• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors DLC packs announced

I’m good on Fates representation....would have loved to see more Tellius or Elibe characters.

With that said, if this is anything like Hyrule Warriors, it’s DLC will be more than worth it. I got hundreds of hours into them.

I don't want to sound angry or salty (I am a little salty tho, tbh)...

So I'll just list what I would've done if I was in charge:

1. With Lyn and Celica in the base game, and knowing Ike is the most popular character by far, here's one idea. A 6/7 combo pack, with Roy, Hector, and Lilina at the forefront. A 9/10 pack with Ike and Soren and Titania. And then an Echoes pack with Alm, and whoever is popular in that game (Mathilda? Lukas? idk). Stick Azura and Tharja in one of the packs to include them. And there you go.

2. Same idea, but the last pack would be Alm plus characters from Archanea/Ylisse, so you'd get your Gaius and Tharja, your Owain and your Severa, etc. Stick Azura in there somewhere and it's good.

Thoughts?

Neoxon

If I had to create three DLC packs with two characters each (like Hyrule Warriors), I'd have gone with...

1. 3DS Pack - Tharja and Azura, the obvious omissions from the base roster. There really don't need to be any more Awakening and Fates characters after these two.

2. Elibe Pack - Roy and Hector

3. Tellius Pack - Ike and Black Knight
That would have been my call, too. Maybe throw Alm into the 3DS pack for good measure.

Cryxok

No they can't. Even when you "change classes" the movesets for the characters don't change. A sword character is always going to wield a sword, an archer is always going to have a bow.

At least, so far. DLC might change that.

So, if changing classes doesn't change movesets, what does it change? costumes only? If so, what a waste. I was more excited with the alternate movesets assuming they gave interesting alt classes to these characters.

Really on the fence with this one. Personally, I don't mind the 3DS focus as I actually liked those games, I think Heroes is the only FE game I've spent more time with than Conquest. Robin and Leo are enough to pick my interest. But I dislike the artstyle and the Musou gameplay can't really hold my attention for too long. I think I only played HW for a couple of chapters so I'll probably skip this one.

Azuran

Banned
Will buy first day for sure.

I'm so glad to see the most important games in the series getting even more representation.

Will buy first day for sure.

I'm so glad to see the most important games in the series getting even more representation.
Really depends on how you define 'most important'. Highest sales numbers(Awakening)? Worst writing, story, and characters in the entire series(Fates)? Most important because it nearly tanked the franchise in the west (Shadow Dragon)?

PK Gaming

Really depends on how you define 'most important'. Highest sales numbers(Awakening)? Worst writing, story, and characters in the entire series(Fates)? Most important because it nearly tanked the franchise in the west (Shadow Dragon)?

Well no, let's not respond to an obvious troll comment with a disingenuous remark. The logic of having Shadow Dragon (the origin of the franchise that's well liked), Awakening (self explanatory), Fates (a recent and popular entry in the franchise) makes sense. The issue is that they used it to justify questionable roster decisions, while ignoring very obvious picks like Ike.

I like the cast of Fates. Hope Felicia gets in alongside Azura.

Shadow Dragon is also the first game. So yeah kinda important.

Oregano

Well I mean the Tellius games killed the franchise on home consoles altogether...

kewlmyc

So, if changing classes doesn't change movesets, what does it change? costumes only? If so, what a waste. I was more excited with the alternate movesets assuming they gave interesting alt classes to these characters.

Really on the fence with this one. Personally, I don't mind the 3DS focus as I actually liked those games, I think Heroes is the only FE game I've spent more time with than Conquest. Robin and Leo are enough to pick my interest. But I dislike the artstyle and the Musou gameplay can't really hold my attention for too long. I think I only played HW for a couple of chapters so I'll probably skip this one.

Yep, purely cosmetic from what we know so far ie the main characters going from Lord to Master Lord. Stats might possibly change, but we don't know for sure yet.

NSESN

Well no, let's not respond to an obvious troll comment with a disingenuous remark. The logic of having Shadow Dragon (the origin of the franchise that's well liked), Awakening (self explanatory), Fates (a recent and popular entry in the franchise) makes sense. The issue is that they used it to justify questionable roster decisions, while ignoring very obvious picks like Ike.

The problem with adding SD is that Blazing blade is as important imo because it was the origin of the series in the west. Ok they did add Lyn, but why not Hector? He is an armored axe lord.

PK Gaming

The problem with adding SD is that Blazing blade is as important imo because it was the origin of the series in the west. Ok they did add Lyn, but why not Hector? He is an armored axe lord.

I'm in agreement with you; the roster priority was skewed as fuck. Awakening and Fates don't need that many characters. They certainly didn't need every royal or characters like Lissa and Frederick.

Hector should have been a frontrunner. Especially due to how unique his moveset is.

JoeFu

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed, but I think I would have been disappointed if there was a Tellius DLC pack that only had like 2 or 3 characters. Those 2 games had so many characters that it would be hard to represent them. We'd need the Laguz, and a bunch of the favorites people have from the games, like some of mine such as Nephenee, Mia and etc...

Ike's games tanked the series before SD did honestly.
I wouldn't call Fates the worst characters either. (or writing for that matter, there's some good stuff there)
And Awakening is much more then just "sales".

Ketkat

This game is a stream of bad decisions one after the other. How can they go this route after Hyrule Warriors, is the dev team different? This should be even easier than that to get it right and yet they still fuck it up constantly, it's amazing if you think about it.

What do you mean? This seems like a super similar route to Hyrule Warriors

Sterok

And this is why Fire Emblem Musou was always a bad idea. Impossible to make people happy with a decent varied roster, and that's on top of getting turn-based strategy fans to buy into a hack and slash when the base series isn't that big (certainly compared to Zelda).

Personally, the roster is okay, but missing some important niches. Where's an armor unit? Where's a lance cav? How can they call Shadow Dragon a focus game with only 3 units? As much as I like Caeda, they should've just did with Marth what they did with Lyn and Celica so that they could've dug deeper into the Awakening and Fates cast. Well, unless there's a Magvel pack (fat chance) I'll probably have to satisfy myself wrecking face as Corrin, Robin, Leo, and Caeda.

javadoze

Pack 1: FE Fates (end of this year)
Pack 2: FE Shadow Dragon (Winter 2018, which is basically late Dec 2017 - mid March 2018)
Pack 3: FE Awakening (Spring 2018)

Welp... Guess I'm waiting for a pricedrop/Complete-Edition then.

This game's prerelease cycle is weird. They talked before about trying to make unconventional choices for the roster (like almost removing Lucina), but outside of Lyn/Celica, it's as safe as can be.

I freaking love Fates, but yeah this game is not winning my heart at all. The DLC announcement made it worse.

Oh well. Maybe we'll get an upgrade later on with TMS characters!

Is Bride Lucina really that tantalizing for fans? I mean I love Lucina but some people here and in other places are going gaga over this.

Cryxok

This game's prerelease cycle is weird. They talked before about trying to make unconventional choices for the roster (like almost removing Lucina), but outside of Lyn/Celica, it's as safe as can be.

Pretty sure they said IS stopped them from excluding Lucina. Wouldn't be surprised if they held their hands in terms of roster as well.

Cryxok

And yet Heroes have much better representation despite being made in-house.

Heroes started with SD/Elibe/Awakening/Fates focus. Yeah, it got better with time, but it started pretty much the same way. And the Elibe games had some pretty glaring holes in their roster selection, having fewer characters than the rest of the games focused.

BaconHat

And yet Heroes have much better representation despite being made in-house.

Pretty sure a character in heroes is much faster to create than a character in a 3d musou game.

Heroes started with SD/Elibe/Awakening/Fates focus. Yeah, it got better with time, but it started pretty much the same way. And the Elibe games had some pretty glaring holes in their roster selection, having fewer characters than the rest of the games focused.

That too.

Sterok

The poll was the best thing that could happen for Heroes, since it reassured people that no matter what your favorite game was, it would eventually get representation. Yeah there were jokes about there being more characters with enough variants to outnumber Sacred Stones characters than there were Sacred Stones characters, but we all knew it wouldn't last.

Of course Musou games can't create characters as easily, but either via DLC or a sequel we'll get more Elibe and Tellius eventually. Hard to blame people that aren't convinced, seeing as they don't like giving out good PR. I think History Mode was the only thing everyone liked.

NSESN

It isn't even close. Heroes started with a lot of SD, Fates and Awakening characters but then these games got no new characters beyong free units and event units. Warriors will have 3 packs of just characters from these games.

Cryxok

It isn't even close. Heroes started with a lot of SD, Fates and Awakening characters but then these games got no new characters beyong free units and event units. Warriors will have 3 packs of just characters from these games.

