• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
I didn't think bodyweight training could get people very strong in the same way as heavy weights. Or am I just misunderstanding? Is lifting heavy the definitive way to go to pack on strength and muscle while bodyweight training is helpful but doesn't give as much return as heavy lifting?

You are bit misunderstood. If you want size and strength then nothing beats the compound lifts.

Bodyweight exercises will give you a ridiculous amount of strength but in other areas of the body such as forearms, grip, wrist, abs. The muscles are worked but in order to really progress in bodyweight exercises you have to be lean. You will never see some fat dude on the rings doing muscle ups and what not.

Bodyweight is a lot more depedent on well your bodyweight, the leaner you are the easier it will be to progress onto other exercises. The more you weight the harder it will be. It seems with even just a few pounds the exercises become exponentially harder.

vypek

You are bit misunderstood. If you want size and strength then nothing beats the compound lifts.

Bodyweight exercises will give you a ridiculous amount of strength but in other areas of the body such as forearms, grip, wrist, abs. The muscles are worked but in order to really progress in bodyweight exercises you have to be lean. You will never see some fat dude on the rings doing muscle ups and what not.

Bodyweight is a lot more depedent on well your bodyweight, the leaner you are the easier it will be to progress onto other exercises. The more you weight the harder it will be. It seems with even just a few pounds the exercises become exponentially harder.

Thanks for the explanation and clarification :)

Just a bit of my journey. As of August 2016, I used to weigh 215 pounds. I am 5 11. So quite obese, and without any significant muscle mass. I kind of let my body go downhill. I am 34 years old, married with 2 children.

I decided that I had to change , since I was having some issues with my weight, like snoring at night and feeling tired. I used to lift on my 20s, but with life I just had "no time". However, you have to find time to get healthier for yourself and your family.

I started going to the gym in August 2016. I changed my diet, and I was lifting 5 to 6 days a week. My sessions usually last 60 min, and when I am working out, I do it the right away, focused with no chit chatting​.
This is how I look 10 months later. My weight is down to 185 pounds , and I put on a decent amount of muscle. I did no cardio, just changed the diet and lift heavy. I still drink alcohol once or twice a week, have one cheat day a week where I eat burgers, ice cream. I am feeling great , and now I enjoy working out.

In the beginning is hard guys, buy you can do it
Once you start seeing results , you​ keep going. No need for crazy diets ,just try to eat more protein, less sugar and candy, and do some activity.

Let's lift guys

PS: I am not looking for a 6 pack. It is so much work guys, not in the gym but in the kitchen lol. I like to eat and drink too much, so I accepted the fact that I might never have a decent 6 pack , and I ok with that.i am lifting more because I enjoy and to stay healthy. Do exercise for whatever reason, health, looks, etc, but do something . You only have one body, keep it healthy

l9uATo1.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Just a bit of my journey. As of August 2016, I used to weigh 215 pounds. I am 5 11. So quite obese, and without any significant muscle mass. I kind of let my body go downhill. I am 34 years old, married with 2 children.

I decided that I had to change , since I was having some issues with my weight, like snoring at night and feeling tired. I used to lift on my 20s, but with life I just had "no time". However, you have to find time to get healthier for yourself and your family.

I started going to the gym in August 2016. I changed my diet, and I was lifting 5 to 6 days a week. My sessions usually last 60 min, and when I am working out, I do it the right away, focused with no chit chatting​.
This is how I look 10 months later. My weight is down to 185 pounds , and I put on a decent amount of muscle. I did no cardio, just changed the diet and lift heavy. I still drink alcohol once or twice a week, have one cheat day a week where I eat burgers, ice cream. I am feeling great , and now I enjoy working out.

Once you start seeing results , you​ keep going. No need for crazy diets ,just try to eat more protein, less sugar and candy, and do some activity.

Let's lift guys

PS: I am not looking for a 6 pack. It is so much work guys, not in the gym but in the kitchen lol. I like to eat and drink too much, so I accepted the fact that I might never have a decent 6 pack , and I ok with that.i am lifting more because I enjoy and to stay healthy. Do exercise for whatever reason, health, looks, etc, but do something . You only have one body, keep it healthy

http://i.imgur.com/l9uATo1.jpg[][/QUOTE]

How does your significant other feel about the transformation? Awesome job!

How does your significant other feel about the transformation? Awesome job!

She was the reason I started doing this, she changed her diet and was looking great, and I was feeling bad because she takes care of both kids and wakes up everyday 5am to work out. Even with her busy schedule she finds time, so I had to find time for me as well. She is a great motivation

KillerBEA

Tried Meadow Rows for ghe first time tonight. I like it more than some of the other variations I have been playing with lately. Definitely my favorite unilateral row.

Let's lift guys

l9uATo1.jpg
Great job, and thanks for sharing! I always tell people that you can always find time to make yourself better even if you think you don't have the time.

I am quite interested in the fact that you did no cardio and you have a cheat day. Makes me feel more confident now that I've cut 40% off my running that I might still be able to maintain or achieve a body like yours.

Your stomach looks a bit like what mine looks now, so I guess I'll post this question for everyone:

Is it really hard to get abs?

Great job, and thanks for sharing! I always tell people that you can always find time to make yourself better even if you think you don't have the time.

I am quite interested in the fact that you did no cardio and you have a cheat day. Makes me feel more confident now that I've cut 40% off my running that I might still be able to maintain or achieve a body like yours.

Your stomach looks a bit like what mine looks now, so I guess I'll post this question for everyone:

Is it really hard to get abs?

The main issue with abs is that you need a low fat %. If you lift and do a lot of compound movements , some people say you don't even need to do any ab exercises, or maybe once a week. So exercising to get a 6 pack is not the main issue since you can have it by doing abs exercise only once a week, the issue is dropping the fat so they are apparent. Like in my case, not in this picture , but I have a bit of abs in the upper portion, but nothing on the lower portion where I have more fat. I think I would have to lose at least 10 pounds of fat to have 100% visible abs, and I am not in the mood to do that 😂😂

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think bodyweight training could get people very strong in the same way as heavy weights. Or am I just misunderstanding? Is lifting heavy the definitive way to go to pack on strength and muscle while bodyweight training is helpful but doesn't give as much return as heavy lifting?

Most people who try lifting weights don't actually get very strong in the grand scheme of things. While the ceiling is definitely higher with external weights, you can still get very, very strong with body weight training. Body weight training is also, in general, a lot safer than loading up external weights, and since you are really using your whole body, you will achieve a more balanced strength than someone who just uses weights.

Honestly, you should do both if you want really functional and practical strength.

So what's the best resource for learning proper deadlift form?

I just started today (I've been working out forever but avoided them due to not knowing how) but my outer thigh really hurts now and I'm not sure that's normal. I feel it must be an error with my form.

TheBear

I just started today (I've been working out forever but avoided them due to not knowing how) but my outer thigh really hurts now and I'm not sure that's normal. I feel it must be an error with my form.

Have you looked into Starting Strength?

The main issue with abs is that you need a low fat %. If you lift and do a lot of compound movements , some people say you don't even need to do any ab exercises, or maybe once a week. So exercising to get a 6 pack is not the main issue since you can have it by doing abs exercise only once a week, the issue is dropping the fat so they are apparent. Like in my case, not in this picture , but I have a bit of abs in the upper portion, but nothing on the lower portion where I have more fat. I think I would have to lose at least 10 pounds of fat to have 100% visible abs, and I am not in the mood to do that 😂😂
Have you tried running? It'll make you drop weight like crazy, but then I guess it'll mess up with all the muscle building you've been doing.

I honestly don't have anywhere where I can do ab exercises, so I guess I need to shake up my routine, I think what I've been doing is quite stale and none of them have compound movements.

Have you tried running? It'll make you drop weight like crazy, but then I guess it'll mess up with all the muscle building you've been doing.

I honestly don't have anywhere where I can do ab exercises, so I guess I need to shake up my routine, I think what I've been doing is quite stale and none of them have compound movements.

I know, but I don't want to interfere with muscle building and I HATE cardio. I like to party too much to have a six pack

starting strength but it's also good to get online coaching for a session or two so they can give you feedback on your form.

Have you looked into Starting Strength?

Never have but will now! Thanks!

One more question for you all since you all are so much smarter than me: I'm getting back into doing 4 lifting days plus cardio days twice a week. I also do 3 1 minute planks 3 days a week.

Will this help me lose some of the pesky belly fat? I definitely see progress in my muscles but the fat is stubborn. I eat pretty good but love beer. I would say currently fat loss is more important to me than muscle growth, but lifting just feels too good and cardio makes me sad.

One more question for you all since you all are so much smarter than me: I'm getting back into doing 4 lifting days plus cardio days twice a week. I also do 3 1 minute planks 3 days a week.

Will this help me lose some of the pesky belly fat? I definitely see progress in my muscles but the fat is stubborn. I eat pretty good but love beer. I would say currently fat loss is more important to me than muscle growth, but lifting just feels too good and cardio makes me sad.
you need to be eating at a caloric deficit over a period of time to lose fat. it doesn't sound like you are. you should start counting calories with myfitness pal.

sphinx

the piano man
look at this fatty mcfat, thought I was "bulking" smh

Better than my perma bulk fat ass

but you guys are reasonably big-framed dudes, absence of abs doesn't look that bad on you cause there's traps/arms/solid frame to counter whatever fat you've got on you. needless to say, leaner is better for aesthetics, no argument there.

for a dude 5'6 that hovers around 154 lbs like me, there's sadly no upside to an extended "bulk". Pudge and fat coupled with little arms and narrow frame = "lol fuck no, backpedal immediately"

oh well, I am not very far from reaching a decent shirtless status now.

Pixeluh

I complained the other day about having a hard time squatting 95lbs for 5x5, well.....

Last night I did 5x5 for 100lbs!!! Yay!!! I'm 5lbs away from my body weight and that is a big goal for me!

There is also nothing wrong if they want to take it or if it helps them get an extra boost in the gym.

My concern then is that the stuff may make them not take the proper amount of rest between sets thus beating themselves up and hampering progression. Also they may use it as a crutch to get them through a work out they didn't recover properly from previously. The stuff is just a bunch of caffeine. Maybe using it for some motivation once in a blue moon on days you don't wanna exercise wont get you stuck, but I think most people end up use it as crutch. I think discouraging the use of bad and gimmicky fitness products is a good idea. Especially in an industry where there is so much of them and so many people end up focusing on stuff like this instead of perfecting their actual training. They're only doing themselves and their program a great disservice.

It's also fairly irrelevant, given most of the ingredients have very little impact on that particular workout. I take my blend every single day as most things like creatine / beta alanine etc aren't instant acting.

You sure as hell don't have to do anything after taking it. In reality you're talking about the same instant effect as a couple of cups of coffee alongside some pins and needles.

but you guys are reasonably big-framed dudes, absence of abs doesn't look that bad on you cause there's traps/arms/solid frame to counter whatever fat you've got on you. needless to say, leaner is better for aesthetics, no argument there.

for a dude 5'6 that hovers around 154 lbs like me, there's sadly no upside to an extended "bulk". Pudge and fat coupled with little arms and narrow frame = "lol fuck no, backpedal immediately"

oh well, I am not very far from reaching a decent shirtless status now.

gotta disagree with you on this one, in that pic, I just look sloppy. My end of bulk this year looks much better and even then, I should have been more disciplined.

My concern then is that the stuff may make them not take the proper amount of rest between sets thus beating themselves up and hampering progression. Also they may use it as a crutch to get them through a work out they didn't recover properly from previously. The stuff is just a bunch of caffeine. Maybe using it for some motivation once in a blue moon on days you don't wanna exercise wont get you stuck, but I think most people end up use it as crutch. I think discouraging the use of bad and gimmicky fitness products is a good idea. Especially in an industry where there is so much of them and so many people end up focusing on stuff like this instead of perfecting their actual training. They're only doing themselves and their program a great disservice.

I agree with you in that many people do use supplements as a crutch as opposed to using them to enhance your workout. But not all preworkouts are the same. Some are nothing but caffeine and sugar but there are some that can help increase endurance and help you achieve a greater pump. Much like anything you put in your body, you should know why you are doing so as opposed to just doing it because someone said you should.

I'm not familiar with every pre workout formula but what I'm talking about are the ones that are like a five hour energy.

When I take creatine it's just the pure powder mixed in with whatever I'm drinking at the moment

I can strip my argument down further and just say that I think making a habit out of having a bunch of caffeine before training is not a good idea for most people.

sphinx

the piano man
You've always been there.

:D hey man, how are you? haven't seen you in a while here.

Brolic already said he prefers to lurk, so now I gotta ask: cooter, are you there? hellou?

gotta disagree with you on this one, in that pic, I just look sloppy. My end of bulk this year looks much better and even then, I should have been more disciplined.

oh absolutely, you look much better now.

after all these years, would you say learning about the eating part is harder than learning about program planning/hitting the gym?

I sure do, it's sooo easy to be sloppy with the food, I have come a long ago in terms of nutrition knowledge but I still have sooo much to learn...

I remember what I used to eat as part of my "serious diet" and think "what the fuck was I doing..." I mean, it's ok to eat "bad" stuff but that's called cheating that's not part of a plan lol, that shouldn't happen very often... and the quantities, damn that's a bulk as dirty as It could be lol. no regrets but I am glad I changed some habits for good.

just reducing sodium and sugar and including a breakfast with fiber.. that has done A TON for my body, I feel light, no headaches, no symptoms of high pressure at all. substantially reduced gut, not feeling tired entering the gym.

Adding to what Widdle Puppy said, you can't spot reduce, and I think the abdomen area's usually the last place to lose fat. You'll just have to be on a consistent calorie deficit to lose fat while lifting heavy to preserve muscle.

Also, those narrow underhand grip pulldowns. They really hit your lats big time!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, just came back from the doctor. The past few weeks, something went wrong and my elbow pain flared the fuck up. It was so bad that I had to schedule another appointment.

Good news is, she seems 99% positive that this issue has nothing to do with nerve damage like we previously thought (and spent nearly 3 months working on). We ran a few tests (again) and seems to think it's triceps tendinopathy. I don't know why my idiot physical therapist thought why it was a nerve issue since those are generally connected to numbness and tingling in the fingers (thankfully, none of which I had). In fact, this current doctor thinks that the nerve gliding exercises she prescribed to me, may have ended up aggravating any tears I already had (which would possibly explain the flare ups I had within the past few weeks).

Anyway, she prescribed me some anti-inflammatory medication (which I never tried before) and some muscle workouts to do a week afterwards, and see her again in three weeks. Hopefully, we have the CORRECT diagnosis this time, and I will finally be healed.

Question: any of you guys taken anti-inflammatory meds before for muscle tears/strains? Have they helped?

Does pretty much continuous vitamin I count?

(Ibuprofen)

I try to avoid it when I can, but I get injured a LOT. Sometimes it's the only thing that'll fix it as you need to reduce the swelling to stop further impingement.

Does pretty much continuous vitamin I count?

(Ibuprofen)

I try to avoid it when I can, but I get injured a LOT. Sometimes it's the only thing that'll fix it as you need to reduce the swelling to stop further impingement.

It's pretty effective for a lot of these types of injuries but I'd be weary of taking too much. That plus when the pack says to take it with food make sure you follow that advice especially if you're taking a lot of it.

ShowDog

Fitness-GAF, it’s been a damn long time. I hope to participate for more than 3 posts this go around. Been working out for awhile and wanted to share some shit! Progress post time to introduce myself. I wish I had more pics, like from when I started, but I don’t.

Basics:
31 years old, 5’10, in 4 months 172lbs -> 200lbs -> 180lbs (Had to be a lot of water weight variations in here too)
My own silly routine (needs more squats)
Monday: Lunchtime hit shoulder accessories and biceps on the dual cable machine at work
After dinner hit Push at home on the power rack, typically starting with incline bench 5x5, flat bench 5x5, incline db, incline db fly, skullcrushers, sometimes mixing in land mines too. When I was bulking throw in deadlifts at the end.
Wednesday: Lunchtime hit shoulder accessories and triceps on the dual cable machine at work
After dinner hit Pull at home on the power rack, typically starting with pull-ups, t-bar rows, bent over rows, Romanian deadlifts, curls.
Friday: Full body workout at the fitness center for my neighborhood, starting with squats at home on the rack.

Main lifts at bulking peak: Incline bench 205x8, flat bench 245x1, ohp 145x3, squat 225x8, deadlift 285x5

February, 2017. 30 year old me isn’t in very good shape. Not a whole lot of muscle and no definition, although I generally have a bigger upper body build than the average person I guess. Probably 20% body fat at least. Weighed about 172 pounds. Decided to clean up my garage enough to get to my weight equipment and start working out 2-3 times a week and take it seriously when my cousins gym got shut down, he joined me. At first I just wanted to “get in a little better shape” but about 3 weeks in I decided I needed to become a big bruising monster, because of course I do.

*no pics

March, 2017. I increase my calorie intake dramatically, stop intermittent fasting (I’d always went without food between dinner and lunch since my teens, not for any particular reason except I’d get hungrier if I ate breakfast), start taking creatine and citrulline daily, and lift really hard 3 days a week. Got way stronger from here.

*no pics

May, 2017. After dinner before a workout, I weighed in at 200 pounds with my clothes and shoes on. Luckily, most of the fat gain is on my gut and midsection so I feel pretty yoked when I’m wearing clothes compared to where I was. Arms, back, shoulders, chest all got bigger. Legs got bigger too but nothing too drastic there as they weren’t as much of a focus. Anyways, hitting 200 kinda freaked me out and it was time to cut back down to a lower body fat before bulking again. Starting my bulk at 20% body fat and doing it so quickly wasn’t the best strategy, obviously. Time to Keto cut.

Me at 200. I’m definitely “sucking in”

June, 2017. 4 weeks on a keto cut, weigh about 180 clothed after dinner. Definitely lost some muscle but still have way more than when I started. Feel a bit deflated though, and motivation to work out isn’t as great. Routine has suffered a bit. Even lost motivation to keep taking supplements on a daily basis, although I’m sure they’d help more on a cut. I got some glutamine, bcaa and beta alanine to add to the mix but I haven’t figured out a good dosing on that. I wrapped up the cut after I took this pic even though I still had a decent way to go, it was pretty aggressive. I'm going to try some light body recomposition from here and see where it takes me.

Me at 180. Still “sucking in”

Now I want to incorporate more squat, deadlifts and cardio into the routine while ending the cut and eating more “responsibly”.

Aaaaaaahhh my new workplace has a 24-hour access fitness center I'm so excited to use it after every shift as long as I'm not a tired piece of shit after 12 hours

lenovox1

What are some good workouts for home that dont require equipment that builds up stamina and strength?

There's this extremely popular fitness couple on YouTube that run a channel called FitnessBlender. All of their content from their workout plans to their videos are completely free. It's all Pilates and circuit training workouts with workouts of varying lengths, so it's exactly what you seem to be looking for.

If that isn't for you, yoga is my go-to if I want a hard work out with no weights.

And it is international yoga day. There's absolutely a yoga studio near you that is giving away free classes as I type.

Now I want to incorporate more squat, deadlifts and cardio into the routine while ending the cut and eating more “responsibly”.

You look great, BTW, and you seem to know what your body needs.

Mediking

There's this extremely popular fitness couple on YouTube that run a channel called FitnessBlender. All of their content from their workout plans to their videos are completely free. It's all Pilates and circuit training workouts with workouts of varying lengths, so it's exactly what you seem to be looking for.

If that isn't for you, yoga is my go-to if I want a hard work out with no weights.

And it is international yoga day. There's absolutely a yoga studio near you that is giving away free classes as I type.

Wow! Thanks! Gonna look deeper into this.

Top Bottom