• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC Detailed

I doubt Lunatic will be more difficult than FE12. Eventually you're going to be able to buy Rainbow Potion+ or something silly, or grind, or whatever, and it'll end up feeling like normal difficulty. I'd still like to know if there's a scoring system.

Peff

I'd still like to know if there's a scoring system.

Going by the lack of any information regarding that and the several pictures of endgame stuff/capped units/epilogues (and a baffling amount of info about pairings, children, etc.) out there, it's probably safe to assume that there isn't, even though it's not actually confirmed yet. A shame, really.

EDIT: Looks like it records turn count at the very least, but then again so did FE9/10.

Yeah, I don't think a little turn indicator is good enough.

If it does happen to be difficult I also suspect they'll nerf the NA version difficulty like they usually do.

I doubt Lunatic will be more difficult than FE12. Eventually you're going to be able to buy Rainbow Potion+ or something silly, or grind, or whatever, and it'll end up feeling like normal difficulty. I'd still like to know if there's a scoring system.

Then don't buy them or grind.

MechaX

nintendo has joined the dark side

what happened to you nintendo?you were cool

In all seriousness, given how nintendo titles are slow to drop in price a lot of times and since the DLC is at least free at launch, that's still miles better than the rest of the industry.

NeonZ

Is there any report about the true Marth DLC yet? Does he have class/promotion/class change, supports and marriage options? Or is it a completely barebones cameo without anything that the core cast has?

BTW, here's your 10 year old dragon girl.

jXRzt.png

I seriously doubt we can pass that off as "18" especially when dragons are much older.

bon

jXRzt.png

I seriously doubt we can pass that off as "18" especially when dragons are much older.

Maybe she smoked when she was young and it stunted her growth.
Bam, awkward lolicon moment turned into a valuable PSA.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad

jXRzt.png

Dead or Alive gets away with the 'age unknown' bit. Hehehe.

CSX

IF they can lie about Lyn's age, they can lie about this girl's age too right? right?

COME TO THE STATES PLZZZZZ!!! * Gets on knees* JUST WANT TO PLAY A NEW GOOD FE !!!

NeonZ

Couldn't find any info about the Marth DLC itself, but I've found a site that apparently already has some info about the crossover DLC mission where you get him... It sounds pretty odd if real. Pretty big fanservice though.

http://h1g.jp/fe_kakusei/index.php?異伝 英霊の魔符1

"Cursed Heroic Spirits"

Player units: Krom and 6 units.

Allied units: Marth from the spirit world(FE1/3),
Ike(FE9/10) and Alm(FE2)

Enemy units (Big list of
cameo characters, although they're probably just generic units here, especially considering their classes
:

Diadora lv7 (FE4) - Dark Mage
Eirika lv7 (FE8) - Swordsman (not confirmed.)
Mikaya lv7 (FE10) - Mage
Elincia lv7 (FE9/10) - Pegasus Knight (not confirmed.)
Lyn lv8 (FE7) - Swordsman (not confirmed.)
Yuria lv8 (FE4)- Mage
Nanna lv7 (FE4/5) - Drobadour (not confirmed.)
Lilina lv8 (FE6) - Mage
Sheeda (FE1/3) - Pegasus Knight (not confirmed.)
Cellica lv8 (FE2) - Mage (Boss)

-Krom can talk with Marth
-Main character can talk with Ike
-Visiting villages, the player can obtain the "overcoming bow" and "hand spear".
-After clearing, Marth can become a companion.
-Marth can class change into a Star Lord, like Krom.

Vamphuntr

I don't think the possibility of marrying a 10 old girl is such a huge issue for the localization. They simply can turn off the event flag that let you marry her and rewrite her supports so that they aren't romantic. Problem solved!

Since they already are making tons of DLC characters, maybe they can have a replacement waifu in the EU/US version out of one of them.

Prax

uh sure...

Lissen, after reading about some of the plot (lol), and knowing about the myriad of systems they are tossing in, it just.. doesn't seem like the next mainline Fire Emblem sequel I would have expected. I see production values and effort, but I also see possibly unpalatable add-ons and experimentation. I am keeping an open mind though!

They brought back children-making and skills, so maybe all the good will outweigh the questionable parts. I still expect the gameplay to be decent to awesome. It's more the story and characters I'm worried about right now. The kind of pandering artwork doesn't help either. Sacred Stones for example.. also kind of a joke game to me.

