• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors devs on how the game came to be, choosing characters and more

batfax

That's because they still have to reveal the Fates and Shadow Dragon characters outside the main ones. There's even a chance more awakening characters are in.

If they're focusing on just three games, I honestly really hope that there's more Awakening characters. If not, then it'll basically confirm that only the most popular or story relevant characters will get a chance to shine, which would make only focusing on three games even more boring. That's just depressing to think about. At this point the roster desperately feels like it needs a "whoa, what?" choice like Agitha in Hyrule Warriors.

edit: Since the game seems to take place really, really early in Awakening's story, I'd honestly want at least MOST of the original Shepherds. Maybe letting some that could be too easily redundant drop off, like Sully/Stahl being redundant because of Cain/Abel for red/green knights or Ricken/Merric as wind mages.

Don't know why people are so upset *now* when there are more characters still left to be announced, apparently?

The fact that we can more or less rule out the likes of Ike, Hector, Ephraim, Micaiah, Nephenee, Finn and Lyn out because they're not from FE 11-14 until DLC leaves people who don't care much for FE11-14 with nothing to look forward to. Hell I liked those games (except for Rev and maybe Birthright) and my hype went off a cliff in light of that news.

Quite frankly, the fact the roster caused a stir within the dev team shows that they knew what the reaction and went ahead with it anyways. I'd just wish they'd stop with the bullshit swords excuse when your current roster says otherwise.

OVDRobo

Um, I'm fairly new to the series, but that doesn't sound much better than what (little) we already know about the character selections. Picking just one title from the GBA/GC era in particular is a disaster waiting to happen.

I absolutely agree but it's still much better than having the zero that have currently been confirmed. We'll be lucky to get anything except the most popular characters from those entries and even then they might be DLC with extra cost associated.

My suggestion was just working in the context of them only focusing on three games and the best way to please all fans with that limitation.

Naturally the ideal lineup to draw from would be something like:
Shadow Dragon
Blazing Blade (+Roy)
Path of Radiance
Awakening
Fates

Then have DLC Shadows of Valentia and Sacred Stones packs with 3-4 characters each. Maybe toss in a split Genealogy of the Holy War and Thracia pack for the diehards.

I'm still not going to rule this game out both because it's a Fire Emblem game and because they're hinting at there being a decent number of characters which might mean that there's some good reveals that they're holding back. They're just not doing a very good job of selling the game, though it will probably get decent sales off the fans of the newer style of FE alone.

NeonZ

can they not just do in-engine stuff

Generally, based on Hyrule Warriors and recent DW games, they use CG for scenes in locations that weren't modeled for gameplay (like inside the Hyrule Castle in Hyrule Warriors) or that are heavily modified for the cutscene in order to give them a more natural look (Yukimura's final stand in Samurai Warriors), in addition to scenes with large amounts of soldiers or scenes featuring quick cuts to different locations outside of the current stage.

Weebos

Banned
their decisions all make perfect sense and i respect them for it

Yeah, it was looking grim for a bit, but seeing Lissa and Fred and getting these explanations make me feel better.

Sounds like the roster will be pretty big.

I would genuinely have loved if Captain Falcon took Chrom's place.

Generally, based on Hyrule Warriors and recent DW games, they use CG for scenes in locations that weren't modeled for gameplay (like inside the Hyrule Castle in Hyrule Warriors) or that are heavily modified for the cutscene in order to give them a more natural look (Yukimura's final stand in Samurai Warriors), in addition to scenes with large amounts of soldiers or scenes featuring quick cuts to different locations outside of the current stage.

RIP. That sucks though. Maybe the customization wouldn't have been good anyway. Who knows.

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
The real kicker with the roster for me is that I fully expect the eventual announcement of a DLC season pass with characters from other games. And if that happens I fully expect Ike to be front and center there, the devs holding the single most popular character in the franchise hostage as a means to get us to pay even more money beyond the initial $60. Of course we'll have some other super popular characters like Lyn, Hector, and Ephraim, but Ike's absolutely going to be the most touted character in the DLC because of course he will be, he's by a pretty large margin the most popular FE character among non-fans, more casual FE fans, and the hardcore FE crowd. And that's just a shame because it's a pretty shitty DLC tactic, holding something super desired back for the sake of bleeding more money from buyers.

The sword excuse definitely sucks and I'd respect them more if they flat out said "we're focusing on broad audience appeal", but ultimately it's going to likely be a temporary issue and eventually we'll have a roster with some more depth. The catch is we'll have to pay extra for that, and it's a damn shame that I can't just pay for the game once in order to be satisfied with the roster. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the game but it's deflating knowing they're very likely to ask me to pay them more money if I want to use some of my real favorites like Celica or Hector.

vareon

their decisions all make perfect sense and i respect them for it

Yeah. I mean I *want* this to be a celebration of Fire Emblem and putting many characters from every series, but it is not and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm pretty sure the ones developing the game, of all people, knew they had to make a choice.

They're surprisingly mum about DLC, though.

WhyMe6

I didn't even play Fates but, thanks to Heroes, I'm already in on this game thanks to Xander. He's a beast.

I don't get it.

Someone made a threat about iconic fan art, posted that, nobody had seen it before that thread

And what they said is why I and more logical fans have said since this game was announced. If you make a roster with 1-2 characters per entry with the most popular getting in the roster would be 90% sword lords.

Someone made a threat about iconic fan art, posted that, nobody had seen it before that thread

And what they said is why I and more logical fans have said since this game was announced. If you make a roster with 1-2 characters per entry with the most popular getting in the roster would be 90% sword lords.

You're right, thanks to their logic the current roster isn't 90% sword lords. I'm so glad.

R.D.Blax

I have never be so dehyped for a game like this before. I guess I will start caring when they start caring about older entries too

LordKano

They've only revealed the most popular characters from the 3 games so far, and this game will have the most out of any Warriors collaboration. Hyrule Warriors only had Link, Midna and Zelda at its first E3.

Nah dude it's just better to not use any logic as to why these characters have been showed so far and just mindlessly complain about swords in every thread.

Nah dude it's just better to not use any logic as to why these characters have been showed so far and just mindlessly complain about swords in every thread.

The devs were the ones to bring up the sword excuse, not the fans. They could've said "we just want to focus on the most popular games in the series because they sell more", but they didn't. Blame them.

They said bizarre things like ‘Hayashi doesn’t know anything about Fire Emblem!’.

Truth.

I mean, we have what, around 13~15 protagonists for the series, right? One of them uses axes, another uses lances, and the other is a mage (two, if you count Robin), so that already cuts down the number of sword users a little. Make their OC protagonists use something other than freaking swords, cut down secondary characters with swords, and I think that's an acceptable number of sword users. Aren't these games supposed to have tons of characters?

Ike can use an axe in Radiant Dawn. Alm and Lyn and use bows after class change. Sigurd and Eliwood can use a lance as a secondary weapon. There's a lot more variety than that.

Yeshua

As someone that like both Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors this game has litteraly no appeal to me. And I won't buy it so I can buy DLC with characters I like.

The Radiant duology are my favorite in the serie and I could have been pleased with a roster like this : Titania, Soren, Ranulf and Tibarn but nope only waifu emblem characters (+ Marth) and this is supposed to be a homage to the serie, what a joke...

LordKano

The devs were the ones to bring up the sword excuse, not the fans. They could've said "we just want to focus on the most popular games in the series because they sell more", but they didn't. Blame them.

Their sword excuse will be judged as dumb or not once we have the full roster. Their excuse makes sense. If they added one character from every game, there would be 80% swords. Right now we barely have a third of the roster and we've probably seen most swords users from the final roster. They said it would be balanced, and they kinda have to since they need an equal amount of swords, spears and axes.

Please don't suck. Please don't suck.

And release Tharja already.

Really sad they don't list the iconic pic as an inspiration

2wf8vwJ.jpg
I mean do they have to? It's obvious that this pic started a movement. People have been referencing it for a decade now. Hihihihiihih.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
They're using CGI for cutscenes again?

not-thisu-shitu-again.gif

Their sword excuse will be judged as dumb or not once we have the full roster. Their excuse makes sense. If they added one character from every game, there would be 80% swords. Right now we barely have a third of the roster and we've probably seen most swords users from the final roster. They said it would be balanced, and they kinda have to since they need an equal amount of swords, spears and axes.

That's cool that you seem to know about the whole roster in advance, but the rest of us don't, and we have to judge the game based on what we've seen so far, and what we've seen is them trying to save face for not having characters from more than three games by saying that if they did that there'd be too many sword characters, followed by their unveiling of a bunch of sword characters (including the characters that they made specifically for this game). If they didn't want the backlash then they should've known that was a bad idea.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Zelda doesn't exactly have a cast comparable to Fire Emblem though.
There is a large black hole of Fire Emblem where a general audience does not and cannot give a shit like Haar, your FE7 fave or any unlocalized game.
If a "hardcore" fan is miffed by this game, so be it.

As someone that like both Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors this game has litteraly no appeal to me. And I won't buy it so I can buy DLC with characters I like.

The Radiant duology are my favorite in the serie and I could have been pleased with a roster like this : Titania, Soren, Ranulf and Tibarn but nope only waifu emblem characters (+ Marth) and this is supposed to be a homage to the serie, what a joke...

Remember when Hyrule Warriors had only Link, Zelda, Midna and some original characters and it was supposed to be a homagae to the series? What a joke...

+Impa and Ganondorf who were at the E3 proper announcement, which I guess you must be talking about, since the OG trailer showed only Link.

What is your point anyway? We know from developer interviews that the game is almost all Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon characters, the most recent three games, barring echoes.

I know for a fact I won't care in slightest for any of the characters they could announce from Fates, I kinda like Xander, but that is purely because of FE heroes and not Fates. Thinking about it I can't actually name anyone from Awakening that isn't already announced now, and the less I say about Shadow Dragon, the better.

So what am I supposed to be excited about for this game? The character selection is the biggest thing for these musou crossovers and they deliberately made a quite polarising decision to split it to three games and not three eras.

The blunt fact is this comes off as a deliberate choice to fleece people for more money for DLC.

There is a large black hole of Fire Emblem where a general audience does not and cannot give a shit like Haar, your FE7 fave or any unlocalized game.

Except Lyn won the Fire Emblem popularity Choose your legends contest, and Hector is definitely one of the most popular characters in FE:Heroes, so that FE7 jab isn't even close to accurate.

People are asking for some of the most popular FE characters like Hector, Ike, Ephraim or Lyn, not some Thracia rando.

LordKano

That's cool that you seem to know about the whole roster in advance, but the rest of us don't, and we have to judge the game based on what we've seen so far, and what we've seen is them trying to save face for not having characters from more than three games by saying that if they did that there'd be too many sword characters, followed by their unveiling of a bunch of sword characters (including the characters that they made specifically for this game). If they didn't want the backlash then they should've known that was a bad idea.

Them trying to save face for a logical reason that they claimed well before we even got proper character introductions ? Sure. The people complaining about the choice of characters are a vocal minority. Picking from the 3 most popular games was the safest choice to ensure most of FE's fanbase would be happy. There's no significant backlash.

Them trying to save face for a logical reason that they claimed well before we even got proper character introductions ? Sure. The people complaining about the choice of characters are a vocal minority. Picking from the 3 most popular games was the safest choice to ensure most of FE's fanbase would be happy. There's no significant backlash.

The backlash seems significant enough that you and other people are complaining about it lol

LordKano

The backlash seems significant enough that you and other people are complaining about it lol

Maybe because it's very annoying that there's a bunch of posters, always the same, that are posting on every single FEW game how annoyed they are by the current roster.

Yeshua

Zelda had 18 games when Hyrule Warriors was announced and only 3 games were being represented. Now almost all of them are.

Zelda serie has characters that appear in all games, Fire Emblem doesn't. Also additional character in Hyrule Warriors were added by DLC, I frankly doubt they are gonna add character from the Radiant duology for free and I don't buy a game just so I can buy and play a DLC.

Maybe because it's very annoying that there's a bunch of posters, always the same, that are posting on every single FEW game how annoyed they are by the current roster.

Sorry, but people are allowed to complain and dislike things, especially when devs give bullshit excuses.

Zelda serie has characters that appear in all games, Fire Emblem doesn't. Also additional character in Hyrule Warriors were added by DLC, I frankly doubt they are gonna add character from the Radiant duology for free and I don't buy a game just so I can buy and play a DLC.

Yeah, I also dislike the "well, they might add characters from other games as DLC!" excuse. What, am I supposed to be happy about having to pay an extra $20? The devs have said there are no current plans for DLC anyway.

Oddish1

Their reasonings all make sense to me. Pick some of the more popular games and go in deep with characters. We'll see how it works in execution, I'm hoping there are some weird choices like Agitha in Hyrule Warriors. Axe wielding Lissa is a start but I'm hoping for something more off the wall.

Yeah, so here's what I think the main difference between doing this for Zelda and FE is.

Link, Zelda, Impa, Ganondorf were basically combined versions, taking aspects from several different games, effectively representing the entire series with things like Link having the Fire rod, as his second announced weapon, which was only from the 2D games, Zelda using the Wind Waker, Shieks weapon being a harp (with the one she uses specifically being from Skyward sword, despite Shiek being an OOT character).

And even if they didn't specifically take characters from most of the games, the games were still referenced early on in trailers with weapons and background events like a great fairy pulling the MM moon from the sky in the demo midna stage at E3.

We've not really seen a lot of the same for fire emblem warriors thus far, which is a shame. They seem to be forced to be more rigid in treatment of the characters, because they're much more well defined in fighting style vs most of the hyrule warriors cast where they could really do almost anything they wanted. (Though we do still get a bit of that such as lucina using a bow of light recently).

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
People are asking for some of the most popular FE characters like Hector, Ike, Ephraim or Lyn, not some Thracia rando.
FE 7, 8 and 9 are random because they don't have a supporting cast that is both recognizable and worthwhile to bring with 1 notable dude like Ike. Having a cohesive and intertwined relationship within Awakening and then having Ephraim off in the corner somewhere just sucks.

FE 7, 8 and 9 are random because they don't have a supporting cast that is both recognizable and worthwhile to bring with 1 notable dude like Ike. Having a cohesive and intertwined relationship within Awakening and then having Ephraim off in the corner somewhere just sucks.

Sorry, but I don't understand whatever point you're trying to make. No one is suggesting to have 15 Awakening characters and then Ephraim. Dunno why you guys want to ignore the most popular characters in the franchise in favor of, like, Lissa.

And for the record, I don't personally give a shit about Ike, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim or Eirika, but unlike Lissa, Ryoma, Xander or Frederick they made the top 10 most popular characters list. This is not a game aimed at all Fire Emblem fans, this is a game aimed at just Awakening/Fates fans. They could at least be honest about that.

You're right, thanks to their logic the current roster isn't 90% sword lords. I'm so glad.

So the roster has too many sword lords

But you'd fix it by replacing them with more sword lords

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

How many times do I have to say that my problem isn't there being too many sword characters, but the fact that the devs themselves said it was a problem and then added a bunch of sword lords anyway?

Didn't know Ephraim and Hector were sword lords, either.

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

The devs said it, not us, and Lyn functionally being a Myrmidon would play completely differently to almost all of the sword lords in the games anyway.

vareon

Sorry, but I don't understand whatever point you're trying to make. No one is suggesting to have 15 Awakening characters and then Ephraim. Dunno why you guys want to ignore the most popular characters in the franchise in favor of, like, Lissa.

And for the record, I don't personally give a shit about Ike, Hector, Lyn, Ephraim or Eirika, but unlike Lissa, Ryoma, Xander or Frederick they made the top 10 most popular characters list. This is not a game aimed at all Fire Emblem fans, this is a game aimed at just Awakening/Fates fans. They could at least be honest about that.

A Fire Emblem fan would like Awakening/Fates anyway, unless they're one of those bitter guys. Those types would find something else to complain anyway even if the game has the entire roster of Fire Emblem characters.

How many times do I have to say that my problem isn't there being too many sword characters, but the fact that the devs themselves said it was a problem and then added a bunch of sword lords anyway?

Didn't know Ephraim and Hector were sword lords, either.

08.gif~c200

Looks like a sword to me.

/s

Top Bottom