• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

fep

So I wanted to add in the leg press machine after squatting, but the Anytime Fitness I go to doesn't have one. They have a ... hack squat machine? Standing leg press? My goal was to add alternating single leg presses, can I still do that with this thing? I don't use many machines and this kinda threw me for a loop.

Szu

I actually came to ask this exact same question.

Any tips on improving shoulder mobility?

I'm not well versed in the proper exercises. However, I know a few weight lifters at my gym who do Olympic lifts. They do make use of bands and a light bar to do shoulder stretches.

Im not big into weights, ive always been more into BW exercises and HIIT stuff, so i know this is pathetic to most of you guys, but with the small amount of lifting ive added to my routine, i finally deadlifted more than my own BW last night for the first time. Feels good man :D
This is good! As Psycho said, progress is progress. Keep at it!

So I wanted to add in the leg press machine after squatting, but the Anytime Fitness I go to doesn't have one. They have a ... hack squat machine? Standing leg press? My goal was to add alternating single leg presses, can I still do that with this thing? I don't use many machines and this kinda threw me for a loop.
Hmmmm. If you'd like to incorporate single leg you can always use dumbbells and do pistol squats(?) or I forget what it's called but one leg back on a bench and use dumbbells. Hack Squats are fun, too. I have begun to toss them in on one of my leg days as a finisher and just do easy weight but rep them out.

fep

Hmmmm. If you'd like to incorporate single leg you can always use dumbbells and do pistol squats(?) or I forget what it's called but one leg back on a bench and use dumbbells. Hack Squats are fun, too. I have begun to toss them in on one of my leg days as a finisher and just do easy weight but rep them out.

I was thinking about DB/pistol squats, thanks for the advice. I want to do more bodyweight type movements anyway so this kills two birds for me. The only downside is now I have to practice the movement whereas the leg press I could get right into it, ha.

I think you're talking about a bulgarian split squat... that might work too. I'll have to give these a try.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
This is how I imagine your pants if it actually happened.

Lol damn...my pants are tough though!

A little disappointed to find out Costco hotdogs are only 550cals 😕 Had four last time and I didn't feel too good afterwards so three should be the sweet spot.

ntxNjR8.jpg

KillerBEA

I actually came to ask this exact same question.

Any tips on improving shoulder mobility?

Anyone have any suggestions on where I need to gain mobility to be able to do an overhead squat? I tried the other day with an empty barbell and pretty much spiked it into the ground in front of me and fell on my ass. Trying again with nothing in my hands at home my arms end up coming forward when I'm all the way in the hole. Luckily no falling though.

I guess it must be my back/shoulders, just not sure where exactly.
This is specifically about the mobility for Overhead Squat/Snatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGeGp6t1aQ4

The stretch at 6:14 worked really well for me

Ok... so I'm back in the gym again; first time after breaking my ribs.

Decided I'm basically starting from scratch as I don't really care too much about lost strength / size, but I do care about injuring myself again. Basically just did 5x10 on all the main compounds with just the bar (1 plate for deadlift). Felt OK (bit of rib pain on the bench press), but it's going to be a LONG road back.

Renkax

Kinda embarrassed to write this on FITgaf but hey guys . I'm 22 years old and I weight about 190-200 pounds. I've been getting fat , my belly is just big :/ all the weight I have on me is just on my face cheeks and my stomach and some on my side. I've had a membership subscription for 3 months now but in the first month I went and never went back. Because of a lot of work and stress/laziness . I am kind of emberassed to go back.. But seeing you guy's progress makes me want to go tomorrow first thing in the morning.
I had a recently bad break up due to me working myself to death and not having time for my girlfriend now EX.
I don't want to dive deep into the depression and gain more weight. So I'm asking you guys what do I do once I reach the gym? What motivation can I engrave in my head that can make me forget about this sadness so I can be occupied losing all the weight I have on me right now :(

Thank you

KillerBEA

Kinda embarrassed to write this on FITgaf but hey guys . I'm 22 years old and I weight about 190-200 pounds. I've been getting fat , my belly is just big :/ all the weight I have on me is just on my face cheeks and my stomach and some on my side. I've had a membership subscription for 3 months now but in the first month I went and never went back. Because of a lot of work and stress/laziness . I am kind of emberassed to go back.. But seeing you guy's progress makes me want to go tomorrow first thing in the morning.
I had a recently bad break up due to me working myself to death and not having time for my girlfriend now EX.
I don't want to dive deep into the depression and gain more weight. So I'm asking you guys what do I do once I reach the gym? What motivation can I engrave in my head that can make me forget about this sadness so I can be occupied losing all the weight I have on me right now :(

Thank you
Don't be embarrassed. Anybody worth a damn will be glad you're there trying to improve yourself. Those that judge don't matter. Go in do whatever you have decided to do that day and focus on yourself. Pick a beginner lifting routine and stick with it, focus on building a habit right of going to the gym and doing something to improve yourself. Don't worry about min maxing different aspects, just pick something, go, and stick with it. The more something is over complicated the harder it is to stick with it.Do something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts (just example doesn't have to either), easy to follow 3 days a week lifting programs. If you plateau on any of the lifts follow the programs protocol first, then if that doesn't work you can ask for advice here on how to proceed.

Thank you
I weighed 250 when I started. I think the best thing to do is to have a program and focus on the details of the program and perfecting the form of the lifts. Lifting is very technique based, and it's easy to fill your mind with what needs to be done and push out other thoughts.

mdsfx

Ok... so I'm back in the gym again; first time after breaking my ribs.

Decided I'm basically starting from scratch as I don't really care too much about lost strength / size, but I do care about injuring myself again. Basically just did 5x10 on all the main compounds with just the bar (1 plate for deadlift). Felt OK (bit of rib pain on the bench press), but it's going to be a LONG road back.
Hang in there man. Take your time.

Fox318

Thank you

I was in this exact spot in my life not too long ago.

I also had a gym membership that I kinda let lurk around and then I had a medical scare in having fatty liver disease. It was then I went to the gym and just started walking on the treadmill. Getting some cardio back and eventually upping to a jog then running.

I expiermented with a few weightlifting programs but frankly the best thing I ever did was download the Stronglifts app and using the 5X5 program.

Its a powerlifting program where you set goals and each time you go to the gym you have a goal and if you meet that goal honestly it feels great. Even if it's a 1 lb increase in what you lifted before guess what? You just got stronger.

I would also recommend personally a fitnesstracker such as a fitbit. Using it helped me set goals with how much I moved around and helped me understand my body.

But that's for getting in shape and sadly losing weight is all going to be about dieting and that's where you can either use the fitbit app or the NUMBER 1 THING YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT: MyFitnessPal.com

Using that as a diary and forcing yourself to think about what you eat is really going to help you lose weight. I went from 250 to 195 in 7 months using my fitbit, myfitnesspal, and going to the gym.

If you have questions with form don't be afraid to post here or ask anyone at the gym for help. No matter what they look like everyone is there trying to better themselves and everyone had to start from the beginning.

You can do it.

But that's for getting in shape and sadly losing weight is all going to be about dieting and that's where you can either use the fitbit app or the NUMBER 1 THING YOU NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT: MyFitnessPal.com

Using that as a diary and forcing yourself to think about what you eat is really going to help you lose weight. I went from 250 to 195 in 7 months using my fitbit, myfitnesspal, and going to the gym.

You can do it.

Let me reiterate this point. I lost 100 pounds in a year and 90% of it was through counting calories. Ii believe it's a game changer once you start tracking what you eat.

Szu

Dang it, back injury crept back up on me.

Hit me during squats last night. Had to stop and roll it out. Called it a night once I felt better.

Now, my glutes are so tight, I feel like I'm channeling MTP's ass.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Injury ghost getting us now that Hallows Eve is coming?

Slightly strained my groin, warming up with lunges, which I tore two years ago. I think I'm getting tennis elbow from doing dips too deep. 😧

Thank you

I'll tell you a trick that worked for me. It requires a bit of self-control but if you can get going, it works.

Fix yourself a gym schedule, however many days per week you want, 2-3-4, whatever.

Once per month, you can say "I'm not going today", no need for any excuse, you just don't feel like it, don't go. But you can only do so ONCE per month. Once you've used that day, you CANNOT skip unless you actually feel sick or are injured.

I actually used my day off for the first two months, and by the third I was so motivated I never skipped again.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Officially down 15lbs. Halfway to my goal of 155 and when I plan on bulking. That's 15lbs in two months at a rate of 1.8lbs a week. Food scale and dialing in yo shit for the win.

KillerBEA

Injury ghost getting us now that Hallows Eve is coming?

Slightly strained my groin, warming up with lunges, which I tore two years ago. I think I'm getting tennis elbow from doing dips too deep. 😧

I am the opposite fortunately, my nagging injuries are finally starting to go away.

Goddamnit. Four hours of fasted cycling today but I've followed it up by 8 hours of eating pretty much everything in sight as I'm massively stressed about work.

Idiot. :(

mdsfx

Goddamnit. Four hours of fasted cycling today but I've followed it up by 8 hours of eating pretty much everything in sight as I'm massively stressed about work.

Idiot. :(
Try to r e l a x. I do the same thing. I don't even feel guilty anymore. I just call it 'part of the process/life' and get back on track.

Look at this. No gym I know has this. Yoke/farmer hybrid.

https://twitter.com/brolicgaoler/status/789605483921276928

Fucking hell.

Try to r e l a x. I do the same thing. I don't even feel guilty anymore. I just call it 'part of the process/life' and get back on track.

Yeah, it's just a small bump in the road, I know. Just losing discipline makes me worry how easy it'll be to head back to the bad old days.

Doesn't really help that I don't really get to spend much time (aside from on forums) with anyone that trains as hard as I do. I just see the "normal" people in my life working out like, once a week at most, and eating all sorts of shit all the time.

mdsfx

Doesn't really help that I don't really get to spend much time (aside from on forums) with anyone that trains as hard as I do. I just see the "normal" people in my life working out like, once a week at most, and eating all sorts of shit all the time.
Why not join a group of cyclists? Isn't there something local you could connect with?

BumRush

Look at this. No gym I know has this. Yoke/farmer hybrid.

https://twitter.com/brolicgaoler/status/789605483921276928

Weaker than I wanna be.

That thing is sick dude.

Dang it, back injury crept back up on me.

Hit me during squats last night. Had to stop and roll it out. Called it a night once I felt better.

Now, my glutes are so tight, I feel like I'm channeling MTP's ass.

Sorry about your back, bud.

On more positive note, can "channeling MTP's ass" be in the next OT title

mdsfx

I finally decided to schedule a private swim lesson with an Ironman trainer, which also means I'll spare him my skinny white thighs and pick up a longer jammer suit instead of my skimpy square leg suit. It's probably best for everyone...

Im seriously looking forward to finding out how shitty my freestyle stroke is lol. Still takes me 37 minutes to swim a mile. A competitive time is apparently mid to low 20s :(

Edit: Last race of the year tomorrow (my 3rd half marathon). If I finish I'll have completed the Chicago distance challenge by completing this and two other 10+ mile races. Comes with a ridiculously huge medal that I shamelessly want for no good reason.

I'm set to sign up on Nov 1st for at least 5 triathlon sprints next year. Starting to think about a full marathon too, but I'm not sure yet.

Edit 2: Went back to basics with 5x5. Squatting low this time which knocks the weight down able 30lbs for me, but I don't care. Sticking with it.

TLDR: Speedos are too short, running medals are pointless, get that ass on the ground.

Astral

I deadlifted 365 for 4 sets of 3 today. I usually do 20 to 40 pounds less so I was surprised I was able to do it. It's not a lot of reps but I feel accomplished.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Hey Fitness-Age.

Been getting back into shape. Dropped 25 pounds, cut sugar from my diet completely, have been eating well and being more active.

I haven't had too many issues with my general fitness when I've tried, but I have adjustable dumbbells and could use some bench-free home exercises I can go for my back, shoulders and chest. Don't mind some bulk but I'm not looking for huge massive gains.

KillerBEA

Hey Fitness-Age.

Been getting back into shape. Dropped 25 pounds, cut sugar from my diet completely, have been eating well and being more active.

I haven't had too many issues with my general fitness when I've tried, but I have adjustable dumbbells and could use some bench-free home exercises I can go for my back, shoulders and chest. Don't mind some bulk but I'm not looking for huge massive gains.

Floor Press
Delt Raises
Rows
Overhead Press

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Memberships and all that?

Eventually

Hey Fitness-Age.

Fitgaf is the preferred nomenclature.

Top Bottom