• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First screenshots for Capcom's Breath of Fire 6 [Up: Full Details In OP]

Hollow

zySN12q.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Hahahahahahhahahahajajajjajaja

Hahahahhahahahhajahajhaha

This is the sector they are investing their MH4 profits in...

Let that sink in for a moment

Capcpom is run by a bunch of pencil pushing, fuckwit investors nowadays, so it makes sense I suppose. And when they're not making any money off of any of this and when they finally shat on the last fanbase for one of their franchises, you'll see the demise of one of gaming's once greatest.

At least the remnants of it already started other companies. Mikami, Inafune, Platinum Games, I'll support those guys for as long as I can.

Square Enix and Capcom are just killing me with these mobile efforts

The drop in quality and the greedy chase for those high margin returns is sickening.

Do game creators literally no longer want to make awesome games anymore in that space?

Shengar

Any hopes that this will be a more traditional sort of BoF game but on mobile and PC goes right out of the window with the preview.

- No "complex command menus" for combat
- "Fast and intuitive" touch controls
- You create a character and control him in realtime, there are AI-driven party members
- Timing based combo attacks

:(
Is there anybody actually hope this game will be decent? I mean, seriously?
It doesn't just look like a mobile/social game, but as a cheap one as well.
Look at them all MH4 money goes to
lol Capcom making the right investment
Its almost a deliberate slap to the face for fans

Then again do people in Japan still hold a special place in their hearts for Breath of Fire like we do?
In the original announcement, I believe someone posted reaction from Japanese netizen and most of them act like Gaf as well: upset, feel betrayed, angry, and lot of salt.
Puzzles and Dragons is literally ruining gaming

regardless of whether its an actually decent game or not

Now everyone has dollar signs in their eyes. Maybe Ebert was right to denounce games as an art form

Japan is certainly straying far away from that level of quality...

Surprisingly, P&D is actually a well designed game
It is the other publisher who try to claim the share of the pie without originality that turned to situation even more sour
And you don't need mobage to dennounce video game as an art medium
As long as most avid gamers said "it just video game lol" it wouldn't be art

vareon

Looks so generic...

I still can't believe that Capcom is releasing a main Breath Of Fire on mobile.

Releasing a mainline on mobile is one thing.
Releasing a mainline as a monetization-driven, generic looking game that looks like any other game on mobile is another.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This is how you piss on fans. I wonder what exec though this would be a good idea. This is one of those times where I hope a game absolutely fails. Good job, Capcom.

I don't even mind that it's a mobile release. A turn based RPG can work quite well with a touch screen. This just doesn't look or play anything remotely like a breath of fire game.

Edit: It also clearly has very little effort put into it. It's strange these companies seem to want to chase the F2P money on smartphones but don't want to invest anything into doing so. If there is so much money to be made you would think they wouldn't have to cheap out so much. If there isn't much money to be made i don't understand why they're doing it in the first place.

I guess they just want to throw out some cheap no risk piece of shit and see if it does any good, not much risk involved (except pissing off their fanbase).

Any hopes that this will be a more traditional sort of BoF game but on mobile and PC goes right out of the window with the preview.

- No "complex command menus" for combat
- "Fast and intuitive" touch controls
- You create a character and control him in realtime, there are AI-driven party members
- Timing based combo attacks

:(

I feel like turning into a dragon fuelled by the rage those screens are making me feel.

I need to contain this rage .

vareon

I'm pretty sure Nirolak or duckroll can create a bingo of what "mechanics" are present in the game and they'd hit Bingo right away.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I love how capcom exists solely to troll GAF at this point.

It makes no sense whatsoever to label this Breath of Fire 6. The target audience for these types of games likely have never played a BoF game in the first place. Hell, many probably have never even heard of the series before. It's not like the BoF series was ever a blockbuster brand. So it's not like the average mobile user is going to be buying this because of the title.

And I have a hard time believing any BoF fan is actually going to buy this thing just because it's called Breath of Fire 6. So branding this game the way they did seems to completely defy logic. It's not going to bring in extra sales, as least not in any significant way, and if anything it's going to cost them even more goodwill from their older customers.

I don't like a lot of the decisions video game companies are making these days, but I at least understand them at a financial level. This, however, baffles me.

Yuterald

The fact that they're calling this Breath of Fire 6 is what bothers me the most. Just call it something else or if you HAVE to brand it with the BoF signature then AT LEAST give it a sub-title, not a mainlined number entry. Ugh.

It makes no sense whatsoever to label this Breath of Fire 6. The target audience for these types of games likely have never played a BoF game in the first place. Hell, many probably have never even heard of the series before. It's not like the BoF series was ever a blockbuster brand. So it's not like the average mobile user is going to be buying this because of the title.

And I have a hard time believing any BoF fan is actually going to buy this thing just because it's called Breath of Fire 6. So branding this game the way they did seems to completely defy logic. It's not going to bring in extra sales, as least not in any significant way, and if anything it's going to cost them even more goodwill from their older customers.

I don't like a lot of the decisions video game companies are making these days, but I at least understand them at a financial level. This, however, baffles me.

Baffles me too

I would love to hear their excuse for greenlighting this one. Its clearly out of the hands of the creators at this point.

Who were the BOF devs and what happened to them?

Goli

I was making a thread for this but I see duckroll beat me to it lol, I was gonna post this in the OP but since it´s too late now I'll post it here:
Inside Games' report has a few tidbits:
-The game will have a deep storyline and a rich world, as you'd expect from a numbered entry.
-The battle system is simple and easy to play since it gets rid of complicated commands, however, the battle system is still very deep.
-The basis of the battle system is using the skills you have along with the ones of your "fellows" (the other AI controlled party members) in quick succession to create combos.
-The terrain you do battle in apparently also factors in your strategy somehow.
-The main character in BoF6 has the "Power of the Dragon", and you can customize it by changing sex, face, hairstyle and such.
-Character growth is different from the previous entries, here the abilities and the "memorized skills" (actually I'm not sure what this is, maybe there's a Master system or something in place? 覚えるスキル) have special traits in them, presumably stat boosts and such.
-Fellows can be either humans, fairies, felines or "grassrunners" (this is how the humans with animal features like Momo have been called in localized BoF games)
-The online component revolves around rebuilding Dragnir Village, which was destroyed by the Schwarz Empire. Each player can rebuild it as s/he sees fits, but there's also a cooperative element to it where you can travel to other players' villages and help them out by intercepting attacking enemies.

Story:
Over a thousand years have passed since the battle of the young boy who held the power of the dragon.

Surviving the desertification of the world, people strongly hope for a new age.
Though they carry a seemingly peaceful life, behind the scenes the Schwarz Empire has been taking over small countries one after another.
The main character living in a small peaceful village is suddenly attacked by the Schwarz Empire, unable to escape...

Schwarz Empire:
Originally a small country located in the northern side of the continent, by using ancient weapons and the Power of the Black Dragon they gained an overwhelming military advantage and conquered many countries in a few years.

Dragnir Village:
One of the remaining villages that follow the "legend/tradition of the dragon" (or something like that)
This is where the main character lives before being destroyed by the Schwarz Empire.

Vice Kingdom:
Dragnir Village's neighbor kingdom, also follows the legend/tradition of the dragon.
At war with the Schwarz Empire.

Early Dawn Forest:
A forest that mysteriously survived the desertification of the world.
The legend says these are the grounds where the dragon resides.

Nina:
A descendant of the people who danced in the heavens.
After the destruction of Windia she set out on a journey.

Peridot:
A girl with gorgeous green hair.
She encountered and helped the wounded main character per chance after coming across Dragnir Village just as it was being attacked.

I was a huge breath of fire fan. First we didn't get last ranker in the us, and now this.

¿How does Capcom hurts worse than SquareEnix?

Those of us that grew up during the 16bit-32bit days must be the most reviled people

I can't think of any reason why they shit on us so often.

WTF Capcom/SE

Sojiro

Remember when Breath Of Fire looks like this?
Mkn3iQ5.jpg

You know I actually just started playing through Dragon Quarter again recently since I never completed it a long time ago, having a ton of fun with it again and hope to actually finish it this time. I didn't have much hope of BoF 6 turning out good, but I was hopeful that I was just being pessimistic, but yeah, thats pretty painful looking already. I think i'll just go back to playing the older versions and pretend a new one was never announced.

Dark_castle

Edit it for what?

You should stop backseat modding.

Just speaking out of experience. The mods aren't happy with users straight up complain about certain game platforms, unless you do it in a subtle manner or sarcastic remarks, or complain indirectly about something else, like towards Capcom rather than smartphones.

I really do hope this bombs. I honestly and truly do.

Every so often Capcom does something right, like reviving Fighting games with SF4 and MvC3. They haven't mishandled the Resident Evil or Monster Hunter series' too badly either.

But then they do shit like this.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just speaking out of experience. The mods aren't happy with users straight up complain about certain game platforms, unless you do it in a subtle manner or sarcastic remarks, or complain indirectly about something else, like towards Capcom rather than smartphones.

My comment still stands, you should stop backseat modding.

Yeah pretty sure I was banned for this reason

And honestly its not like its the fault of the platform.

This is nothing more than the result of some very low denominator work. I almost feel bad for the guys that are forced to work on this

Dr. Buni

Generic anime nonsense, not supporting this crap.
It is not like the past games weren't generic anime nonsense. They just had a decent art style (unlike this one) and well, they were actually games (but still generic). Anyway, I wonder why Capcom likes to shit on the head of fans of their franchises so much? First Mega Man, then Resident Evil, now Breath of Fire, not to mention forgotten IPs like Dino Crisis and Onimusha. Seriously, what is next? Street Fighter?

Top Bottom