• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First placeholder price for Nintendo Switch - $329CAD (~$245 USD)

CD'S BAR

Cavaliersand Cubs won a championship, Brexit, Trump... this is a time when anything can happen and this shit is going to be $249.99 just you watch.

antibolo

Banned
$250 US price seems just right.

Make it more expensive and it won't be competitive.

Make it less expensive and it will end up with unappealing shit specs.

Let's turn that on its head... I have a theory that the Switch was built to serve Japanese interests first. Handheld gaming is much stronger over there, so the flexibility of the Switch is ideal to Japan. Having the "guarantee" of strong Japanese sales, with no real competitor, means a strong sales base even before western sales come into play. This is better displayed in the 3DS' >60 million units sold.

So, if the Switch builds up appreciable sales in Japan (which is more likely than not) that alone can translate into a far larger worldwide userbase than the Wii U, and a larger userbase means more support which in turn reinforces value in the west.

Basically, I think the Switch's hybrid concept is built for Japan first because that sales momentum will prevent it from being another Wii U, even if it doesn't hit 3DS levels (which it absolutely still could, no way to know yet).

I agree with that theory to a point. Japan is kind of a trap. It's tastes are so different than the rest of the world that the more you target that market, the more you alienate the larger worldwide market. The Switch makes perfect sense for Japan where the handheld mostly is the main console. With no competition from the console market in Japan, the Switch is all upside. They get a more console like handheld experience and can switch to true console type play if they want to.

The problem comes from markets with a strong console user base. There the Switch is inferior to those consoles in the home and is not likely to have much 3rd party support, yet doesn't cost appreciably less . If someone in that market is looking to get their first 8th gen console this Christmas now that the prices have dropped below $300, the Switch doesn't look like such a good deal.

Then for the mobile market there could potentially be problems due to its larger size making it less portable, and battery life being less due to being more powerful. If someone is already carrying a larger sized phone which have caught on more now, how willing are they to want to carry around an ever larger dedicated gaming device? I can see it for specific occasions where you know you'll have a lot of down time, but I don't see it being a normal habit.

All of these issues come about because of the Switch's need to make compromises in order to work as a hybrid device. In markets like Japan that are primed to want a hybrid device, the Switch should do well because it is perfectly aligned with their needs. On the other hand, in markets that have distinct console and handheld markets, the Switch won't compare favorably to dedicated devices in those markets.

Finally, I don't see the Switch as a Wii U replacement. I see it as a 3DS replacement. It's a mobile device that can send its display to the TV screen. However, if you want to view it as taking over both markets, then it would have to do the sales of both markets combined. Is anyone predicting that the Switch will do the sales of 3DS + Wii U? If not, then viewing the Switch as the next 3DS only makes more sense.

NolbertoS

I think that will be close to the actual price. Gaming consoles here are about $100 more than US MSRP. So for 329.99 sounds about between $230-250 US. I'll see if Best Buy Canada has a placeholder price too.

Laura Kate Dale got some information from some source for pricing of the switch in UK, but she's verifying it first before she officially posts anything..

A whole lot of your posts sounds like... you want it to be a different thing than it is. It's not a console that is a portable and not a portable that can be a console. It's both, and people are going to be drawn to it being both, not one or another. Yes, it can cater to the handheld market and console market all at once, but the catch is that you can have both experiences. Expecting it to be $200 as it's highest price and not some kind of miracle is just really weird

It's not about what I want it to be. It is about the markets that already exist. There are a ton of gamers who just want a home console. The hybrid market is the new concept and has not been proven to exist. We also have evidence in the GamePad and Kinect that gamers are unwilling to pay extra for console experiences outside of the core expectations when they are mandatory parts of the base price.

I have no idea what the price of a console only version of the Switch would cost. I do know that a Switch without the small form factor, screen, and battery would cost less than a Switch with them. So it is a valid assumption that if the hybrid Switch is going for $249, a console only version would be $199. It is also a valid assumption that a $199 home console would sell a lot better than a $249 one. If it makes you feel better, you can bump all price estimates up $50 and note that my conclusions not only still stand, but get stronger due to competition from the XB1 and PS4.

That's a nice price

I will take it at $249 gladly and buy a pro controller, zelda, mario, and an micro SD card along with it so it should be around $399 when all said and done.

I think by placing it at $249, Nintendo could aim to make less of a profit on the first year in exchange for more sales and a more steady race to the bottom, not having to devalue it so much or AS much. A $249 basic unit price in a holiday would surely include a game, which would place the system at a $200 value. That is REALLY attractive in November and Nintendo can get away with it for 2 or 3 years, without PS4 and Xbox bundles impacting that much due to the Switch portable differentiation.

