• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mupod

I know this is a loaded question, but how pay to win is this game? I didn't see anything directly mentioning this in the OP. Not that I mind dropping some money if it's good enough I just want to be prepared for the inevitable paywall if one comes up.

You can definitely buy your way into a powerful team. No way around that, the entire genre is 'pay to win' by its very nature. But the only reason to have a money-fueled team of super merged monster units is to permanently stay in Tier 20 of arena, and the rewards for doing so are almost laughably insignificant compared to the cost.

Also, I'm about to make it into the highest tier of arena running a team entirely composed of free heroes. Sure, it took months to make, and 3 of the units are grand hero battle rewards (you'd need to wait for them to run those events again), but it's doable. And they are hands down my strongest characters, I clear most of the hardest PVE content with ease.

Windforce

You can reach the highest arena tier without paying anything and it gets easier every week.

The game has also started giving out feathers a lot more frequently compared to the launch period and new game modes provide more than sufficient amounts of orbs.

If you have any questions about how to beat PvE content or teambuild, there is an invite to the FE GAF Discord server in the OP of this thread.

Any tips or comments on "gets easier every week"?

I have been getting to tier 19, then demoted to 18, back to 19 next week, and the cycle repeats itself. Should I just concentrate on merging a core of 3 heroes?

Mupod

Any tips or comments on "gets easier every week"?

I have been getting to tier 19, then demoted to 18, back to 19 next week, and the cycle repeats itself. Should I just concentrate on merging a core of 3 heroes?

The point requirements to rank up have been getting lower and lower as more people move up the ranks. The last time I got into T20 I barely made it with a score of 4830, but I should get in this time with 4804. So I can use a stronger team with a lower overall stat total and get the same results.

Now, I wouldn't say the actual fights are easier. Full cavalry teams are very, very common now and a pain in the ass to fight on certain maps where you can't separate them.

Windforce

The point requirements to rank up have been getting lower and lower as more people move up the ranks. The last time I got into T20 I barely made it with a score of 4830, but I should get in this time with 4804. So I can use a stronger team with a lower overall stat total and get the same results.

Now, I wouldn't say the actual fights are easier. Full cavalry teams are very, very common now and a pain in the ass to fight on certain maps where you can't separate them.

I see, thanks. This week I scored 4,643 and I'm ranked 13,200, which is on track to demotion to T18. To get to T20 I need to rank above 6,100.

I think I'll try a new run with infantry units, I'm running cavalry and I think the BST might be too low.

Wow I had some insane luck pulling today after dropping $40. I had 4% on the Hone Atk banner and pulled Sanaki on the first red.

I moved over to the Delthea banner which I had 3.25% on and pulled Delthea and Karel on the first full pull.

I then went to the summer banner and picked up Summer Tiki and Gaius after two full pulls and two partial ones.

My box is competely full now lol.

Roman

I see, thanks. This week I scored 4,643 and I'm ranked 13,200, which is on track to demotion to T18. To get to T20 I need to rank above 6,100.

I think I'll try a new run with infantry units, I'm running cavalry and I think the BST might be too low.

That's admittedly too low a score even for cavalry. I can easily score about 4770 or more with mine, meaning I get matches garnering 680+ points.

There must be an issue with how many and which skills you have equipped - they can make quite a big difference.

Scum

Wow I had some insane luck pulling today after dropping $40. I had 4% on the Hone Atk banner and pulled Sanaki on the first red.

I moved over to Delthea banner which I had 3.25% on and pulled Delthea and Karel on the first full pull.

I then went to the summer banner and picked up Summer Tiki and Gaius after two full pulls and two partial ones.

My box is competely full now lol.

Disgusting.

Weebos

Banned
Finally got Sonya.

-Speed, + Defense. Bleh.

Very similar spread to a neutral Julia though, might take her in that direction since I don't have Julia. She has the advantage of Naga, but I'm working with what I've got.

MANUELF

Banned
Finally got Sonya.

-Speed, + Defense. Bleh.

Very similar spread to a neutral Julia though, might take her in that direction since I don't have Julia. She has the advantage of Naga, but I'm working with what I've got.
Im sorry but you made me feel blessed by getting her with +SPD –DEF

Mupod

so I pulled a ton of red on both the Fury banner and the Cavalry banner hoping to get a more optimal Eldigan than the -atk +spd one I already have. 150 orbs later I finally pull a banner unit, it's Eldigan...-atk +spd
84kc51p.gif

I think I'm just gonna snipe greens for the rest of this banner

Maxinas

so I pulled a ton of red on both the Fury banner and the Cavalry banner hoping to get a more optimal Eldigan than the -atk +spd one I already have. 150 orbs later I finally pull a banner unit, it's Eldigan...-atk +spd

I think I'm just gonna snipe greens for the rest of this banner

I pulled one too and it was -atk +hp. Hope you feel better. Now i'm going for Titania and no luck after 70 orbs fuck me.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I got annoyed that I couldn't see weapons that had similar skills on the skill pages, so I went and added them to all the pages on the wiki. There is likely a more sophisticated method that could be rigged up, like how the skill pages don't need editing when a new hero is added with that skill, but its a start.

For example, now I can see all the weapon with Distant Counter built in on the Distant Counter page: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Distant_Counter

I am trying to decide between promoting +atk -res Nowi and +spd -res Corrin(f). Anyone have any insights?

I had 50k feathers ready to go and recently promoted a +atk -res Nowi myself. For the distant counter blue, magic melee, strong bst, first dragon 5*, and highly rated in general. Doing good work effortlessly for me.

Articalys

So a question on the summoning system. Is it really the right strategy to only choose colors that match the desired hero(es) in a focus and ignore the rest -- so if a round comes up with none of them, you cut and run after arbitrarily choosing just one? How big of a loss in orb efficiency is it?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So a question on the summoning system. Is it really the right strategy to only choose colors that match the desired hero(es) in a focus and ignore the rest -- so if a round comes up with none of them, you cut and run after arbitrarily choosing just one? How big of a loss in orb efficiency is it?

You spend up to 25% more at the worst case. If you do only 5 pulls, heroes cost 4 orbs each. If you only pull a specific color, at the worst case, heroes cost 5 orbs each.

Doing the math for the different odds for getting a single color, the cost is closer to 4.8 Orbs per unit, so it costs about 20% more.

MANUELF

Banned
Ok, I got annoyed that I couldn't see weapons that had similar skills on the skill pages, so I went and added them to all the pages on the wiki. There is likely a more sophisticated method that could be rigged up, like how the skill pages don't need editing when a new hero is added with that skill, but its a start.

For example, now I can see all the weapon with Distant Counter built in on the Distant Counter page: https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Distant_Counter
That made me remember,where are my mages, ninjas or archers with a close counter built in weapon?

Articalys

You spend up to 25% more at the worst case. If you do only 5 pulls, heroes cost 4 orbs each. If you only pull a specific color, at the worst case, heroes cost 5 orbs each.

Doing the math for the different odds for getting a single color, the cost is closer to 4.8 Orbs per unit, so it costs about 20% more.
Thanks... so it's still a better plan to target if a focus unit is highly desired than to always grab the full set? Is the orb inflow steady enough that a player needs to carefully pick and choose when to summon and when to hold on and wait?

champloo

Thanks... so it's still a better plan to target if a focus unit is highly desired than to always grab the full set? Is the orb inflow steady enough that a player needs to carefully pick and choose when to summon and when to hold on and wait?

If you only really want one unit from a banner then sure sniping one color is the way to go, but prepare to be disappointed if you don't have a large enough stash. If you just started the game I'd suggest grab the full set since you probably need to build a good team first.

We get roughly 150 free orbs per month, I usually do a mass summon when I reach 200, getting 2-4 5* is reasonable with that. Others has different ways to spend them though.

Ninferno

That made me remember,where are my mages, ninjas or archers with a close counter built in weapon?

Melee attacks are physical (except the few dragons) and the mages/ninjas/archers generally have terrible DEF, especially the better ones (offensive-oriented spreads), so range weapon with built-in Close Counter won't make too much sense in most cases, just like Close Counter isn't the desirable A skill choice for most higher-tier ranged attackers. Still could be useful for stats spreads like Merric/Boey/Bunmilla/Leon etc., but will probably never match the prominence of built-in Distant Counter melee weapons.

Ninferno

Not mine.

Looks like someone has broke the bank for the Cavalry banner. That's cool but I feel Olwen won't be as intimating as Reinhardt on defense because she needs those sweet cav buffs.

Also, choosing Glacies over Iceberg is weird. WoM for horses doesn't look very helpful too, because they themselves are normally the first to run to the front-line.

Articalys

If you only really want one unit from a banner then sure sniping one color is the way to go, but prepare to be disappointed if you don't have a large enough stash. If you just started the game I'd suggest grab the full set since you probably need to build a good team first.

We get roughly 150 free orbs per month, I usually do a mass summon when I reach 200, getting 2-4 5* is reasonable with that. Others has different ways to spend them though.
Is it still worth it to pull them all when starting even if you get something like four reds and a single colorless (especially if there's no red focus or it isn't a good unit)? Balancing the need to just outright bolster barracks with trying to get variety and flexibility in unit options.

champloo

Is it still worth it to pull them all when starting even if you get something like four reds and a single colorless (especially if there's no red focus or it isn't a good unit)? Balancing the need to just outright bolster barracks with trying to get variety and flexibility in unit options.

Yeah if there is no red banner unit then opening red stones is counterproductive if you want 5* heroes. However red has some great skill fodders so it could still be worthwhile.

Colorless on the other hand has way too many healers who are very similar to each other, so you may choose to avoid those until a good colorless banner shows up.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Was going to pull for Leo since I got no good Red Mages, did 1 pull got a 5* Lilina. I think I am going to stop pulling (Even if she is -Attack, still better than anything else I got)

Trunx28

Horse Emblem made me lose sight of my other units, so chain battles are a pain in the ass right now - at least the 3rd ones. HE gets quite far, but after getting killed my other heroes do nothing .. My standard team before HE was Olivia, Klein, Nino and Sharena and they can't do anything in the higher levels (only Nino blasts it's way through any obstacle). Especially Klein is nearly worthless, he used to be my highest scorer and now deals around 8dmg ...

Did anyone manage to beat all the highest chain challenges already?

Ninferno

Quick Riposte huh, not bad at all. Just Klein itself has all kinds of goodies. Not going to pull though; I have to reserve all my orbs for the inevitable Celica Tempest banner.

Added difficulty for past GHB sounds interesting, too bad out of all these GHB waiting to be remastered they chose Lloyd aka the least useful GHB unit to receive such treatment first. Guess I get one more Iceberg fodder then. I hope from now onward they start making this a tradition for later remastered. More copies of Xander and Camus can be very helpful. If they add one infernal copy and maybe one more quest copy, we will be having 4 in total. With that, they might actually become prime merge target for F2P arena, especially Camus for the blue slot, while Xander has to compete with other prime targets like Olivia.

Ninferno

Horse Emblem made me lose sight of my other units, so chain battles are a pain in the ass right now - at least the 3rd ones. HE gets quite far, but after getting killed my other heroes do nothing .. My standard team before HE was Olivia, Klein, Nino and Sharena and they can't do anything in the higher levels (only Nino blasts it's way through any obstacle). Especially Klein is nearly worthless, he used to be my highest scorer and now deals around 8dmg ...

Did anyone manage to beat all the highest chain challenges already?

I haven't got the stamina to do lunatics myself yet (damn you Tempest), but I have read about lots of successful strats with horse emblem for the nasty CC 11&12 Lunatic. There's one in particular I might follow later myself, which centered around TA Xander, TA Camus, generic Blade Cecilia, and cavalry healer carrying Hone cav. I'm sure you will be able to find some successful strats that suit you if you do some searching.

MicH

Got a 5* neutral Klein. Not sure if worth to train up or use for fodder. My only other archers are 5* Rebecca, Takumi and Jeorge so I could use a better archer.

Trunx28

I haven't got the stamina to do lunatics myself yet (damn you Tempest), but I have read about lots of successful strats with horse emblem for the nasty CC 11&12 Lunatic. There's one in particular I might follow later myself, which centered around TA Xander, TA Camus, generic Blade Cecilia, and cavalry healer carrying Hone cav. I'm sure you will be able to find some successful strats that suit you if you do some searching.

thx, will try that. Pulled a 4* Priscilla, my first Horse Healer, so she will have to do.

Ninferno

Crap. Just realized there's no Lloyd in the story missions so the "use Lloyd to defeat lv40 Lloyd" quest will have to be done with GHB lunatic or above. This could be problematic.

Also problematic is that I probably need to train up a 4* Lloyd now; I was having so much fun breezing through CCs. :(

Chauzu

Lloyd having an Infernal difficulty added is amazing. Tomorrow will be a great personal feather day.

Arena t20 feathers: 6400
Infernal feathers: 2000
Sending 4* Lloyd from Infernal home: 300
Sending 3* Lloyd from quest home: 150
Daily feathers: 115
Total feathers: 8965

I will have enough feathers to finally 5* my Anna and get all Askr to 5* but I will wait for double SP weekend for that.

linkent

4856. The final boss is +700!
My highest point so far.
Effie +1 really help.
Just realised that we cant go up 2 rank at rank 18.

Anyone know how many points to go up rank 20?

Ninferno

4856. The final boss is +700!
My highest point so far.
Effie +1 really help.
Just realised that we cant go up 2 rank at rank 18.

Anyone know how many points to go up rank 20?

Congrats on the great score. 4856 is much more than enough to get to Tier 20; It might even be enough for staying in T20 by the time you get to T20 later. Keep it up and you should have some serious chance.

BTW, my estimate was accurate that this week's threshold for staying in T20 seems to be around 4880 ~ 4890. Next week will still be noticeably lower but I can't benefit from it. Wonder if it can drop to around 4870 two weeks later.

Anyway, I have finally cleared all my PvE priorities such as raising Xander and Camus to 5* so I can finally start to concentrate on merging the F2P arena prime targets (aka Olivia and Nino). Currently have Olivia at +2, which is enough to replace Ryoma. Score-wise, I should keep merging her until my last copy before switching to merge Nino, because it is going to take some merges before Nino can replace Hector in terms of points. However, I might face problem once I get my Olivia to + 6 and got matched with heavier merged enemies. It could be an uneasy situation when the unit of all your merge counts is a non-combatant, even if she has Ruby Sword+ and Fury 3.

linkent

Congrats on the great score. 4856 is much more than enough to get to Tier 20; It might even be enough for staying in T20 by the time you get to T20 later. Keep it up and you should have some serious chance.
Got lucky to get that Delthea this time.
Was at Rank 19 but demoted last week due to using a really bad Frederick.
Also dropping a dancer Ninian work much better.
Next week Rank20!

Mupod

how many fucking banners are they going to run at once jesus christ. Funny thing is I got Leo off of the cavalry one, lol.

edit: my Lloyd is level 1 fuck

For a +10 unit, she honestly doesn't look that great.

She has less attack than +Atk Reindhart without merges, inferior defenses, and her speed is still bad.

well normally you'd keep a +spd one if you were merging in that many copies and do the desperation/luna cookie cutter Olwen. But you can't count out a cavalry mage just because their stats don't look great. You support them with buffs.

that said I wonder if they have a blarblade+ on there as well and just swapped in dire thunder for defenses.

Ninferno

I crystaled him to lv 40 as soon as I raised him manually to lv20. Got to put those 6-digit crystals into some use, right?

lv40 is probably an overkill, but I just won't bother to find out what the min lv is for me.

Scum

how many fucking banners are they going to run at once jesus christ. Funny thing is I got Leo off of the cavalry one, lol.

well normally you'd keep a +spd one if you were merging in that many copies and do the desperation/luna cookie cutter Olwen. But you can't count out a cavalry mage just because their stats don't look great. You support them with buffs.

that said I wonder if they have a blarblade+ on there as well and just swapped in dire thunder for defenses.

Mupod, pls. Hand in your Orbs. You can keep the badges though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom