• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

lenovox1

Sup fitgaf. Been awhile! Start PTA school (basically PT-lite) next week so between that and work, personal fitness goals might take a backseat for awhile. Anyone able to maintain strength and mass while only lifting about 3 hours a week? I need some assurance that I don't emerge two years later a scrawny weakling.

You can do StrongLifts 5x5 and some accessories with that time.

Do many of you do heavy front squats? I like to do a set after deadlifting (I know that might not be ideal but that's when I fit it). Last time I did them I did 100kg for the first time which isn't that far off my back squats but it damn near killed me. I really felt tired for days afterwards and my next few workouts really suffere as a result.

I'm thinking of moving to a slightly lower weight and upping the volume but I just thought I'd see what others think.

is a cardio day here and there bad when im trying to gain weight?

I like doing cardio to keep fit even if it affects my weight training (which I have no doubt it does to an extent). To limit this I mainly stick to either HIIT or if I'm doing longer runs I only ever go for 20 minutes (increasing speed instant of running longer).

KillerBEA

Do many of you do heavy front squats? I like to do a set after deadlifting (I know that might not be ideal but that's when I fit it). Last time I did them I did 100kg for the first time which isn't that far off my back squats but it damn near killed me. I really felt tired for days afterwards and my next few workouts really suffere as a result.

I'm thinking of moving to a slightly lower weight and upping the volume but I just thought I'd see what others think.
Rotating intensity (proximity to 1 rep max) is a good practice. Some weeks heavy triples, doubles, singles and sometimes doing multiple sets of 5 is a good way to avoid neural fatigue associated with doing a lot of really heavy work.

For a long time last year I had a dedicated day for Front Squats before my injury. I got to 100kg for a max set of 3. Not doing any right now though. Focusing on other things at the moment.

Rotating intensity (proximity to 1 rep max) is a good practice. Some weeks heavy triples, doubles, singles and sometimes doing multiple sets of 5 is a good way to avoid neural fatigue associated with doing a lot of really heavy work.

For a long time last year I had a dedicated day for Front Squats before my injury. I got to 100kg for a max set of 3. Not doing any right now though. Focusing on other things at the moment.

I was doing 3x5 for front squats but I was thinking of dropping down and doing higher reps than that. Personally I've never tried a 1 rep max on any lift as I'm always nervous about injury or getting trapped under the bar on various lifts.

I might try and rotate between heavy and high volume and see how that goes. Up to this point I've just kept with 3x5 for everything because that's how I started with starting strength and just kept going with that.

theytookourjobz

Upper back strength is usually the limiter in front squats so deadlifting first is going to limit the amount of weight you can front squat because chances are your upper back is already a little toasted from deadlifting.

Szu

405 3x8 highbar beltless, PB for sets with that weight and reps. Wanted to do 5x8 but my back was already tweaked before hand 😳

Think my legs have actually grown, around 215lbs dehydrated now. My 38 waist jeans barely fit around my ass and thighs now 😯

Arrrggghhhhh!!!!!
210_7.jpg

Sup fitgaf. Been awhile! Start PTA school (basically PT-lite) next week so between that and work, personal fitness goals might take a backseat for awhile. Anyone able to maintain strength and mass while only lifting about 3 hours a week? I need some assurance that I don't emerge two years later a scrawny weakling.

Managed to get into the best shape I've ever been in while in medical school. It took having a secure plan in terms of diet and fitness to achieve it, and some sacrifices, but it's possible. I think having a fitness app with all the lifts in there helped as well as having a gym on campus that was close by that I could go to right after class/ shift.

mdsfx

Just got back from Philly (business trip). I went for a 7-mile run along the river while I was there and couldn't help it... I ran up the "Rocky Steps" lol

Disxo

Think I went too overboard with my bulk, lowering it from 2800kcal to 2300kcal.
My way of life isnt so taxing on my body.

Just got back from Philly (business trip). I went for a 7-mile run along the river while I was there and couldn't help it... I ran up the "Rocky Steps" lol

I've done this run, which takes you through all the places Rocky ran through:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/philadelphia-pa/the-rocky-run-route-44537780

While listening to a playlist that included, Gotta Fly Now and Eye of the Tiger!

NEXT GOAL: To lift weights in a remote cabin in Russia in the middle of winter -- all with improvised weight equipment. Also, I will stick a photo of Falling Edge on my mirror.

Ultryx

Are you guys fans of MyProtein? They have an 11 lb bag for like $63. I have a 6.3 lb bag from Costco of ON protein, but it costs $60.

Edit: I know one of the MyProtein is rated very highly on the lab testing.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've been having a bitch of a time trying to repattern my deadlift movement. I never really achieved the ability to load the hips correctly. After having done two weeks worth of bench glute bridges, and good mornings it has become extremely easy to feel the hamstring glute tension needed. With that feeling in place I was able to do 5x5 175lb barbell rows with the tension almost squarely on my posterior (keeping my torso in place) instead of a bullseye on my lower back. Felt revelatory. i have mmy heavy deadlift day coming up and I'm a lil excited.

Jokab

Well I've figured out exactly how to trigger my groin pain other than squatting below parallel, but I'm not sure how that helps though since it only triggers pain... If I sit upright on the floor like the picture below with my left (where it hurts) leg with the angle pictured greater than 90 degrees, and try to lift the leg upwards in that position, it hurts right next to my iliopsoas. I've tried stretching adductors but I don't feel anything.

m6tsnvJ.png

Ledbetter

Two months going into Stronglifts and everything is good... except for the OH Press. Failed 40 kg. today, but I think it has to do more with me being busy with finals and my sleep and diet being quite irregular this week.

But just in case, what are some good exercises for shoulders?

Two months going into Stronglifts and everything is good... except for the OH Press. Failed 40 kg. today, but I think it has to do more with me being busy with finals and my sleep and diet being quite irregular this week.

Incline bench press-- I actually got good results from using a Hammer Strength incline press

Face pulls for the rear delts

Rows and hammer grip chins help too

Mediking

Now that I'm actually gonna be outta college soon... I can have the daytime back to hit the gym and do things RIGHT this time. Lol

ldar247

Banned
I've been eating 800 calories and 90g of protein a day for the past three weeks now, would it be safe to keep this up for three months? I'm 5'9'' 160lbs right now, skinnyfat as fuck and probably at 20%-25% body fat or some shit like that. My face is bloated and very subhuman right now and I want to get to ~12% to lean it out. I started doing starting strength a few months back and I plan to keep going while dieting, not that I think it's going to help much. Assuming I lose 3lbs of fat for every lb of muscle, I'd probably be able to reach my goal if I can keep it up. How badly would I fuck my body up doing this? (I'm doing it anyway, but it would be nice to know in advance)

KillerBEA

I switch between Rear Delt Flyes, and Band Pull Aparts right now for Rear Delts. I do sets of 15-30 in between Bench Press and Overhead Press sets. So volume is dictated by how much pressing I am doing. This also means I am doing it 3 times a week. Do the same thing with Hammer Curls.

Face pulls are pretty good too, that made up 99% of my Rear Delt training last year.

theytookourjobz

I've been eating 800 calories and 90g of protein a day for the past three weeks now, would it be safe to keep this up for three months? I'm 5'9'' 160lbs right now, skinnyfat as fuck and probably at 20%-25% body fat or some shit like that. My face is bloated and very subhuman right now and I want to get to ~12% to lean it out. I started doing starting strength a few months back and I plan to keep going while dieting, not that I think it's going to help much. Assuming I lose 3lbs of fat for every lb of muscle, I'd probably be able to reach my goal if I can keep it up. How badly would I fuck my body up doing this? (I'm doing it anyway, but it would be nice to know in advance)

Don't fuck your metabolism up by eating 800 calories a day. Just be patient and as a newbie you'll lean out while building a little but of muscle. If you continue down the crash diet path, you could do some long term hormonal damage.

lenovox1

Don't fuck your metabolism up by eating 800 calories a day. Just be patient and as a newbie you'll lean out while building a little but of muscle. If you continue down the crash diet path, you could do some long term hormonal damage.

Not to mention the eating disorder/mental disorder path.

1800-2000 calories a day is healthy at your height and weight, idar247. You'll be at your target in no time.

Let me put it this way, if you put less than 1400 calories into myfitnesspal app, it wont even register a weight loss estimation, it will tell you to eat more.

5'9" and 160 lbs, doesn't matter what your body fat is, you get best results by putting on muscle, it's just math. The more lean mass you have, the less % of your body is fat. Plus the more lean mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest (aka your base metabolic rate goes up).

If you get decently muscular and have low body fat, you will weigh about 180lbs. So you shouldn't be trying to lose weight at this point.

mdsfx

I agree that putting on muscle will help, but 180lbs with low body fat at 5'9" is fucking ripped and and years away from 160 at 20%BF. I'm 5'9" 155 and, although I'm no body builder, I look muscular.

this_guy

Are you guys fans of MyProtein? They have an 11 lb bag for like $63. I have a 6.3 lb bag from Costco of ON protein, but it costs $60.

Edit: I know one of the MyProtein is rated very highly on the lab testing.

I've bought their 11 pound bag twice so I'm happy with them. The cinnamon roll flavor is delicious.

Chorazin

Hit a trail today, a muddy, raining, and rocky mile up (then a mile down of course!) with 7600 feet of elevation wearing a 40lb ruck. And yesterday was leg training. Would have done more but had limited time.

Ouch. Definitely going back next week! 😂

ldar247

Banned
5'9" and 160 lbs, doesn't matter what your body fat is, you get best results by putting on muscle, it's just math. The more lean mass you have, the less % of your body is fat. Plus the more lean mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest (aka your base metabolic rate goes up).

If you get decently muscular and have low body fat, you will weigh about 180lbs. So you shouldn't be trying to lose weight at this point.

I'd just go from skinnyfat to borderline chubby if I bulked now. That's like the exact opposite of what I want. I just want to get as lean as possible as fast as possible so my facial bones are more well defined and I can start booking surgery consultations. I was planning on eventually going on a lean bulk over the span of a year or two, but only after I've gotten rid of my facial fat (and while B&Cing test and tren so as to minimize fat gain). Having a human looking face is much more important than a muscular body. The former is literally everything while the later can only halo a subhuman face so much.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'd just go from skinnyfat to borderline chubby if I bulked now. That's like the exact opposite of what I want. I just want to get as lean as possible as fast as possible so my facial bones are more well defined and I can start booking surgery consultations. I was planning on eventually going on a lean bulk over the span of a year or two, but only after I've gotten rid of my facial fat (and while B&Cing test and tren so as to minimize fat gain). Having a human looking face is much more important than a muscular body. The former is literally everything while the later can only halo a subhuman face so much.

Lean bulking would kill two birds with one stone. Being on the novice end of weightlifting your body will be capable of rapidly building a base of muscle and slim down at the same time. I would take advantage of that instead of crash dieting and finding yourself ten to twenty pounds lighter but with the same bodyfat composition (basically looking the same just smaller)

Ultryx

I've bought their 11 pound bag twice so I'm happy with them. The cinnamon roll flavor is delicious.

Good to hear. I'm going to buy an 11 lb bag from them when my Optimum Nutrition one starts getting low, or I'll keep an eye out for another sale. I almost bought the bag now because they're running a deal where you get 0.5 lbs of Creatine free with that purchase. I don't think I'm quite ready for Creatine yet though haha.

mdsfx

Psycho seems to be on a trecherous mountain biking "marathon" of some sort, I'm guessing over multiple days, crossing almost the entire country of Wales from North to south. What a f****** monster...

Hey guys, first post in here. I appreciate any help you guys can give, and hope to frequent this thread. It's time I make change in my life.

Height: 6ft tall
Weight: 411 pounds
Goal: Lose 100 pounds in 2017
Current Training Schedule: I do nothing
Current Training Equipment Available: Access to the YMCA which has a full gym, cardio room, track, swimming pool, and basketball courts. Waling treadmill at my house.

Background about my weight and mentality:
So I've battled obesity my entire life. I was the largest kid in every single one of my classes. I don't think I've ever even met someone who outweighed me. I suffered some verbal abuse from my father because of it, and it would only add to the problem. He was very old school and a rough, stubborn man. His idea of "lighting a fire" under me did the exact opposite - I don't respond to tough love at all. It's definitely left me slightly damaged, and just about ruined our relationship. He passed away in October, and I went through some tough times because of it.

Strangely he was really the only one that I ever had a real problem with as far as bullying. For starters, I try to be caring and kind - a gentle giant if you would. My exterior won't win anyone over, so I do rely on my personality quite a bit. In my humble opinion carry my weight really well in the sense that I don't look like a 400+ pound person in my opinion. The few people that I've told my true weight to have been shocked that I tip the scales at what I do.

Additionally, I played football throughout high school. I am familiar with the basics in weight lifting and exercise. My max bench press was 225 pounds and my max squat was 455 pounds back when I was 18 years old. After my football career came to an end though, I stopped lifting entirely. I'd imagine I'd have a tough time lifting half of that today. Cardio was always my downfall, and it definitely is still today. I simply HATE it. Again, when I was 18, I worked my tail off to be able to run a 9 minute mile. Today, I'd imagine it'd be a struggle to go a mile in any capacity. It's been a really long time since I've tried jogging. I know that I can exercise and my form will be safe and correct - I just don't know how much I can do.

Diet and current weight loss progress:
At the beginning of my post, I noted that I weigh in today at 411 pounds and I want to drop 100 pounds this year. On January 3rd, I weighed in at 444 pounds. So I've lost 33 pounds this year, and it's been accomplished entirely by changing my diet. I basically try to restrict calories to around 2000 a day, and eat less carbs. I have not exercised at all to accomplish this weight loss. I have fallen off the wagon a few times, but I've really tried very hard to change my eating habits. I don't really know what to eat though. Despite the weight loss, I feel like I still eat kind of bad, and would love to get some tips as to what to eat in order to increase weight loss. For example, I'll eat two Lean Pockets and diet Coke for lunch. It's 520 calories and I'll count it as such, but I know this can't actually be good for me. I'm looking to do better.

Questions for GAF:
What should I do in the gym?
Nutrition tips? How many calories should I be consuming?
I'm interested in potentially swimming for cardio.. thoughts on that?
Any and all tips are welcome

I'm hitting the gym starting Monday morning. Looking forward to hearing from you guys before then!

Had my first session at the orangetheory gym that opened near my house. Nearly passed out a couple times so I had to stop a few times to gather myself. It's hard for me to not be competitive with the people around me, so I find I have to focus on myself and just do the "slow and steady" thing. Anyway today my legs are on fire.

Also this last week I can hardly eat. It feels like the eating disorder I had back in high school. What the fuck you guys.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Questions for GAF:
Any and all tips are welcome

I'm hitting the gym starting Monday morning. Looking forward to hearing from you guys before then!

As someone who went from 320 lbs to 185-190 i think i could helpyou out a bit.

Do the Workout in the OP or stronglifts 5x5. Lifting heavy weights is the most important for body recomposition. The body responds very well to heavy poundages and there is not better way to tax the body than with compound lifts.

I found through personal experience that doing heavy compound lifts in the 4-6 rep range really changes the body and helped me a lot with lose skin which usually happens when you start to lose a ton of weight. You can pretty much fix lose skin issues by going down in body fat percentage and adding mass to your frame.

It seems that you already have a background to lifting heavy for football which should help you out tremendously since you probably already have the form locked down.

Typically set a calorie goal based around your body weight goal. Typically when you are heavier you can go on a more aggressive cut because the body will use the excess fat storage as energy expenditure and you will not got as hungry.

Best tip I can give you is to start using myfitnesspal and buy a a food scale. When you really dial in your macros you will start to see changes extremely fast especially when you are new to weight lifting as well.

You can still cheat once a week and what not but in order to hit your macros you will probably have to eat clean 80-90% of the time.

I think that is a really good idea but you have to have good form in the water though. Typically when you are bigger you should be swimming or using an elliptical machine. Something that will not put too much pressure on your joints which can be hurt do to the excess weight. As you start lowering your bodyfat you can add different forms of cardio.

Biggest takeaway is that diet is everything. it is probably 90% of how you look. You should still train hard but diet is key.

Get food Scale and use my fitness pal

Do heavy compounds lifts 3x a week.

Congratulations on your first step to your new goal in life. We are here to help you if you have any more questions.

TheFlow

Banned
]5'9" and 160 lbs[/B], doesn't matter what your body fat is, you get best results by putting on muscle, it's just math. The more lean mass you have, the less % of your body is fat. Plus the more lean mass you have, the more calories you burn at rest (aka your base metabolic rate goes up).

Holy cow this made me feel fat. I am 5'10 at 215.

SeanR1221

Operation slowly increase calories and add in 1-2 cheat meals a week has been a success. Maintaining my exact weight I stopped at and I even had Chinese food last night 😎

Top Bottom