of Radiance.

That said, I have played every FE games in existence, including the original Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (aka "FE1"). I have to say I vastly prefer the console installments over the handheld counterparts. My top 3 FE games are Genealogy, Radiant Dawn, and Thracia. Therefore I don't quite fall under any category the OP has outlined; guess I'm a Jugdral + Tellius guy then?:) I did enjoy Shadows of Valentia a lot though; it is easily my favorite handheld FE game, followed by New Mystery.

I definitely think 6-8 and 9-10 are there own things as there strengths are very different.

I just can't muster the energy for liking SoV, they do everything right except the gameplay is just a pure exercise in tedium.

To be honest, I've mentioned the KAGA > GBA divide. But I do distinctly remember a divide between FE4 and FE5 fans as well, as those two games are completely different in their strengths as well. (I do think they both use gameplay to tell a good story but incredibly different stories).

woopWOOP

Man, I'm not sure if I can put myself in any of these groups. I like them all for all the reasons mentioned in the OP!

I first played through the GBA (and NGC) entries when Awakening was announced. Sometime during/after the different Fates routes I played through 2 and 4. I really like the presentation of the SNES ones (tho I've yet to play 5), graphics and music are classic SNES, top notch. The GBA entries have way better battle animations tho. The level of costumization and ways to breed different child soldiers in the modern ones is strangely addicting too. I can't really comment on the map designs of any of these entries because I'm a scrub that overlevels when given the chance and whose main tactic is "overpower them" anyway. I even enjoyed Gaiden for that reason 8D

If I'm gonna have to pick tho then I'll go with Japan-Emblem, just because I really enjoyed the way FE4 had all these different parties with conflicting interests. If there were actual any three-way battles in that game then it would be by far the best.

Also Fire Emblem Heroes is pretty great as a crossover type game. As long as they keep this flow of new heroes going and not just re-use the same fan favourites in different revealing outfits...

My top 3 are genealogy of the holy war, path of radiance, and awakening, I'll easily defend all 3 if I have to. I think there are stronger and weaker FE titles in all 3 chunks of time for FE.

Japanese FE
Stronger: Genealogy/4 and Mystery/3
Weaker: Thracia/5, Gaiden/2, Shadow/1

Western FE (including 6 in this era)

Stronger: Blazing/7, Path/9, New Mystery/12
Weaker: Sealed/6, Sacred/8, Radiant/10, Shadow/11

Modern FE

Stronger: Awakening/13, Valentia/15
Weaker: Fates/14

I'd still replay every game in the saga and outside of 1/2/5 I can recommend anyone play or start with any game they want (1/2 too old, 5 too hard and janky).

Draxal

Since this is relevant, I'm just posting a smaller Japanese Famitsu poll where they were asked to rank their top simulation games (which includes strategy rpgs + more), as a point of reference, then pulling the fire Emblem games out specifically (and putting numbers next to them).

http://gonintendo.com/stories/282748-famitsu-readers-pick-their-top-20-favorite-simulation-games

20. Sim City (SFC) - 34 pt
19. Front Mission (SFC/WSC) - 38 pt
18. Famicom Wars (FC) - 46 pt
17. Sangokushi 13 (PS4/PS3/XBO/PC) - 50 pt
16. Super Robot Taisen Alpha (PSX/DC) - 56 pt
15. Fire Emblem if (3DS) - 64 pt
14. Tokimeki Memorial ~Forever With You~ (/PSX/SS/PCPSP) - 70 pt
13. Sakura Taisen 4 ~Koi Seyo, Otome~ (DC/PC) - 76 pt
12. Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryu to Hikari no Tsurugi (FC) - 88 pt
11. Kantai Collection -Kancolle- (PC/Android) - 98 pt
10. Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS) - 106 pt
09. Nobunaga no Yabou (PC) - 112 pt
08. Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo (SFC) - 136 pt
07. Sakura Taisen 2 ~Kimi, Shini Tamou Kotonakare~ (PSP/SS/DC/PC) - 142 pt
06. Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX) - 150 pt
05. Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu (SFC) - 176 pt
04. Senjou no Valkyria (PS4/PS3) - 218 pt
03. Tactics Ogre (SFC/PSX) - 252 pt
02. Sakura Taisen 3 ~Paris wa Moeteiru ka~ (PS2/DC/PC) - 334 pt
01. Sakura Taisen (SS/DC/PSP/PC) - 426 pt

5. FE4 - Genealogy of the Holy War
8. FE3 - Mystery of the Emblem
10. FE13 - Fire Emblem Awakening
12. FE1 - Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
15. FE14 - Fire Emblem Fates

StayDead

I love Japan Emblem.

