• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch - E32015 - PS4 / PC

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
I tought the trailer looked really great. Love the artstyle. What you guys think ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGfd1MwL-T4

From Wikipedia:

Synopsis:
Firewatch takes place in the Wyoming wilderness in 1989. Players take on the role of Henry (voiced by Rich Sommer), a fire lookout who has been assigned to his own tower in Shoshone National Forest. Through exploration of the surrounding area, players uncover clues about mysterious occurrences in the vicinity, related to the ransacking of his tower while out on a routine patrol. Henry's only form of communication is a walkie-talkie connecting him to his supervisor, Delilah (voiced by Cissy Jones). Players may choose from a number of dialog options to interact with her, or refrain from responding. The player's choices will influence the tone of his relationship with Delilah.

Development:
Firewatch is the first video game from Campo Santo, a San Francisco-based developer founded by Jake Rodkin and Sean Vanaman, who were the creative leads of Telltale Games' The Walking Dead; Nels Anderson, the lead designer of Mark of the Ninja; and Olly Moss, an artist of some repute. Chris Remo is composing the score. Firewatch runs on the Unity game engine.

Development for Firewatch began with a single painting by Moss. Jane Ng, lead environment artist at Campo Santo, was tasked with translating Moss' key art into 3D environments while maintaining his stylized, elemental artistic vision. Moss, who had previously been known primarily for his graphic design work, joined Vanaman and Rodkin to found Campo Santo after spending many years working on the periphery of game development. In creating the aforementioned painting, Moss emulated National Park Service posters from the New Deal era in both color palette and iconography. The walkie-talkie interaction in Firewatch is inspired by the player's relationship with Atlas in BioShock, as well as the dialog system from The Walking Dead. The development team went on a camping trip to Yosemite National Park for inspiration for the game. The game is also inspired in part by Vanaman's and Anderson's experiences growing up in rural Wyoming.

The game was announced in March 2014 with a tentative release date of "2015". The last update from the developers' blog, concerning their GDC exhibition, was posted April 15th, 2015.

Liamc723

Behind the big 3 announcements and Horizon, this was my favourite reveal. I've wanted this game on PS4 for a long time and I'm so happy it's finally coming!

kiguel182

Best trailer of the Sony presentation. Really glad this is coming to the PS4.

Apparently Campo Santo is aiming for a 2015 release. Hopefully they can do it because I do not want to wait a long time for this.

Super excited for Firewatch! Campo Santo is a real powerhouse of an indie team, and I'm excited to see their first game! If you don't, check out the podcast Idle Thumbs! It's a great show and three of the hosts are three of the founders of Campo Santo, one of which is the writer of Firewatch.

Xater

I have been interested in it ever since it was announced. Glad it's coming to console now as well, so I can definitely play it.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I loved the trailer. I had never heard of this before, but they definitely have my attention now.

Luke_Wal

I've had my eye on this game since I got unveiled, but I've been cautious about getting too excited for it because I was worried it might not come to a platform I own. My hype meter is off the charts for this one. Looks totally unique.

kyser73

Behind the big 3 announcements and Horizon, this was my favourite reveal. I've wanted this game on PS4 for a long time and I'm so happy it's finally coming!

Snap. Was thinking of making a thread on it, as it seemed to get a bit lost in between dogbirds, robodinos etc etc. Loved the concept when I saw the PC trailer last year, and am very happy its coming to PS4...wonder if they can squeeze 60fps out of it and put it in VR...

SJRB

Gold Member
Great premise, awesome artstyle, some of the best voice acting I've ever heard in a game.

What's not to like?

Luigi87

I'm very interested in this, between the art style and the voice acting + dialogue heard thus far, I think it'll be a very good ride.

megalowho

Was nice to see an updated trailer, and to see Campo Santo get some shine on a big stage. Already sold so I'm glad they're holding back from showing too much. Great that it's coming to PS4, hope they're able to hit 2015.

AgeEighty

Loved the feel of the preview, with that feeling of mystery and the gorgeous natural settings. The vibe reminded me a bit of the few non-night scenes in Alan Wake.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Love the lightning:

newscreen3.jpg

newscreen5.jpg

Firewatch-13.jpg

a-deeper-darker-look-at-firewatch-ign-first_5gun.1920.jpg

newscreen2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

That E3 trailer sold me. The mysterious vibe and the dynamic between the characters could lead to a very special experience. Day one for me.

Thought I posted here. But apparently not. NeoGAF must have decided I wasn't ready for another thought yet.

Anyway, I wish more people reacted to this game as strongly as I did. I am so excited for this, I could see this becoming one of my favorite games ever. I am so TAKEN by it. I can't wait to play it.

nortonff

Holy shit. Wonder who is publishing? Also, do we have a release window?

It's a new publisher called Panic.

LaneDS

Really great showing and was surprised to see it featured in such a big way at Sony's conference. Also a retail release was an unexpected surprise.

Top Bottom