I don't think the possibility of marrying a 10 old girl is such a huge issue for the localization. They simply can turn off the event flag that let you marry her and rewrite her supports so that they aren't romantic. Problem solved!

She has a baby with you. You play as the children too.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Dragons mature differently than humans, duh. She could have peaked now. Like seahorse.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
i like the cognitive dissonance as people try to wrap their heads around having children and an adult relationship with someone who looks like that. The question shouldnt people be why does she look like that from a story perspective. It should be why does she need to look like that at all.

i like the cognitive dissonance as people try to wrap their heads around having children and an adult relationship with someone who looks like that. The question shouldnt people be why does she look like that from a story perspective. It should be why does she need to look like that at all.

Manakete age much more slowly than humans. She's probably a couple of thousand years old, but looks and have the maturity of a child. This was established way before marriage was even a feature in the series.

Young looking adult characters have been marriage candidates in other games released in English. Just look at the Harvest Moon series (especially the Rune Factory sub series), and you'll see plenty of adult characters that look quite young, and you can marry and have kids with them too.

I don't think it's going to be a problem.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Manakete age much more slowly than humans. She's probably a couple of thousand years old, but looks and have the maturity of a child. This was established way before marriage was even a feature in the series.

The answer to the wrong question.

I don't think it's going to be a problem.

It's still pretty damn creepy, even if it's justified in-universe.

Normally, I'm vehemently against censorship, but I wouldn't be very disappointed to see the Nono romance go in the international release it if weren't for the fact that you'd be removing entire units from the game. For that reason alone, I hope they find some way to write around it instead of just removing it entirely.

Edit: Sigurd is a SpotPass character. I'm going to be pretty pissed of they don't release all of the extra content in America.

Then don't buy them or grind.

It's the developers responsibility to create a balanced and challenging game with accurate skill measurement, not the players responsibility to make sense out of the typical imbalanced mess RPG devs leave behind.

Imagine if a developer released an imbalanced shoot em up without a scoring system, you just flew through the game blowing things up and reached the end. Then someone complains that it lacked a scoring system, that one of the player ships was absurdly overpowered compared to the others, and that players can continue spam through the game with no repercussions. Then you show up and say "just don't use the OP ship and don't hit continue". That's the kind of myopic apologizing you just did. That excuse doesn't work for other genres and it shouldn't work for turn based tactical level games.

tiff

Banned
I'd rather them just not bring the game over at all.

SMT

I'd rather them just not bring the game over at all.

What's wrong? First you called this game subpar, now you don't want it here at all, what gives?

Is it the sexual bestiality connotations?

SMT

If it's the difference between releasing the game and not, then it should.

So the Japanese people are more mature, and can handle odd scenarios, but foreigners can't. Is that what you're saying?

I don't know if I'd say the developers of this game were mature to allow you to impregnate a character with the body of a ten-year-old.

I know, but it makes good conversation, and maturity is relative. ;) Why should they change the game for us? Doesn't it make us feel inferior? Why can't there be equity among cultures?

What can be considered mature varies among cultures, who are we to question the maturity of the developers? That is ethnocentric at best.

All lovely debate questions.

I go to great lengths for uncut content, it would disappoint me for someone else to tamper with the original masterpiece. It's irritating, even subpar localization gets to me.

So the Japanese people are more mature, and can handle odd scenarios, but foreigners can't. Is that what you're saying?

Not at all. I'm saying that each culture is different and has different standards of what is acceptable, especially in media. Part of [good] localization is adjusting to those differing standards as best you can. Sometimes, you also have publishers/producers/original developers mandating changes in international versions to meet different demographics or ratings in different regions.

IronLich

This is a Nintendo game, right? Are we sure it's not Idea Factory Shame Game #31 just being conveniently on a Nintendo platform?

I love the idea of DLC characters from past games and all, but Nintendo, you HAD to know that some of those ideas aren't up the Western Hemisphere's alley.

SMT

Not at all. I'm saying that each culture is different and has different standards of what is acceptable, especially in media. Part of [good] localization is adjusting to those differing standards as best you can. Sometimes, you also have publishers/producers/original developers mandating changes in international versions to meet different demographics or ratings in different regions.

I agree with you, maturity varies among regions, everything is relative. But if you're ordering a game, don't you want the essence, or an interpretation of what once was?

I know this philosophical, the copy of the copy, but to me, I like to stay true to the source as best as I can.

American standards have ruined some good series out there. Why can Duke Nukem treat human women as objects, but a romantic relationship between an ancient humanoid dragon (which is not human) and a man can't get passed ridicule?

These filthy standards are skewed, on either side, the ballpark is a no man's land.

Pick your sleaziness, and away!

udivision

I agree with you, maturity varies among regions, everything is relative. But if you're ordering a game, don't you want the essence, or an interpretation of what once was?

I know this philosophical, the copy of the copy, but to me, I like to stay true to the source as best as I can.

American standards have ruined some good series out there. Why can Duke Nukem treat human women as objects, but a romantic relationship between an ancient humanoid dragon (which is not human) and a man can't get passed ridicule?

These filthy standards are skewed, on either side, the ballpark is a no man's land.

Pick your sleaziness, and away!

I think it's that Americans are more protective of children, and people kind of roll their eyes at the "She has a body of a child but really is 1,000's of year old" excuse.

SMT

I think there's a big difference between objectifying women and being able to have sex with a character who has the body of a human child.

Really? We have that in the game? There's a sex mini-game? :3 You're feeding your imagination with these thoughts, maybe they don't have sex and she steals his seed. Maybe that is what really happens, and everyone is blowing this romance out of proportion.

The mind can be a powerful thing, your son calling you a pervert, since when is he able to speak, 16 years later? Or does he fully mature after one year? Proving that Dragons do indeed age differently from Humans.

I think it's that Americans are more protective of children, and people kind of roll their eyes at the "She has a body of a child but really is 1,000's of year old" excuse.

Yes, I agree entirely.

Tookay

Really? We have that in the game? There's a sex mini-game? :3 You're feeding your imagination with these thoughts, maybe they don't have sex and she steals his seed. Maybe that is what really happens, and everyone is blowing this romance out of proportion.

The mind can be a powerful thing, your son calling you a pervert, since when is he able to speak, 16 years later? Or does he fully mature after one year? Proving that Dragons do indeed age differently from Humans.

Ah, the age old "maybe you are the pervert" defense. This usually ends well.

Look, they could explain this any number of ways. But is it so hard to understand where people are coming from, based off what we know and the stereotypes it usually involves? We have an underage-looking character who probably acts rather childlike, making it creepy to some people. This isn't difficult to grasp.

Just grabbed the Marth DLC. Haven't touched it yet though.

I've played for about 3 1/2 hours today despite being sick as all hell. Totally worth it. It's been a blast thus far.

Though keep in mind I've never played a Fire Emblem game before. Playing it on classic mode cause it's more fun having that sense of urgency when a character is near death.

guek

Banned
Ah, the age old "maybe you are the pervert" defense. This usually ends well.

Look, they could explain this any number of ways. But is it so hard to understand where people are coming from, based off what we know and the stereotypes it usually involves? We have an underage-looking character who probably acts rather childlike, making it creepy to some people. This isn't difficult to grasp.

It's very very easy for people in this thread, the vast majority of which grew up outside of japan, to understand what's objectionable. And by that I'm not trying to imply that japanese culture somehow condones pedophilia. Some people seem to be raising their noses as if that's the case though.

This is really weird issue, not because the oddity that is copulating with females with the appearance of a 10 yr old is somehow up for debate, but because...well...this idea is somehow not perceived as utterly distasteful in japan. And man, that's weird. It's too easy to say it's wrong, because like I said, I don't believe for a second nintendo is championing pedophilia.

Yes, the fact that she only looks like a pre-adolescent and isn't actually the age the character appears is significant. Not necessarily within the context of western culture, but certainly in japan. I'm not pretending like I understand exactly why. It's bizarre to me too, but so is a lot of Japanese culture. That isn't to say cultural differences somehow make certain things I find universally objectionable automatically tolerable, but I'd rather say I don't understand than gasp and point the finger.

StayDead

jXRzt.png

In response to the previous poster, I'm not seeing how she looks young at all, sure she has a small chestal area, but I've seen plenty of people over the age of 18 that look like that (minus the anime stylings). I don't get why it'd cause a problem.

In other news, I paid for my copy yesterday, hopefully it'll ship soon. RyougaSaotome how did you get your copy so soon? :eek:

Top Bottom