• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for "Civil War", new movie written and directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina, 28 Days Later, Annihilation)

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
There are so many?

I thought it was just one and The Testaments after that.
Ah excuse my idiocy. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, also has a capital named Gilead where all the gunslingers (the main character is one of these) come from. The main story is also set in a ruined post apocalyptic world 😓

Lunarorbit

Ah excuse my idiocy. The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, also has a capital named Gilead where all the gunslingers (the main character is one of these) come from. The main story is also set in a ruined post apocalyptic world 😓
You didn't like wizard and glass? I stopped after way through wolves of calla once they introduced lightsabers but I really liked the series up until that point

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
You didn't like wizard and glass? I stopped after way through wolves of calla once they introduced lightsabers but I really liked the series up until that point

Two fails from me in this thread alone. You're right, The Wizard and the Glass was probably my most favourite book in the series. Well really it's the
flashback story
that really elevated that book for me.

I wish i could just rent some of these movies like during covid, sometimes i dont feel like draggin ass to the theater to see everything

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just watched it again in IMAX.

It's fucking shameful how little people are talking about the final 30 minutes of this film. It's right up there with the best shot combat in movies this decade. Masterclass in filmmaking. Beautiful cinematography.

GAF Film heads where the hell you at!?!

jason10mm

Gold Member
The commie types just love the idea of America splitting into a civil war.

But we ALL KNOW 'murica stands strong against the rest of the world!! You 80's kids know what I'm talking about :p

qFKWF85.jpeg

Just try to take my cities, the partisans will destroy you and my laser towers shall striketh thee down!!

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just got back from watching it.

Wow. A lot Better than I expected.

Although there thankfully is no left/right divide or culture war BS in this film, it is hinted that the US forces and the POTUS are the cause of the conflict.

Sammy suggests to Joel that if he gets to interview the President, he should ask him why he went for a third term or if he thought disbanding the FBI was a good idea. Sammy also compares the POTUS to dictators such as Gaddafi and Mussolini.

Or that could just be Sammy's POV.

My only disappointment with the film was the abrupt end. I needed something else to end it. Not a happy ending, but maybe some final dialogue between Joel and Jessie.

8/10

Chittagong

Gold Member
Watched it yesterday in BFI IMAX. After the slow beginning it got going and was generally pretty entertaining al the way through the end. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that less than two hours had passed from sitting down when I left the theatre.

While the story avoided discussing politics it was still inevitable and utterly predictable that

a black woman shot the white male president who failed to vacate to his post

the story had all kinds of dumb stuff, like

”hey, the front door of White House is open, nobody else noticed, let’s go and check out what’s in there”

Rental tier.

Alebrije

Nice different movie...just think that in case of a real Civil war things would be worse than the stuff You see on the movie.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The commie types just love the idea of America splitting into a civil war.

But we ALL KNOW 'murica stands strong against the rest of the world!! You 80's kids know what I'm talking about :p

qFKWF85.jpeg

Just try to take my cities, the partisans will destroy you and my laser towers shall striketh thee down!!
What board game is this from

jason10mm

Gold Member
What board game is this from
Fortress:America, one of the classic (along with Shogun and Axis and Allies) Milton Bradley games from the 80s. This is the OG, there was a reprint a few years back as well.

If you have 4+ hours to kill, this is about the best way to do it :p

BuEj2OO.jpeg

NecrosaroIII

Fortress:America, one of the classic (along with Shogun and Axis and Allies) Milton Bradley games from the 80s. This is the OG, there was a reprint a few years back as well.

If you have 4+ hours to kill, this is about the best way to do it :p

BuEj2OO.jpeg
One of my fondest gaming memories is playing Axis and Allies on my 16th birthday. Shogun is a game that I've been wanting for a long time but seems to be out of print (occasionally reprinted as Ikura or Samurai Banners).

This looks pretty cool. Look at Good ole Sadam over there. Those were the fucking days when you could put contemporary dictators on a children's board game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've seen a few people criticize the political divide, but quite a few of those people seen to miss that the divide in the film is centrists vs extremists.

jason10mm

Gold Member
One of my fondest gaming memories is playing Axis and Allies on my 16th birthday. Shogun is a game that I've been wanting for a long time but seems to be out of print (occasionally reprinted as Ikura or Samurai Banners).

This looks pretty cool. Look at Good ole Sadam over there. Those were the fucking days when you could put contemporary dictators on a children's board game.
Yeah, those three are like the classic American board game experiences when you move on from monopoly, life, and trivial pursuit. A&A had the most life, plenty of good variations on that one (including a GI Joe one this summer) but F:A is a fav of mine. Just a great thematic experience and it NEVER fails to draw a crowd at a con. Shogun is super fun as well since it plays so differently. I don't recall ever playing the Rome GM game from back them, and missed a copy of Cannons and Broadsides or whatever the sailing ship one was.

Def worth getting them. The mechanics are old school but the experience is unmatched.

NecrosaroIII

Watched this movie tonight. It was decent. Jessie was a terrible character. Everything else was great. I was dummy into Kirsten Dunst in this.

Top Bottom