BUT

I think the market can hold up to $299. I guess it depends on how they can market it. So far it's been getting a great response and the first year lineup should be excellent, so they could place it at $279 or even $299 to get a little bit of breathing room when it comes to sales and price discounts. The market will tell, but I don't see much wrong with both strategies. People expecting the switch at $199, get fucking real. That is like $179 of 3DS launch year's dollars. It's not happening. Buy it used if you are so cheap

It's not about what I want it to be. It is about the markets that already exist. There are a ton of gamers who just want a home console. The hybrid market is the new concept and has not been proven to exist. We also have evidence in the GamePad and Kinect that gamers are unwilling to pay extra for console experiences outside of the core expectations when they are mandatory parts of the base price.

I have no idea what the price of a console only version of the Switch would cost. I do know that a Switch without the small form factor, screen, and battery would cost less than a Switch with them. So it is a valid assumption that if the hybrid Switch is going for $249, a console only version would be $199. It is also a valid assumption that a $199 home console would sell a lot better than a $249 one. If it makes you feel better, you can bump all price estimates up $50 and note that my conclusions not only still stand, but get stronger due to competition from the XB1 and PS4.

Nintendo is not making a console-only version of the Switch any time soon. This is just a pipe-dream. The switch is not a console or a portable. It's both. It's trying to open a new segment in the market, and trying to apply home console or portable only economics to it is risky. BUT you are kind of right. The best analysis I could think of, is comparing it to the Nvidia Shield which runs for $199. That plus a $49 for Nintendo brand is an EXCELLENT value proposition. Even $89 is good value (What I would pay for a generic hardware to play nintendo games) at this point, if the first year lineup is stellar which we have every reason to believe it is.

Taker666

$249 is decent..but as has been said, $199 would be the sweet spot if you want to attract both the handheld market and people who would buy it as a second home console.

It's ok saying it "does both"..but the number of people who want both are a niche of a niche. It's only good value at $250 if you intended to buy both handheld and home devices. If you only want one or the other then there is no added value in having a device that does both...so the price should be set at a level to attract each individual market.

antibolo

Banned
Nintendo wants the Switch to be a social console you can bring anywhere for instant multiplayer, even without a TV to connect it to. It's the natural evolution of the mentality behind the N64 having built-in 4 controller ports and no loading times, in an era where 2 ports and slow-ass CDs were the norm.

Being a hybrid is a big part of its very existence.

Maybe they will succeed, maybe they will fail. Time will tell. But if you're arguing about a home console-only version you are very much missing the point of what they are trying to achieve.

It's fun that each new nintendo hardware pricing thread bring the same "I won't buy it unless it's less than $99" people.

Ho wait, no, it's just sad.

It's already got shit specs.

Of course, it's not worth more than $12 I would say. I mean, Isn't it a kiddy underpowered gimmicky hardware with no third party support and only nintendo games that are all the same Mario and zelda rehashes?
edit : aaaaand sorry for the DP

Peru

It's ok saying it "does both"..but the number of people who want both are a niche of a niche. It's only good value at $250 if you intended to buy both handheld and home devices. If you only want one or the other then there is no added value in having a device that does both...so the price should be set at a level to attract each individual market.

I don't think it's a niche of a niche, it's a combination of two niches - console Nintendo fans and handheld Nintendo fans - and thus appealing to twice as big a market. People who only bought a 3DS last generation most likely didn't have an active aversion towards the Wii U or the idea of playing games on their HD TV - they made a decision that they could afford a handheld and its software but not both. Now they get both for the price of one and could probably add 50 dollars for that experience.

I'll go to bat here, before this thing launches and before we know the software lineup, so I can be held responsible for my prediction: This thing will appeal to a lot of people. It will sell out for the launch window and continue to be a hot item for its first year. And I think it will at least sell as much as the 3DS + Wii U combined.

It's a totally different product, but the NES classic mini proves one thing: People will buy specialized hardware if it has the right 'air' to it. In the face of doom n gloom predictions about dedicated hardware people are lining up for a new box that has a very limited use.

Nintendo is not making a console-only version of the Switch any time soon. This is just a pipe-dream. The switch is not a console or a portable. It's both. It's trying to open a new segment in the market, and trying to apply home console or portable only economics to it is risky. BUT you are kind of right. The best analysis I could think of, is comparing it to the Nvidia Shield which runs for $199. That plus a $49 for Nintendo brand is an EXCELLENT value proposition. Even $89 is good value (What I would pay for a generic hardware to play nintendo games) at this point, if the first year lineup is stellar which we have every reason to believe it is.
Umm...The Nvidia Shield isn't exactly a huge success which suggest that it is overpriced. Using you own calculations would prove that the Switch would do little better than the Shield since you say they are equivalent. The Switch is better, but it costs more to offset that.

I never said that Nintendo was making a console-only Switch. I said they SHOULD make a console-only Switch. However your protests to the contrary don't change my argument. I'd like to see anybody try to argue that a ~$50 less console wouldn't sell more that a more expensive version that adds only mobility that few would use. I've repeatedly pointed out without pushback that there are already two examples, Kinect & gamepad, that prove that gamers aren't interested in mandatory extras that increase the base cost of the console. The Switch is just another bite at that rotten apple.

Kebiinu

Banned
I love how people froth at the mouth when it comes to Nintendo. It's like they HAVE to fail, because there's just no way y'all can live with it otherwise.

Wish I was browsing GAF when the Wii was dominating, the salt must have been incredible.

On topic; $250 would be the most epic price point. I was already talking to my brother and a friend about how I would gift them one. I'd squeeze the trigger for $300, but something tells me Nintendo knows what they're doing this time.

Also, lol @ that shitty specs drive-by post.

It seems like almost every hardware reveal results in a lot of people over estimate cost.

$250 is about right and I could see it being lower, it definitely shouldn't be priced higher unless there's a bundle involved. Nintendo needs a home run after the Wii U debacle and they should definitely go as aggressive as they can without the hardware being a loss leader instead of aiming for higher margins. Yeah I know, they have billions in the "bank" but I doubt shareholders would be too excited if the Switch performs like the Wii U or the 3DS before the early price cut. Pricing it low enough also opens the door to making people more willing to upgrade the tablet without much hesitation when Switch 2.0 comes out in a couple years or so later.

Umm...The Nvidia Shield isn't exactly a huge success which suggest that it is overpriced. Using you own calculations would prove that the Switch would do little better than the Shield since you say they are equivalent. The Switch is better, but it costs more to offset that.

I never said that Nintendo was making a console-only Switch. I said they SHOULD make a console-only Switch. However your protests to the contrary don't change my argument. I'd like to see anybody try to argue that a ~$50 less console wouldn't sell more that a more expensive version that adds only mobility that few would use. I've repeatedly pointed out without pushback that there are already two examples, Kinect & gamepad, that prove that gamers aren't interested in mandatory extras that increase the base cost of the console. The Switch is just another bite at that rotten apple.

To the first point, I'd argue that a large part of why the Shield did so poorly has more to do with marketing and software than hardware. It's a GREAT little device, but consumer awareness about the product is nonexistant, it's poorly marketed, its software lineup is uninspiring, and it generally doesn't do a lot to justify its own existence. Given that the Switch has already been clear in its marketing, comes from an existing major player in the console market, and will have heavy exclusive software support from Nintendo... I just don't think it's a fair comparison.

Now, as to the second point? Idunno. We may never really know, because while it's totally feasible (maybe even likely) for Nintendo to release the same exact board in a PSTV like box down the road for a cheaper price, the Switch itself came first. I would personally argue that the Switch's guaranteed sales in Japan would probably outperform a Nintendo "microconsole" in the west. That's based more on a gut feeling than anything, and I could absolutely be wrong.

EDIT: For what it's worth, while we argue about this here, I've actually seen a pretty significant amount of interest in the Switch among gamers who didn't own a Wii U or a 3DS, for a variety of different reasons. Some fighting game enthusiasts excited about the focus on esports, some Playstation/Xbox fans who are extremely interested in Switch as a secondary console, a LOT of PC gamers who dig it... I think you overthink how people perceive the hybrid concept, I haven't heard any of these gamers compare it to the Kinect (as an example).

I love how people froth at the mouth when it comes to Nintendo. It's like they HAVE to fail, because there's just no way y'all can live with it otherwise.
It's not that Nintendo has to fail with consoles. It's that they have been failing since the announcement of the Wii U. If you have argued anything other than that since then, you've just been wrong. The people who have defended everything Nintendo has done in hardware console space are the ones you should be worried about frothing at the mouth.

Btw, same thing with the Xbox One, although the Slim might have turned that around. We'll have to wait until Sony has their full lineup out to be sure. I was a huge Xbox fan and anti-PlayStation until the start of this gen when Xbox screwed up royally and PlayStation got its act together. Been calling it that way ever since, not because I'm a fanboy, but because that's how it is.

Stulaw

I don't understand why people think the Joy Con Grip won't be a part of the package, it's in the main image and is the first thing you see being played with in the trailer.

This price would be good value for what you get, and great value if you get some sort of pack in game which is almost a guaruntee given Nintendo's packed something in with the Wii (Wii Sports) 3DS (AR games and cards) and the Wii U (Nintendo Land).

Will probably be about £230 in the UK if this ends up being true.

Not a great price. Ideally they should be trying to get it out even lower.

Anything above that is kind of delusional considering the position Nintendo is in.

They'll completely give up on the shrinking handheld market at $250 or above.

And they won't gain much traction with folks interested in home consoles considering they can get beefier consoles with more games for a few dollars more. Consoles that are guaranteed to have a steady stream of games for years to come.

Unless Nintendo has some yet unrevealed revolutionary gimmick up their sleeve $299 to #350 usd ($400 to $475 cad) is just too crazy to even consider. Who would that even appeal to other then die hard amiibo collectors?

I don't understand why people think the Joy Con Grip won't be a part of the package, it's in the main image and is the first thing you see being played with in the trailer.

You know, I didn't really think about that, but there is a strong point to be made that it's a major part of the very first scenario of the reveal.

I mean, it COULD have just been there because it's the easiest way to showcase the idea of "play at home with standard controller type controls, then click on and take with you", but even that being the case it DOES set the expectation that the grip will come with, because it isn't until later in the trailer that you see that the joycons can be used on their own.

To the first point, I'd argue that a large part of why the Shield did so poorly has more to do with marketing and software than hardware. It's a GREAT little device, but consumer awareness about the product is nonexistant, it's poorly marketed, its software lineup is uninspiring, and it generally doesn't do a lot to justify its own existence. Given that the Switch has already been clear in its marketing, comes from an existing major player in the console market, and will have heavy exclusive software support from Nintendo... I just don't think it's a fair comparison.
I only expanded on the comparison you gave. I personally didn't think it was an appropriate comparison, and do believe the Switch will do much better than the Shield. I was just pointing out that if you are trying to defend the Switch by comparing it to the Shield, you are not helping your case.

Now, as to the second point? Idunno. We may never really know, because while it's totally feasible (maybe even likely) for Nintendo to release the same exact board in a PSTV like box down the road for a cheaper price, the Switch itself came first. I would personally argue that the Switch's guaranteed sales in Japan would probably outperform a Nintendo "microconsole" in the west. That's based more on a gut feeling than anything, and I could absolutely be wrong.

EDIT: For what it's worth, while we argue about this here, I've actually seen a pretty significant amount of interest in the Switch among gamers who didn't own a Wii U or a 3DS, for a variety of different reasons. Some fighting game enthusiasts excited about the focus on esports, some Playstation/Xbox fans who are extremely interested in Switch as a secondary console, a LOT of PC gamers who dig it... I think you overthink how people perceive the hybrid concept, I haven't heard any of these gamers compare it to the Kinect (as an example).
If you think it is likely that Nintendo will release a reduced cost PSTV like device in the future, that kind of proves that you think that there is an untapped market there. If there weren't then Nintendo would not make a product for it.

Btw, I'm not saying that the Switch will fail. I view it as a successor to the 3DS and will likely improve on those sales a bit. What I'm saying is that the Switch as a home console is a poor idea and that as far as revenue goes, the Switch < 3DS + Wii U. If you are intent on viewing the Switch as a hybrid, then you have to compare it to console and handheld sales combined.

However, outside of Japan I don't think that is how most people will view the Switch. They'll view it as a handheld or console replacement, and compare it to the products already in those categories. This is how I view that breakdown working out.

Switch as handheld: Fine, although I think in the long term, dedicated handhelds will lose to mobile phones
Switch as console: Failure

Zalman

LPVG is reporting it will be priced at £199.99 (£249.99 for "deluxe" version with more memory + game).

If converted to USD, that would be around $249.99 for the basic SKU and $299.99 for the premium one.

LPVG is reporting it will be priced at £199.99 (£249.99 for "deluxe" version with more memory + game).

If converted to USD, that would be around $249.99 for the basic SKU and $299.99 for the premium one.

Now what is the difference between the 2 SKUs?
I mean, how much more memory will it have? Which game?

Depending on the answer, it could be a great price. It is the most reasonable one in any case imo.

Zedark

Nice, her supporting this rumoured price gives it much more credence. I am definitely getting the Switch for €250,-. I hope the premium model will pack a decent game, and not some throwaway tiny game not worth the €50 price hike.

Yup, agree with everything here.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

For me, $50 more for more memory and a game sounds like a no-brainer. Very curious what the pack-in game would be. My best guesses would be the Switch equivalent of Wii Sports/Nintendo Land, one of the Wii U ports (maybe Mario Kart?), or Super Mario Switch (if they're feeling crazy and the recent rumors are true).

Rubixcuba

Banned
For me, $50 more for more memory and a game sounds like a no-brainer. Very curious what the pack-in game would be. My best guesses would be the Switch equivalent of Wii Sports/Nintendo Land, one of the Wii U ports (maybe Mario Kart?), or Super Mario Switch (if they're feeling crazy and the recent rumors are true).
Zelda would be obvious pack in no?

I only expanded on the comparison you gave. I personally didn't think it was an appropriate comparison, and do believe the Switch will do much better than the Shield. I was just pointing out that if you are trying to defend the Switch by comparing it to the Shield, you are not helping your case.

If you think it is likely that Nintendo will release a reduced cost PSTV like device in the future, that kind of proves that you think that there is an untapped market there. If there weren't then Nintendo would not make a product for it.

You may want to check usernames, you were responding to BronzeWolf in reference to the Shield, I haven't had much to say about it.

And... yeah, I do think there's a market for a Switch microconsole... much like there was a market for the PSTV, or maybe more appropriately the 2DS. I don't think it's as large as the market for the initial product, for reasons that I already stated, but I also never said they wouldn't. My position is just that the Switch absolutely makes sense on its own as a product, whether or not a microconsole is coming down the line, and that as it stands it should neither be judged solely as a handheld nor as a console, because the point of the product is that it has the featureset of both.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The discussion about a "console-only" Switch is as useful and productive as the discussion about a gamepad-less Wii U. My feeling is that also the result will be the same. Nintendo will rather launch a revision of the Switch as it is and/or a handheld only SKU than that. The costs and the potential marketing clusterfuck are just not worthy for that very little market.

But, yeah. Don't stop dreaming. It's telling when the support for this overlaps in parts with the support for Polaris super console before the Switch announcement.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda would be obvious pack in no?

If Zelda is ready at launch, then yeah, swap my Mario suggestion for Zelda. I wrote that while thinking about the rumor that Mario might be ready for launch and the suggestion that Zelda might not be. Then again, my concerns would be Zelda will sell on its own, is likely single-player (so not great for showing off the system to friends and word-of-mouth advertising like Wii Sports), and not as accessible as Mario. But if the more expensive model is the "Pro" edition, then I think Zelda could make sense.

It has to be cheap. The only market Nintendo can realistically appeal to other than the Nintendo minority is handheld gamers. Which is primarily children. They've given up on the home console market.

sanstesy

If Nintendo pack in a game at launch, it will be a game people don't solely buy the console for; that is not a new Zelda, a new Mario and so on. Think more of the Wii U remasters or a new IP showcasing the two JoyCon controller set-up.

Robin64

This would be good. I'd definitely pop the extra £50 down for the deluxe one, too, as that's kind of what I expected anyway.

The discussion about a "console-only" Switch is as useful and productive as the discussion about a gamepad-less Wii U. My feeling is that also the result will be the same. Nintendo will rather launch a revision of the Switch as it is and/or a handheld only SKU than that. The costs and the potential marketing clusterfuck are just not worthy for that very little market.

But, yeah. Don't stop dreaming. It's telling when the support for this overlaps in parts with the support for Polaris super console before the Switch announcement.

I think the possibility is there, but the realistic expectation is that IF SUCH A THING WERE TO OCCUR it would not be some more powerful SKU, but rather a budget SKU several years down the road that is literally the same hardware in a home box, a la PSTV. People who want a Nintendo Playstation Scorpio are going to be dreaming until the end of time, because that is literally never coming.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Ill be more than happy if i can get Switch and Zelda BotW for less than 300.

Purest 78

You can't take it on the go, or play Nintendo ips

And you said it, for black Friday only

Can't believe people are saying 250 is too much, it's absolutely ridiculous.

PS and Xbox are the go to Console For Multiplats and exclusives. Even if The switch has 3rd party support X1 and ps4 at $300 will destroy it. So I absolutely agree For mass market Success The Switch has to be $200.

Top Bottom