• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fired from Hollister for wearing the hijab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

Freezer Rat said:
That's actually the saddest part about this whole situation. Hollister will probably lose, and have to give this girl wads of cash she did nothing to earn aside from being offended.

Man, I also feel for these ethically and morally heinous companies. If they could get away with it they'd put a sign out in front of all of their stores that reads "WHITES ONLY".

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Zeliard said:
Man, I also feel for these ethically and morally heinous companies. If they could get away with it they'd put a sign out in front of all of their stores that reads "WHITES ONLY".
Yeah, because I'm sure not having a few black people walking through their stores is a lot more important to them than their bottom line. Don't be retarded.

Zeliard

demon said:
Yeah, because I'm sure not having a few black people walking through their stores is a lot more important to them than their bottom line. Don't be retarded.

:lol

You mean the two black people that go into A&F on a yearly basis?

I hope you're not too stupid to realize that limiting store patronage in such ways used to be a common practice until society somewhat evolved, and not very long ago at that. A&F would never do this now not because simply not having those people in their stores would "limit their bottom line" (please), but because they'd be lambasted to hell and back for it. Their general marketing and hiring does very much speak to white America, however, even if there are no "whites only" signs outright stating it.

The point remains that they are a revolting company with revolting ethics and viewpoints of society-at-large. They've been taken to task in the past for their sweatshops and their hilariously transparent and discriminatory hiring practices. There's nothing to defend. They are horrible.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
So when a food chain stop serving pork, non-Muslims need to go someplace else, but when a girl can't wear her religious clothing, it's not the same thing? Why doesn't she just get a job somewhere else?

There's shit tons of hypocrisy in this thread. Seriously.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Zeliard said:
:lol

You mean the two black people that go into A&F on a yearly basis?

I hope you're not too stupid to realize that limiting store patronage in such ways used to be a common practice until society somewhat evolved, and not very long ago at that. A&F would never do this now not because simply not having those people in their stores would "limit their bottom line" (please), but because they'd be lambasted to hell and back for it. Their general marketing and hiring does very much speak to white America, however, even if there are no "whites only" signs outright stating it.

The point remains that they are a revolting company with revolting ethics and viewpoints of society-at-large. They've been taken to task in the past for their sweatshops and their hilariously transparent and discriminatory hiring practices. There's nothing to defend. They are horrible.
You're still at it?

Look, this isn't some mom and pop store in 1961 South Carolina run by a couple people who can't stand the sight of them negroes. It's a huge corporation with a bottom line and that's all they care about. If they'd lose even a small percentage of sales from limiting their customer base and risk even larger sales losses from boycotts, they wouldn't think of it, and their shareholders wouldn't allow it. If you're trying to tell me there may be a racist person near the top of the corporate ladder at one of these companies, congratulations, you told me something any person with half a fucking brain already knows.

And if you're telling me non-white people don't shop at Hollister and A&F, you really are goddamn retarded.

Fio

Companies have dress codes, deal with it.

Unless I had no other option, there's no way I'd shop in a place where the first thing I'd see is a shining beacon of oppression of women, I wouldn't feel comfortable at all. And if I were a woman, I wouldn't even contemplate the idea of shopping there, as I'd feel much more uncomfortable.

Zeliard

demon said:
You're still at it?

Look, this isn't some mom and pop store in 1961 South Carolina run by a couple people who can't stand the sight of them negroes. It's a huge corporation with a bottom line and that's all they care about. If they'd lose even a small percentage of sales from limiting their customer base and risk even larger sales losses from boycotts, they wouldn't think of it, and their shareholders wouldn't allow it. If you're trying to tell me there may be a racist person near the top of the corporate ladder at one of these companies, congratulations, you told me something any person with half a fucking brain already knows.

And if you're telling me non-white people don't shop at Hollister and A&F, you really are goddamn retarded.

Man, you are incredibly slow. The vast majority of A&F employees are white. Its clothing is very much marketed to White America. It's so egregious that A&F has literally been sued about this in the past - they've attempted to market their clothing and their "image" so deliberately and specifically that it has caused issues with their hiring practices, where any ethnic minority or someone who doesn't "look the part" is inherently given less of a chance. They also heavily recruited employees at white sororities and fraternities, a practice they were forced to end recently (guess why?).

The marketing is deliberately ethnocentric, attempting to target white college-aged Americans above all else. I'm sure you think their clothing is fantastic. I don't care. I'm telling you that the company is reprehensible, and you've yet to muster any sort of defense against that. Your defense seems to be "they're just like any other company" when I've shown you that they are worse than most, so I guess you simply can't read.

nyong

Banned
Umm, what's the problem? If some girl refused to take off a giant crucifix around her neck she would get the same treatment. Hollister has a dress code. Employee refuses to abide by dress code. Employee gets fired. Scandalous!

Or maybe we should try to be more sensitive to these things. If someone wants to wear a burka and work at Hooters, why not?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Gaborn said:
Not me. I want to know who the racists are, who the anti-gays are. Who the anti-Semites are, etc. Let's see them out loud and proud... and see society reject them.

Laws like these are one of the biggest reasons why our society has evolved to the point where we can reject racists.

Laws like these are necessary. If you start giving the racists legal ground because of the misguided assumption that society as a whole will reject them, you're going to wind up with issues. Racism isn't gone in America, and there's still a shitload of racists out there. You start legitimizing them by repealing these discrimination laws and the racists are only going to grow and gain support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom