• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Sean

Banned
I'm gonna assume you've never played more than like 12 games of Halo because these changes pretty much makes it not even Halo any more.

I've played thousands of Halo matches and don't see the problem with these changes (besides random weapon drops, which is not a CoD thing anyway). 343 are making things a bit faster-paced, and also adding features to make it more accessible to new players, but the core gameplay seems intact.

Not necessarily, and especially so for objective games. That respawn timer allows the team that has taken the initiative and decimated the other side to solidify their gains (grab the flag/bomb) etc. And depending upon spawn locations you may end up with those COD situations where you take down an enemy only to have him spawn right behind you a second later.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable about these changes if there was a beta.

The list in the OP makes it seem like instant respawn has only been confirmed for Team Slayer thus far. Maybe the implementation will be absolutely terrible, none of us can say for sure just yet. But keeping the game eventful and reducing frustration by allowing players to get right back in the action is a good thing in theory.

The list in the OP makes it seem like instant respawn has only been confirmed for Team Slayer thus far. Maybe the implementation will be absolutely terrible, none of us can say for sure just yet. But keeping the game eventful and reducing frustration by allowing players to get right back in the action is a good thing in theory.
For non-objective games? Absolutely, and its good to hear some confirmation on that.

But man, being drip fed this info is like torture ;P

Havok

For non-objective games? Absolutely, and its good to hear some confirmation on that.

But man, being drip fed this info is like torture ;P
Even in a Slayer context, whether this is a good thing or not ultimately depends on a huge number of things - shield recharge delay and speed, weapon characteristics at range, map design, and most importantly, the spawn system. Halo has had absolutely awful spawns for a very long time, and unless that gets fixed, then this could be a very frustrating addition.

When you've read all the books, playing the games without sprint and all the Super-man stuff just feels stiff, cold and emotionless. I'm all for sprint and a faster game.

JdFoX187

Banned
Hopefully they don't abandon traditional object game modes like Bungie did with halo 3 and reach.

I like you junior. Objective ultimately became the neglected red-headed stepchild Bungie didn't want anything to do with when Halo 3 released. Hopefully 343i returns Objective back to its Halo 2 glory days.

Some more clarification from Frank about randomness:

I get that people are suprised/shocked by the changes, but let's move on from this way to knee-jerk reaction age please.

So the power weapons might switch every 2 minutes or so to a different, set, weapon. But than that wouldn't be random.

JdFoX187

Banned
Call of Duty made people not care about objective games anymore. :(

Objectives were already terrible in Halo 3 before Modern Warfare hit. Instant-arm Assault, Land Grab, terrible Capture the Flag ideas like no proximity contesting and several other minor changes that added up to a terrible Objectives suite no one wanted to play. Modern Warfare's ultimate popularity was just the nail in the coffin.

So the power weapons might switch every 2 minutes or so to a different, set, weapon. But than that wouldn't be random.

That's the point. They're not "random." It's a terrible way of describing the system by idiot writers.

honestly we should just wait and see if there is a ranking system similar to halo 2 or even halo3. If it is like reach than honestly these changes will not matter because like reach I would not care about my rank.

When you've read all the books, playing the games without sprint and all the Super-man stuff just feels stiff, cold and emotionless. I'm all for sprint and a faster game.

Agreed. Sprint should have been in since the very first game. Spartans should feel like Spartans.

Am I the only one who enjoys Halo regualrly and is fairly receptive to change around here? Haha I kind of felt bad when I didn't mind certain aspects of Reach, and I think I am digging myself deeper. Ah well, Im assuming just as much as anyone, but I bet people will be surprised when they finally get to play this.

I will seriously not even play this if there's no Firefight mode. This became my favorite mode to play with friends and it gave me more joy than anything else, including campaign.

Terrible decision.

As others have said, I bet there will be a wave based/survival Spartans Ops weekly.

I'm sure it is a killstreak reward. I just don't really like that.
Im kinda confused, it is mentioned in the article as an AA, not a reward. As far as I can tell, there aren't any killstreaks in the game. That said, they did mentioned "modifications" and while I obviously don't know what they are, I assume they are things like extra grenades/ammo rather than killstreaks. But hey, who knows.

You assume correctly.
Awesome. =)

dalVlatko

Call of Duty made people not care about objective games anymore. :(
All I play in CoD is Search and Destroy though. :eek:
honestly we should just wait and see if there is a ranking system similar to halo 2 or even halo3. If it is like reach than honestly these changes will not matter because like reach I would not care about my rank.

Bring back Halo 2 ranking system or implement a FIFA like ranking system.

Halo 3's didn't make any sense, Reach's was pointless, and Arena was a mess.

It shouldn't be in any competitive gametypes.

I understand CTF, and stuff like that but I originally said that this was probably just for that particular competitve mode--and I was right. Yay.

But I have yet to hear a convincing argument as to why I have to wait five seconds to spawn again in a big team competitive battle or something that five seconds clearly wouldn't make much of a dent, except alleviate my irritation of always waiting five seconds, of course.

also why are people even upset about anything. There are going to be classic halo playlists. They know some people just like their vanilla halo.

Yes, what Halo games need is more playlist to further split up the community.

what messed up the stuff was all this griftball and playlists that actually overlapped each other. squad and big team is essentially the same thing. If i was 343 there would be about 15 playlists max.

Scapegoat

Spartan Ops sounds awesome! Should be a first step toward matching the Spartan team aspect described in the books. Hopefully they have unique gameplay hooks like the Spec Ops in MW/MW2 and the coop in BF3, and it's not simply a tweaked firefight mode ala Uncharted 2 (run into area defend against X number of waves, run to next area, repeat).

Top Bottom