• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Person Shooter Family Tree Construction

Mabase

A few questions to the knowledgable:

1. Who did Mouselook first? I always thought it was Quake 1, but never played Marathon or that Terminator game..

2. Has the gameplay balance of Halo's trinity of Guns->Melee->Grenades been implemented in a similar way in other games?

3. What abot Citizen Kabuto? Assymetrical multiplayer and open,large scale worlds... a first?

Very cool thread!

nkarafo

I also point out turok all the time was another game that encouraged the standard layout for most fps games before it became popular.
That's correct. Turok was the first console FPS i played where you didn't use shoulder buttons to strafe. You had the D-Pad/C-Buttons for movement/strafe and the analog for aiming. It was the console equivalent to WASD and mouse.

Goldeneye offered the same options (among others) but they evolved it by letting you use 2 analog sticks (by holding 2 pads) so you could also have analog movement/strafe. Like modern shooters today!

You know, i think with Goldeneye there was a missed opportunity... nobody saw it's huge success coming so nobody bothered to make a dual analog controller to properly support its dual analog options. They could even make bundles too, an optional Goldeneye/controller pack, in the same way they sold Starfox with the rumble pack. In the end Goldeneye became the first FPS having dual analog controls but with no proper controller to support them and because of that most people don't even know/remember about its dual analog options.

atr0cious

A few questions to the knowledgable:

2. Has the gameplay balance of Halo's trinity of Guns->Melee->Grenades been implemented in a similar way in other games?

MoH:AA is what you're looking for. The guns for each side have their own balances, while pistol clubbing is a must when you run out of ammo. And no game has better grenade physics than MoH:AA, and I'll fight to the death for it. They even have mods so they trail smoke for practicing your bounces. It's beautiful.

kamspy

Well I just suggested the idea. I don't really have any rules in mind for how anyone would want to structure it.

But, for me it's not who technically implemented a feature first. But rather, who did it first, right. That little snap-to auto aim on console COD is another big thing imo. I'm pretty sure Halo kinda paved the way with the magnet reticule action, but I think the LT to snap-to is brilliant.

Quality controller auto aim is one of the most underrated features in all of gaming. It's an art. Bungie were so damn good at it and W&Z kinda took it to the next level. I can't imagine that tank having much gas left based on history though. Carmack's been flapping around since Quake 3 (although I think that's a symptom of his ambitions being elsewhere). Epic is absent. Cliffy knows he wants to make an awesome PC shooter but I don't think he has his concept yet. He just knows he wants one.

Orayn

Where does Return to Castle Wolfenstein fit into this? We need to include it for the sake of Enemy Territory, which gets us Quake Wars and Brink. Birnk, I feel, is a non-trivial influence on Titanfall due to the parkour and the way it merges story with multiplayer gameplay.

Also, we might want to find a spot for Shadowrun 2007, probably as a descendent of Halo.

DocSeuss

Here's a couple of the discussion branches on the tree.

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1KgYEVUDmDXJwooSw7GDzK6MzKr1SrDyp690fTaT2TQg/edit?usp=sharing

dl4e9dd.jpg

We have a 3d renaissance, modern, and arena breakdowns.

ARMA comes from Operation Flashpoint. Bohemia Interactive/Codemasters struggle going on there.

I'd argue that Medal of Honor did not come from Goldeneye, but from Half-Life, even though it's a console series--back then, computer games got some pretty hefty billing, and the scripted sequences of Half-Life were a huge inspiration.

Where does Return to Castle Wolfenstein fit into this? We need to include it for the sake of Enemy Territory, which gets us Quake Wars and Brink. Birnk, I feel, is a non-trivial influence on Titanfall due to the parkour and the way it merges story with multiplayer gameplay.

Also, we might want to find a spot for Shadowrun 2007, probably as a descendent of Halo.

RTCW kinda came out of a vacuum (Grey Matter Interactive, as Xatrix, had done a Quake II expansion pack and Kingpin: Life of Crime). It's a weird hybrid of Half-Life and Doom. It's also in the pic in the post I quoted above.

I think the Brink>Titanfall connection is somewhat tenuous.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Going from Tribes, could include the Planetside series (from large player count FPS to really large player counts and persistent battles)

Mman235

I think the original Playstation Medal of Honor came out a bit too soon after Half-Life for too much inspiration from it to seep in, so I can see Goldeneye being a bigger influence. Allied Assault is really obviously inspired by HL though.

mkenyon

Banned

It's a child of Team Fortress and SoF 2, I'd say. At least Enemy Territory.
Going from Tribes, could include the Planetside series (from large player count FPS to really large player counts and persistent battles)
Ehhhh, I'd say Planetside came more from the ideas that WWII Online stirred up. Gameplay-wise, Tribes and Planetside are hugely divergent.

majik13

Battlefield Bad Company 2 had fully destructible maps. I can't think of any other modern FPS that offers this (you suck so bad at life EA). I'd lean toward the MOH:AA family tree, but the map size and destruction kinda spin it off. If DICE had ran with the idea of destructible environments I think they'd have the next ring in the family tree. Shame they abandoned it.

I am confused by this. As far as I know they have not abandoned destructible environments. Yes BC2 had more collapsible builders per say, but it also had a few that could not be collapsed/fully destroyed, just like the recent battlefield games. To their credit, the BF3/4 have more variety in their buildings/level design. I just wish some of the micro destruction didnt regen in BF4.

Even though BF has taken destruction to a great level, I think that Red Faction on the PS2 was the first to really do destructable environments as far as I know,and they did it really, really well, better than most games nowadays. I remeber we used to make our own tunnels and caves,basically building new maps.

Inspired by this thread and the family tree chart, I've been dabbling a few days with making a somewhat different flowchart, mainly listing FPS (and related) games by year and diving them by genres or types. Mind you, it's very much a work in progress, some important games are probably missing, genres might be rearranged, everything's subject to change but I think it's good enough for a start.

Link to the huge ass image:

And here's the Google Docs link, feel free to comment and give suggestions. You can even modify the flowchart but if you do, please add your reasoning.
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1vPCg56I_56jBBJvEnKpTYXYQSksejK0s9EB9l-N2CcA/edit

I'm aware it looks a bit too complicated and not user friendly now but in its finished state it might at least serve as a helpful tool in making a more simplified and clear chart.

There are a few things I'd like to clear up in regards to my reasoning for arranging the genres/types this way. Also I'm not really sure how to define certain types and how to organize them, so some games and genres might be more scattered than they should be. Here goes:

- I still haven't made the actual connections between branches except of a few examples, just to try if it would work in this kind of flowchart. Something like brightly colored lines with colors assigned for every genre would make it more useful to see the connections in the big picture.

- Certain genres didn't necessarily exist in their clearly defined form we have today, especially in the earlier years of video games so the lines might be blurry at some points. For example, I decided to add full blown RPGs like Wizardry and Dungeon Master just because they introduced a first person perspective. As years go by, RPGs introduce realtime combat or just realtime movement and eventually start to blend into something (like Corporation) that is first person, has shooting instead of hack & slashing (for the most part) and has enough RPG mechanics such as body slots for gear, experience and stats to be called something in the vein of Role Playing First Person Shooter. Some games may have less of these RPG aspects but are still more complex than Doom and its derivatives. Mind you, Skyrim doesn't fit in here since the flowchart tries to concentrate on the FPS lineage of games.

- I tried to stick to an older approach to genres, since the flowchart spans the complete history of FPS, that's why there's an "Adventure FPS" branch that has Driller, The Colony, Marathon and Half-Life under one branch and then it continues to evolve into FPS games that usually have more advanced objectives (instead of just clear a room, unlock a door) and mechanics, yet not as advanced as, say System Shock 2 that has stat points, grid-based inventory etc. so it's placed in the FPRPG branch. Not sure Halo really fits in here as well as some other games but as I said, it's all subject to change.

- Still not sure about the "Arcade" branch as it is now. It's very important as the FPS roots are firmly tied to games like Battlezone and Star Wars and there's a whole bunch of games like Starglider or even Magic Carpet that have this vehicle controlling, arcadey shooting core gameplay.

- This whole flowchart used to be a lot more packed with not so important or well known games but it was just a clusterfuck so I had to clear it up a bit. Space trading, space sim (just shooters), mech and other vehicle sims were all under one branch so I had to separate them which might've made the whole thing more crowded, not sure. I think adding some textual list of other good examples in that genre can easily be added later.

- Named the most commonly FPS defined games as "Classic FPS" for now. A lot of post Marathon games were all in the Classic branch but as years go by I felt that there was a more clear distinction that most FPS games evolved into story driven experiences (going into the Adventure branch) with a vast mix of mechanics that became commonplace. On the other hand there are still some more "simple" games that stay very similar to their maze and Doom roots so that branch goes strong over the years. I might be completely wrong about this but it seemed to me as a good enough distinction into two separate branches so it wouldn't become even more complicated.

- When I say "post Marathon", it doesn't necessarily mean its definitively determined that Marathon is the crucial branching point (well it might, in that case), just that there's more in-depth research to be done for me to even debate around these points. There are games (again, like Marathon) that I haven't even played or haven't played in years so I've forgotten certain important gameplay elements. I'm sure there are people here that are much more informed and about these matters.

- I guess the multiplayer centric branch is pretty debatable as it is now, just added the MP-only games and the ones that are important to the genre. Not sure about Call of Duty or Halo since they are extremely important to MP but are also SP heavy for the most part, so maybe add connecting lines from those games, don't know yet. Again, a lot of games are probably missing from this and other branches, it's all WIP.

- Didn't know where to put Mirror's Edge. It's obviously very important in terms of first person movement, incorporating Prince of Persia moves into FPS and evolving into Brink, Dying Light and Titanfall.

- There are also some debatable branches like Horror, Stealth and Strategy, some games might blend too much with other genres etc. Still, I just added these now so I haven't had time to research a bit deeper into what's out there.

- There are branches I know very little about, like Hunting or even Tactical so feel free to name everything you think is important to each genre. Also, there's stuff like Vietcong and SW: Republic Commando under Tactical and while you can't really compare them to stuff like SWAT, they do share certain roots and mechanics that aren't present in other games. I'd rather consider Republic Commando as a dumbed down SWAT than a thinking man's Call of Duty. But still, debatable.

I'm probably forgetting a ton of things but I wanted to release this into the wild. Google Drawings is a pain to work with such a large chart but it's great for on the fly changes and collaborating. I might consider to do the whole thing over in Photoshop or something if it turns out to be a useful chart in the end. Not sure if there's some good software to make this into a colorful, infographics like chart?

I've also been making a list of FPS mechanics and elements as besada recommended, so adding icons representing these elements on top of the name boxes could make an even more useful list, showing first and most important occurrences of key gameplay mechanics, but I guess it's still too early for that.

Hopefully, we can at least make a chart that'll be useful to anyone wanting to do research into FPS games.

Coreda

Mighty effort there ichtyander. I like the order by year, makes it easier to track when the games were released.

Would be sweet to have an online hierarchical visualization tool where data could be entered and then a frontend could display the data with nodes of interesting info appearing on hover/click. Something similar to RAW or Arbor.js but designed around the family tree model.

Mighty effort there ichtyander. I like the order by year, makes it easier to track when the games were released.

Would be sweet to have an online hierarchical visualization tool where data could be entered and then a frontend could display the data with nodes of interesting info appearing on hover/click. Something similar to RAW or Arbor.js but designed around the family tree model.

Thanks. Yeah, even having some filter checkboxes to dynamically isolate games by theme, gameplay mechanics etc. would be extremely useful. An interactive chart would definitely be the goal for this kind of thing.

This is kinda not in-topic, but it's related to FPS anyway, so I'd thought I ask since I don't have any meaty content to start a topic inquring on this line of questioning...

Are there any FPS games that are truly emulating how 'in-real-life-first-person-view' actually is?

Because all FPS games, are basically this:

BheRXyACAAABxYF.jpg

When I look around with the camera, I can never get the same sense of body that one gets with a natural body. Why can't I see my shoulders? Why can't changing weapons feel natural, like you're actually keeping your weapon away to take something else?

I have been wanting for FPS games to feel closer to how seeing from your eye actually is, but it seems like everyone's comfortable with the overall design approach.

There's also this:

26322.jpg

Although Doom might even have the most realistic look if you imagine holding the gun with two hands, slightly lowered and closer to your chest.

Yeah, there are some games that include full body awareness with having a 3d model of your character, like in Mirror's Edge for example. Although, a lot of those games still place the weapon/hand model in an awkward position that's depicted in that pic. There are games like Operation Flashpoint/Arma that depict a more realistic first person look. The earliest example I can recall right now is Trespasser: Jurassic Park which even had a physics model and a complicated system of moving and rotating your hand to pick up and use objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CEXrADdXqM

It's interesting that the advance of VR might force everyone to adapt a more realistic body awareness system if it proves to become a big thing. Although I haven't tried the Rift myself, I can imagine the standard weapon placement being awkward and I've heard a few people in different videos praising games that include full body awareness, realtime character shadows etc. as it greatly improves the sense of presence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_OwoVevr0g

There are more and more real life first person videos popping out as technology becomes more compact so some of them may show a clearer picture of how it looks like to mount a camera on your head and start shooting around. It might not be 100% the same as natural eyesight but it's something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKQrjJyqpRU

I believe it can be very good if done right, but I'm kind of conflicted about it right now. The obvious problem is the shakiness and sluggishness of the player's movement and his weapon. Also, in real life, when you hold a weapon, it's much easier to know what you're holding (sense of touch, quick eye, limb and head coordination, memory, the situation that's led you to holding a weapon etc.), you don't need a "glance button" or something of the sort. Depending on the weapon and the player's stance, there are a lot of instances where you can't really see your weapon at all so it all adds up to the lack of immediacy a fixed-in-space weapon model has. I think these are all solvable problems, but any dev is more likely to concentrate on the ease of use and comfort for the player instead of realism, which is kind of understandable. And even so, not every game strives for realism. It's kind of similar to 80's and 90's action movies, Schwarzenegger didn't hold his heavy machineguns realistically, he held them like that so he looks cool.

Top Bottom