• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

TheOddOne

The story with the flood is tied to the titular Halos, now they have move to a new type of local it's best to leave the flood (and their sucky gameplay) in the first trilogy.
The Flood's origin is mentioned in Cryptum, the CEA: Remake have major flood revelations and furthermore they are a crucial part of the Halo's history — and if we are going to go back trough the backstory, then they sure will make an appearance.

monome

So whether Halo 4 is a strictly Forerunner affair, or we get to fight the Precursor's latest toy.

No way in all the glorious fucking Hell 343i won't code mindless agrressive things that attack you.
Flood is far from perfect, but as far as gameplay is concerned, mawing through them can be exquisite.

they better not fuck with MY Didact.

It is possible the Flood is over, if it was restricted to challenging humanity but the dark dark evil evil new threat ain't the promotheans.

wwm0nkey

So whether Halo 4 is a strictly Forerunner affair, or we get to fight the Precursor's latest toy.

No way in all the glorious fucking Hell 343i won't code mindless agrressive things that attack you.
Flood is far from perfect, but as far as gameplay is concerned, mawing through them can be exquisite.

they better not fuck with MY Didact.

It is possible the Flood is over, if it was restricted to challenging humanity but the dark dark evil evil new threat ain't the promotheans.

We kind of need the Flood in this new trilogy if we want Precursors which will give the Forerunners a reason to fight. Unless the Forerunners and The Didact all turned into major dick heads in the last 100,000 years and just want to kill us.

That or the new threat is something we have little to no idea about.

We kind of need the Flood in this new trilogy if we want Precursors which will give the Forerunners a reason to fight. Unless the Forerunners and The Didact all turned into major dick heads in the last 100,000 years and just want to kill us.

What about that crashed ship in the CE:A terminal that GS seals up? Any ideas if that has some connection?

monome

I supposed we would fight the Master Builder at the end of Halo 4, whose (tragic) story would lead to Prometheans and Humans to fight off the Precursors.

I think adding Forerunners and new things is a big bold step, thus floodifying the Forerunners would strike the middle.

Clearly the Didact does not make for the best villain, but there are stories where the protagonist, whom we follow and start to like, turns side unexpectedly.

But my Didact is too glorious to get mingled with.

EDIT : oh, and what to do with Cortana's ramapncy? it's a major story point, and maybe we'll fight advanced AI that were corrupted. This could lead to the robotic design of the teaser trailer. Replicating body armors that envelop and control other things?
They so much insist on the Chief's taking an emotionnal journey, finding who he is. Maybe introducing other AI, robots etc...will help the story shape up what it means to be human and why it is important.
Will Cortana's fate be knwon at the end of halo 4? I don't want to spend the trilogy fightng for the damsel in distress and wish 343i comes with other dramatic events to spice the story.

Grrrr, me want Didact reveal.

Why do I have feeling that many, who apparently "hate fighting the Flood," are still big fans of zombie shooters, like Left 4 Dead?... Seems like to Halo hivemind to me... and quite Flood-ish.

EDIT : oh, and what to do with Cortana's ramapncy? it's a major story point, and maybe we'll fight advanced AI that were corrupted. This could lead to the robotic design of the teaser trailer. Replicating body armors that envelop and control other things?
They so much insist on the Chief's taking an emotionnal journey, finding who he is. Maybe introducing other AI, robots etc...will help the story shape up what it means to be human and why it is important.
Will Cortana's fate be knwon at the end of halo 4? I don't want to spend the trilogy fightng for the damsel in distress and wish 343i comes with other dramatic events to spice the story.

Grrrr, me want Didact reveal.

I'm thinking of a "transmutation" of sorts,
similar to 343GS's from that other character.

Is that possible? I mean, 343 definitely has had more than a 7 year life span, and has similar roots to Cortana's.

Trying not to spoil anything, too badly.

Either that, or a serious Mendicant Bias-esque betrayal 2/3 of the way through.

monome

I'm thinking of a "transmutation" of sorts,
similar to 343GS's from that other character.

Is that possible? I mean, 343 definitely has had more than a 7 year life span, and has similar roots to Cortana's.

Trying not to spoil anything, too badly.

Either that, or a serious Mendicant Bias-esque betrayal 2/3 of the way through.

Sure sure, 343GS, Mendicant/Offensive Bias, Cortana, Forerunner AI etc...
Shit is gonna get real, but Cortana having her body? not writting for 343i, but it's very cheesy (and I'm french, I know my cheese).

If Cortana keeps on becoming more "human" in her emotions and the Chief keeps on saving her, there is a point at which any girl falls for the guy who supports her so much.

scently

I think the new enemy might be a creation or creation, biological or mechanical/robotic in nature, that were designed as a counter measure to the flood, that is, they were created to eradicate the Flood and, maybe their food source. Sort of like the sentinels in GoO.......or it could be the Prometheans or something totally out of the left field. Anyway I don't think that we will fight the Forerunners, at least not in Halo 4. The reason we will not be fighting the Flood is that Requiem is a Dyson Shell and not a Halo ring, i suspect it's function is not to store or contain the Flood but to protect its inhabitants or it's expected inhabitants as the case may be.

In any case I will expect the Flood in Halo 5 given the incident in Primordium including the small tidbits at the end of the book.

XNarte

Okay, so am I going to have to read the novels to understand this "Didact" that everyone keeps talking about like it's someone I should already know?

I like the extended Halo Universe and how much is there for those who want to delve deeper, but if its not learned in the game its just going to confuse the lesser-than die hard fans of Halo, kind of like when they called Halsey "Mom" in Reach and anyone who doesn't know who she is and how she is related to the Spartan program in the story was just left going, "Wait, what?"

I love the Halo games, but I want to learn about what is going on from within the game, and not have characters and plot points happen that are only important if you read all the novels and comics and even the in game terminals (the story is so fragmented in those that even though those are in-game they are usually hard to follow and collected out of order so you can't really piece those together easily).

That's good, I hope so.

I forget, has Cortana's rampancy been mentioned in any of the games so far?
Not really, but it was heavily hinted at, albeit clumsily, in Halo 3. She seemed fine on the surface at the end but that's more due to poor storytelling on Bungie's part than anything, leaving the books to delve deeper into her current state.

XNarte

Jorge called Halsey Ma'am, not Mom

Oh that's right, he has the weird Reach accent. Still I can see other people misinterpreting that.

And after re-watching that scene from Reach, I think it would lose a lot of meaning if you didn't know who she is, and the game assumes the player knows who she is even though this is the first time she has been mentioned in-game (correct me if I'm wrong, I just can't recall).

monome

That's good, I hope so.

I forget, has Cortana's rampancy been mentioned in any of the games so far?

Come on...

Halo 4 starts :
Cortana :" Wake up John"
Chief : "What's up, I see you been tweaking thoses virtual tits"
Cortana : "Wish I could materialize, huh, Cowboy!?"

Awkward silence

Cortana : "By the way, i'm losing my shit"
Chief : "I wish I could unload, cryosleep kept me hard"
Cortana : "Covies have broken in"
Chief : "This will do".

Cut tot Didact reveal

Cortana : "My signals interpret foreign presences".
Chief : "No shit, see those big techy guys shooting at us, working together and generally looking awesome"
Cortana : "I want pizza".
Chief : "I'll help you Cortana".
Cortana : "th-th-thanks John :)"
Chief : "See the bigger one?"
Cortana : "Hell yeah, hello sexy"

Didact (with obligatory educated black guy voice since he's over 2m tall, think Vador without the airbreather): "the fuck you do here human? and what with the crazy AI, sh's lost it".
Cortana-Chief : "sorry Sir".
Didact : "Don't worry it's your game, i'll just look mean and menacing for one game, my girl will soon appear and make me ashamed at the sight of the sweet violence I unleashed".
Chief - Cortana : "Ok"
Chief : " You, Forunner?"
Didact : "Sure bitch"
Chief : "I've spend 5 years in cryosleep, my dick hurts"
Didact : "i haven't seen my girl in 100 000 years"
Chief : "Want to unload?"
Didact : "you bet"
Chief : "let's do this"

Shooting starts
Cue Cortana getting hot by the sound of the reupting conflict and the fuid movements of all those elite soldiers.

Gui_PT

Oh that's right, he has the weird Reach accent. Still I can see other people misinterpreting that.

And after re-watching that scene from Reach, I think it would lose a lot of meaning if you didn't know who she is, and the game assumes the player knows who she is even though this is the first time she has been mentioned in-game (correct me if I'm wrong, I just can't recall).

I do agree with you though. They introduce characters and elements into the game with no explanation.

But asDax mentioned , Frankie said not to worry about that with Halo 4

monome

héhé.

Never change monome, lol.

I have these bizarre pulp romance books and erotic poems out of the shelve and ready to inspire a precise recount of the Didact and Librarian's last night together.
Out the day the Didact is revealed.

As far as Halo 4 goes, 343i is clearly giving invested fans stuff to digest. And i would prompt anybody barely intersted to try the latest books and fight the terminals of Anniversary on youtube, all those are great.

But yeah, expanded universe is just about feeding the story and fleshing out secondary characters, so no problem in (re)introducing them as we will follow the story through the Chief's eyes and his cryosleep will have cut him out of the action long enough to prompt a lot of unknowns.

Falagard

I do agree with you though. They introduce characters and elements into the game with no explanation.

But asDax mentioned , Frankie said not to worry about that with Halo 4

I believe that the Game Informer article mentioned that there will be a prologue when you start playing Halo 4 that explains things as necessary (story up till now, maybe some additional info).

Yes, Halo Reach was horrible at explaining things like Halsey, etc. I haven't personally read the books (omg rly?) but I knew who she was in general. However, most others did not, and it would have been surprisingly easy to introduce her as the creator of the Spartan II program, etc.

Doffen

Come on...

Halo 4 starts :

Awkward silence

Cut tot Didact reveal

Chief : "No shit, see those big techy guys shooting at us, working together and generally looking awesome"

Didact (with obligatory educated black guy voice since he's over 2m tall, think Vador without the airbreather): "the fuck you do here human? and what with the crazy AI, sh's lost it".
Didact : "Don't worry it's your game, i'll just look mean and menacing for one game, my girl will soon appear and make me ashamed at the sight of the sweet violence I unleashed".

Shooting starts
Cue Cortana getting hot by the sound of the reupting conflict and the fuid movements of all those elite soldiers.

tumblr_luwdljzcGI1qkyzt0o1_250.gif

zlatko

Banned
Come on...

Halo 4 starts :

Awkward silence

Cut tot Didact reveal

Shooting starts

motherofgod.jpg

rififi

Don't know if this has been addressed, but does anyone know if they plan to make the single player longer than past games? I am assuming no, but.

Also, I am really loving the art direction of 4, moreso than the previous games for some reason.

Don't know if this has been addressed, but does anyone know if they plan to make the single player longer than past games? I am assuming no, but.

Also, I am really loving the art direction of 4, moreso than the previous games for some reason.

I'm expecting a decent 7-10 hour run on Heroic first time through.

KageMaru

I think the introduction to this new enemy type on Requiem eliminates the need for the flood, at least for gameplay purposes. In the past, with Halo 1, Bungie described the flood as a way to turn the player's world on it's side after getting used to fighting only the covenant. IIRC Frankie said something similar regarding the new enemy types we're supposed to fight on Requiem. So maybe it'll be a 3 way fight between the Chief, covenant, and new enemy, instead of humans/covenant/flood.

I would imagine the campaign being around ~10-12 hours like past Halo titles. You'll easily get more time out of the campaign if you play it on legendary on your first run. I did that with Reach and my first play through lasted ~16 hours.

Different art director, Kenneth Scott, is probably the reason why.

feel

Come on...

Halo 4 starts :

Awkward silence

Cut tot Didact reveal

Shooting starts
dPfmlggA3my1T.gif

monome

gif me more

Are you trying to silence by inducing epillepsy?!

I wish I could publish Libidium. A short story taking place at thr end of Cryptum. I have some nice ideas.
Or participate to the writting of a spin off.
I definitly have an idea of whzt you encounter in the deep, dark and bushy corners of the galaxy.
Think dirty dozen in Halo Universe.

or some movie titled :
They call it A HOLE
The manipular guide to galactic exstasy
Grunts party
Slipstream, flood control
One night in Infinity
Didact's night

Just a tad disappointed we won't be fighting the flood in some form in Halo 4. But its an ethereal disappointment that'll be gone in moments.

Yeah...

... there. Its gone.

Top Bottom