I've played through 1, 2 (Gaiden is hard as hell and I still haven't finished it) and most of 3 and still have 4, 5 and 6 to play.

Each game feels like an epic adventure in it's own right, they're all very different experiences as the series was iterating as it went along.

I also love Modern Emblem (can't say that about Western Emblem time as I haven't played any of them).

I really enjoyed Awakening and I like if. Echoes I'm playing through now as I never finished Gaiden properly and I adore it.

Haganeren

I'm kind of strange about Fire Emblem.
As soon as i saw Marth and Roy in Melee... Like... Two days after having the game, i immediately searched their game on Internet and found Fire Emblem 4 with a very approximate english translation (that i couldn't read at the time). Well, it's like that that i played all Nintendo games to be honest, i didn't knew anyone (except for Mario, Yoshi and the Pokemons) before Smash.

But yeah, so i played Fire Emblem 4 and loved it. It was my first T RPG but somehow i loved how you could "go" to the castle, putting someone up there, the big size of the map which seemed to contain several kingdoms in there was also great for someone who only knew SNES J-RPG. (And uh, other style of PC games...)

But i didn't really understood anything ! Fire Emblem 5 seemed to be even worst with things happening that i couldn't comprehend but it seemed awesome !

So i was here for Fire Emblem 7 and i really liked the experience even if it was very hard to me. (Still is to be honest). It's the only Fire Emblem i have finished... Then 8 came out, it lacked something for me but was still interesting... Then 9 came out and i didn't liked the characters too much, and the 3D was a mess for me !

I didn't played any of the Awakening era. (Even if i have all the games since my sister is a huge fan of Fire Emblem)

So.... Am I a Japan Emblem or a Western Emblem ?
It's true that i don't like PoR but.... I don't like Fire Emblem 1/3 too much either ! And 2 seems way better in the remake too... So i don't know.... But i defenetly think Fire Emblem 4 and 5 are the most interesting entries (that i played) in the whole series and everyone should test it ! (They are doing a new fan translation as we speak)

I love the entire series but PoR/RD are the only games I replay yearly and think about on a regular basis. The story, characters, and the amazing music just really made an impression on me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
My first touch with Fire Emblem were part translations back in the rom scene during the late 90s/early 00s. But some of my favourite times were with Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn. Something special about them. Their focus on characters and story. And how epic it all seemed.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Good thread, though I honestly won't group the GBA games and Tellius games together as "West Emblem". Granted, I get what you mean, they are the first games to get released in the west and Roy, Ike in Smash and shit, but their similarity pretty ends right there.

Console FE games and handheld FE games are VERY different, cater to very different play-styles (theme, graphics, color scheme, play time allocation). There's no way you get similar feeling between Binding Blade and Path of Radiance.

That said, I have played every FE games in existence, including the original Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (aka "FE1"). I have to say I vastly prefer the console installments over the handheld counterparts. My top 3 FE games are Genealogy, Radiant Dawn, and Thracia. Therefore I don't quite fall under any category the OP has outlined; guess I'm a Jugdral + Tellius guy then?:) I did enjoy Shadows of Valentia a lot though; it is easily my favorite handheld FE game, followed by New Mystery.
Yeah, I sort of agree, but I'd have to place Tellius in its own camp in that case, which didn't feel "right." Plus there's the rule of three - three is the number that makes a solid list and catches people's attention without going overboard and losing it, so they got lumped in with the rest of the pre-modern localized games.

There are some similarities though. They still follow the same general tropes as the GBA games with creative alterations.

higemaru

PoR/RD.