What I mean is that it's obvious that those 3 games are priorities for IS, and Heroes is proof as well because it started that way. Just because the first FEW DLC packs are from those 3 games as well doesn't necessarily mean their priorities are different between those FEW and FEH. Maybe they just couldn't fit as many characters in the base roster as IS considers a must from those games. They certainly wouldn't skip Tharja, Gaius or Azura.

As I said earlier in the thread, FEH started with 30 Fates characters, there aren't that many first-gen characters left to be added, less so popular characters.

Base Heroes had more then three times the characters than Fire Emblem Warriors has

NSESN

What I mean is that it's obvious that those 3 games are priorities for IS, and Heroes is proof as well because it started that way. Just because the first FEW DLC packs are from those 3 games as well doesn't necessarily mean their priorities are different between those FEW and FEH. Maybe they just couldn't fit as many characters in the base roster as IS considers a must from those games. They certainly wouldn't skip Tharja, Gaius or Azura.

As I said earlier in the thread, FEH started with 30 Fates characters, there aren't that many first-gen characters left to be added, less so popular characters.

The difference is that Heroes imediately focused on expanding the roster with other games when with Warriors we have to hope for a sequel.

Base Heroes had more then three times the characters than Fire Emblem Warriors has
What means that characters like Frederick and Lissa, and even Cordelia imo weren't necessary in the base game if they were going to make DLC anyway.

I dot think you should compared Heroes to Warriors.
Why not? Both are fanservice games.

Cryxok

The difference is that Heroes imediately focused on expanding the roster with other games when with Warriors we have to hope for a sequel.

What means that characters like Frederick and Lissa, and even Cordelia imo weren't necessary in the base game if they were going to make DLC anyway.

Why not? Both are fanservice games.

Again, FE:H added so many in the base roster that there aren't that many left to be added. Who is left from Fate's 1st gen? Other than Kaze and Silas, neither of the remaining characters is popular AFAIK; FEW there are many popular characters left out, like Tharja, Gaius, Azura, etc.

Besides, I'm not arguing which game did it better. Of course I prefer FEH's roster due to sheer amount. I'm trying to elaborate on why I wouldn't be surprised if IS is holding KT's hands in terms of roster, using Heroes base roster as evidence that SD/Awakening/Fates ARE indeed IS' priorities.

kswiston

Celica isn't exactly risky. She just starred in a game 5 months ago.

No idea why they decided to limit their focus of the main game to only 3 FE games. There is no reason they couldn't have gone with an all-star cast with major character representation from every FE game and had DLC packs dedicated to each game to flesh out the rosters more. Use the most popular characters while also including those from the older games. Just like how people didn't know about Marth and Roy when they were first included in SSBM, this could have been a great way to promote older titles that people might not now about. Expecting people wait for major characters they like in the second game in the series before the first is even released smacks of greed and arrogance.

NeonZ

So, if changing classes doesn't change movesets, what does it change? costumes only? If so, what a waste.

Only stats and costumes. Although the only "class changing" confirmed right now are promotions, no side-ways reclassing.

Thud

They said in an interview that each character can only use one weapon type, with their example being the OC twins will always fight with swords, even after they promote, etc

No fun allowed.

This game is looking worse by the minute :(

I'm sure it will do well, but yeah I don't like this direction.

I mean, I guess we will see if that's the case, because they're launching this a week before a big 3d Mario again, in America and Europe.
It's not the same scenario. Radiant Dawn was coming in after an already low selling console entry two years later and also after a 3D console Mario game, not to mention being sandwiched in with other third party titles on other platforms competing for public mindshare. It didn't have youtube, Nintendo Directs, and all of the other social media avenues for marketing. It didn't have a mobile game that's been been off to the side advertising its characters. Plus it was pretty hard and that hurt it with critics. Nintendo has done pretty much everything to screw this series over before Awakening.

Cryxok

They said in an interview that each character can only use one weapon type, with their example being the OC twins will always fight with swords, even after they promote, etc

Wait a sec, reading this again.

They confirmed the OC twins would gain access to Lance/Axe upon promotion. First time reading I thought you said the OC twins were the exception.

https://serenesforest.net/2017/09/05/warriors-history-mode-skills-class-change/#more-41535

"-When you promote you can get new skills and your stats increase. Characters might also get new weapons (Rowan has a lance in the picture)"

Top Bottom