• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Ace 8095

Fun doesn't mean shit has to be random.

I'm no longer "super competitive" either, but I always enjoyed Halo because of it's gameplay. Timing of the power weapons, map control, etc. was always fun. Just because you go for map control or time power weapons doesn't mean you're an "MLG douchebag" (as someone called it earlier) or a super srs gamer.

What Halo 4 is doing is taking EVERYTHING that made Halo what it was, and throwing it out the window to try and make it Call of Duty: Space. If I wanted to play CoD, I'd play CoD.

Oh well. I knew this day was coming. It was only a matter of time before Microsoft got jealous that Call of Duty dethroned it and would just make Halo a shit CoD clone.
That's quite a statement given we no hardly anything about it.

I honestly didn't mind the flood levels in Halo. It felt like Doom. All dark, simpleton enemies everywhere. Everything else about the game felt different to other shooters, so it actually had a nice touch of familiarity to it.

And no flaws could bring the game down from highs like dropping on the beach on Silent Cartographer or the whole of AoTC. And just romping around that pretty weird world in the warthog, god damn.

I'm getting all emotional and stuff.

TheOddOne

Fun doesn't mean shit has to be random.

I'm no longer "super competitive" either, but I always enjoyed Halo because of it's gameplay. Timing of the power weapons, map control, etc. was always fun. Just because you go for map control or time power weapons doesn't mean you're an "MLG douchebag" (as someone called it earlier) or a super srs gamer.

What Halo 4 is doing is taking EVERYTHING that made Halo what it was, and throwing it out the window to try and make it Call of Duty: Space. If I wanted to play CoD, I'd play CoD.

Oh well. I knew this day was coming. It was only a matter of time before Microsoft got jealous that Call of Duty dethroned it and would just make Halo a shit CoD clone.
Did you even play Reach? Bungie themselves went after COD.

After reading up on the story stuff I'm feeling really good about everything. Not that I ever wasn't. The inclusion of the Covenant made me a bit worried at first, but I'm sure it'll work out.

Yay Halo!

GhaleonEB

Spartan Ops.

I hope it is customizable, but even if it's not as robust in that regard as Reach's Firefight, it sounds like the different missions will already have more variety than Firefight ever offered. Otherwise, I await more details; I'm more interested in that aspect of the game than any other.

I'm pretty delighted with what I've seen so far.

Change is welcome. I'm glad that we can join in progress matches to try and sort quitting.

It sucks that quitting has forced this on us, I'd rather have the same 8-16 people playing the game at the start and the end of a match, but it's a rare thing to see in Halo matchmaking. Even keeping a 4 man Firefight team for a whole match is usually an accomplishment.

For the way I enjoy Halo, random power weapons will be cool and force teams to adjust to changes in the environment. I like it. But I could hear the competitive players shouting about it before I finished reading the bullet point. My fear is that it'll just become another system that pro-players can abuse to make the playing field even more unfair.

I look forward to the co-op campaign stuff, I felt Firefight had to evolve and this sounds like a good move but I don't think the old mode should disappear completely. We'll have to see how it works out.

Excited for Halo 4, roll on E3/September

Spartan Ops.

I hope it is customizable, but even if it's not as robust in that regard as Reach's Firefight, it sounds like the different missions will already have more variety than Firefight ever offered. Otherwise, I await more details; I'm more interested in that aspect of the game than any other.

Agreed.

It's clear everyone here has played Halo 4.

Please post your review scores.

Cashed in my ms check. [X]
Received my press Collectors edition. [X]
Received a coupon for a free xbox 720. [X]

I give Halo 4 a 10/10.
Will not tell about shitty ending where everything was just a bedtime story for a 5 year old.

So Spartan Ops is included in the game price, you get 5 missions per week over several months, and it's a Spartan IV co-op story with cut-scenes?

That sounds brilliant!

Stantron

Spartan Ops sounds great. I imagine they will be able to craft firefight like engagements so I'm not too worried about its exclusion. Hopefully we'll also be able to do some crafting. Spartan Ops + Forge + custom cut scenes + sharable would be awesome.

Demon Ice

Banned
SP and Co op sound great but fuck random weapon drops in MP. Luck should NOT be a factor in multiplayer. It was in Reach with the idiotic bloom, and now it sounds like it will be in 4 with the random drops.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Definitely excited for the single player. Liking what they have revealed so far, really eager to see the new environments.

Recarpo

Spartan Ops.

That part is what I'm most excited for. I'm optimistic and am hoping for the best with everything else, but spartan ops has huge potential to be great.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm sure they wouldn't do straight-up random weapon spawns. They would put a spin on it so that it was actually a worthy addition instead of a PoS idea that only exists to drive away more longtime fans.

I'm sure they wouldn't do straight-up random weapon spawns. They would put a spin on it so that it was actually a worthy addition instead of a PoS idea that only exists to drive away more longtime fans.

I think it's likely a Gears 2 style weapon rotation system.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think 3 wins best SP becuase of the others failings.

Reach didn't have a proper Scarab battle

ODST forced you to play FF in SP. (sticking you in a small area to fight waves of enemies for a set time).

CE has too many flood levels.

and 2... was top to bottom trash.

I like H3 best, but it's not like that's only the case because the others sucked. H3 is a pretty solid game on all accounts. Reach is the game with the firefight in SP more than ODST imo.

I'm excited. Finally 343 has the guts to breath new life into Halo. I cant wait to see more in video action. I love the SP direction and the MP one. A more "random" power weapon spawns means more people will get to use them. That's a good thing. Love the customizable load-outs and that sprint is there by default at all times. Joining when a game is in progress FINALLY! New progress system that sounds a lot more interesting, unlocking weapons, abilities, armor, etc.. I'm loving everything i hear so far. But with no Elites in MP, does this mean no Invasion type modes? That kinda sucks. Otherwise bring it on.

Sounds like this will be the first halo game where I actually care about SP and dislike multiplayer instead of the other way around..I guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'm excited. Finally 343 has the guts to breath new life into Halo. I cant wait to see more in video action. I love the SP direction and the MP one. A more "random" power weapon spawns means more people will get to use them. That's a good thing. Love the customizable load-outs and that sprint is there by default at all times. Joining when a game is in progress FINALLY! New progress system that sounds a lot more interesting, unlocking weapons, abilities, armor, etc.. I'm loving everything i hear so far. But with no Elites in MP, does this mean no Invasion type modes? That kinda sucks. Otherwise bring it on.

Not really directing this at you specifically, but I haven't seen anything "new" so far, except maybe Spartan Ops.

I don't think the bolded is justified, at least in my opinion.

Not really directing this at you specifically, but I haven't seen anything "new" so far, except maybe Spartan Ops.

The fact that people are so up in arms is proof that they're trying new things that Bungie just wasn't doing. And that makes me happy. I like the fact that i can customize my layout as i see fit from primary, secondary to grenades. I was growing tried of the old formula and this is IMO exactly what the game needs. A nice breath of fresh air and new ideas.

dalVlatko

Halo Reach pretty much destroyed my interest in Halo. I went from having thousands of online matches played in 2 and 3 to about 300 in reach.

None of this info is making me want to come back, it is pushing me away actually.

Random weapon drop points seems like it is going to ruin the map control gameplay I loved about Halo and just add more frustration.

There is so much new...that's why some are freaking out--because they don't like some of the new.

Shadowrun is much better than Reach, though.

No doubt, sadly like CoD United Offensive it brought some amazing things to the MP space that no one else wanted to run with. (The cross over to Reach happening due to a lot of the same people moving to Bungie for the project).

I like H3 best, but it's not like that's only the case because the others sucked. H3 is a pretty solid game on all accounts. Reach is the game with the firefight in SP more than ODST imo.

My thoughts on what one is best is based on which one I would most like to play through again.
I'll have to replay it, last time I played it was with my brother so I shows him the highlight reel, and skipped the more arduous missions.

Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.

Thank god. Hated that every game was doing this.

Super sad armor types like camo, jetpacks, etc... are back and Sprint is baseline. Keep that shit out of my Halo games PLEASE! Reach was a pale comparison MP wise.

And please for the love of god give us level variety. I hated Covenant MP levels since Halo 2 pretty much. I miss the look of Halo 1's Covy levels.

cory021

Neo Member
If there's some sort of notification for weapon drops like a beacon that says "Rockets in 15 seconds," or something like that, I wouldn't mind randomly dropping power weapons.

If there's some sort of notification for weapon drops like a beacon that says "Rockets in 15 seconds," or something like that, I wouldn't mind randomly dropping power weapons.

Well that goes without saying. They wont just drop important weapons and not let anyone know about it. That would be completely ridiculous. If they announce the drops, it'll create battles all over the map which to me sounds a lot more fun than crouching near a sniper rifle and waiting a minute for it to re-spawn only to have someone betray you to get it. If thats what people are gonna miss, then good riddance if you ask me.

Reach already has weapon drops in Invasion Slayer and it works fine.

Stat!

Wow, I've never been so dehyped for anything ever.

Some things like adding co-op missions and in-join games? Good ideas.

Taking out Firefight, putting in random weapon respawns, instant respawns after death, just awful decisions.

Keep MP and SP separate. Secondly, add new weapons. Old weapons were great but isn't this a new planet never seen before?

No firefight? Hopefully we get Forge and Replay at least...

My sources are telling me Halo 4 will feature a kid-friendly sidekick for Master Chief. This character has droopy ears and an accent that makes him say things like "Ooh mooey mooey I love you! "

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Another thing I Just realized is that not only did they make it Halo of Duty, but they didn't even bother to come up with their own unique names for features they took straight from Black Ops and Modern Warfare, haha.

Astounding. I want to wake up from this nightmare.

Another thing I Just realized is that not only did they make it Halo of Duty, but they didn't even bother to come up with their own unique names for features they took straight from Black Ops and Modern Warfare, haha.

At the end of the day, some fans are impossible to please regardless of what they do. They want Halo CE, but the same, but better, but different, but the same.

I have faith in 343 after this, now more than ever.

O schweet you already played the game? Can I come over and play it too?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No doubt, sadly like CoD United Offensive it brought some amazing things to the MP space that no one else wanted to run with. (The cross over to Reach happening due to a lot of the same people moving to Bungie for the project).

My thoughts on what one is best is based on which one I would most like to play through again.
I'll have to replay it, last time I played it was with my brother so I shows him the highlight reel, and skipped the more arduous missions.

Reach just felt padded to me. ODST felt kinda barebones in terms of actual story missions, but Reach had multiple "defend this point" objectives.

I'd still like to replay I think. Half the story missions felt padded to me. Like why am I doing some of this crap?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Halo is just a franchise that gives the best reactions on GAF, any bit of news and everyone freaks out, good and bad. I love it.

Halo hype is the gift that keeps on giving.

Poor guy; the only thing that doesn't change is change itself (I agree with the names ((It'll be ok)).

Firefight is absent and it is stated that there are no plans for it to return.

yXSLn.gif

Top Bottom