An epic, political complex story that incorporates alot of different elements like revenge (ike),
Racism/slavery (laguz) and loyalty/ideals (fighting the wrong battles for your country).

Gameplay is fantastic, especially in Radiant dawn with great map design and objectives.

Characters where pretty interesting for the most part. They felt very involved in the story and some had really good backstories.

I never did mind the weaker Dawn Brigade units. They felt realistic to me because they were a small and young group of freedom fighters.

So yeah. A few reasons why these entries are the best FE games. It also helps that they don't have any animu incest/pedophelia. Not to my knowledge atleast.
Yep, the Tellius games have the strongest cast imo. The world was built up really well in PoR and Radiant Dawn does a good job at utilizing supporting characters established in PoR to tell a much bigger story (Sothe, Lekain, Kurthnaga, etc.) If only IS had included supports in Radiant Dawn, I think the duology would be the fan-favorite.

Fire Emblem 7 has the best maps though. What an impeccable game.

Rutger

Banned
Well, people familiar with the series shouldn't be surprised when I say that FE6 is my favorite. It certainly has some things that will turn people away, like the low hit rates, but those are things I love about it. The game hit the right spot for me with it's difficulty, along with great maps it's just a solid strategy game. And it's soundtrack is begging for the treatment Echoes got, there's a lot of gems being held back by the GBA's sound chip.

I wouldn't say that I fall into any of the categories listed, but I tend to prefer the games after Kaga left the series. Conquest would be my second favorite for it's amazing gameplay. There's still a few I haven't got around to playing yet, FE5 and FE12 being ones I think I'll end up enjoying a lot when I do.

Apenheul

I played all Fire Emblem games in order of release (in the west) but I've never played a Japanese one. From the categories outlined in the OP I think I belong to the West-emblem group. However, my favorite game in the series is Fates Conquest because it challenges the player in more ways than other entries do through the excellent and memorabele level designs. My least favorite is Echoes shadows of Valentia, to me it barely delivers on strategic gameplay but is almost devoid of tactical gameplay. But I can see why the tone of the story appeals to players who look for different things in a Fire Emblem game than I.do.

for me Fire Emblem games are strategical and tactical playgrounds where I can try and devise a strategy that allows uncommon classes to become effective. I'm a min maxer type of player so I care less about story and tone.

Vigamox

Path of Radiance is my favorite. The world building and characters just felt so much more fleshed out and interesting compared to other entries.

Firemind

Awakening is one of the worst games I've played in my life. Completely soulless.

I'm going with Japan Emblem.

3-4-5 Radically different games with strong sound tracks.

6-7-8 rapid fire sequelitis games hurt by the GBA sound hardware (or lack of), so even if the compositions are great they never reached their potential.
People play FE for its music?

Draxal

I don't play the games for the music but they contribute to the atmosphere of the game.

I will say something like Beyond the Sky can almost completely turn me off the game though.

My pick is FE8: The Sacred Stones. It has a place in my heart being my first Fire Emblem and the first one I completed. It maybe a tad on the easier side compared to other entries, but the characters and in particular the villain Lyon, is what makes Sacred Stones great. Plus Seth is a mother fucking beast and one of the best mounted units in all of Fire Emblem next to Sigurd from FE4.

Dyle

From what I've played, which looking at it isn't that much...
Path of Radiance>Radiant Dawn>>Awakening>>Fates:Conquest>>Heroes

The way the continent of Tellius in the Radiant games is handled is superb and the main reason I enjoy the series. The interplay between the beorc and laguz are handled quite well and are so closely intertwined with the rest of the narrative's design that idea feels completely natural rather than a work of fantasy. The politics between the 7 nations are complicated and their motivations are grounded in normal human traits which leads to the actions taken by the heroes to be complex and morally challenging. The level design is punishing but fair and I enjoyed how the laguz characters essentially ran on a cooldown timer. The character designs were also far better and more restrained than what the series has devolved into, almost all the women, and all the men, actually wore armor.

I still enjoy the strategy gameplay of the modern games, but it's hard to embrace the story elements when they've lost all of the grounded charm that I found appealing in the Radiant games.

