• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox taking dumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The last time Firefox crashed on me was because I had 167 tabs open.

I crash Firefox daily, usually by tab overload.

trying to get Chrome to deal with half as many tabs as firefox does sends all my ram to the shitter, though. And The Great Suspender is a shitty hack : (

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Why would you have 167 tabs open? o_O Just put them in bookmarks. I mean, you can even display your bookmarks on a bar if you want to access them quickly like tabs.

Opening absolutely everything in newtab and forgetting to close them.

pestul

I'd say I've had 100+ tabs open on occasion, but it's definitely not something I normally do. Maybe average between 5-20. Anyway, Waterfox is wonderful so far... I may have actually found a good one.

Firefox has been crashing on me whenever I browse GAF or watch Twitch. Twitch is mainly due to Flash. NeoGAF on the other hand is because of GIFs which is weird to me.

Faerith

Neo Member
Why would you have 167 tabs open? o_O Just put them in bookmarks. I mean, you can even display your bookmarks on a bar if you want to access them quickly like tabs.
Not the one you asked,but: to easily switch between tab-types (if sorted)?
And at least with tab groups I can sort my tabs by topic "daily" "forums" "job related" "interesting stuff" and what not and switch between them with just one shortcut
instead of scrolling through a giant tab-list with FF getting a heartattack.
Of course on the downside every startup is "don't touch until fully loaded".

I never liked using bookmarks - they always end up a messy pile of links because I can't be bothered to select the proper folder at some point.
Sorted Tab hoarding is just better. (hello, I'm faerith, I used to be a tab-messy... now I hoard in groups...)

Noscript, absolutely. Tab groups were split off from the browser core, but turned into an add-on.
Thanks. =)
Guess I'll try to look up how their planned support for groups will be, can't stay on an unupdated browser.
I really love this feature since someone mentioned it a year ago in the last Firefox related thread.

kharma45

Strange this. FF is solid for me on my desktop PC at home and my work laptop. I tried a few of the GIF and image heavy pages on here but it didn't seem to cause any hiccups.

NastyBook

Firefox started strangling my old PC with each update, forcing me to seek refuge with Chrome, even with my newer machine that can run both with no problems. Haven't looked back since.

Enosh

yep firefox went to shit, i don't know what the fuck they broke as far as gifs go

I'd switch to chrome, but I usually have way too many tabs open (click interesting article/video, "I swear I'll read/watch it just after finishing this other one!" and then I don't ^^) and chrome sucks for tabs since it just makes them smaller and smaller, unless there is some add on for that that I missed, last time I checked there wasn't any

pestul

My GAF browsing habits generally consist of opening every interesting topic on the front page into new tabs and then going through them. Sometimes going off to other sites like gmail / news / weather / whatever.. next thing you know it there's 25+ tabs open.

My GAF browsing habits generally consist of opening every interesting topic on the front page into new tabs and then going through them.

I do that but with just one tab, using Backspace to go back (and Shift+Backspace to go forth) when necessary.

I do have Facebook in a pinned tab though and sometimes Gmail too.

Accoun

I crash Firefox daily, usually by tab overload.

trying to get Chrome to deal with half as many tabs as firefox does sends all my ram to the shitter, though. And The Great Suspender is a shitty hack : (

Presto Opera was absolutely the best for me. Shame about what happened to it.
I have around 300 tabs open ATM, although only a few of them are actually active and the rest isn't loaded. I REALLY should clean up my session.

Souzetsu

I usually have 50 tabs open during work. Looking at and comparing different components requires lots of tabs for me. Though this does get Firefox to act a little choppy.

So far 44.0.2 seems to have stopped the GIF issues. But now Vines don't work again. :\

Kansoku

You guys need to learn about Vivaldi. Used it even before the beta, more stable than FireFox was for me before, and it has a bunch of good features that an old Opera user, like me, would appreciate. The first actual release is coming soon too.

pestul

Well, another source of my troubles (after some digging), actually stemmed from really high cpu usage from Bitdefender Antivirus. I switched back to Avast! Free and it's much much lower load. Waterfox is still brilliant testing many many tabs and gif heavy threads.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You guys need to learn about Vivaldi. Used it even before the beta, more stable than FireFox was for me before, and it has a bunch of good features that an old Opera user, like me, would appreciate. The first actual release is coming soon too.
I definitely prefer Vivaldi over the new Opera. You can at least install extensions directly from the Chrome store.

However, I still use FF since I don't have any issues with it. :p

I had the GIF lag for a short time, but I haven't noticed it on 44.0.2.

Switch to Palemoon, its Firefox before they decided to turn it into Chrome.
You could also just switch to ESR, unless you must have the old outdated look.

I preferred Cyberfox as the alternate Firefox-based browser, but since there is now an official 64-bit version of Firefox, I dumped it.

Mista Koo

At work I would look stuff up and forget to close the tabs. That one time made me learn to pin tabs so I would just close all tabs every now and then.

At home I usually have ~10 tabs open for stuff that I wanna check out later, they often stay there for a week or so before I finally check them out.

Starviper

Use Chrome?

EDIT: No wonder you're having issues with 167 tabs open.. Can't even imagine the amount of RAM that must take up. Most I ever have open is around 40 if i'm doing research, beyond that why not keep your bookmarks sorted into folders? If you can organize tab groups you can manage bookmarks.

Schrade

Use Chrome?

EDIT: No wonder you're having issues with 167 tabs open.. Can't even imagine the amount of RAM that must take up. Most I ever have open is around 40 if i'm doing research, beyond that why not keep your bookmarks sorted into folders? If you can organize tab groups you can manage bookmarks.

I just looked and ..I have 448 tabs open in Pale Moon and it's only taking 1.17 GB of RAM :) I love the way Pale Moon unloads tabs when not in use and when you want to view them it reloads them up.

Mista Koo

Use Chrome?

I'm not OP, but I was saying the one time it crashed in recent memory was because I had a ridiculously huge number of tabs open. Performance wise I didn't even notice any slow downs or anything before it crashed.

jstripes

Banned
Use Chrome?

Firefox doesn't keep every tab active or in memory.

Plus, I've got 16 GB, so I can afford to waste some RAM.

malfcn

What did I do..trying to save gifs doesn't automatically recognize the .gif extension type. I have to manually name it. And Windows asks what program to open images now. Ffs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I downloaded the 64bit version, but it still tries to instal to x86, wtf.

Just saw this topic while looking around Google for more people with the GIF hang issues, I mentioned it in the OT back on the 5th but the discussion didn't really go anywhere. I should try the 64-bit version to see what happens.

It's been a pain in the ass and it isn't as if I keep a ton of tabs open and hell, I had it briefly stop responding with only one GIF on the page.

shira

Firefox won't load
crazy.gif

pestul

Bringing this up again because even Waterfox x64 is taking dumps with scrolling for me lately.

The new page scrolling technique is still only on the Nightly/Development channel. Come on Mozilla and get that shit to stable!

EDIT: Back to Nightly for now

jstripes

Banned
GIFs from encrypted servers are still causing the browser to beachball until they're finished loading.

This is getting bad, especially with all the bozos who casually post 50MB reaction GIFs.

GIFs from encrypted servers are still causing the browser to beachball until they're finished loading.

This is getting bad, especially with all the bozos who casually post 50MB reaction GIFs.

I've switched to Chrome for GAF, but I still use Firefox for all my other web browsing.

Ogodei

I got this problem back in 2015. Whatever i did, clean installs, messing around in about:config, trying to fiddle with stuff on the Windows side, every time i opened a new tab my CPU usage would rocket up to 100% and hang there for a minute before cooling down. Never figured out what the problem was.

I switched to Pale Moon, and it has issues of its own (being an obscure branch browser, and them switching to a different code-base called Gecko has created some useragent problems), but it's always run smooth as butter.

Odd thing is i've been using firefox at work consistently since then and haven't had a single problem with it, so this must be an issue that develops in isolated circumstances.

jett

D-Member
Firefux is straight garbage right now. I get a black screen for several seconds when I go in or out of fullscreen mode in YouTube. It's always a cycle with web browsers. One of them starts doing annoying shit eventually, and I change my main to another.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Try switching to an unofficial branch like Cyberfox. I did a few months ago and I can't remember the last time I had a crash.
There's no reason to use Cyberfox when there is an official 64-bit version of Firefox available now.

I dumped Cyberfox as soon as it became official a few months ago.

Stitch

Gold Member
Firefux is straight garbage right now. I get a black screen for several seconds when I go in or out of fullscreen mode in YouTube. It's always a cycle with web browsers. One of them starts doing annoying shit eventually, and I change my main to another.

go to about:config

search for full-screen-api.transition-duration

set full-screen-api.transition-duration.enter and full-screen-api.transition-duration.leave both to 0 0

OG Kush

Mac user, Upgraded from 36 to 42 (or whatever the newest version is) and its gone to shit. Chugs a lot, crashes a lot, flash acting really weird and general shittyness. I want to uninstall but it seems i'll have to lose my history and also reeinstalling all my add ons, scripts etc seems so long.

Vashetti

Banned
Mac user, Upgraded from 36 to 42 (or whatever the newest version is) and its gone to shit. Chugs a lot, crashes a lot, flash acting really weird and general shittyness. I want to uninstall but it seems i'll have to lose my history and also reeinstalling all my add ons, scripts etc seems so long.

Use Safari

pestul

Release channel is still on 45.. we need to get to 46+ to fix the dumping issue on gif/image heavy pages. Come on Mozilla! Developer channel has the fixes but I don't need all the updates it brings.

pestul

45.0.1 was dumpy.. now that 45.0.2 is out, it feels good again. I've also found that using the Adobe Flash beta channel helps a lot (if you even still need to use Flash these days).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom