• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
It's worth checking where your insertion points are before spending a massive amount of time on them. If you have high insertion points they'll pretty much never look big, no matter what you do.
Hmmm. I must have high insertion points. I killed them for nearly a year and no size. Yeah, they got a little stronger but it wasn't worth all the time and effort.

Teggy

No smith

There’s a number of machines but for legs I guess just a leg curl machine

And there’s one of those adjustable height dual pulley cages...

Well I guess the best you can do there is dumbbell calf raises. Bunch of different ones, check YouTube.

Raxus

Friendly reminder to embrace your calveslessness.

Totally a word.

If I burn my calves until they are on fire and they still don't develop I am going to be pissed.

On a side note I dunno how far I should push myself starting out. Right now I am just going to exhaustion and just playing things by ear on my workouts but I feel I can go higher weight while maintaining relatively high (8-10) reps. What should I do?

Gurrry

My back has been hurting for like a week now, and I have a weird rash under my arm. Its kept me from working for over 7 days now.

I feel like shit.

Ixian

Day 8. Down 4 lbs. Strength is coming back. Cuts coming back. Dis shit be too easy.
Pretty sure you two jinxed me with your 60 days talk, today was day 62 for me and I had some pretty gnarly hunger pangs. Ended up snacking on a bunch of pickles and jalapenos so now I feel super bloated, but I'm just trying to stay the course till this weekend since we're going to Austin City Limits and I'm planning on cutting loose a little.

Cooter

Pretty sure you two jinxed me with your 60 days talk, today was day 62 for me and I had some pretty gnarly hunger pangs. Ended up snacking on a bunch of pickles and jalapenos so now I feel super bloated, but I'm just trying to stay the course till this weekend since we're going to Austin City Limits and I'm planning on cutting loose a little.
Impressive either way. Gotta be in a positive state of mind right now. Achieving such dicipline always enhances other areas of my life.

You realise pickles / jalapeños have next to no calories right? Unless you guys pickle them in tons of sugar.

Plus, vinegar is good for you, and chillies ramp up your resting metabolism. :)

Huge difference. It's even morso for endurance as you're dealing with pain over ridiculously long periods, and you HAVE to have your mental game on point or you'll be losing anywhere up to 20% of your total capabilities.

(Congrats btw)

Ixian

You realise pickles / jalapeños have next to no calories right? Unless you guys pickle them in tons of sugar.

Plus, vinegar is good for you, and chillies ramp up your resting metabolism. :)
I know, that's why I snack on them. :) The bloated feeling was mostly because my stomach is smaller from not eating much the past two months, so I had a little food baby going on.

IMO hardest part of dieting isn't hunger since that's temporary, it tends to be more how it affects my mood. I hate when my immediate reaction to something is annoyance or irritation and having to prevent myself from expressing it. It also makes me wonder how many people are crabby in day-to-day life due to how they eat without realizing it.

mdsfx

Did Mike run the marathon???
Maybe :)

Goal 1: finish
Goal 2: never stop running
Goal 3: under 4 hours

Accomplished them all.

It was hot as hell from miles 13 on. I gave up on keeping an 8:45/mi or faster pace due to heat, but when I saw the "1 mile left" sign and looked at my watch, I was 8min30sec away from hitting 4 hours and I rang myself out with whatever I had left until the end, making it by less than 30 seconds.

Oh no is this your 24+hour race??

Yup, and the way it's laid out, if I don't go fast enough, there wont be anywhere to get food (they'll be closed by the time I get there).

Basically just three places to stop (realistically), and I'm going to have to avoid going too fast for risk of burning through energy too quickly.... but go too slow, and I'll be forced to go without food (or carry my entire 24 hours worth from the start).

Going to be one of the strangest ones I've done.

mdsfx

That seems dangerous. Do you bring a bunch of energy gels/chews? Seems like you need a brick of carbs to munch on. What do you take with you?

