• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Switch announced, 2018, zero other details

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
All the console Fire Emblems have way better stories than the handhelds do. But does being on the Switch count as a console Fire Emblem?

I scream, for I do not know.

Danielsan

All the console Fire Emblems have way better stories than the handhelds do. But does being on the Switch count as a console Fire Emblem?

At this point I don't expect anything from the story in Fire Emblem games. Awakening was poor, and Fates seems to be even worse (I'm only 15 chapters into Birthright). I also don't care at all for the way the characters are presented outside of combat. The little character to character interactions/stories are extremely Japanese/daft and are completely out of place in the overall story. People are dying in the main story, but hey, here's a little interaction about people doing some cooking together, or some bad ass warrior who is too anxious to talk to or be around women. Its a shame too, there is a lot of potential for great stories in these games. Maybe they can start by dropping the whole inter dimensional/time travel nonsense.

Draxal

FE12 have player created character and it was done much better than Awakening from what I've heard.

Lol nope, Kris is the most hated avatar. 12 was an established game, and they shoehorned Kris into the plot to make it work, and it definitely didn't make purists happy.

Charamiwa

Banned
At first I was really annoyed to see Echoes be a 3DS title. Why would the next big FE game be on the dying console? But there's a couple of facts that makes it ok:

- Echoes seems to be a way smaller title, a remake of a NES game.
- It uses the 3DS engine which I assume they would want to use one last time before ditching it
- They announced that they are working on a Switch title (great move, even if they have nothing to show. Better than the alternative)
- They probably don't want the first Switch title to be a 3DS port, but a brand new game.

To me, this is great. The 3DS is where FE was reborn, so I don't mind one last smaller title in what I assume would be the last year of the device. After that, on to the Switch, the successor.

AntMurda

At first I was really annoyed to see Echoes be a 3DS title. Why would the next big FE game be on the dying console? But there's a couple of facts that makes it ok:

- Echoes seems to be a way smaller title, a remake of a NES game.
- It uses the 3DS engine which I assume they would want to use one last time before ditching it
- They announced that they are working on a Switch title (great move, even if they have nothing to show. Better than the alternative)
- They probably don't want the first Switch title to be a 3DS port, but a brand new game.

To me, this is great. The 3DS is where FE was reborn, so I don't mind one last smaller title in what I assume would be the last year of the device. After that, on to the Switch, the successor.

FE Gaiden on the NES isn't much shorter than any of the SNES/GBA games. Echoes is inspired by the NES version, just like several other Fire Emblems were remakes of earlier versions. Really weird that some people (and GameXplain) are throwing that around. "Oh it's not a new game" it's an NES remake. WTH? Fire Emblems do this often, and each is very much a full new game.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I get why people think it's a bit silly to announce games with no footage, no title or anything, but honestly: For me the big positive about this (and the announcement of a SMT title and """bravely default""") is the general idea that Nintendo plans on bringing both their home console and handheld franchises over to Switch going forward. If this hybrid gets the best of both those worlds I'll be very happy to own one (or several if they adapt the apple approach to future hardware revisions). I really, really hope the 3DS successor will be to the Switch will be what the iPhone is to the iPad; a slightly more portable device within a shared software ecosystem.

Charamiwa

Banned
FE Gaiden on the NES isn't much shorter than any of the SNES/GBA games. Echoes is inspired by the NES version, just like several other Fire Emblems were remakes of earlier versions. Really weird that some people (and GameXplain) are throwing that around. "Oh it's not a new game" it's an NES remake. WTH? Fire Emblems do this often, and each is very much a full new game.

It's just not the follow up to Fates. It's a game announced 4 months before it launches, without much fanfare. The next big mainline title is coming to Switch, I think that's what people mean.

It's just not the follow up to Fates. It's a game announced 4 months before it launches, without much fanfare. The next big mainline title is coming to Switch, I think that's what people mean.

There's tons of fanfare for Echos, though. This is the game that really needed a remake. It's good but flawed game, but still have the best overworld map.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Man, this image alone is so...HYPE!

fe-switch-1484780087172_large.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I hope all this talk about a new HD engine and how they couldn't have just launch an upscaled 3ds FE game on Switch won't come biting some of the people here in the arse.

CazTGG

I hope all this talk about a new HD engine and how they couldn't have just launch an upscaled 3ds FE game on Switch won't come biting some of the people here in the arse.

As long as it has better textures than the last console entries, I think we'll be fine.

No they don't (I will gladly take Rekka no Ken, The Sacred Stones and Awakening over Radiant Dawn) and yes it does, even if they're marking it as a hybrid. It doesn't matter either way since i'm not expecting much from the story after Fates was supposed to address the criticisms many lobbed against Awakening and failed spectacularly.

Shengar

As long as it has better textures than the last console entries, I think we'll be fine.

Switch is stronger that Vita, and if the latter can handle Hidari's design (assuming she's gonna be the lead artist pls no Kozaki unless Kusakiara is kicked out) in full 3D glory, the I expect the same, if not better from the former.

Mediking

I slept on it and I'm still somewhat angry that FE Echoes isn't hitting Switch in some form.

But what can soften the blow immensely is if GameCube FE appears on GameCube VC on Switch....

I know it's probably different engines (and different technical requirements), but Paper Mario Color Splash is one of my favorite looking games on the Wii U so I'm not worried about their ability to make something that looks nice.

kswiston

I know it's probably different engines (and different technical requirements), but Paper Mario Color Splash is one of my favorite looking games on the Wii U so I'm not worried about their ability to make something that looks nice.

If I had my preference, I would probably go the modern cell-shaded direction and make the in-game models look like the character portraits. That will avoid the creepy doll look you get with some HD titles with anime aesthetics.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

No they don't (I will gladly take Rekka no Ken, The Sacred Stones and Awakening over Radiant Dawn) and yes it does, even if they're marking it as a hybrid. It doesn't matter either way since i'm not expecting much from the story after Fates was supposed to address the criticisms many lobbed against Awakening and failed spectacularly.
Those games had barebones stories at best (although I still enjoyed them). The Jugdral and Tellius duologies feel much more fleshed out.

I hope they learn from Fates backlash.

If I had my preference, I would probably go the modern cell-shaded direction and make the in-game models look like the character portraits. That will avoid the creepy doll look you get with some HD titles with anime aesthetics.

Yeah, I get that. I don't want them to look like they got lost in the uncanny valley on the way to a rubber mask convention.

Something like My Castle in HD for FE Switch would be pretty amazing....

So long as you can move your character around in the 3D space and not just rotate the camera around them.

Top Bottom