• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT8| Dad Bods, Bulge Swelfies, and Wait...Do you even lift bro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azulsky

I'm still not sure whether its worth the $$$, the time off work and the pain of recovery to get skin fixed. Hard to tell whether its something I want to do for myself or for other people.

The hardest part for me is orchestrating the 1 month off work for recovery.

M52B28

Banned
Damn. I'm getting kind of freaked out. I just gotta see how this works out.

From all that I understand is that dropping body fat and putting on a TON more muscle would help tighten it.

If that's so, I'm just going to keep lifting the way I do. It seems like people who focus on cardio when loosing weight tend to have more skin problems later.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Soooo I noticed something today. Since I got that brutal ass calf massage, there's no pain at all in my lower back which usually there is SOME. Interesting.

pixelation

Dudes, what kind of peanut butter do you ingest?, is it the regular kind that you buy @ Walmart? (Skippy and the likes) or is it a different kind?, i'm interested mainly due to the protein content.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hm, any thoughts on why? Calves relaxed and taking their proper portion of lifts?

Haven't lifted since. Gotta think it's just how they connect to everything. Plus they are basically your shock absorbers. They were terrible though. Several times I almost made her stop. Worst thing worked on yet. Worse than my busted forearm and WAY worse than hamstrings.

BumRush

Haven't lifted since. Gotta think it's just how they connect to everything. Plus they are basically your shock absorbers. They were terrible though. Several times I almost made her stop. Worst thing worked on yet. Worse than my busted forearm and WAY worse than hamstrings.

Damn. How often would you get it done?

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
I'm getting my first professional massage Sunday. Since I have no issues or trouble spots I'm going on to feel good. F this paying for pain business. I'm only going that route if I need to.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm getting my first professional massage Sunday. Since I have no issues or trouble spots I'm going on to feel good. F this paying for pain business. I'm only going that route if I need to.

paying for pain that breaks up tissue that could/would otherwise create an injury. It's worth it.

And a real DT massage is what I get. If it's real deep tissue, it's gonna hurt. Get regular if that's not what you want.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
paying for pain that breaks up tissue that could/would otherwise create an injury. It's worth it.

And a real DT massage is what I get. If it's real deep tissue, it's gonna hurt. Get regular if that's not what you want.
I guess I'll cross that road when I get there. I imagine you have much more of a need for DT than me with all the stress you put your body through. At this point I'm going in to feel good. If I ever get another one maybe I'll give DT a go.

ILoveBish

Felt pretty good today, just been eating whatever. The mint chocolate cheesecake dip was a huge hit, everyone who tasted it loved it. I think when people come over, that will likely become a staple item. That along with the coconut cream cheesecake are quite amazing. I need to pull another 30 hour day today, so just eating every once in a while, i had to replace my motherboard on my new skylake pc so i'm doing that and stress testing it now. Then work at 8, gym at noon, and knock out by 4:30-5pm-ish. This pc stuff destroyed my entire weekend.

Yup same here. I actually used to hide it by lifting my shorts over it, lol.

It's weird cause under the skin I have a crazy "V" with veins snaking up my lower abs, but they're completely hidden by the skin. :(

Another thing I've noticed is if I put on any weight, whether water or fat, A LOT of it goes to that area. It balloons pretty bad and makes me look much fatter than I really am. Hate it.

Yep, thats where the majority of my remaining fat is. And when i have any bloat or gain, its there immediately and nowhere else. Feels bad man. But it is what it is. It really was a heck of a lot worse tho, but i'm going to do more long fasts and see if it further improves.

It's funny, I find regular massages awful anyway, really uncomfortable. I think probably because I'm pretty much tense everywhere all the time.

Squat rack arrived and I've found out that it's been so long since I did proper squats (probably about 5 months now) that my form has completely gone to shit, and I can barely lift anything.

Going to be a long road back to my old numbers.

Azulsky

Damn. I'm getting kind of freaked out. I just gotta see how this works out.

From all that I understand is that dropping body fat and putting on a TON more muscle would help tighten it.

If that's so, I'm just going to keep lifting the way I do. It seems like people who focus on cardio when loosing weight tend to have more skin problems later.

My arms and upper chest area fixed themselves once I got any decent back/shoulder and chest progress. I can actually see where the skin has pulled taught as some stretch marks move. It's the belly button to mid thigh that is the trouble area. Unless I want some mega crossfit obliques dunno how to fill the abdominal area.

The only thing I have found regarding helping elasticity itself is adequate protein intake, and that was just off the basis of preventing collagen breakdown(There is a specific disorder). If you are lifting you should be getting this anyway.

Being patient is the real test of discipline for me.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Satisfying when you know you don't have to do it again for 2-3 days?

Good to hear you're enjoying it!

The grind of heavy back squats every 2-3 days is awful. Mixing it up with "back-off" front squats makes them a lot more enjoyable for me.

BumRush

The grind of heavy back squats every 2-3 days is awful. Mixing it up with "back-off" front squats makes them a lot more enjoyable for me.

After squatting like that for years, I'd agree. I can't bring myself to do heavy squats more than 1X per week, no matter what.

Azulsky

I've just stopped doing the low rep squat days. 5x3 was doing more to my knee joints than I cared for. Higher rep sets at much lighter weight has been equally as intense but much more favorable to being able to do it again the same week. I feel like I am saving my back too.

I can actually get a bit lower in front squats than I can in back squats. They are pretty legit now that my wrists are used to the amount of flexion.

Azulsky

Anyone else read this post on r/fitness? Link

Maybe its a subconscious desire to impress if you are being supervised. That seems to be the main takeaway.

Training to failure implies loss of form at the end of the set. Doesn't seem worth doing on compound lifts to me. Then again my goals are purely strength oriented, more on the look betterish in a t-shirt side of the spectrum. The weight on the bar is what I need for the rep range to be hard.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I was thinking about something like this earlier today with regards to my routine. I usually go in, and do 5-7 lifts/exercises but I don't ever really move my weight up because I won't be able to do my other lifts to the weight I usually do them at. I do 3 sets of 8 reps.

Example: I bench 115 lbs comfortably, and then I go do the other 4-5 lifts/exercises. Would it make more sense to bump up to a weight something I could still do in 3 sets of 8 reps (say 130 lbs) and just do fewer other lifts?

I was thinking about something like this earlier today with regards to my routine. I usually go in, and do 5-7 lifts/exercises but I don't ever really move my weight up because I won't be able to do my other lifts to the weight I usually do them at. I do 3 sets of 8 reps.

Example: I bench 115 lbs comfortably, and then I go do the other 4-5 lifts/exercises. Would it make more sense to bump up to a weight something I could still do in 3 sets of 8 reps (say 130 lbs) and just do fewer other lifts?

The message he's trying to get across in his article is that you shouldn't go to the gym to do a workout that you know you can complete.

When you go to the gym, it should be to do a workout that will challenge your limits. At the end of the workout, you may or may not complete all your sets/reps, but it doesn't matter if you couldn't do it all, what matters is that you: A. -- gave 100%, and B. -- did better than you did in your previous workout.

blackflag

I started Push pull legs last week....Not sure if I'm liking it. I feel like overall each body part gets less work or something.

Usually I do 5 day split.

mkenyon

Banned
Friend just sent me this. Image is titled, "Crossfit Pushups"

jPtg8W2.gif

Mr. X

The message he's trying to get across in his article is that you shouldn't go to the gym to do a workout that you know you can complete.

When you go to the gym, it should be to do a workout that will challenge your limits. At the end of the workout, you may or may not complete all your sets/reps, but it doesn't matter if you couldn't do it all, what matters is that you: A. -- gave 100%, and B. -- did better than you did in your previous workout.
Wouldn't this depend on your lifting goals? I feel like form should be top priority, weight is second.

Sounds like bollocks to me. Many of the best programs have you working at well short of your maximum output yet still making very consistent gains over time because of the way they're structured. Don't get me wrong, I think you should definitely have the opportunity to push it to the limit when you've got it in you (see joker sets / AMRAP etc), but I did sets to failure for around a year and didn't progress nearly as fast as when I started using some decent progression plans.

ILoveBish

Broscience-ish advice. Form should be above all else, what good is going heavier if you hurt yourself and can't lift. Eff that, son.

Satisfying when you know you don't have to do it again for 2-3 days?

Good to hear you're enjoying it!

3 days a week. Not lifting a hell of a lot of weight in the scheme of things, but im well aware when it gets proper heavy and I start missing reps my tune will change!

Also did deadlifts again last night, back still feels a little weird, but way better then my first attempt. I'll record my deadlifts next time just to make sure my form isn't terrible.

Chorazin

pretty cool stuff, you must be tired as shit

Tired and sore address both fighting for the lead! Did the event from 9pm Friday until about 10:30am Saturday, stayed to watch the shorter Light event start at noon, then finally got some food and into my room, took a short nap and then watched the Light finish and went out to dinner. Got some sleep that night and then was up in the morning to do a for hour Scavenger hunt through the city.

So many awesome crazy chicks and dudes at these events, I cannot recommend getting into GORUCK enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom