• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT7| #Swelfies, Trap Lords, and Quadzilla

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shopping for weights, should I get them from general places like Target etc?

Always check craigslist first.

Aaah, that new thread smell. Like a fresh set of bumper plates.

El cheapo velcro belt arrived today, should help keep form good and safe as the cut drags on. It's funny how one crappy rep on a deadlift or squat can leave my lower back sore for a week but when I really nail the form it feels like a million bucks. Powerful techniques, these lifts are.

Sadetar

Bloody hell I didn't even realize it is 6 am already! I was so carried away with this thread again.

Damn I need to crawl to bed. Thank gods it is my day off. I think I won't be going to the gym early in the morning...

You sweetie pies play nicely together while I am gone. If you do anything particularly naughty be sure to record it for us.

Love you all! <3

Cudder

Hahah, sounds quite promising. Even though you naughty boy are already a very sexy piece of meat and it seems that that ass of yours would need some proper spanking.

Okay, I'll give. What the hell is this? The last quarter of OT6 was already inundated with weird, off kilter innuendo. I'm all for encouraging one another to become better, but some of the language used in here really sets a weird tone.

Ashodin

Always check craigslist first.

Aaah, that new thread smell. Like a fresh set of bumper plates.

El cheapo velcro belt arrived today, should help keep form good and safe as the cut drags on. It's funny how one crappy rep on a deadlift or squat can leave my lower back sore for a week but when I really nail the form it feels like a million bucks. Powerful techniques, these lifts are.
Hmmm I'll look into it, but I'm leery of using craigslist.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Did some 2-3s pause squats on my light squat day: 325/335/345/355/365/375x3. Couldn't even row because I got some stabbing pain going from my shoulder, elbow and hand from the pex crimping tool I adjusted too tight :/

213lbs now and 220lbs will be a journey with all this heat, since I tend to eat less when it's so hot, but I think I can reach it.

I want to make a shirt that says, "Stop looking at my ghetto ass", on the back for squat days.

And for the thread title:

LytDIvl.jpg

Sadetar

Okay, I'll give. What the hell is this? The last quarter of OT6 was already inundated with weird, off kilter innuendo. I'm all for encouraging one another to become better, but some of the language used in here really sets a weird tone.
Hahah, don't think too much of it. It is just my natural (to some very annoying) way of expressing myself. I call my coworkers sweethearts and darlings, ask them to behave when I am gone and threat them with spanking their asses. It seems I am continuing my bad habits in here as well. I am sure you will get used to it when the time goes by. :p

A little bit of compliments when there is a reason for them hasn't never hurt anybody. When my keyboard is wet from drooling why not share it with others and make them feel better about themselves. Any motivation is good motivation, right. ^_^

But hey, now that previously mentioned bed. I need at least 7-8 hours sleep before going to the gym.

Chocobro

The new OT smell, glorious.

This has been on my mind time to time but do we want GOMAD and 2DEAD in the OT? Ever since I started posting on OT5/6, whenever someone asks about doing GOMAD, it seems a good number of posters don't recommend it because it is such an extreme way of gaining weight. I ask this because I feel the OT should be a good reflection of what the community believes or advocates.

Wait? You're asking? Umm... The term was created for you. I think you're safe.
*blushes and kicks dirt* Aw shucks.

Speaking of Quadzilla, it's leg day and I can't be more hyped about it. I skipped last week because of my really sore calves (was worried about health issues) but all is good now. I'm even more excited for the crazy DOMS I'm gonna have this weekend.

EDIT: FWIW I know I've posted this before, but I posted this on FB recently and I feel like it's my favorite leg pic of mine. Simply because the lighting really shows off that definition I get in my quads. It's like the only place I can get insane striations and shape so I gotta be proud.

_Isaac

Who else thinks power cleans are scary? Power Cleans scare me now ever since I smacked my chin hard with the bar. :(

despire

I don't have to the ability to go there (don't have the car most days), plus it would take more time to go there and back than it does to go to the one I go to now.

So yeah.

Heh this is pretty funny

Oh and subbed!

But you said that you haven't even checked out the possible local gyms and their prices. How would you know? There might be an amazing and cheap gym just around the corner.

Also I don't think you would have to spend 8 hours a week just to commute to another gym. Even 2x a week (2x45min) doing a solid program would net you more progress than the 10 hours you're doing now.

Ashodin

But you said that you haven't even checked out the possible local gyms and their prices. How would you know? There might be an amazing and cheap gym just around the corner.

Also I don't think you would have to spend 8 hours a week just to commute to another gym. Even 2x a week (2x45min) doing a solid program would net you more progress than the 10 hours you're doing now.

Hmm I checked online and I'd have to call them to figure out their memberships, and even then, it's still money/gas to spend that I don't have.

And I appreciate the advice as well for the baby steps thing, however I've been doing this since the end of last year, only recently have I been able to take my fitness up a notch. So there's that.

I was thinking about your posts in the last thread and wrong some stuff up as a bit of an exercise for the writing thread.

Prob a bit too long to post so here it is if you are at all interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIG71i9puOOUEpJM2NjUmZXT3M/edit?usp=sharing

Summary is that I've been there, I'm still mostly there and I understand the struggle. If you are like me, you'll probably not be doing the best thing you can do, but you'll still be improving, even if it is slow.

The advice is that one day, you'll probably wish you had been doing more. But getting to that point is really part of the whole journey.

Hey guys I'm looking to get some nice tone muscles instead of big gross ones. Does cardio everyday and and 100 curls with a 10 pound weight sound like the way to go? Also should I take up crossfit? Maybe Zumba. Here's what I'm workin with

TJos3vZl.jpg

Ashodin

I was thinking about your posts in the last thread and wrong some stuff up as a bit of an exercise for the writing thread.

Prob a bit too long to post so here it is if you are at all interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIG71i9puOOUEpJM2NjUmZXT3M/edit?usp=sharing

Summary is that I've been there, I'm still mostly there and I understand the struggle. If you are like me, you'll probably not be doing the best thing you can do, but you'll still be improving, even if it is slow.

The advice is that one day, you'll probably wish you had been doing more. But getting to that point is really part of the whole journey.
Hey awesome story, and I'm glad you wrote it, because I'm already in a gym and doing stuff! I just need to make up my own routine and make it work.

Hey guys I'm looking to get some nice tone muscles instead of big gross ones. Does cardio everyday and and 100 curls with a 10 pound weight sound like the way to go? Also should I take up crossfit? Maybe Zumba. Here's what I'm workin with

I just think eating less should do it haha

Leeness

I will ask my seamstress all my old measures so I can later on easily compare them then. :D

And having a rest day is totally fine. Trust me. You need them. Go play the game and have fun!

Also don't compare yourself to anybody else! You are doing this for yourself and you are only trying to be the better version of you. It is totally irrelevant to compare yourself to the beast in here who have been working out for years if not for decades. So stop to that nonsense right now and just be happy when you do better than you previously have! ^_^

Baaaah now I feel lazy as hell. FFX was fun but now I feel bad :(

Only?

3 months is alot. With the right nutrition, program and mindset you can accomplish your weightloss goal.

I'm one of those people who takes forever to lose weight. Like...we're talking months to see the scale move even a pound lol.

So I'm going to work myself to the bone and eat well (but only 1200 calories) and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if I hadn't lost anything by September though :(

It depends on what you're doing and what your goals are. I'm working out six days a week on average and am in the best shape I've been in for the past 5 years.

That's awesome!

I'm trying to lose 15-20lbs by September for a trip. Working out as many days as I can during the week and switching between 20 or 40 minutes of cardio kickboxing, a 35 minute high intensity circuit abs...thing, and a 55 minute strength circuit. They're all Jillian Michaels DVDs and they helped me last time I dropped 40lbs so I'm hoping they will do well by me this time too.

Ashodin

Baaaah now I feel lazy as hell. FFX was fun but now I feel bad :(

I'm one of those people who takes forever to lose weight. Like...we're talking months to see the scale move even a pound lol.

So I'm going to work myself to the bone and eat well (but only 1200 calories) and see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if I hadn't lost anything by September though :(

That's awesome!

I'm trying to lose 15-20lbs by September for a trip. Working out as many days as I can during the week and switching between 20 or 40 minutes of cardio kickboxing, a 35 minute high intensity circuit abs...thing, and a 55 minute strength circuit. They're all Jillian Michaels DVDs and they helped me last time I dropped 40lbs so I'm hoping they will do well by me this time too.

I hope you can make it! Here's hoping for you!!

TJos3vZl.jpg

lotta mass bro

lotta mass

choo choo!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Who else thinks power cleans are scary? Power Cleans scare me now ever since I smacked my chin hard with the bar. :(
I almost bit my tongue off doing a front squat once. Came up out of the hole with a lot of velocity and managed to launch the bar up into my chin.

Nonsense. Its a question of basic thermodynamics. Few people are actually constrained by their genetics. The same laws of losing weight applies to everybody.

What does your diet consist of?

Imm0rt4l

*blushes and kicks dirt* Aw shucks.

Speaking of Quadzilla, it's leg day and I can't be more hyped about it. I skipped last week because of my really sore calves (was worried about health issues) but all is good now. I'm even more excited for the crazy DOMS I'm gonna have this weekend.

EDIT: FWIW I know I've posted this before, but I posted this on FB recently and I feel like it's my favorite leg pic of mine. Simply because the lighting really shows off that definition I get in my quads. It's like the only place I can get insane striations and shape so I gotta be proud.

Christ....

that quad sweep is.....fffuuaak. Rugby players don't have quads this good

sphinx

the piano man
Well, well, I made it through the night and woke up to a brand new thread, pretty cool, selfies galores.

to celebrate the event, I will put my personal 4 favorite before/afters,

1.- the beginning, first signs of progress

ot71_zps765fa6b8.jpg

2.- Fat/young vs lean/Old

ot74_zps80193bb9.jpg

3.- Cut/scrawny vs Bulk

ot72_zps54a78399.jpg

4.- LTD progress

ot73_zps609926c4.jpg

sphinx

the piano man
(in a new post, for the sake of order :p)

all of the posts

you remind me a lot of myself when I started doing fitness things and began posting in the OT4 fitness thread. I was doing random stuff which which consisted of jogging and some machines that were at my disposal in the park I used to go to and I was EUPHORIC, I was in a constant "fuck yeah" state of mind in which my mind couldn't think of anything that run those miles and do my 50 push ups and awesome crunches.

I started posting and noticed people were being rather unfriendly and I couldn't comprehend why. Well it was a mix of things, it's the different philosophies ("calisthenics" vs serious lifting) and that I was being obnoxious with lots of "fuck yeah" posts and how I was proud of my progress, which I definitely was experiencing, but I was barely scratching the surface of all thing fitness.

like you, I was reluctant to apply for a membership in a gym. Basically because I was on a roll fo awesome doing my thing and I felt extremely happy, I didn't feel I needed a gym or a barbell at the time. In fact, If I lived in a tropical country with summer all year through I may have never applied for a gym membership, I did it in october 2012 because weather in Germany is shit and it rains and its windy. After a while I wanted to expand my fitness horizon and get muscles like the other guys, grew a pair and asked the coworkers in the gym how to use everything in the free weight area and most of the machines, bought a copy of "starting strength" and learned about the compounds and learned a shitton of moves that are actually quite fun to do. I also paid attention to the OT here, which is very intimidating for a newcomer. I remember my first reaction was basically "tl;dr", too complicated but it turned to be a GREAT tool as I progressed, I remember everything began to make sense as I was progressing and confronting myself with questions. Even today I go back to it to find some pieces of info I am not sure about.

to summarize, don't get discouraged if it looks like people are against you, they are not, they want to help you reach your goals faster and easier. It took me a while to realize that back in OT4. I felt like fitgaf was very confrontational to me back when I was starting and I could not understand why. Putting aside the posts of a couple of assholes who were never part of fitgaf anyway,I think the reason was that I was very narrowminded and was firmly convinced that what I was doing was the most motherfucking awesome superduper fitness routine in the world. I had to open myself in order to learn.

maybe you feel like people should give you more credit for what you are doing, considering how out of shape and in what awful condition most people in the world find themselves. Yes, it's great and I think everyone commends you for your passion, do not lose that. if you feel happy doing what you are doing, continue and when you reach any sort of plateau come here asking why and people will give you tips to improve.

I decided to start my cut this coming Monday instead of this past Monday during to being on a 3 day trip this weekend for my bachelor party.

Don't worry though bros/sistahs, I am bringing some lifting attire in case the hotel has any sort of lifting equipment. Gonna do some 4 AM half-sober curls on whatever rusted POS machines they have.

Glory be to any hotel that actually provides free weights.

Fuzzery

Might need to get some wrist wraps soon. Seems to be a lot of pressure on them during OHPs, but it might be my form. Any recommendations?

Might need to get some wrist wraps soon. Seems to be a lot of pressure on them during OHPs, but it might be my form. Any recommendations?
Keep your wrist in line with your arm. If you can't maintain grip on the bar like that then your forearm muscles require you to put less weight on the bar and build strength there until they catch up with your shoulders.

Zoe

That's awesome!

Well unfortunately it's not helping me lose weight (just 5 pounds over three months, probably eating too little), but I'm in a much better place cardio-wise than the beginning of the year. I've always been in my best shape when I've done cardio almost every day.

Missed this. Fantastico. I can't wait to get back to deadlifts towards later this year.

And my and upper back are sore. Those snatch grip high pulls are no joke.

But are they no YOKE? Wakka wakka

The new OT smell, glorious.

This has been on my mind time to time but do we want GOMAD and 2DEAD in the OT? Ever since I started posting on OT5/6, whenever someone asks about doing GOMAD, it seems a good number of posters don't recommend it because it is such an extreme way of gaining weight. I ask this because I feel the OT should be a good reflection of what the community believes or advocates.

I'm with you, I think it just needs to go. There are bettet ways to go about gaining mass even if you are a completely untrained skinny newbie. why don't we just have a list of a few calorically dense foods that are good to eat if you have trouble gaining weight? for example almonds and other nuts, their respective butters, breakfast cereals, cottage cheese, and yes milk and eggs. Just a few examples to kick it off.

Matugi

Reposting from the old thread because I can.

8CtzLTM.jpg

#dead

Upped my stack to the 25/12.5/12.5 mg dose today and im feeling like my heart's boutta explode lol. gotta drive mums to the airport then ima finna kill DL today. Shooting for 5x335. Think I'ma go 8x135, 8x185, 5x225, 5x275, 5x315, 5x335

***STAGE 1: COMPLETE***

LEVEL UP:

+STR!
+INT!
+STA!
+VIT!

Hello Gents!

So my first year of lifting has come to an end, and its been a helluva journey thus far.

The collected locks are actually from my gym by gymfolks who have abandoned them. Sorta a habit I picked up along the way.
I've Traversed through many days of lifting, distance sprinting on a vacant soccer field by midnight. Regardless of weather conditions; snow, rain, freezing cold temperatures, winds and storms.

Also managed to sign up for Kendo midway!

Progression:

2013:

June : Weight 72 Kg

N7wsecn.jpg

November: Weight 87,8 Kg

2014:

June: Weight 73 Kg

gHL7Wk4.jpg

Pardon the unkept hair, drowzy look and sloppy pose. It was early morning when the photos were taken. As a bonus, I'm wearing the same briefs as in the 2013 photos for better comparison.

I went from a trouser size of 36 to a size 29 (currently)! Prior to the beginning of this journey it was actually 30!

Current lifting statistics:

1RM:

Squat: 125 Kg
Deadlift: 140 Kg
Overhead press: 57,5 Kg
Bench press: 87,5 Kg
Powerclean: 30 Kg - (60 Kg*)
Back extensions: 60 Kg

*=reset

Weight statistics:

Period: June 4th 2013 - June 4th 2014

E4aMWh2.jpg

Pardon the lack of registered weight data between June 4th and November 17th 2013. I didn't seriously track my weight untill my cut late november.

I want to tell you guys that I really appreciate your help fitgaf. I still remember the time I hit 1 plate bench 3x5 and Sean asked if I shouted "lightweight baby! wooo!" when I broke the plateau. Brolic consistently pushing me, metaphorically speaking. Sunflower/Vince and Cooter's encouraging and supportive words. Can't exclude FE's polite and friendly nature, and Petries and Darths inspirational backstory.

I had some rough times in my life and lifting has made it feel exponentially better.

You guys rock.

Oh... btw, I just cancelled my gym membership... and switched to a 24 hour open gym instead within the same radius. :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Highluxury you're makin' it brother. That cut when you didn't want to cut was just what you needed. Awesome work my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom