• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Cheers.

I just find it strange since I'm not really fat at all, even if I do have a little bit of fat here and there.

I mostly get called thin!

I just hope I can lose the neck fat since I'm incredibly self-conscious about it (I even try and suck it in, which seems to work believe it or not).

Sounds like you have a case of the skinny fat!

No idea how you could "suck in" neck fat, though. I wonder if we're even talking about the same thing.

So this'll be my first time posting...

Can anyone tell me what would be a better option when cutting out alcohol? My situation is this-- I count calories using MyFitnessPal, and track excercise and whatnot with a Fitbit. So far, things have been REALLY good. Losing weight at a healthy rate, building a little muscle, and I'm definitely seeing changes for the better. My only vice is alcohol, which I restrict to weekends unless I happen to go out for dinner during the week, which isn't too often.

Two reasons I want to cut the booze is because 1) obviously it'll help with my weight loss goals, and 2) I feel like shit after drinking alcohol, no matter how much or little I have.

I already drink a lot of water, tea, and some coffee. I guess I'm looking for a treat to have on weekends in the evening when my husband is having a beer or three. Should I go with diet pop, or would it be too much to just have regular pop?

Thanks, fitness guys.

If you care about your health, do not drink regular pop/soda. You're probably better off with the alcohol at that point.

Yeah it's my non-existing triceps. I'm usually doing everything in the 8-15 rep range except my main lifts.
How well do you accessorize them?

I dedicate a day to tris at the end of the week with 15 sets. Pretty much the only way I've gotten mine to grow is to dedicate a session to them.

Can anyone tell me what would be a better option when cutting out alcohol? My situation is this-- I count calories using MyFitnessPal, and track excercise and whatnot with a Fitbit. So far, things have been REALLY good. Losing weight at a healthy rate, building a little muscle, and I'm definitely seeing changes for the better. My only vice is alcohol, which I restrict to weekends unless I happen to go out for dinner during the week, which isn't too often.

Two reasons I want to cut the booze is because 1) obviously it'll help with my weight loss goals, and 2) I feel like shit after drinking alcohol, no matter how much or little I have.

I already drink a lot of water, tea, and some coffee. I guess I'm looking for a treat to have on weekends in the evening when my husband is having a beer or three. Should I go with diet pop, or would it be too much to just have regular pop?

Thanks, fitness guys.

I'd find a diet soda that you like, or maybe find something like Mio to make your water taste better.

Sprite Zero tastes exactly like sprite to me.

AudioNoir

Banned
If you care about your health, do not drink regular pop/soda. You're probably better off with the alcohol at that point.

That's the feeling I'm getting. It's kind of too bad about the alcohol.

I'd find a diet soda that you like, or maybe find something like Mio to make your water taste better.

Sprite Zero tastes exactly like sprite to me.

Same here, actually. There's a diet root beer too that tastes pretty awesome.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
How well do you accessorize them?

I dedicate a day to tris at the end of the week with 15 sets. Pretty much the only way I've gotten mine to grow is to dedicate a session to them.

And suddenly I found a replacement for my one remaining scheduled off day.

Now just to make it so my job doesn't impact my workout plan.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
My apologies, I may have missed it. It might be OK if it's mostly water retention. But losing that much per week is too much, IMO. However, I've seen people do it and those that usually do ha e been bulking/cutting for many cycles so they know their ins/outs of their bodies.

I think Cooter does massive bulk/cut cycles and he is always on point every time but he knows his body and how it reacts.

Paging Cooter...

Everyone is different but at the end of my bulks when I've been artificially keeping my weight up it's not uncommon I lose 10+ pounds the first week. From there the weight loss is more gradual at 2-3 pounds a week. Towards the end of a cut it drops to 1-2 pounds a week. This also depends on if I throw in a refeed day which obviously slows down the process.

Tomorrow I'm going in to end my gym membership at retro. Not looking forward to it as I'm pretty friendly with the owner.

I've heard from other past members they try and persuade you anyway they can.

I'll tell them if they get a power rack and bumper plates I'll stay ;/
Seems fair to me.

Everyone is different but at the end of my bulks when I've been artificially keeping my weight up it's not uncommon I lose 10+ pounds the first week. From there the weight loss is more gradual at 2-3 pounds a week. Towards the end of a cut it drops to 1-2 pounds a week. This also depends on if I throw in a refeed day which obviously slows down the process.
Thanks, dude. Keeping this in mind for my cut. I hit 3 even this week, first week. I didn't go over my calories much towards the end, I just loosened where my macros came from the final week to give my mind a reset. Pizza was awesome every day I had it :D

I should be good then around 2 a week. So long as my strength doesn't wane - I'll keep on keeping on. Trying to hit 12 weeks to get down to 200-205 or even my starting weight but I think I may be too thin at that weight for my height. Going to go for it anyhow. Will make maintenance and the start of the next bulk better at lower BF% anyhow. Lots more work to do in the future!

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Thanks, dude. Keeping this in mind for my cut. I hit 3 even this week, first week. I didn't go over my calories much towards the end, I just loosened where my macros came from the final week to give my mind a reset. Pizza was awesome every day I had it :D

I should be good then around 2 a week. So long as my strength doesn't wane - I'll keep on keeping on. Trying to hit 12 weeks to get down to 200-205 or even my starting weight but I think I may be too thin at that weight for my height. Going to go for it anyhow. Will make maintenance and the start of the next bulk better at lower BF% anyhow. Lots more work to do in the future!
You have a good handle on things. One piece of advice is don't get discouraged if you lose strength. Eventually it will happen on most of your push exercises. My bench and OHP usually take massive hits while my squat suffers a little.

GrapeApes

Tomorrow I'm going in to end my gym membership at retro. Not looking forward to it as I'm pretty friendly with the owner.

I've heard from other past members they try and persuade you anyway they can.

I'll tell them if they get a power rack and bumper plates I'll stay ;/
Good luck. Use the same chain and they require like 2 months notice over here. Pretty lame.

You have a good handle on things. One piece of advice is don't get discouraged if you lose strength. Eventually it will happen on most of your push exercises. My bench and OHP usually take massive hits while my squat suffers a little.
Roger that. I'm expecting about a month in for things to start dropping off. I should be able to keep up with some BW exercises I imagine. As I trim it technically should be easier but I use a plate for dips and a quarter for pulups so we will see. Going to keep the compounds heavy and hang on to every bit I can.

I noticed an uptake in how quickly I become fatigued but I'm working my sleep schedule a bit and some carb timing to help boost during exercise. Def noticed a sharp change in keeping my glucose steady but I'm keeping an eye on it hard. A little bit more difficult even today on my off day to not run low but I'm compensating more - expected since I flipped the switch to burn mode. At least I get to stockpile insulin for my next bulk XD In 10+ years of being diabetic I haven't had an incident where I needed medical treatment for being too low or too high and I ain't gonna break my run.

Thanks again, man. I appreciate the help.

Xun

Sounds like you have a case of the skinny fat!

No idea how you could "suck in" neck fat, though. I wonder if we're even talking about the same thing.
Most likely, although I'm certainly not as extreme as some people though (going by skinny fat pics on Google).

I'm not really into going to the gym just yet, but I do plan on working out at home and taking up tennis (when it gets warmer).

I'll couple that with healthier eating too, even if my diet has gotten considerably better in recent years. That said I still eat too many carbs, so I'll work on cutting back. I'll also try and work on cutting back my beer consumption...

Also I suppose the better phrase would be tensing instead of sucking in the fat, I can't quite explain it.

Leg day starts in a few hours. I'll do whatever you guys say today - but I always start with squats.

Make me feel pain. Fill in the rest of my leg day using nothing more than free weights :D

Go!

theytookourjobz

Thanks, fitness guys.

I personally don't think alcohol has any place in your diet if you are trying to lose weight or build muscle. Put very simply, your metabolic processes slow to a crawl until your body can metabolize the alcohol. That's why mixing alcohol and pills is so dangerous. Yes, a can of soda might have more calories than an alcoholic drink but it definitely doesn't have the same negative effects.

Leg day starts in a few hours. I'll do whatever you guys say today - but I always start with squats.

Make me feel pain. Fill in the rest of my leg day using nothing more than free weights :D

Go!

Grab some free weights in each hand and do lunges, that makes me the most soar.

Most likely, although I'm certainly not as extreme as some people though (going by skinny fat pics on Google).

I'm not really into going to the gym just yet, but I do plan on working out at home and taking up tennis (when it gets warmer).

I'll couple that with healthier eating too, even if my diet has gotten considerably better in recent years. That said I still eat too many carbs, so I'll work on cutting back. I'll also try and work on cutting back my beer consumption...

Also I suppose the better phrase would be tensing instead of sucking in the fat, I can't quite explain it.

You can look skinny but have 17% to 20% body fat like me. I'm down to 11 to 12% now and my belly is definitely a lot better. Best way to reduce body fat %is through diet firs. It's even better when paired with a basic strength training routine so you don't lose as much muscle mass.

frontieruk

Yeah, you likely wont get through two hours of constant exertion without some calorie intake. You'll burn through all your glycogen stores, bonk, and then feel like shit until you finish.

Take some energy drinks or some gels. Sadly you wont really have time to work out which agree with you or not... but you'll find out fairly quickly. :D

Did it in 1h 52m 38s, thought fuck it let's complete a marathon distance, flicked my phone on to check it was still tracking and the app crashed the rower... Not a happy man.

Question to all you guys on here. Sometimes when I'm working out and I really get my heart rate going my ears stop popping like crazy. First they get really plugged like I have a bad cold and if I stop and wait a little bit they'll just go away. Usually after 4-5 minutes or so. Which sucks because then I'm resting too long. But if I plow through it, they just pop over and over and over like I'm going up and down a mountain in a car or whatever. No pain but extremely annoying.

This happen to anybody else?

There it is. Hip snap at full FUCK YOU during squats. I'm in extreme pain at the moment. Can't even bend over without feeling the medial snap or rubber band over my hip. Been coming on for months but I was hoping my daily stretching would keep it at bay.

Gonna call it today which sucks. Leg day is my favorite which is why I reserve it for Sundays so I can go in strong after a rest day. This fucking blows :(

There it is. Hip snap at full FUCK YOU during squats. I'm in extreme pain at the moment. Can't even bend over without feeling the medial snap or rubber band over my hip. Been coming on for months but I was hoping my daily stretching would keep it at bay.

Gonna call it today which sucks. Leg day is my favorite which is why I reserve it for Sundays so I can go in strong after a rest day. This fucking blows :(
Ouch hope you recover

AudioNoir

Banned
I personally don't think alcohol has any place in your diet if you are trying to lose weight or build muscle. Put very simply, your metabolic processes slow to a crawl until your body can metabolize the alcohol. That's why mixing alcohol and pills is so dangerous. Yes, a can of soda might have more calories than an alcoholic drink but it definitely doesn't have the same negative effects.

Yes, I'm quite aware of how alcohol holds back progress (and isn't good for you anyway), plus, as I mentioned, any amount disagrees with me these days anyway. My question was which would be a better option between regular and diet pop when taking into consideration that consumption would be mainly on the weekend.

Ouch hope you recover
Thanks dude.

I wound up giving it 15 then did single leg accessories that didn't require moving my hip (extensions, ham curls, calves, etc).

Sucks since I stretch that shit every day and roll in Sunday charged and ready to go. I feel so useless.

SeanR1221

Damn just saw this :/ rest and keep us posted man.

theytookourjobz

Yes, I'm quite aware of how alcohol holds back progress (and isn't good for you anyway), plus, as I mentioned, any amount disagrees with me these days anyway. My question was which would be a better option between regular and diet pop when taking into consideration that consumption would be mainly on the weekend.

If you're going to drink soda, diet is definitely the better option. But it's still a lesser of two evils.

Damn just saw this :/ rest and keep us posted man.
Thanks, brother.

Hopefully my doc has a good recommendation or is familiar. Doing some research of my own I can treat it with some therapy but I'm not about to MacGuyver my own routine.

Gonna keep stretching it and take deads this week slow and wide. I can go down at least that much without the snap. Been putting it off but it finally caught up to me.

Subtle

So instead of going 5-6 days a week, I want a consistent 4 days per week gym schedule. Is the CanditoTrainingHQ PDF the best four day split? Is doing chest, shoulders, back, biceps, and triceps all on one day really the best way, because that's what it outlines?

JCX

Holy crap, can't imagine the pain. Hope you recover quickly.

BumRush

Just saw this, bub. Feeling any better?

KillerBEA

Wow dude that blows. Hope it heals up nice and good for yah.

Holy crap, can't imagine the pain. Hope you recover quickly.

Just saw this, bub. Feeling any better?

Wow dude that blows. Hope it heals up nice and good for yah.
Thanks, guys.

Feeling better today but still sore. I'm still able to do pretty much everything except go deep with any hip movements. I'll knock off sprinting this week but still do some light running and work the heavy bag as usual tho. Just need to keep from going deep with the hips or high kicks with the left leg.

Seventy70

Hi, everyone. I'm looking to start working out.

Height: 5' 11"
Weight: 125lb.
Goal: 160lb.
Current Training Schedule: None
Current Training Equipment Available: Going to buy whatever's necessary

My goal to start with is to get to put on some muscle and get to 160lb with a clean bulk. I'm planning on starting off with the full body workout recommended in the OP. Since, I've never done this stuff seriously before, I want to make sure my plan is all correct.

First, I need to figure out my maintenance calories. I've been eating roughly the same meals consistently for about 2 months, so I just took the total amount of calories in those meals and I consider it my maintenance. The problem is that it comes out to be surprisingly lower than I thought it would be. The total for a day comes out to be roughly 800 calories. Is this possible or am I messing up my calculations somewhere?

I thought to then start out with, I would go with a daily intake of about 1000 calories with a 40:30:30 macro nutrient ratio and then start the full body workout routine. After that, I will need to do this for about 2 weeks to see if I gain or lose weight. If I lose or maintain weight, I will need to increase the daily calories and continue. If I gained weight, then I should continue until I plateau after which I will increase calories a bit. From what I gather, I should be gaining about a pound a month?

I have a few questions though. I'm mostly interested in aesthetics over the strength side of things. Is the full body workout for beginners that is recommended in OP the correct one for me to choose? And also, how do I know when I should change workout programs and which one to choose?

I'm completely new at this, so please correct me wherever I'm wrong.

My goal to start with is to get to put on some muscle and get to 160lb with a clean bulk. I'm planning on starting off with the full body workout recommended in the OP. Since, I've never done this stuff seriously before, I want to make sure my plan is all correct.

First, I need to figure out my maintenance calories. I've been eating roughly the same meals consistently for about 2 months, so I just took the total amount of calories in those meals and I consider it my maintenance. The problem is that it comes out to be surprisingly lower than I thought it would be. The total for a day comes out to be roughly 800 calories. Is this possible or am I messing up my calculations somewhere?

I thought to then start out with, I would go with a daily intake of about 1000 calories with a 40:30:30 macro nutrient ratio and then start the full body workout routine. After that, I will need to do this for about 2 weeks to see if I gain or lose weight. If I lose or maintain weight, I will need to increase the daily calories and continue. If I gained weight, then I should continue until I plateau after which I will increase calories a bit. From what I gather, I should be gaining about a pound a month?

I have a few questions though. I'm mostly interested in aesthetics over the strength side of things. Is the full body workout for beginners that is recommended in OP the correct one for me to choose? And also, how do I know when I should change workout programs and which one to choose?

800 calories sounds ridiculously low. I would use a calorie tracker like MyFitnessPal to be mostly sure. I would also suggest 50:30:20 carbs, protein, fat, tbh.

As for programs - anything you do as a newbie will add muscle and strength. Don't focus on an "aesthetic" routine until you've slapped on a few slabs of muscle, especially in programs like SS. You'll be needing the strength gained to accessorize appropriately.

You'll also gain some fat in the process. So don't go in loaded thinking you're going to come out looking like a Greek God at 160. You'll probably want to shoot for 180-190 first then cut down. From where you are tho that will take time.

Rework your calories and hit up a beginner program and work towards building muscle and strength flat, you are extremely thin at that height/weight so build a foundation first and worry about aesthetics when you have more to work with. Trying to focus on looks right now instead of functional size is the wrong approach, IMO.

We all want to look good but have to claw our way up that wall first and fight for every inch. There's going to be ups and downs.

Hope this helps.

Teggy

If you were eating 800 calories a day you would be seriously malnourished. Consider that women who are cutting for bikini competitions consider 1300 calories to be extremely low. So something must be wrong with the calculation there.

theytookourjobz

Little training video from yesterday

https://instagram.com/p/BE1osqEo6XF/

Happy I hit 305x12 on deads. It's fun front squatting outside of a rack, you can get super deep.

Knees caving in a bit more than I'd like on deads, especially snatch deads. Have to shove them out a bit like squats.

Deads looked easy! Maybe try some some glute activation bands to help keep the knees out. You can use Mark Bell's Hip Circles too. I've got some buddies that warm up with those before and during every squat and deadlift session.

Top Bottom