• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Yooka-Laylee review has leaked, been deleted, but the internet remembers all

not only because of zelda but because of so many high-rated games in 2017. horizon, nier, p5, zelda and more.

People should stop arguing about small gaps in ratings. a 9 or 10 means it should be a good game for almost anyone. 7 or 8 can point to a rough but still great experience.

Some awesome games have a metacritic in the 70s/80s.

Hope you can turn off the voices and skip cut scenes then. I really don't have patience for that kind of shit.
That's like 50% of the game's charme and reason of existence, though. Why would you want to skip that.

Title makes it sound like it was a bad review when it was actually a pretty good one for the game. I was expecting a 4/10 or something.

Yep I'm expecting a bunch of 7/8s...

Anyone happen to know if a 4 year old would be able to play this? Or at least run around and have some fun?

Jazzem

British humor. You like it or you don't, haha.

The design is so bad-tastic in the best way possible. I know reviews have to mention this but for me it's a positive.

It's basically going to be "Puns – The Game".

Ha Yeah, I'm suspecting the writing complaints are down to British humour's divisive nature, especially abroad.

I was starting to get nervous about the game, so if reviews are to the tune of this I'll be very happily relieved :)

Yep I'm expecting a bunch of 7/8s...

Anyone happen to know if a 4 year old would be able to play this? Or at least run around and have some fun?

I have played the Toybox demo a few times now and yes, the game "feels" great. If a 4 year old is able to control in a 3D space (I know my daughter has problems with that, haha) it should be no problem. It controls fine! :)

antyk

c35.gif

Why would anyone go to such lengths to create that .gif and f***ed up such an obvious thing like the joke/reference "bubble" not moving from left to right? As a number-skewed person this bothers me a lot :p ;)

Also, pretty good review :)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Are they really criticising annoying characters and bad story?

Thats the point and charm of the Banjo and other Rare games.

Nobody plays such games for a Oscar worthy story and well written characters.
There's a line between charming and just plainly bad however.

Just because it's the same style as BK doesn't mean it'll hit the same notes well. I'm hoping however that it's just a matter of taste in this case and the writing isn't just bad pun central for the same of it rather than the genuinely decent writing that preceded it.

Ansatz

Yooka-Laylee overcomes its occasional rough edges and lack of polish to deliver the finest 3D platformer this side of Super Mario Galaxy

Well, that's one way of saying it's better than the Mario 3D Land/World titles. Seriously though, Yooka-Laylee might deliver in alot of ways but the raw platforming itself doesn't impress at all so far.

FelipeMGM

I wish it was finally lifted by now. After finishing the game and reading some comments in previous thread it's becoming more and more difficult to be silent lol.

same lol

Also I need some guides to find the remaining stuff for that Platinum

Modoru

Why would anyone go to such lengths to create that .gif and f***ed up such an obvious thing like the joke/reference "bubble" not moving from left to right? As a number-skewed person this bothers me a lot :p ;)

Idk man I just googled it, don't ask me

SomTervo

I played a little bit at EGX Rezzed last week and their experience lines up perfectly with mine. The levels feel weirdly empty and spacious - but that's sort of the way the older games were, and actually works for the 'joy of movement' mechanics which are captured really nicely.

PKrockin

There is a huge resurgence in focus on numbers. Is all this because of Zelda's insanity ?
I don't know if it's really a resurgence. The Uncharted 3 debacle happened 5-6 years ago after all and the 8.8 before that. When you form a community around the hype for a certain game, and something questions the legitimacy of the hype, such as a mediocre review, it may be taken personally, as an attack on one's identity (one's identity being partially formed by the communities the person is a part of). But maybe that's reading too much into it.

jobrro

Sounds good, I hope it meet Kickstarter backer expectations.

I want this game but won't be day one. The backlog and Persona 5. I want this game to do well though, not enough of these style of games recently. Hope it does well. Seems to be reasonably priced which should help.

Kouichi

There is a huge resurgence in focus on numbers. Is all this because of Zelda's insanity ?

I'm interested in the scores for this game simply because I'm curious to see how modern critics will receive a Banjo style game in this day and age. The scores for the ports of the classic Banjo games showed that the old collection style isn't as praised as it once was.

Not that negative reviews would be bad or anything like that. I'm just interested to see how Yooka Laylee will be received by people who don't have a fondness for that classic era of platformers.

Azuardo

Huh, BrashGames also posted their Old Time Hockey review a day before embargo... Interesting that they are making a trend of this.

Because you existed before the joke.

c35.gif

Seriously, the fanbase that backed this game did so BECAUSE they want an absurdly pointless storyline with over-the-top silly puns and humour

At least, I want to play this game and groan at the jokes, but laugh anyway.

This review isn't written for banjo kazooie fans, it's written for anyone interesting in gaming in general. How hard is that to understand?

DJKhaled

It's starting to annoy me that they haven't sent out codes to backers. Not fair that people thag preorder have downloaded the game waiting for it to unlock but backers can't do that.

I would have preferred to find and discover the abilities like BK/BT. I get why they did it, but still, never really liked that from sly 2.

Nemesis_

Are they really criticising annoying characters and bad story?

Thats the point and charm of the Banjo and other Rare games.

Nobody plays such games for a Oscar worthy story and well written characters.

I've heard that the character in this just aren't on the same level as those in BK. like the soul isn't there.

I'd expect 8 to be one of the higher scores for this game, having heard from three reviewers independently. I've not played it myself tho so can't comment. F

Modoru

This review isn't written for banjo kazooie fans, it's written for anyone interesting in gaming in general. How hard is that to understand?
Don't bring logic into my heated argument, I'm personally offended etc etc

I'm actually indifferent about the whole thing, but given that the game was designed with the spirit of the old rare games (especially to entice the backers), humor and all, it seems somewhat silly to complain about that specific aspect. Of course, it makes sense to point out the game's written that way, but we did he expect? A novel?

Idk. Also, as an aside, swipe text suggested babies instead of backers. Hehe.

AndyKoopa

Neo Member
I still don't understand why Kickstarted games are sent out to reviewers before the ACTUAL backers that helped pay for it.

Hope you can turn off the voices and skip cut scenes then. I really don't have patience for that kind of shit.

You can't without turning off the sound effects.

I just want to run around and collect some stuff with a nice controlling character. I don't really have time for bad writing.

You don't have the patience to listen to some dialog and watch cutscenes, but you do for collecting things in a collectathon?.... alright makes sense.

daTRUballin

It's a "bit" hyperbolic, considering that Mario Galaxy is considered one of the best games ever.

Yeah, I get that, but Yooka-Laylee isn't even out yet. Until we actually play the game, there's no reason to think that quote is immediately "laughable". That doesn't make any sense.

Top Bottom