Mupod

My pick is FE8: The Sacred Stones. It has a place in my heart being my first Fire Emblem and the first one I completed. It maybe a tad on the easier side compared to other entries, but the characters and in particular the villain Lyon, is what makes Sacred Stones great. Plus Seth is a mother fucking beast and one of the best mounted units in all of Fire Emblem next to Sigurd from FE4.

yeah FE8 is maybe my non-joke answer for a similar reason. I haven't actually played a lot of FE games but I finished Sacred Stones multiple times. Ross is my dude.

But thinking about it I don't feel super strongly about any of the games. I enjoyed Awakening and the zeitgeist around it when it was new. Fates didn't hold my attention for long, I got the SE on day 1 and I only finished Birthright + half of Conquest.

I'd really like to try Path of Radiance but getting a copy of that isn't easy these days. FE7 is likely to be the next real FE I play through if I ever find the time.

But FE Heroes really hit the right buttons for me somehow. Stripping out the RNG from combat and putting the strategy behind working with the units and skills you have, seems to work for me. I love creating super overpowered bullshit in games when I'm provided with an adequate challenge to throw myself against...and what could be more challenging than players who have spent hundreds of times more money on the game than me? I should probably feel bad for putting this gacha moneygrab above real video games but I legitimately have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. I think I've got more posts in the OT than anybody else so we're past the point of feeling shame.

Massicot

Probably Path of Radiance. It just felt so...tidy. It had a manageably sized cast of characters, with several being of narrative importance (compared to the GBA games where very few people talk outside of the Lord characters). It had an interesting series of maps with multiple objectives, a pretty grandiose story without going into the "killing god / dragon" tropes. It left teases of a bigger world but didn't exhaust the lore mechanically like FE8 did: you had regions like Goldoa that you barely got to know. The world was bigger than you/the story fragment you took part of and I think the game was better for it.

I also loved the combination of Info conversations as well as bespoke Supports. The whole cast seemed well fleshed out and fully realized. I also really like the art style.

The one main drawback is the laguz. Mechanically they just don't hold up in game, though lore-wise I think it's an interesting take on fantasy discrimination.

Radiant Dawn is still okay, but it's just relatively sloppy. There are too many characters (yes, I beieve there should be an upper limit.) This is exacerbated by the fact that so many have pretty awful availability. You might get a character for a few chapters and then not see them again for a few acts. I feel like the scope of the game got too messy and Micaiah was pretty forgettable outside of being a vessel for another character.

I'd say Birthright. I'm definitely in the "Modern Emblem" camp, and the only games in the franchise I've played are Awakening and Birthright, so my scope isn't very big at all, but I like the modern games because they allow you to disable permadeath (without which I would have a very hard time).

As far as Awakening v Birthright, I really liked both of them, but I enjoyed Birthright more: I enjoyed the story more, I liked the characters more, and I liked the soundtrack more too ("Lost in Thoughts all alone" is a game song that I can listen to outside of the game and enjoy, which doesn't usually happen for me). Also, I preferred that the weapons didn't break so it wasn't as much to micromanage and keep track of. All of this isn't to say that Awakening is bad, and I definitely enjoyed it (especially because it introduced me to the franchise) but I enjoyed Birthright more.

McNum

I joined the series with Path of Radiance. But making me pick between that and Awakening for a favorite Fire Emblem is... difficult.

On one hand, I love the cast of PoR. Ike is a great protagonist who grows over the story, the world is amazing with the different nations and how the grand politics are used in, but never dominate, the story. Ike gets to play useful idiot for nobles enough that he starts getting savvy. And of course The black Knight. Great antagonist, great theme music. You know he's not to be messed with.

On the other, I like having an Avatar character in Awakening, and Chrom is a great buddy to fight along side of. The more open design that, yes, allowed grinding is a plus in my book, and the focus on supports and the gameplay it adds is also fun, if kind of OP. In fact on Normal in Awakening, you have to play really carefully to not get OP. It does need a good antagonist, though.

