• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First picture of superman…

OverHeat

« generous god »
IyqC2Uj.jpeg

AJUMP23

Gold Member
For some reason, they're terrified of Superman looking too human and realistically proportioned.

Despite the fact that Reeves is still the best by a wide margin.

Christopher reeve actually acted and demonstrated Clark Kent with his posture and the way he spoke. There was a real difference from when he was Kent to when he was Supes.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Crazy how badly they've been floundering after getting it perfect the first time.

He's an invulnerable alien god from another world AND a Kansas farm boy. He doesn't need a suit that is in any way armoured, padded, or otherwise augmented, beyond being a simple cloth suit. It's the actor underneath that's meant to portray the power.

Snyder got it wrong. This gets it wrong.

Donner got it one hundred percent right.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
He's an invulnerable alien god from another world AND a Kansas farm boy. He doesn't need a suit that is in any way armoured, padded, or otherwise augmented, beyond being a simple cloth suit. It's the actor underneath that's meant to portray the power.

In general I agree with you but a single monochromatic cloth looks bad on screen, some texture or color variation is nice visually, though these "tech suit" designs are going overboard.

It's a tough call, unless you vacuum seal a SHREDDED actor into latex you won't get that comic book look without resorting to a muscle suit, but then the actor looks bloated and slow, like batman or captain america.

I would like to see more suit damage and ripping (probably harder to match with CG) and a return to a more svelte aesthetic, especially if the actor is juicing as that really goofs their face as well. Arnie did it but it was YEARS of discipline, these PEDed 6 month boot camp guys aren't doing it for mass.

SJRB

Gold Member

New Superman suit looks like he's wearing a fucking biker jacket.

So dumb.

Not really, no. The whole point of the character is that he's invulnerable because of Earth's sun. No amount of armour or protection is needed, whoever the villain is.
What about outside of Earth and the villains who have beaten him into a pulp even when he had the sun on his side?

That’s why I asked the former question.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
What about outside of Earth and the villains who have beaten him into a pulp even when he had the sun on his side?

That’s why I asked the former question.

Erm... any armour wouldn't have helped him, if they're powerful enough to beat an invulnerable super human to shit.

Erm... any armour wouldn't have helped him, if they're powerful enough to beat an invulnerable super human to shit.
In the media where it happens, a point is made that there can always be someone stronger. So even the strongest man alive might need a slight boost to win a bout.

Again, this is why I asked the first question. I don’t want to make assumptions but I have a feeling you’re describing a specific version of Superman and painting with broad brush strokes over other versions of him.

This is why I like manga better sometimes, because most of them don’t suffer from multiple versions and editions of a character. Naruto is just Naruto and not ‘this Naruto on this author’s run’.

FeralEcho

Since it seems you're bored out of your mind and you're not in a hurry to save the world Clark maybe wash that fucking suit for once.

Seriously, they actually thought that was a good shot?

Last edited:

FeralEcho

New Batsignal in the back looks dope.

Seriously, this is how you announce a picture of new Superman: Everybody will talk about it. A standard hero pose won´t do it anymore.
Standard hero poses are boring but Superman taking his time putting his shoes on while a giant laser kills thousands of people somehow makes more sense to you?
Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

The only thing people will talk about is how crappy and low budget that suit looks,how disinterested the actor looks,how the scene makes no sense as he should be rushing to save everyone etc.

There's no redeeming quality in that picture.

As many have said,it looks A.I. generated and not the good kind.

Trunx81

Standard hero poses are boring but Superman taking his time putting his shoes on while a giant laser kills thousands of people somehow makes more sense to you?
Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

The only thing people will talk about is how crappy and low budget that suit looks,how disinterested the actor looks,how the scene makes no sense as he should be rushing to save everyone etc.

There's no redeeming quality in that picture.

As many have said,it looks A.I. generated and not the good kind.
It’s perfect for this generation.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Absolutely!! And on top of that, he was the best version of Clark Kent by leaps and bounds.
He did make you believe that a pair of glasses, a bit of slouching, and some clumsy mannerisms could totally fool people that he wasn't Superman.

Having Lois be a totally self absorbed narcissist helped as well.

Top Bottom