• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Yeah, based on all the gameplay footage we've seen of 4 you seem to be right.

/sarcasm.

Let's get all the details before the doom and gloom folks.

Well there is no way Halo 4 is going to be more like Halo 3 then Halo : Reach, so it actually is safe to assume it will keep heading in the wrong direction.

matt05891

I really wanted AA's thrown out the window. Jetpack and Armor Lock ruined the experience the others set forth by completely changing the flow of play and the originally implemented dynamic IMO, not to mention getting rid of power-ups in general and exchanging those for AA's. Then completely random weapons? Map control is the biggest element in competitive Halo gameplay. I really hope Frankie can explain this shit in the podcast because this is ridiculous and this is coming from a big Halo fan.

While it's nice still having the 4 player Campaign as well as having Spartan-Op's( which sounds awesome) and neat info on why Blue's and Red's fight. These brief details made my entire hype bubble deflate considerably(Except to see where John's story leads.)

Ramirez

How is this any different than a map like Reflection where people virtually spawn on the rocket launcher anyway? Spawn in the water, walk back three steps, if the rocket launcher's there, it's yours. I do enjoy this myth that power weapons can only be gotten by skill 100% of the time though.

Reflection is a terrible map, but in team games there is no spawn that puts you instantly in the water. Even when the game begins it's completely possible for the bottom spawning team to get to the top and nade the guy before he can even get out of the water tunnel.

I never said power weapons were gotten with skill 100% of the time, but a coordinated team can know when and where they will spawn 100% of the time in ever Halo title to date. Random weapon spawns remove that completely from the game and assure that the weapons will always be attained through complete luck. How anyone can see that as a good thing is beyond me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well there is no way Halo 4 is going to be more like Halo 3 then Halo : Reach, so it actually is safe to assume it will keep heading in the wrong direction.

Don't know that at all. Seems to be a mix of the two so far. Also, it's nice to see Halo changing.

Just funny that people act like someone shot their dog when we have literally no information and even less footage.

Emitan

The best team will be able to adapt and control the power weapons first. The way I see it since it's a random drop (I assume with a strong visual / aural cue ala Reach), it should trigger a rush to control it thus dynamically shifting the action to different parts of the map. The more I think about it the better it sounds.

When nothing is random, everything is equal. The better team will make an equal situation unequal in their favor and work to continue to hold the upper hand.

A random game throws a bunch of unbalanced shit at random and one team wins aided by a random number generator.

One of these modes of play is conducive to good, fair play. One is not. One of these is how Halo has always operated and why everyone loves Halo. The other is not.

Majanew

Banned
Looks like I'll stick to Halo 3 for MP. Maybe 4's MP will surprise me when I pick up the game. We'll see - Reach MP sucks. I don't like armor abilities, but do like sprint being standard now.

finowns

Am I the only one that thinks Halo 2 was the pinnacle with regards to multiplayer?

Big Team Battle on Waterworks was amazing.

Draconian

Until MS pulls the plug for it on XBL, which I have zero doubt will happen within the next two years. That's how those bastards roll.

Xbox Live on the original Xbox was supported until 2010, 5 years after they stopped selling it. The 360 is over 3 times as successful, and you think they're going to cut off Live for it in two years? Or am I being joke trolled here?

When nothing is random, everything is equal. The better team will make an equal situation unequal in their favor and work to continue to hold the upper hand.

A random game throws a bunch of unbalanced shit at random and one team wins aided by a random number generator.

One of these modes of play is conducive to good, fair play. One is not. One of these is how Halo has always operated and why everyone loves Halo. The other is not.

It is only equal in the first minute and a half of the match. Afterwards it's easy pickings.

Am I the only one that thinks Halo 2 was the pinnacle with regards to multiplayer?

Yeah that was amazing. I hope if Microsoft does an hd remake they will include the multiplayer this time unlike halo aniv.

def sim

Grab the bomb, hold the bomb in a hard to get spot, have a nice chat with the team about whatevs until we find an opening.

Somewhere along the lines, we lost that.

GrizzNKev

Banned

Exactly. Halo has been my gaming love because of how incredibly well balanced it was. Every player an equal, with results determined by strategy and skill. Reach took steps away from this, but not too severely. I could deal with that. But this... is this the future of Halo? I really hope not.

It is only equal in the first minute and a half of the match. Afterwards it's easy pickings.
There's usually more than one power weapon on any given map. If your team completely loses every possible attempt at an advantage, it should be hard to recover. You screwed up. Though in Halo you generally don't start off with a terrible weapon either, be it the pistol or BR you had something that is well rounded and can work in every situation while being beaten by the range specialized power weapons.

Updated the OP with a little more info

Anyways, my thoughts about random weapon spawns:
What if power weapons do remain on the map like in previous Halo titles, but with the occasional random weapon drops to mix things up. This is what I imagine is happening, but time will tell.

Also, I assume not every weapon will be available to spawn with, and spawning weapons will be guns like AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc while guns like shotguns and snipers will spawn on the maps. If anyone can spawn with snipers, rockets etc then I am upset, otherwise I like it. Gears 3 handles it pretty well, and I assume that is what Halo 4s system will be similar too, only with CoD style unlocks.

Maybe it will be like this:

-Starting weapons (customizable and unlockable)
-Map weapons (set spawn points and times, guns such as shotgun and sword)
-Random Power Weapon drops (guns such as Rockets, snipers, etc)

Well, that first 90 seconds of vying for the power weapons is good skill vs skill fun. After that, shooting rockets and blasting fools with hammers doesn't take much skill.

In halo 3 you have a chance of escaping the rocket by timing your jumps. In halo reach you have no chane unless of course you use armor lock

Emitan

Well, that first 90 seconds of vying for the power weapons is good skill vs skill fun. After that, shooting rockets and blasting fools with hammers doesn't take much skill.

The game giving you a rocket launcher doesn't take skill either. It's the opposite.

spootime

If you introduce randomness in a shooter it makes it worse. Knowing and defending weapon spawns in a game is a skill. Random drops could lose the "better" team the game because of a lucky drop of rockets. This is lame.

finowns

Grab the bomb, hold the bomb in a hard to get spot, have a nice chat with the team about whatevs until we find an opening.

Somewhere along the lines, we lost that.

CTF was were it was at on Waterworks. Does anyone remember getting the wraith and blocking the front and back entrances with the big boxes so they could only grab the flag by coming through the roof? Halo 2 was soo good.

Updated the OP with a little more info

Anyways, my thoughts about random weapon spawns:
What if power weapons do remain on the map like in previous Halo titles, but with the occasional random weapon drops to mix things up. This is what I imagine is happening, but time will tell.

Also, I assume not every weapon will be available to spawn with, and spawning weapons will be guns like AR, BR, DMR, Carbine, etc while guns like shotguns and snipers will spawn on the maps. If anyone can spawn with snipers, rockets etc then I am upset, otherwise I like it. Gears 3 handles it pretty well, and I assume that is what Halo 4s system will be similar too, only with CoD style unlocks.

Maybe it will be like this:

-Starting weapons (customizable and unlockable)
-Map weapons (set spawn points and times, guns such as shotgun and sword)
-Random Power Weapon drops (guns such as Rockets, snipers, etc)

Are weapons customizable in the campaign too?

Not... Exactly. Unless the weapon drops are somehow deterministic, there's no skill involved in happening to be near where the weapon drops occur. The playing field isn't level, because a team can be granted an advantage or screwed over by a game mechanic that neither team has any control over.

You say that as though the next CoD won't be worse. :p

I think that if there is a short warning period which allows players to know where a drop will be hitting in some area, or if multiple drops occur simultaneously, it will be plenty balanced.

Ramirez

I really don't understand your argument. Why is it only fair for the first round of the power weapons? If the other team gets the rockets, you only get 4, you play it out until the next spawn and then you fight over them again. Camping a power weapon spawn the entire game is a terrible idea and should never actually be successful, so what exactly is the problem here?

And to you guys saying there might be a warning period for a drop, what happens when both teams are on opposite sides, or one team gets spawned at the back of the map, and the game decides to drop the weapon on the other side of the map where the other team is? Sounds fun.

def sim

I can't knock 343 for shaking things up. The Halo formula has had a very devoted fanbase, but it has been shrinking for a while now. Trying something new instead of staying stagnant might be a fun change.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Oh please. I hate how gaming snobs blame COD for every little thing.. as if map control isn't a thing in call of duty. lol.

I might love Halo but I've played my fair share of CoD too. There is no comparison to the concept of map control you're talking about.

Korosenai

I'm glad that no one likes this and is giving 343 and these rumors hell.

Halo is my favorite game series, and none of the stuff on that rumor list looks good at all. This is Halo, not Cod.

This is going to be the best Halo since Halo CE.

Thanks frankie. Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo Reach here all disappointing, but this game is sounding awesome.

daffy

Banned
If you think it is, you're insane. I might love Halo but I've played my fair share of CoD too. There is no comparison to the concept of map control you're talking about.
there certainly is map control in games like Domination where you do have to think about the points you take. just becaise it isnt as strong as in Halo with the weapon spawns doesnt mean anything. Mind telling me how it doesn't exist? But wait, I'm not sure why you bothered responding to an insane person though. Might want to pop your Flintstone vitamins..

Such a shame. Halo was the ONLY reason I would even consider buying MS' next console. IF this is the direction the series is going in then...lol. Fuck you to both MS and 343. Oh, Halo, it's sad to see you in this state.

GrizzNKev

Banned
there certainly is map control in games like Domination where you do have to think about the points you take. just becaise it isnt as strong as in Halo with the weapon spawns doesnt mean anything. Mind telling me how it doesn't exist? But wait, I'm not sure why you bothered responding to an insane person though. Might want to pop your Flintstone vitamins..

Yeah, I edited my post. Sorry about calling you that, I'm just kind of upset over this whole thing. Didn't mean to take it out on you. I still think map control is nearly nonexistant in CoD though.

daffy

Banned
Yeah, I edited my post. Sorry about calling you that, I'm just kind of upset over this whole thing. Didn't mean to take it out on you. I still think map control is nearly nonexistant in CoD though.

Oh... no problem. I don't see how it doesn't exist though. Sure there are people that run all over the map in randoms, but a majority of the team collaborating and holding key points can certainly bring a sizable control of the maps. I learned all about spawn switching and stuff there.

COD though is not some poison infecting the industry. Its made FPS games a lot more accessible if anything, imo.

Khezu

I did kinda find it weird the way he scanned them. I want to believe.

I just can't believe 343 would be stupid enough to make such horrible drastic changes to the game. Plus forerunner vision and spartan ops, those are both comically bad names.

All the info is like specifically designed to troll the shit out of halo fans.

Its probably real though

while I agree that a lot of this is sketchy, why are people talking about join in progress like its a bad thing...its a much needed feature in Halo

I hope 343i stick to their guns with all of these changes.

Man it must suck being a game developer sometimes. Not being able to add something new or change something without upsetting your fans.

I think people should wait to see how the game plays before saying "RIP HALO :(".

GrizzNKev

Banned
while I agree that a lot of this is sketchy, why are people talking about join in progress like its a bad thing...its a much needed feature in Halo

I disagree. As I said before, Halo's multiplayer is great because of how it's balanced. A game, from start to finish, is a closed match of one set of players against the other. You came in with a team, and competed against another team, all the way through. The only way this could be fucked up was with quitters, and there are some pretty harsh penalties in place for habitual quitters.

ehhh sounds like they are trying to merge the COD crowd into the halo mold. I can't really imagine how that could work. So far I can't think of any developer that has chased the COD mechanics and had it work out for them.

Top Bottom