I think, if someone were to make the ultimate Fire Emblem for me, it'd have the scope of and worldbuilding of PoR, the openness and Avatar system from Awakening, and the production values of Shadows of Valentia. If that is the new standard for Fire Emblem, it's going to be fun. There are some supports in the earlier games I'd love to hear fully voiced.

I never really got into the GBA ones. Got Sacred Stones as a 3DS Ambassador game, but... never really clicked for me. Played Shadow Dragon and... no. Just no.

Lynx_7

I don't strongly identify with any given group. I like Kaga Emblem's ambitious design and story telling, I like GBA Emblem's simplicity and how they strike a nice blance between gameplay, story and characters, and I like how Modern Emblem is stepping it up in therms of gameplay (Conquest) and presentation (Echoes).

That said, if you asked me what my ideal Fire Emblem would be, it'd probably be a mix of Kaga Emblem with Conquest-tier gameplay and modern design sensibilities.

I've played the western handheld games extensively and dabbled with most of the rest. I have a hard time picking between the GBA games and the modern 3DS games as I feel they both have unique qualities that make them special. That said, if I had to pick I'd probably go with Conquest, Awakening, and FE7 as my top 3. Each are among my favorite video games ever created.

For the record, from my view, Awakening is a magnificent achievement and is truly the monumental celebration of the Fire Emblem series that it set out to be. Blasphemy to some but I've been down that road on GAF before and don't care to tread it again.

I'd love to play more of the older games, particularly PoR, but I don't think it'll happen unless they bring it to Switch.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't play the games for the music but they contribute to the atmosphere of the game.

I will say something like Beyond the Sky can almost completely turn me off the game though.
That's one of my favorite tracks in the series.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I guess I'd have to say that middle era, based primarily on the strength of Path of Radiance. That game had such great aesthetics, solid writing, and excellent mission design. Like, that four-part forest battle where your weapons keep getting worn more and more down and you start tweaking out by the end of it? That was awesome.

That game was just phenomenal.

Rutger

Banned
Awakening is one of the worst games I've played in my life. Completely soulless.

People play FE for its music?
The FE series has a ton of great music. It's something I'm always looking forward to in each game.

What's wrong with Beyond the Sky?? It's a great early game map theme, probably the first song I think of for that.

Draxal

The FE series has a ton of great music. It's something I'm always looking forward to in each game.

What's wrong with Beyond the Sky?? It's a great early game map theme, probably the first song I think of for that.

To be honest I don't like the composition of the song, but I also do think this does hurt the tone of the game especially since they overuse it.

The song doesn't scream heroism or overcoming odds to me, it feels you are taking a walk in the park instead of fighting a Bernese invasion. When the jugdral fans criticize the tone of FE6, I think this song adds weight to that criticism.

I thought Heroes would give the song a second chance but I still don't like it (obviously a proper remake would give it an even better shot of making it liking over the gba's hardware)

The GBA Hardware does have a huge affect on it though, FE4 has my favorite recruitment theme and FE6's version of it is horrrrrrible.

Pogonip

Neo Member
Out of what I have played:

Path of Radiance and Blazing Sword (or is it Blazing Blade, now? The first US FE) are my all time favorites. Both had solid map design, great characters, great protagonists (minus Eliwood) and excellent world building and scenarios (PoR slightly better in this regard than BS). Biggest knock against PoR would be how easy it was and how the true final boss was locked only to Hard difficulty (in the English version at least).

Radiant Dawn slightly improved the (admittedly crappy) animations from PoR and improved the gameplay with more weapons, huge maps and great scenarios (3-13 and 3-E were awesome). However, the shitty support system, poor availability for certain characters, and the plot for the final 1/3rd of the game bring it down a bit.

Played the Fan Translation of Binding Blade (Roy's Game/FE6) years ago. Alright game, though it felt too difficult at times, had many big boring maps and dull characters/story until towards the ending. A bit disappointing, even considering it was a sequel made first to Blazing Sword.

I did really enjoy Awakening quite a bit, likely because I was starved for FE by that point after skipping Shadow Dragon (which looked awful). Pair Up was a great feature if absolutely broken. I feel like it could've been one of my favorites if they didn't stop writing the plot after Act 1, or turned Act 2 into something like the Future's Past DLC versus the filler arc that it was.

