• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Possibly the wrong thread but does anyone here wear a fitness tracker? Thinking about getting a Microsoft band but there's too many options to tell if I should be looking at something else.

D

Deleted member 594614

Unconfirmed Member
Any suggestions on starting, again? I got a bench with leg attachment, 100lbs of plates, 2 15lb dumbell and 2 10's.

Last yeat from June to Oct I joined a gym, but like I am now..I had no idea what to do..so I a trainer twice a week.

I still have the membership, no trainer, but if I were to walk in their I wont have a clue what to do.

I havent touched anything in like 6 months but I want to get back into it. I'd rather brush the dust off at home before heading into the gym.

I'm like 6'1" and 140lbs so..Im not the strongest and its embarassing. Especially now since Ive been a lazy bitch for a few months.

I dont think I can do the massive gain attempt again eating a million meals a day. So I wanna eat at a normal pace, maybe increase in a while.

Also cardio, running etc.. my trainor told me not to do it. Never been on a treadmill/eleptical etc..

SeanR1221

Looking good Sean!

Thanks man!

It's 430am and I finally got a workout in. Life is so busy, I got home near midnight, fiance and I started working on the platform, drilled the holes and bolted the cage to the platform. Around 245 or 3am I started lifting, doing squats, and man my strength took a large hit. I managed 260x3 for 4 sets. Then switched to ohp and got 135x3 for 4 sets. Tomorrow I'll do bench and deadlift.

I'll need a baseline to start from, likely going to do SL 5x5 and eat like at a surplus for a month just to get myself back into things. Will start creatine again tonight.

We're finally on the way. I'll post pics of the home gym later, it looks cool but it's not anywhere near done.

Living the dream with the home set up, always cool to see what people put up in their homes.

The strength will come back surprisingly fast. I'm a believer that while there is strength loss there, I think the mental component of how weight feels has a larger effect when your numbers drop after a break

mdsfx

Overkill, in my opinion. Focus on keeping your abs tight / flexed during your lifts and you definitely won't need 3 days of abs.
I don't do any isolated abs/core. Not saying I have amazing abs, since they are certainly on the smaller side, but I just don't give a shit. I feel like my core gets hit pretty hard on some of my compounds including pull-ups.

Shoulder blade / whatever it is just completely went on a ride. Had to dose up like mad on co-codamol just to get through it. Concerningly, even though I've taken as much as I can take, it's still extremely painful.

Really fucking depressed. Looks like no weights or riding for quite some time.

mdsfx

Shoulder blade / whatever it is just completely went on a ride. Had to dose up like mad on co-codamol just to get through it. Concerningly, even though I've taken as much as I can take, it's still extremely painful.

Really fucking depressed. Looks like no weights or riding for quite some time.

Sorry to hear that man. I know you hate running psycho but... Maybe it's better than nothing?

ILoveBish

Awesome Bish! Glad you're getting back in the swing of things

Living the dream with the home set up, always cool to see what people put up in their homes.

The strength will come back surprisingly fast. I'm a believer that while there is strength loss there, I think the mental component of how weight feels has a larger effect when your numbers drop after a break

Thanks guys. I got such good rest today after lifting. Life is so much better.

So, after building up a little bit of base fitness with cardio, and I started using the weight training equipment not free weights, but the machines for specific motions (what is the name of that kind of equipment) and really loved it. That said, there were like 30 different kinds of machines, and I have no clue how to set up a routine.

Is there a book/guide/app for that? I'd like to record my sessions and track the info. :)

frontieruk

Only wish my running was improving this much :(

Ya4FjaH.jpg

So, after building up a little bit of base fitness with cardio, and I started using the weight training equipment not free weights, but the machines for specific motions (what is the name of that kind of equipment) and really loved it. That said, there were like 30 different kinds of machines, and I have no clue how to set up a routine.

Is there a book/guide/app for that? I'd like to record my sessions and track the info. :)
Are free weights available?

JoeNut

I'm like 6'1" and 140lbs so..Im not the strongest and its embarassing.

Also cardio, running etc.. my trainor told me not to do it. Never been on a treadmill/eleptical etc..

Yeah cardio sounds unnecessary if you're wanting to put weight and muscle on. That's light for your height!

Eat on a surplus, and try one of the programs in the OT Like starting strength or 5x5 strong lifts.

Carbonox

Went to my first fitness expo today (Bodypower in the UK) and it was a fun experience. Got a lot of free goodies, half of it shit I have no idea what the hell they do but hey ho. Will definitely go again next year. Meeting Rich Piana was uh...interesting.

M52B28

Banned
I cut about 3 lbs by going on my stricter diet.

Went from 230 lbs to 226.8 lbs. If I keep this diet and hit 3-4 times a week, I should be at my goal before September.

Finally back to the routine. Feels good.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So back in February of this year I started going to the gym regularly. I also changed my diet this time and started consuming a lot more calories and protein than I was before.
I'm 6'5. Started at 185lb (which I had been at since high school), and I'm now near 190lb (fluctuate between 189lb and 186lb depending on the day). My goal is to reach 200lb and then see how I feel at that weight.
This isn't a huge change, but the fact that it's a change at all is what I'm most happy about. For the longest time I thought my body wouldn't be able to gain muscle or become more "full", but it was mostly because I never ate enough for my frame.
Anyways, here's some before and current pictures.

Before:
oQuROv2.png

Current:
YWNAQMY.png

AeenBmH.png

You all have been great inspiration to keep going, so thanks FitGAF!!

There are but that part of the gym is way too intimidating for now. sticking to the machine area for now.
I would call them a necessity, tbh, not intimidating.

Without free weights you aren't going to build appropriate stabilizers which are, IMO, 100% needed.

Stick with a routine like Starting Strength and you'll be fine. You're not going to load up 400lbs on a bar and be expected to squat day 1.

Compound movements are crucial if you are just starting out. Machines won't teach you how to unrack a bar or even stabilize it when it's above you. You'll be at far greater risk of injury if you drop that sucker from not having the ability to stabilize through a movement and at far greater risk of tearing your shit up from trying to stabilize the bar if all you've done is machines.

They are a complete waste of time and I highly advise staying away from them. Even if all you want to do is a little bit of lifting casuallly, they are a poor substitute. If that's ALL you have and there is absolutely, 100% not a free weight in sight, then sure, they are better than nothing. But if you have free weights around, there's no real excuse.

We all started somewhere and started small, to boot. Pick a starter program like SS. Don't be intimidated. You'll be fine.

M52B28

Banned
In my case, the gym I go to is too small and gets crowded in the freeweight area. One this that frustrates me is that I can't do hang cleans and other olypic lifts without the high possibility of slapping someone with weights.

That said, I use the machines to do exercises I otherwise won't be able to do with free weights.

KillerBEA

Yeah cardio sounds unnecessary if you're wanting to put weight and muscle on. That's light for your height!

Eat on a surplus, and try one of the programs in the OT Like starting strength or 5x5 strong lifts.
I disagree about the cardio part. Doesn't have to be anything crazy but at least some form of cardio regardless of bulk or cut is a good idea. It strengthens your cardiovascular system which will increase your work capacity allowing you to do more when you actually need to do more.

Rur0ni

Finally got back into lifting a couple of months back and think I overdid it on the eating. Went from 173lb to 195lb in two months, lol. Though I was generally a light eater before, and I've added creatine.

Some stats and a few measurements from today:

Height: ~6'3
Wrist: 7" (confirmed ecto)
Hips: 40" (those squats)
Thighs: 25"
Waist: 34"
Shoulders: 47.25"

I can tell I'm a bit softer around the waist and lost some ab definition. On the plus side an extra 20lbs+ looks great on me at this height. Looking to get to 200lbs/10%. I bought the Accu-Measure caliper (just a few bucks). Surprisingly I'm measuring 13.7% body fat (suprailiac), and I always get that after multiple tries. I wouldn't say my abs are very visible like I would expect at that percentage, takes some flexing to see them as well.

1) Anyone using these calipers? Results accurate, trends as expected?
2) What are some good shoulder exercises? I was thinking Side and/or Rear Lateral Dumbbell Raises. Shoulder-to-Waist ratio is ~1.39 at the moment (47.25/34). Expecting the waist to drop with a combination of cardio and diet clean up over the next few weeks. Pushing for the ~1.618 ratio. I could see 50/31 or so making that happen.
3) Tips for increasing chin up strength? I'm stuck at 3x8 at the moment while my bodyweight has increased.

In my case, the gym I go to is too small and gets crowded in the freeweight area. One this that frustrates me is that I can't do hang cleans and other olypic lifts without the high possibility of slapping someone with weights.

That said, I use the machines to do exercises I otherwise won't be able to do with free weights.
Ask to work in. If you are just starting out you'll probably be sticking with stuff like squat, bench, overhead press, rows, etc. You won't be doing much that can slap anyone in the face and you won't be working for long.

The hardships of working in, waiting a moment, dealing with other folks at the gym, in general, far far FAR outweigh the cons of using machines.

Again, unless it's 100% unavoidable barring an act of nature - use free weights.

sphinx

the piano man

I think you'are doing very well cause you seem to be getting muscle without gaining much (if any) extra fat so that's great. Keep at it!

I would call them a necessity, tbh, not intimidating.

Without free weights you aren't going to build appropriate stabilizers which are, IMO, 100% needed.

Stick with a routine like Starting Strength and you'll be fine. You're not going to load up 400lbs on a bar and be expected to squat day 1.

Compound movements are crucial if you are just starting out. Machines won't teach you how to unrack a bar or even stabilize it when it's above you. You'll be at far greater risk of injury if you drop that sucker from not having the ability to stabilize through a movement and at far greater risk of tearing your shit up from trying to stabilize the bar if all you've done is machines.

They are a complete waste of time and I highly advise staying away from them. Even if all you want to do is a little bit of lifting casuallly, they are a poor substitute. If that's ALL you have and there is absolutely, 100% not a free weight in sight, then sure, they are better than nothing. But if you have free weights around, there's no real excuse.

We all started somewhere and started small, to boot. Pick a starter program like SS. Don't be intimidated. You'll be fine.

I will agree with this post. I can't possibly imagine going to the gym and not using stuff from FW.

Starting Strength, the book (digital or paperback) was a great purchase, it's a lot of text but reading how to perform the barbell moves was a big help.

I disagree about the cardio part. Doesn't have to be anything crazy but at least some form of cardio regardless of bulk or cut is a good idea. It strengthens your cardiovascular system which will increase your work capacity allowing you to do more when you actually need to do more.

and I also agree with this post.

as someone who has tried, 1)lots of cardio, 2)moderate cardio and 3)no cardio coupled with lifting at different points in 4 years, In terms of aesthetics, it does makes a difference, it's not huge but I look more"sporty" and less pudgy, if that makes sense. I also feel more awake, interestingly, probably cause cardio make me sleep like a baby?

Of course there are tons of variables like calories, stress, amount of rest and routine at the time but I'd say there's influence there.

ILoveBish

Got home late again, near midnight. Tried to fix the dryer, when I pull the vent hose, the gas turns on and stays on, but as soon as the vent hose is on, gas fires up for about 7 seconds then turns off.

I tried working on that for over an hour and got nowhere sadly, so I changed and started deadlifting. Thankfully my strength here is still solid. Did 315x5, 360x3 and missed my first attempt at 405x1, but got it second try with a really clean pull. For not having deadlifted for 2 months or more, that's pretty damn good.

Today was very good for me, confidence is coming back strong and I feel like I'm going to finally look like I wanted soon enough. Nothing is going to stop me anymore.

So... I need some advice.

Assuming that I really can't do any exercise for at least a couple of weeks (and it's looking that way)... what on earth should I do to try and reduce my strength / size losses as much as possible? Strength gains come EXTREMELY slowly for me, even when bulking, and I'd just started a cut (which had started badly enough with some large weight drops).

I'm thinking I should probably have my calorie intake just above maint so that my body isn't too quick to drop muscle. I guess I can deal with the fat gain later?

I really don't know. I'm assuming there must be advice out there for what to do when injured, but I'm not seeing anything obvious.

I doubt it. Right now I'm basically completely out of action. I can't even sleep without pretty significant pain (no pain free position I can find, front side or back).

BumRush

So... I need some advice.

Assuming that I really can't do any exercise for at least a couple of weeks (and it's looking that way)... what on earth should I do to try and reduce my strength / size losses as much as possible? Strength gains come EXTREMELY slowly for me, even when bulking, and I'd just started a cut (which had started badly enough with some large weight drops).

I'm thinking I should probably have my calorie intake just above maint so that my body isn't too quick to drop muscle. I guess I can deal with the fat gain later?

I really don't know. I'm assuming there must be advice out there for what to do when injured, but I'm not seeing anything obvious.

First off, sorry bud. I think you're approaching it the right way, eating above maintenance and avoiding anything that will put you at risk for aggravation. If it's 2-3 weeks off you really won't notice any muscle loss. If it's 4-6, you'll have to do some work to get back in the groove. Hope it's the former.

Milchjon

Am I right to assume that with the shape of my pecs I'm pretty much up to what my genes give me? Talking about form, not mass, of course.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I think you'are doing very well cause you seem to be getting muscle without gaining much (if any) extra fat so that's great. Keep at it!

Thanks! It seems that way, so I'm happy. I haven't been tracking my food very carefully, which would be useful. I've just been making sure to eat way more than I normal would.

TheFlow

Banned
If Unle iroh can do it
latest

so can I

almost done with my 3rd month in the gym! anime training montages are great motivation

Overkill, in my opinion. Focus on keeping your abs tight / flexed during your lifts and you definitely won't need 3 days of abs.

disagree 100% on you with this one. If you want beast abs, you gotta do abs. Same with arms, legs, traps, etc. Compounds can only take you so far. Isolation becomes key.

TheFlow

Banned
So back in February of this year I started going to the gym regularly. I also changed my diet this time and started consuming a lot more calories and protein than I was before.
I'm 6'5. Started at 185lb (which I had been at since high school), and I'm now near 190lb (fluctuate between 189lb and 186lb depending on the day). My goal is to reach 200lb and then see how I feel at that weight.
This isn't a huge change, but the fact that it's a change at all is what I'm most happy about. For the longest time I thought my body wouldn't be able to gain muscle or become more "full", but it was mostly because I never ate enough for my frame.
Anyways, here's some before and current pictures.

You all have been great inspiration to keep going, so thanks FitGAF!!
this is how I picture you looking by November
chris-evans-shirtless-captain-america.jpg

Oddly, my abs look a shitload better now (on and off a cut) that I just do compounds vs when I did a ton of dedicated ab work. I'd say my core strength is lower though.

mdsfx

disagree 100% on you with this one. If you want beast abs, you gotta do abs. Same with arms, legs, traps, etc. Compounds can only take you so far. Isolation becomes key.

I think the goal is what drives this. If you want to see your abs it's mostly diet. If you want thicker abs you need to work on them.

i should have mentioned i have an lumbar lordosis i've developed over the years. read it's weak core and possibly weak hamstring (or both).

just checking what i can do to help possibly fix that.

BumRush

Cooter, Mikey and I all posted that we don't do isolation abs exercises (I used to, but not 3x per week). You don't need to do 3 ab days to get killer abs FE.

TheFlow

Banned
Everybody has abs so just dropping down to a low enough Bodyfat percentage will show them off.

There is nothing wrong with doing abs 3x a week though.

If using weighted workouts treat them like every other muscle you workout with 2 days rest.

BumRush

Everybody has abs so just dropping down to a low enough Bodyfat percentage will show them off.

There is nothing wrong with doing abs 3x a week though.

There absolutely isn't anything wrong with it. All I said was it's overkill for dead prince (in my opinion).

Top Bottom