It kinda is as a general rule to be honest. Not so much the single day ones, but the ones that go over 2 or 3 can lead people into pushing themselves way too far past their limits.

As for what I'd carry on something like this, it's as much about calorie density as anything. Real food is great (eventually you have to have something as your body will stop letting you eat crap), but you'll generally carry a ton of gels, nuts, sweets etc.

I would normally make stuff out of here, but I flat out wont have time this week before I go: https://feedzonecookbook.com/portables/

I wont carry enough calories for 24 hours, but I almost certainly will carry enough caffeine to kill a horse. I'll put away dangerous amounts of it, but when your body is running hot like that, you can deal with more than you'd think. I'll have it in the form of drink tablets, actual tablets, and chocolate coated coffee beans.

I reckon maybe 14 hours worth of food (which weighs a LOT), and hope that I can get to the shops in time. For water, I'll literally be pulling it from rivers whenever I run dry (probably every 3 to 4 hours).

BumRush

Maybe :)

Goal 1: finish
Goal 2: never stop running
Goal 3: under 4 hours

Accomplished them all.

It was hot as hell from miles 13 on. I gave up on keeping an 8:45/mi or faster pace due to heat, but when I saw the "1 mile left" sign and looked at my watch, I was 8min30sec away from hitting 4 hours and I rang myself out with whatever I had left until the end, making it by less than 30 seconds.

Yesssssss! Amazing job bud!

Just about fully back.

DL today:

135x10
225x8
275x6
315x5
365x4
405x3
425x3
455x3
475x2

At roughly 200 lbs? Fucking hell, bud. You strong.

Tuorom

Neo Member
If I solely care about hypertrophy... should I be doing drop sets to max out volume?

Then you want to increase the time under tension on the specific muscle, however you want to achieve that.

If you look at what bodybuilders do, they usually use lighter weights and really feel the muscle and keep it constantly tensed.

ACE 1991

Man my delts are starting to overpower my arms, and it's not for lack of arm volume (I have a ton at different rep ranges for both tris and bis). I've unquestionably added mass to my arms, but man it's hard to make 'em pop. One day! I'm running PHAT, which I absolutely love. It's time consuming but it's such a nice break from the grad school grind during the day (I'm at Carnegie Mellon University).

Also my bench shot up for no apparent reason. Did 205*6 easy peasy today, which is a new rep pr.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
So another good workout day, thankfully.

My only problem is that I'm starting to feel some annoying stress in my wrists while I'm lifting. Is there anything I can use to stabilize it?

Cooter

I'm so in the zone that yesterday I lifted at 4, finished at 5:30, had a shake and 2 quest bars, and then didn't eat until 11:45. lol It's amazing how you can condition your appetite.

Okay GAF I'm gonna try find a different weighing scales because this looks too good to be true and doesn't add up also a little inaccurate at the start

Basically I was 10.10 1/4 st last week which is 150 lbs
Body fat was 27.7
BMI was 30

I know to not trust weighing scales in them things too much

But when I first stepped on it got a heavier weight then the 2nd time I stepped on it it gave me 10.5 which was super good but at least somewhat believable for my first weeks workout

But after that every time I stepped on it I got the exact same weight no matter how I stood on it or where it was placed which was 10.3 1/4

I kept stepping in it over the hour and got the exact same weight

But here the part that doesn't make sense
It Says my Body fat only dropped to 27.6
But my BMI dropped a whole unit.29

Highly doubt I lost muscle since my diet has being healthy as ever and done a lot of excercise almost daily

I understand first week is common to lose more than the following weeks but 7 lbs is a little much

I shouldn't trust that right?

Edit: I think I got why
I think it's due to a lot of water retention I lost, which is a buzzkill as knowing I only lost .1% fat for the difference I did all week is disheartening

Ah well I see what it says next week

Also I am not on any diet I've just cut bad shit and ate healthier

Top Bottom