Fates was bleh. The best maps and difficulty in the series (Conquest) can't save the writing and Corrin is the most unlikable FE protagonist.

Only 2 hours into Echoes so far but the writing is much stronger than Fates at least. Jury is still out on the gameplay.

Rutger

Banned
To be honest I don't like the composition of the song, but I also do think this does hurt the tone of the game especially since they overuse it.

The song doesn't scream heroism or overcoming odds to me, it feels you are taking a walk in the park instead of fighting a Bernese invasion. When the jugdral fans criticize the tone of FE6, I think this song adds weight to that criticism.

I thought Heroes would give the song a second chance but I still don't like it (obviously a proper remake would give it an even better shot of making it liking over the gba's hardware)

The GBA Hardware does have a huge affect on it though, FE4 has my favorite recruitment theme and FE6's version of it is horrrrrrible.

I guess we'll just have to disagree, I think it works really well for when the inexperienced Roy is slowly building up his army. Music is pretty subjective anyways.

Linkark07

Banned
I will go with Radiant Dawn, the first Fire Emblem I finished. I still remember when I bought this game. Everything was awesome. The characters were likeable, the maps were quite difficult and the fact you could lose your units forever gave the game quite a twist for me: either be careful or be prepared for the consequences.

Plus I liked that the chapters you changed your characters. Or you could face characters you already used before. And then, in the final chapters, where all the faction join forces.

I also like the newer ones, but the only one I can defend against the older ones, and it is from gameplay point of view, is Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest. Of all the Fire Emblem games I have played, this one had the most exciting maps ever, with interesting gimmicks, difficult gameplay and varied objectives. Shame they really screwed it story wise and protagonist. I love my female Corrin, but I would be lying if she isn't one of the worst protagonists and lords ever in the entire franchise. The Avatar could be better used as a sidekick to the main Lord just like in Awakening: I prefer much more the dynamic of Chrom and Robin being the former the Lord and the latter his main strategist.

ryseing

I'm a Radiant Dawn guy. As mentioned, the Tellius worldbuilding is superb, with conflicts that are both complex yet fairly easy to understand. The assassination of the Begnion Apostle by the Heron tribe is a great example. You could argue that if the Apostle isn't assassinated, the events of the duology don't happen. Serenes Forest definitely doesn't burn down, enraging the bird tribes. Ashera and
Sephiran
are both excellent villains for drastically different reasons.

Gameplay wise, there are unique scenarios that haven't been seen elsewhere in the series. The flyer units only Part 2 prologue was an ingenious idea. In fact, all of Part 2 is a drastic departure from traditional Fire Emblem gameplay, with the Nephenee only chapter and the defend chapter that ends Part 2. Part 3 is the biggest departure of all, however. Pitting your playable units against each other was such a brilliant idea that I'm surprised it hasn't been repeated. Ike taking on Sothe!

I love this game. I love the inclusion of third tiers and how stupid OP certain characters are (Haar, laguz royals, Volke).

CazTGG

Yep, the Tellius games have the strongest cast imo. The world was built up really well in PoR and Radiant Dawn does a good job at utilizing supporting characters established in PoR to tell a much bigger story (Sothe, Lekain, Kurthnaga, etc.) If only IS had included supports in Radiant Dawn, I think the duology would be the fan-favorite.

Fire Emblem 7 has the best maps though. What an impeccable game.

Were we playing the same game? Radiant Dawn attaches familiar names to established characters but does barely anything with any of them except Soren (if you fulfill some arbitrary conditions), Ike, Ranulf, Soren and arguably Zelgius and Lekain. The rest are given little to no characterization (Zihark, Illyana, Tauroneo) or are excluded from much of the game (Tormod, Muarim, most of the Royal Knights, especially Geoffrey), which further limits the amount of time the game can give to flesh them out, not helped by the massacre that was Radiant Dawn's support "conversations" and the bloated cast (There's about 70 playable characters alone) that makes it a guarantee that some characters will be reduced to a trope at best (Heather, the Dawn Brigade, Fiona).

Gameplay wise, there are unique scenarios that haven't been seen elsewhere in the series. The flyer units only Part 2 prologue was an ingenious idea. In fact, all of Part 2 is a drastic departure from traditional Fire Emblem gameplay, with the Nephenee only chapter and the defend chapter that ends Part 2. Part 3 is the biggest departure of all, however. Pitting your playable units against each other was such a brilliant idea that I'm surprised it hasn't been repeated. Ike taking on Sothe!

Except the game does little with the scenario to make the map anything more than a wide, open space outside of aesthetics. Say what you want about SoV's mediocre map design, at least there's the occasional terrain to shake things up.

Chazbc24

Neo Member
I noticed this while writing and left them out anyway... New Mystery is Japan only/fan translation only and the only good one of the bunch, and they're technically covered in classic FE games too, as there weren't nearly as many changes as with Echoes. Feel free to defend those too, though
I strongly disagree. The DS games changed the very core of the game (IMO, not for the better). They shoehorned the weapon triangle in and completely changed almost all the battle calculations. Do i even have to get into the gaiden chapters?... While I didn't fall in love with Echoes like I wanted to, I can at least appreciate the respect they had for the source material. Staying true to what made the original great, whIle tastefully adding new features that don't disrupt the core gameplay. The result is a remake that makes the original obsolete. I can't say that about either DS game. I will always rather play the original famicom/sufami games over their DS remakes.

MANUELF

Banned
My favorite game is a simplified FE crossover from all the FE so far and with new characters added biweekly, is also FTP and is in Spanish ;D

I don't know if I prefer a certain style of Fire Emblem but I do prefer certain features, mainly the ones that Awakening popularized and/or added in to make the game more accessible and, for me, less stressful. For those reasons, Awakening is my favorite but I feel that if Path of Radiance had the same features then Path of Radiance would be my favorite. The only thing that made me not want to continue playing it was the lack of a casual mode, in all honesty, as I don't have the patience to restart a chapter if one of my characters die nor the willingness to let them die, especially if they're useful. Personally, my ideal Fire Emblem would be a mish-mash of the best from Awakening and Path of Radiance, taking the increased production values, casual mode, character creation, pair up mechanic, supports, traversal world map, etc. from the former and the story, characters, and map design from the latter

The only things I would defend Awakening for would be the claim of how waifus is what made it popular and is the only reason why people like it when, really, it's because it's a far more accessible Fire Emblem that got a big marketing push and has the added benefit of being able to make your own character

Thracia 776.

It's difficult, it has the best women in the series -- the highest ratio of badass to moeblob in the series. It also has the capture system,which drives home that you are insurgents in the middle of a war. You don't have the money to be buying weapons, so you take whatever you can get. Stats are low across the game, and combined FE4's blood system with a few quirks of its own.

You don't get to ride horses or pegasi or wyverns indoors, you uncivilized louts.

There is a fatigue system but, let's be honest, you'll almost never run into it anyway, assuming you're using your people correctly, as it's not exactly based on how many sorties you have, but how many times you attack, IIRC.

In all honesty, I'd preorder an FE5 remake -- or even remaster. It was never released here, so the only way to get it would be to emulate it or import a copy.

Ezalc

I think that I fall in the West Emblem camp just because of quantity. My top 3 games are FE4, PoR and FE GBA. Since the latter two were actually localized I fall in that camp but I love Sigurd's story so much and those giant maps are fucking awesome. Bonus points to an FE that did children before the garbage modern ones and actually had a good reason for them existing. Though RD would be the next on my list so out of the top 10 only RD and maybe FE6 (roy's) would be from games that aren't translated. Then again there are several localized games that I haven't had the chance to try yet.

Got into the series with Lyn's game because of Roy and Marth being in Smash, but ended up loving it after playing through PoR and 4.

Ivellios

Definetly west emblem, FE7 was my first game in the series, i really like all of the games from the GBA and GC era.

However for reasons some here have already described in detail, i disliked FE Fates and it was the first FE i did not bother to finish.

FE SoV for 3DS was a great surprise for me, i did not know about it until a week prior to its launch, and now i consider it of the best FE ever made.

Top Bottom