• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(First?) Shots of Sonic Unleashed

Teknoman

Good lord some of the people who post at 1up are lame.

" B.T.W.
Author: Bengosha, 03/23/2008

Now that I've seen the video, it doesn't look legit. This is perpendiculous!
Author: Bengosha, 03/23/2008

They cant really expect people to still care about these shity sonic games. Sorry to be so harsh, but christ! Who cares anymore, Let the poor animal die.
He's tired of running."

Baryn

Banned
This is going to be the game Sonic 2K6 was supposed to be.

I'm hyped guys, I'M HYPED BLARGYBLARGYBLARGYBLARGYBLARGY

edit: Please give me game modes with shitty friends and virtual pet, after 20 hours of Sonic gameplay. I like the SA1 fishing.

Kydd BlaZe

Baryn said:
Please give me game modes with shitty friends and virtual pet, after 20 hours of Sonic gameplay. I like the SA1 fishing.

Lol, I actually enjoyed those virtual pet segments of Sonic Adventure. I hope they find their way back into Unleashed. I was hoping that Sega would bring them over to Sonic 2K6.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
That's it, in preparation for this game I'm gonna play some more Sonic Rush and force myself to like it.

Helzown said:
Ugh... fuck. I always ridicule people who get excited for Sonic games, yet here I am... interest piqued.

Well I must say this is the first Sonic game I've been hyped about since Sonic Adventure. I don't care to admit, though, that I had a lot of fun with Secret Rings. It was broken -- oh hell, was it broken -- but I still felt enough of the game was fun enough, especially when you get the controls down to a fine art. In the end I thought it was a pretty awesome game.

Ydahs

BradVanDam said:
im so freaking excited Sega is Back

Dreamcast 2 BELIEVE
gafcenawhat.gif

wow, 3d enviroments with 2.5d gameplay?

that sounds amazing...

at first sight it looks like capcom is publishing, judging by the new direction.

i hope it lives up to the expectations. i really lovED sonic.

For those that don't like the idea of this possibly being similar to the Rush games, consider that if this does become successful it'll at the very least show Sega that 2D Sonic games can still sell on consoles. So eventually they might do one that's closer to the Genesis Sonic's.

Helzown

brandonh83 said:
Well I must say this is the first Sonic game I've been hyped about since Sonic Adventure. I don't care to admit, though, that I had a lot of fun with Secret Rings. It was broken -- oh hell, was it broken -- but I still felt enough of the game was fun enough, especially when you get the controls down to a fine art. In the end I thought it was a pretty awesome game.

I agree about Secret Rings. But I wasn't hyped for it, I was just pleasantly surprised. I found it frustrating, but very enjoyable.

The hype, though. The hype is what breaks gamers.

A new Sonic?! Oh... fuck.
A newer Sonic? With more playable characters?!!! Oh... FOR FUCK SAKES.
A next-gen sonic with more realistic character models?! Ok, that was never appealing.
A next-gen sonic with fast-paced 2.5D gameplay and what looks to be everything that old-school Sonic fans have been clamouring for?!??!!! Imagine the disappointment that awaits...

RagnarokX

SolidSnakex said:
For those that don't like the idea of this possibly being similar to the Rush games, consider that if this does become successful it'll at the very least show Sega that 2D Sonic games can still sell on consoles. So eventually they might do one that's closer to the Genesis Sonic's.
But what's wrong with the series isn't necessarily the third dimension, as every 2D game they have made since S3&K hasn't gotten the formula right either. And if this game doesn't get the formula right, but is successful, Sega would be more likely to just make more games just like it rather than improve it.

stilgar

Neo Child said:
omg it looks like sega brought sonic BACK TO HIS ROOTS.

SONICS BACK.

I know that will be wrong. 2.5D isn't the key for "back to basics awesomeness", as 90-60-90 doesn't imply the girl will be cute.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I think this game looks absolutely great and it sure as hell will be a day one title for me. I'd prefer a different Sonic game in the same vein for the Wii actually because it's more fun to play through 2 different games than to play through the same game on two different consoles...

Vorador

Banned
Well, it looks like it can become a good game. I will keep an eye onto this. But i will keep my hopes low...i don't really trust sega for Sonic games anymore :(

SpokkX

this actually doesn´t look bad

... but I am willing to bet Big the fat Cat or Shadow the shotgun-hog is just waiting to be revealed :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SpokkX said:
this actually doesn´t look bad

... but I am willing to bet Big the fat Cat or Shadow the shotgun-hog is just waiting to be revealed :(
Let's be honest here, Big the Cat has not been a playable character since Sonic Adventure 1. Do you REALLY think they'd bring him back in this game? No chance in hell.

Now, other shitty friends could very well show up, but the playstyle used for Big the Cat was something that fit in with Sonic Adventure (in their minds, anyways). It wouldn't work here.

They ALMOST got it right with Sonic 06. The three playable characters were all pretty decent in that they focused on moving through levels in a classic fashion rather than the kind of shit you found in the Adventure games. Shadow may have used a couple vehicles in Sonic 06, but usage was extremely rare and weapons were not present.

zigg

Sega1991 said:
You know what I realized?

This may just be the first canonical 3D Sonic game in nearly 8 years that you won't be able to describe as "It's like Sonic Adventure, but..."

"It's like Sonic Rush, but..."

dark10x

Oh yeah, he was in Sonic Heroes, but he was tied to a group (rather than acting as a stand alone character). I suppose that other shot is the new RPG?

OK, so he has not been used as a standalone character since Adventure. Most people hated the fishing style of gameplay used in SA1 and that certainly isn't going to make a return here.

Back on the new game, I know it's early, but the framerate is so low in that video. I hope they are aiming for 60 fps. Despite the fact that it was rushed and broken, Sonic 06 at least managed to run at 60 fps (90% of the time, anyways). Of course, I suppose framerate is one of the last things we should be worried about...but still, it makes a big difference.

MeowMeow

Banned
Dear God,

Please bless thy sega, and giveth them power and wisdom to thy development team to not fuck up Sonic Unleashed.

Amen,
Sega Fan.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Somewhere, someone at Sega is sat reading this thread with a maniacal glint in his eyes, stroking his werewolf plush, and with a Sonic Team cup at the ready to drink your bitter tears in the coming weeks and months ...

Oneself

Well... it looks awesome on video. If they keep it like this (2.5D from left to right or front to back... like Crash Bandicoot) it could be the first Sonic game I buy since Sonic & Knuckles :lol

So is this game set in Mobius? Is Robotnik still called Eggman?

Will there be humans in it. Will Sonic have sex with any of them?

I see there is a Sonic werewolf character, so there will be a Twilight Zone for you to explore right?

Jasper

WOW.... So the trailer says the game is for the PS3/360, and not PS3/360/Wii!

So though Sonic Wii outsold both Sonic PS3 & 360, and Nintendo allowed Sega's mascot to be in what will be one of the biggest games ever on the Wii (Super Smash Bros Brawl), Sega decide to screw Nintendo & stick Sonic on the PS3 & 360.

If I were Nintendo, I would be pissed & feeling used! What was the use of putting Sonic in Smash, if Sega were really planning to release their Sonic game on the two consoles other than the Wii???

Strange....sneaky...and once again, a stupid business decision!

Jasper said:
WOW.... So the trailer says the game is for the PS3/360!

So though Sonic Wii outsold both Sonic PS3/360, and Nintendo allowed Sega's mascot to be in what will be one of the biggest games ever on the Wii (Super Smash Bros Brawl), Sega decide to screw Nintendo & stick Sonic on the PS3/360.

If I were Ninendo, I would be pissed & feeling used! What was the use of putting Sonic in Smash, if Sega were really planning to release their Sonic game on the two consoles other than the Wii???

sega is a muliplattform dev until 9/9/9

Jammy

Banned
Jasper said:
WOW.... So the trailer says the game is for the PS3/360!

So though Sonic Wii outsold both Sonic PS3/360, and Nintendo allowed Sega's mascot to be in what will be one of the biggest games ever on the Wii (Super Smash Bros Brawl), Sega decide to screw Nintendo & stick Sonic on the PS3/360.

If I were Ninendo, I would be pissed & feeling used! What was the use of putting Sonic in Smash, if Sega were really planning to release their Sonic game on the two consoles other than the Wii???

Um... Sega's biggest successes by far are on the Wii/DS, and I'm sure they know that. Everything from Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic being in SSBB, Sonic Chronicles, etc. are all huge for that company. I'm sure they're also making something big for Wii as we speak, if it isn't this game.

Jasper

Yes, but why the hell is Sonic in Smash Brawl for, if Sonic's next game won't be on the Wii???

I'm sure Nintendo assumed the next Sonic would be coming to Wii also and not just PS3/360, but it looks like Sega have screwed them.

EDIT: Oh OK, thanks for that response!:D

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Jasper said:
Yes, but why the hell is Sonic in Smash Brawl for, if Sonic's next game won't be on the Wii???
I think Sonic's in Brawl because Sega was all like, "Oh hey third-party characters in Smash Bros., Nintendo we'll let you put Sonic in," and Nintendo was all, "Sweet, fans will love it."

dark10x

Jasper said:

I'm sure Nintendo assumed the next Sonic would be coming to Wii also and not just PS3/360, but it looks like Sega have screwed them.
Have you forgotten about Sonic Riders Zero Gravity? ;P

Seriously, though, it's entirely possible that another Sonic game will appear on the Wii (possibly even a version of this game). I'd imagine that there will be multiple teams working on this project if a Wii version is planned as they really could not share assets between the Wii and 360/PS3 versions.

Perhaps another Secret Rings style game will exist on Wii?

Hopefully that is what will occur. The team working on the game shown in this thread has enough on their plate as it is. Worrying about three platforms with one of them being much less capable is the last thing they need. This team needs to focus on creating a great game first and foremost.

Of course, Sonic appearing in Brawl may hold no meaning at all. I mean, Solid Snake is in Brawl and it is highly unlikely that a new Metal Gear title will ever appear on the system (I believe Sakurai and Kojima are simply friends). Kojima may end up designing a Wii game at some point, of course, but it won't be Metal Gear.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Jasper said:

EDIT: Oh OK, thanks for that response!:D

You're questioning Sega's business decisions?! Foolish man :p

They've been run by one of these for a while now, and they are quite attached to it:

decision_maker_01.jpg

Ramenman

Jasper said:

Er, no.

webrunner

dabookerman said:
So is this game set in Mobius? Is Robotnik still called Eggman?

Will there be humans in it. Will Sonic have sex with any of them?

I see there is a Sonic werewolf character, so there will be a Twilight Zone for you to explore right?

Sonic games have never been set on Mobius. It was entirely a SATAM/comic creation

Top Bottom