• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You associated it with Bungie in the case of ODST, I disagree.

You read too much into the statement.

Also, the reason given behind the BR was what I stated as well. In addition to a couple other reason they also said they didn't have enough room for it.

Again, the main purpose behind the post was to point out devs will not always be honest (and some/many get enjoyment out of the process).

You read too much into the statement.

Also, the reason given behind the BR was what I stated as well. In addition to a couple other reason they also said they didn't have enough room for it.

Again, the main purpose behind the post was to point out devs will not always be honest.

I think it has more to do with the game not being final than them not being honest. Which is why they barely give you any info when making the game. If they say anything before the game is finished, people take it as final stuff even when it actually isnt.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I think it has more to do with the game not being final than them not being honest. Which is why they barely give you any info when making the game. If they say anything before the game is finished, people take it as final stuff even when it actually isnt.

It's a combination of both. They can't tell you stuff because it's not final so a combination of denial/omission and sometimes (depending on the person) lies occur.

All of that is kind of a no brainer though, not really sure who you're trying to edify with this post. :p

It's a combination of both. They can't tell you stuff because it's not final so a combination of denial/omission and sometimes (depending on the person) lies occur.

All of that is kind of a no brainer though.

And then theres people like peter molyneux who have good intentions, but consistently bite off more than they can chew. ;)

Forge was confirmed back at HaloFest, there are no further details though. No word on theater, but my guess is it will be in there.

They said something like, the features you know and love like theater/forge would be back too. Im 90% sure i remember them mentioning theater as well at Halo fest.

TheOddOne

They said something like, the features you know and love like theater/forge would be back too. Im 90% sure i remember them mentioning theater as well at Halo fest.
Yeah, but Forge was the thing that was outright said to be there. Not going to confirm stuff after they specifically say it, my thought was that Firefight would be coming back but it didn't.

Yeah, but Forge was the thing that was outright said to be there. Not going to confirm stuff after they specifically say it, my thought was that Firefight would be coming back but it didn't.

Well either way, id be shocked if it didnt return. Firefight isnt back true, but it is kinda being replaced by Spartan Ops, so it isnt GONE gone. I dont think theyd just remove theater and not replace it considering their using the Reach engine and its already done for that game...

I don't understand how Bungie lied about the BR for ODST. Bertone didn't like the weapon so it was removed.

Edit: Bungie lied about there being bigger battles in Reach though.

TheOddOne

Well either way, id be shocked if it didnt return. Firefight isnt back true, but it is kinda being replaced by Spartan Ops, so it isnt GONE gone. I dont think theyd just remove theater and not replace it considering their using the Reach engine and its already done for that game...
I just confirm stuff that has been said from the source. These things go rampant, best to have something to land on then just speculation and "it's been in every game so far".

wwm0nkey

I don't understand how Bungie lied about the BR for ODST. Bertone didn't like the weapon so it was removed.

Edit: Bungie lied about there being bigger battles in Reach though.

Bungie lied about the Scarab chase scene in Halo 3 as well, though I do think that was actually cut.

Happy Bungie is not talking about Destiny.

Bungie lied about the Scarab chase scene in Halo 3 as well, though I do think that was actually cut.

Everyone forgets that all through Halo 2 they said development was going great.... then when promoting Halo 3 they said they basically had to throw Halo 2 away and start again halfway through.

danwarb

Just thinking aloud:

Didn't Bungie say that they couldn't do native 720p because of their HDR lighting model?

Wondering what the compromise is going to be - guess they simply changed the lighting system.... or?
That was a change for Reach. All else is not always equal though, and improvements could be made across the board.

Petrichor

:'(

warthog_concepts.jpg

I think it was in EGM? In some magazine they mentioned there was a scene in the game where a scarab will chase you through the forest and actively searches you out.

seems pretty flimsy "evidence" that bungie "lied".

Anyways I'm sure all devs can be said to lie if you comb every one of their interviews about a given game.

wwm0nkey

seems pretty flimsy "evidence" that bungie "lied".

Anyways I'm sure all devs can be said to lie if you comb every one of their interviews about a given game.

I wouldnt really consider it a "lie" more of cut content. I think I still have the issue laying around though but I vividly remember that in either EGM or something.

No bigger lie then the awesome e3 2003 halo 2 demo.
Lie is a bit harsh. They had to dump most of what they made. It wasn't so much a lie as icarus flying towards the sun.
They also had a strict MS ship date on their heads.
kz2 2005?

anyways, you talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOyeyV0mowM

i dont know, thats what xbox halo looks like in my mind...can people point out to me where it looks way better?
No pop-in? :p. Mechanically (melee combos) and tone wise it ended up quite different.
Hell, even the legendary "Bet you can't stick it" never made it in the game.
Aren't all Halo Xboxs ugly as shit?
Reach one wasn't spectular, but it was fine.

Everyone forgets that all through Halo 2 they said development was going great.... then when promoting Halo 3 they said they basically had to throw Halo 2 away and start again halfway through.

it was well before Halo 3's promotion. On the bonus disc that came with Halo 2 CE they talk about having to start over because the xbox couldn't actually do what they were trying in that demo. That demo is infinitely more ambitious then anything we got in Halo 2

it was well before Halo 3's promotion. On the bonus disc that came with Halo 2 CE they talk about having to start over because the xbox couldn't actually do what they were trying in that demo. That demo is infinitely more ambitious then anything we got in Halo 2
Ambitious in what way? If we're talking the moment-to-moment events shown in the demo, I'm glad Bungie didn't go that route. That demo was scripted to hell and back and Halo is not a scripted shooter. People want cool moments in games and that's a lot harder to do in a sandbox shooter.

danwarb

Bungie didn't really lie. Things just didn't turn out as originally planned, Halo 2 e3 wasn't a "target render".

Playing ODST over system link and the patchy fade-in is exaggerated on here. I've seen it once so far on a distant sign. Draw distance is not great with split-screen play in 3 and ODST, otherwise it's enormous.

Petrichor

I think the only people who know the true story behind halo 2 are those who bought the limited edition.

Didn't they get to a point, shortly after faking the E3 demo, where they scrapped everything they had so far and started again completely? And that's the reason why they ended up cutting so much content.

Halo 2 development really was a clusterfuck, but I did find bungie's (admittedly delayed) honesty regarding the whole fiasco refreshing. Wish we'd had as much insight into H3 and HR.

TheOddOne

Credit to PREMIUM QUALITY for finding this.

Halo 4 preview, with our first glimpse into return of Master Chief
This new game will still feel like a Halo game — that's the benefit of having some Bungie vets on the 250-strong development team — but 343 Industries will put its own spin on things. Franchise director Frank O'Connor, who's worked on the series since Halo 2, promises that this game will have a more "visceral" feel and a deeper level of immersion.

343 Industries showed off only a snippet of gameplay this week, but O'Connor's edicts are noticeable even in this brief playtime.

The difference between Halo 4 and Halo Reach (the final Bungie title) is stark. Halo 4 will take place on a far darker color palette, and it will feature the most robust engine in the series' long history. At its core, the new engine is built from the template that Bungie created in Reach, but many things have been redone "from the ground up," O'Connor says, and plenty of new code has been written.

343 Industries will usher in the next level of Halo titles with a darker game. It's evident in these early moments, and O'Connor says it will be seen throughout. While the Chief will eventually wind up on the planet below (Requiem), much of the game will play out on the Forever Unto Dawn, O'Connor says.

Other details are also improved, subtly deepening the gameplay experience. Dash down a hall (yes, there's a dash button now) and you will hear the Chief panting in his helmet. Weapons, which once had a distinctly sci-fi sound, now fire with stronger audio impact; your rocket launcher's missiles finally reverberate, and even your rifle shots have a greater amount of pop. Both weapons were fare more satisfying, although I didn't fire — or even see — a Needler.

The entire game has visuals that rival — perhaps even exceed — the vast abilities of EA's Frostbite 2 engine.

"Reach looked really good, but we've had the benefit of hindsight, and the benefit of time," O'Connor says. "We had a little bit of luxury in that we weren't churning through consecutive game project after consecutive game project. We had about a year to just do some prototyping. And it's really paid off well."

Despite that, there will be no 3D or Kinect feature set.

O'Connor says the team found that far more players engage in campaign aspects of a shooter over competitive ones. So 343 goes through great pains to generate a stronger "campaign" effect throughout its Spartan Ops and Infinity Change modes.

Both modes will have story elements that tie it back to the main game, but, unlike EA Games' poor decisions in the Mass Effect coda (and that company's cheap cash-grab of a move to add a beautiful but sloppy iPad game that tied back "war assets" to the main title), Halo 4's multiplayer modes seem far more pure.

"Each of the aspects — Spartan Ops, Campaign, and War Games — got equal weight, so it can all play a role," he says.

Every mode in Halo 4 has some story element. War Games, which will include all your standard competitive multiplayer modes, operates on the premise that the Spartans amongst themselves, skirmishing on a battleship as they prepare for battle.

Spartan Ops is even more ambitious, a full cooperative multiplayer experience that promises to be an ultra-deep campaign in its own right, with its own deep story. Each week, O'Connor says, 343 will release a new chapter in the Spartan Ops saga. The entire collection of "episodes," each complete with their own cutscenes, will function as a package, it will help to bridge the gap between Halo 4 and the inevitable Halo 5.

O'Connor says the entire package will be playable solo. But it's meant to be played with up to four-player coop. Even better, O'Connor says, 343 is committed to making the entire first season of Spartan Ops a completely free experience.

"The Spartan Ops is all included in the price of the game, at least for the first season," he says. "Obviously, if we make more seasons, we'll have to figure out a way that makes business sense.

"When we announced Spartan Ops a lot of people were waiting for that ball to drop, but it's all part of the package."

"We're really happy with the way it looks," O'Connor says. "And the level you saw is one of the more sterile. It starts to look grander and grander as you get deeper into the game.

I would love if the snow hog made an appearance in Halo 4.

I would just like to say that if MS announce a Halo 4 edition 360 console, I am going to cum so hard my neighbours will drown.

That is all.
Disturbing, but true.

Halo 4 will take place on a far darker color palette

-_-
Eh, that may mean the colors are richer and more dramatic, it doesn't mean muted. So far Halo 4 seems to have a richer pallet than Reach, but time will tell. Plus, some areas in Reach looked fantastic.

HoodWinked

halo 4 timing couldn't be any better.

with cod franchise while still ridiculously popular i think this is the year that begins to show significant fatigue, if MS positions itself correctly with marketing they might be able to pull some cod players over.

Top Bottom