• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors Review Thread

MechaX

I'm a big Musou fan but I find it hard to get too upset by reviewers who don't like it. When Metro says something like this...

...are they really wrong? I like the grindy and repetitive combat but I can easily see why others would find it boring. I mean, it's telling that nearly every review of a Musou game these days includes some variation of "if you're not a Warriors fan this one won't change your mind".

The problem is you start getting into situations like IGN's infamous review of Football Manager where the dislike for what it is supposed to be and who it's for overshadows any discussion on what the game does right and wrong in the context of its genre.

OVDRobo

The scores seem pretty good, particularly for a musou. I got a lot of enjoyment out of Hyrule Warriors despite some of its issues so I'm certain there's a good time to be had here as well.

Despite my personal issues with the roster as a long-standing Fire Emblem fan I'll probably pick this up, though I'll wait until I can get the core game and all the DLC for around the cost of a full-price game to offset my grievances.

Little Mons†er;252423531 said:
to be 'perched' is for someone to sit on something. so in the context of this, I am sitting ready and waiting for the game to release

also the person in the gif is Queen Gretchen from Brazil

Gotcha. Added to the vocab and memory banks.

Back on topic, still deciding if I pick this up. Haven't played a Warriors since the PS2 era.

Gotcha. Added to the vocab and memory banks.

Back on topic, still deciding if I pick this up. Haven't played a Warriors since the PS2 era.

Honestly, there are better Warriors games out there if you just want to play a Warriors game again. I'd say try something like Dynasty Warriors 8 or Warriors Orochi 3 first if you want to try to get back into Warriors.

OuterLimits

I wasn't planning on getting this, but I'm starting to change my mind. I really enjoyed Hyrule Warriors despite not playing many Zelda games over the years. Last DW game I bought was 6 on PS3(wasn't impressed). The only Zelda game I ever played much of was the first one as a kid years ago.(until BoTW)

I hate to admit that I became a bit addicted to Hyrule Warriors for some reason. It was easy to play and I got hooked by the grind. When an update would raise the level cap, or DLC added significant content, I was once again playing. Lol.

I actually like Fire Emblem more than Zelda, and the reviews are making me lean towards getting it.

Not sure I am going to get this. I loved the One Piece Pirate Warriors games but I was invested in the property as I am with the Berserk one which I have still yet to buy.

I think I will wait for it to be used/cheaper somewhere.

Astarte

Not sure I am going to get this. I loved the One Piece Pirate Warriors games but I was invested in the property as I am with the Berserk one which I have still yet to buy.

I think I will wait for it to be used/cheaper somewhere.

Berserk musou is ass

Considering the direction Dynasty Warriors 9 seems to be going in, I might just pick this game up for my Musou fix. Loved Hyrule Warriors even though I'm not that much of a Zelda fan.

I wish there was a demo for this to get an idea of how it plays. It looks kind of mindless from the videos I’ve seen and the fire emblem series isnt special to me because of its anime characters or whatever but the strategy gameplay.

McNum

I wish there was a demo for this to get an idea of how it plays. It looks kind of mindless from the videos I’ve seen and the fire emblem series isnt special to me because of its anime characters or whatever but the strategy gameplay.
Warriors games are deceptive in what a video looks like and what the player is doing. The combos and moment moment fighting isn't really important. The strategic decisions the player makes and the tactics used to accomplish those. That's the meat of a Warriors game. Especially for this one, it seems.

Think of them more as an RTS played from the perspective of a Super Unit than a beat 'em up. You can win any fight you start if you're decent at the game. but you cannot fight every fight. So choose wisely. You can win the fights but lose the battle anyway if you don't.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
basically, if you dont like dynasty warriors, this game is not for you.

Im guessin they dont even take some liberties to freshen it up like zelda or dragon quest. shame.

jrDev

It's good to have reviews from non-genre fans
No!

I will never put an FPS above a game that’s not FPS. I’m biased...it’s safe to say ignore me for my thoughts on FPS games...the only games that I come close to liking are the Prime games and maybe Mirrors Edge and even those aren’t high scorers for me (I LOVE the atmosphere of the Prime games though)...

Warriors games are deceptive in what a video looks like and what the player is doing. The combos and moment moment fighting isn't really important. The strategic decisions the player makes and the tactics used to accomplish those. That's the meat of a Warriors game. Especially for this one, it seems.

Think of them more as an RTS played from the perspective of a Super Unit than a beat 'em up. You can win any fight you start if you're decent at the game. but you cannot fight every fight. So choose wisely. You can win the fights but lose the battle anyway if you don't.

I’ve heard about this later of strategy in musou but still want to try first hand before dropping dough. I wonder if there are any musou games with demos on PS4.

I’ve heard about this later of strategy in musou but still want to try first hand before dropping dough. I wonder if there are any musou games with demos on PS4.
For what it’s worth I really liked hyrule warriors but am not a big fan of what I played of my free warriors series games on Xbox games with gold (samurai and dynasty I think)

I’m hoping I like FE warriors as well and don’t have a similar experience to when I played the mainline warriors games after playing HW.

Edit: just to add that while there is strategy in musou, hyrule warriors at least had a leveling/xp system that was quite significant and you could grind to increase your level. At some point being able to grind can negate a lot of strategy aspects, although I guess this is true of any RPG including some of the fire emblem games themselves.

HF2014

Pass. I want a real Fire Emblem. Just was never into DW games. Will never be. Hope it please fan of both genre tho.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Im guessin they dont even take some liberties to freshen it up like zelda or dragon quest. shame.

That is not correct
It derives many FE aspects as HW did from Zelda

Velcro Fly

It is going to hurt me deep that some of my favorites are not in this game but I am going to enjoy it anyway. It may push me to finish the third path of Fates finally.

Did you read the reviews? They all talk about how the game implements mechanics from the mainline series into the Warriors gameplay, much like Hyrule Warriors or DQ Heroes did.

ryseing

Did they send n3DS copies out? Or only Switch? I'm putting off getting a Switch until mainline FE proper comes out so I was planning on playing on n3DS if the performance is respectable.

Never mind, didn't see this discussion above. Honestly, if it stays around ~25 FPS with occasional dips I think I can manage until I buy the Switch version.

Or the 3 DLC packs coming out after the game is released.

The DLC packs have already been announced to be Awakening/Fates/Shadow Dragon. No Echoes unfortunately, which means no Alm to pair with Celica.

If Priam is in the Awakening pack I will be satisfied.

You didn't have to do any guessing regarding this. It is a review thread with multiple reviews posted, many of which explain the exact opposite of what you are guessing

Burai

shitonmychest57
The problem is you start getting into situations like IGN's infamous review of Football Manager where the dislike for what it is supposed to be and who it's for overshadows any discussion on what the game does right and wrong in the context of its genre.

Nah, the IGN Football Manager review repeatedly compared the game to FIFA and PES. The reviewer didn’t dislike what it was, they literally didn’t understand what it was.

In this case, the reviewer simply hates the series and that’s fine. It’s a polarising series and I have far more respect for someone to give it a low score and say they hated it than have someone hate it but give it an 8 because they know they’ll get Warriors stans emailing them hate if they don’t.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So far, my biggest concern with this game is the environments. Hyrule Warriors had all kinds of unique settings because Zelda games explore many unique and fantastical areas and TP, SS, and OoT had rather distinct aesthetics (though OoT and TP were certainly neighbors). The limited footage of Fire Emblem Warriors I've seen so far has seemed a bit same-y, feeling all like medieval architecture. Is there variety?

I guess this applies in general to the game: characters, enemies, etc. In Hyrule Warriors, playing as a water-bending Zora while fighting Lizalfos felt really different from playing as an imp on a wolf fighting cartoony Bokoblins. I hope Fire Emblem Warriors still has that.

Better gameplay, worse character selection.

No Tharja, no sales.

I might buy it in April when all the DLC is out (hoping they add Tharja with the March DLC).

Chie Satonaka91

Neo Member
Sadly, I don't think they will ever bring it out inn the west. Please prove me wrong though.

I really want this to get localized too. Maybe the cost of the 32gb cart scared them off it. I'm hoping Nintendo would pick it themselves to fill a lull in the release schedule early next year. At the very least, Square is bringing over Dragon Quest Builders 1 to Switch, so they aren't allergic to releasing Dragon Quest games on Switch in the west (unlike the 3ds).

Top Bottom