• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

Two Words

Is it better to flex my shoulders back when doing shoulder shrugs? I currently just make my shoulders go straight up and down, but I've seen some people flex them backwards. Is it better to shoulder shrug with dumbbells at my sides or a barbell behind my back?

I'm not telling you what you're thinking, I'm displaying your absolutely shitty fucking attitude towards Sean on exhibit in this thread.

You acted like a dick. Take the L and move on.
That's not my attitude. You disagree. Whatever, no point in keeping it going. Now stop trying to drag shit on that's been played out.

No Love

Banned
Is it better to flex my shoulders back when doing shoulder shrugs? I currently just make my shoulders go straight up and down, but I've seen some people flex them backwards. Is it better to shoulder shrug with dumbbells at my sides or a barbell behind my back?

A shrug is for traps, not shoulders. Never go backwards, only straight up and down. If using a barbell behind the back, you still only go up and down.

Speaking of gadgets... How's the Skulpt thingamajig going?

Between the injury and everything else I have going on right now, I've not even had a chance to look at it. Wanted my missus to give me a hand using it, but she's useless for never being around in the mornings..

Two Words

A shrug is for traps, not shoulders. Never go backwards, only straight up and down. If using a barbell behind the back, you still only go up and down.
I thought you put the barbell behind your back because it forces your shoulders back some. Is that incorrect? Maybe I got the anatomy wrong, but I thought that is what makes your traps flex more. I didn't mean to say push your shoulders back to work the shoulders, if that's what you thought I meant.

JCX

So I finally bought new jeans because the old ones were much too loose around the waist, even with a belt. The new ones are mostly comfortable, but much too tight around my thighs. I assume you all have this problem too, so where do you buy jeans from?

So I finally bought new jeans because the old ones were much too loose around the waist, even with a belt. The new ones are mostly comfortable, but much too tight around my thighs. I assume you all have this problem too, so where do you buy jeans from?

I switched to Levi's 541's and it's been life altering. More room in the thigh/ass, fits right everywhere else. If you squat, have a booty, and have any kind of quad/hamstrings at all, they work.

JCX

I switched to Levi's 541's and it's been life altering. More room in the thigh/ass, fits right everywhere else. If you squat, have a booty, and have any kind of quad/hamstrings at all, they work.

Thanks, I'll need to try these out. At the very least it's good to know all my squatting has not been in vain.

Szu

I thought you put the barbell behind your back because it forces your shoulders back some. Is that incorrect? Maybe I got the anatomy wrong, but I thought that is what makes your traps flex more. I didn't mean to say push your shoulders back to work the shoulders, if that's what you thought I meant.

I like to do behind the back barbell strugs too. However, I don't force my shoulders back. It might seem like that my shoulders are in the back position, but it's only at a slight angle. My range of motion is still up and down.

No, that was my mistake. I have dropped 15 and down to 160. I am only 5'5"

Cool. Macro-wise, check out IIFYM. It's not a tailored, customized plan, but it asks you what you're looking to do and goes from there. Then get something like My Fitness Pal and a small food scale. That helps.

Bottom line, you'll want to be looking at good lean proteins. Don't be scared of carbs or fat, but don't go for the mac and cheese :p

Thanks, I'll need to try these out. At the very least it's good to know all my squatting has not been in vain.

My pants started to get tighter as I deadlifted, but my weight always stayed the same. I realized that growing an ass makes things difficult when you own pants that aren't made with that in mind. They just...fit. And they're not bank breakers either.

Jackalanche.exe

If I walk in here asking how to properly take supplements X, y and z - and I get told not to worry about them because I don't need to take them, that means I shouldn't worry about them. I don't give a fuck if it's not answering my question.

I'm not here to validate what I THINK. I'm here to fucking learn.

So this bullshit:

Can get the fuck out.

You're a newbie to lifting and it's apparent as fucking hell by your questions. If people with XP in here tell you not to over think shit and not worry at this stage - then don't.

You don't have to take anyone's advice but this bullshit I quoted above? Come the fuck on.

The thread is "Fitness" not "Getting big and strong with Starting Strength". So people giving everyone the best advice to get big and strong is not necessarily the best advice for what that person is trying to achieve. Hard to believe, I know.

Your response was appropriate if it were in the squat thread -- guy asks why his squat is so weak, so tell him to get on Starting Strength.

But the guy comes in here saying he wants to cut fat -- i.e., that is specifically HIS GOAL -- in my opinion "you shouldn't be worrying about your bodyfat" is not a particularly helpful response. Which is nothing against Sean, he was just giving his opinion and trying to help the guy out. But I can see why the guy didn't see that response as helpful.

The thread is "Fitness" not "Getting big and strong with Starting Strength". So people giving everyone the best advice to get big and strong is not necessarily the best advice for what that person is trying to achieve. Hard to believe, I know.

Your response was appropriate if it were in the squat thread -- guy asks why his squat is so weak, so tell him to get on Starting Strength.

But the guy comes in here saying he wants to cut fat -- i.e., that is specifically HIS GOAL -- in my opinion "you shouldn't be worrying about your bodyfat" is not a particularly helpful response. Which is nothing against Sean, he was just giving his opinion and trying to help the guy out. But I can see why the guy didn't see that response as helpful.
Hey man.

Hey:

"I want to gain a moderate amount of muscle and cut fat."

So. What's it gonna be? Gain muscle or burn fat?

You know exactly how everyone feels about that unicorn and he got the right advice. Pick one. Since he was adamant about fixing his 55lb squat - guess where it went? To the "Don't worry about bodyfat"-mobile!

"Hard to believe, I know"

Two Words

Hey man.

Hey:

"I want to gain a moderate amount of muscle and cut fat."

So. What's it gonna be? Gain muscle or burn fat?

You know exactly how everyone feels about that unicorn and he got the right advice. Pick one. Since he was adamant about fixing his 55lb squat - guess where it went? To the "Don't worry about bodyfat"-mobile!

"Hard to believe, I know"
I get that I can't have it both ways. I'm not looking to cut fat significantly. Hey, I'd be happy if I gained some muscle and kept my fat where it is atm. I'd likely look better with that amount of fat with more muscle. I just don't want to get on the heavy gains track where you eat a lot of calories, lift a lot of weights and bring on all of the fat and muscle. I'm fine with a slower progress that is more likely to give a leaner, more athletic build. I"m not expecting to be at some crazy 5% bf or anything. I just want to be conscious about where I am at it.

Can you guys cut it the fuck out...holy hell!

OT, it's so nice out in NY right now. Nothing like a run on the beach!
Someone acts like a dick to someone else who is just trying to be helpful and administering good advice I'm going to call them out.

That's just me. /shrug

BumRush

Someone acts like a dick to someone else who is just trying to be helpful and administering good advice I'm going to call them out.

That's just me. /shrug

I understand that but it's gone too far. It's super off-topic at this point. This thread has always been a perfect and open place for newcomers. If I wanted advice and read the last couple pages I'd run for the hills.

Or adderall. Lol. But you can only use that at certain times or you won't sleep. :O

Time to make the ultimate morning workout stack lol.

I understand that but it's gone too far. It's super off-topic at this point. This thread has always been a perfect and open place for newcomers. If I wanted advice and read the last couple pages I'd run for the hills.

It's a tough situation really. The guy only selectively takes advice and his choice of words is standoffish if I'm being generous. Railing on him with bluntness only makes it worse, so at some point I think you just gotta drop your piece of advice and leave him to his gains.

Cause I totally understand Jacksinthe, I was even gonna take his approach. But then it was like, I'm only here when gaming side is shit, and more importantly they're not MY gains.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Hey FitGaf,

Long-ish time lurker here. Finally decided it was time to make an account and interact with the lot of you.

Quick backstory: I'm 35 years old, with a slight back issue, but I've been working out on and off for the past 10 years now. I've dabbled in TKD, MMA and boxing in the past, but I've had to give it all up thanks to the bad back. I've fallen off the horse many a times (due to the injury and laziness), but this time, I'm super motivated.

I've recently started the gym after a gap of about 2 years, and I've been given a fairly simple four day split by the trainer there. I workout at the gym in the morning, and if I get the time, hit a bit of (moderate) cardio in the evening. My goal at this point in time is to stay fit, and get rid of all the excess fat. I currently weight 95 kilos, and my goal is to hit 90. I don't count my calories, but I watch what I eat, cheating maybe once a twice a week.

Due to my back, I can't seem to squat with the barbell, so for now, I squat using two kettlebells. I'm not sure if it's mental, but this definitely feels a lot more doable, and I'm slowly upping the weight.

To be honest, I'm a bit scared of the deadlift, as one of the reasons I fucked my back up in the first place, was poor (and heavy) deadlifts. I'm wondering if I should slowly ease into it with other exercises (that can strengthen my back), or just suck it up and get it done.

Any inputs would be appreciated. And since this is my first post, attaching a quick before/after shot. http://imgur.com/JGjKNnJ

Reposting this for him as it kinda got lost in the sea of... whatever you wanna call what just happened. And you all talk about how you're getting hurt lately, so I know someone has experience.

BumRush

It's a tough situation really. The guy only selectively takes advice and his choice of words is standoffish if I'm being generous. Railing on him with bluntness only makes it worse, so at some point I think you just gotta drop your piece of advice and leave him to his gains.

Cause I totally understand Jacksinthe, I was even gonna take his approach. But then it was like, I'm only here when gaming side is shit, and more importantly they're not MY gains.

Oh trust me, not saying Jacksinthe is wrong...just that it isn't going anywhere.

I'm dropping it.

-

Had a really good leg day yesterday and chest day today after my refeed Saturday. Still hitting the same numbers as I was 10 pounds ago. I was really feeling it and dropped a few reps last week but this week I hit every one like I was still bulking.

Now I'm going to refeed every day :D

:(

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
RIP squat rack
ECTKgNi.jpg

Granadier

Hopefully they are upgrading it. This one was pretty old and rusty. There is a really nice deadlift platform at the other end.

Granadier

Hahahaha

He's praying to Swole-Jesus to please bring the squat rack back.
Also, going to McDonald's with after workout hunger is a bad idea. "Yes, please give me $20 of food that I don't need. Thank you very much."

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
What the hell is going on in here? lol

You guys are crazy! There are tons of people at my gym gaining muscle and losing fat. It's insane! These guys blew up in like 6 weeks and their traps are all huge. All this while putting on no fat. Lucky guys.

What the hell is going on in here? lol

You guys are crazy! There are tons of people at my gym gaining muscle and losing fat. It's insane! These guys blew up in like 6 weeks and their traps are all huge. All this while putting on no fat. Lucky guys.
ohyou.jpg

Nelo Ice

Banned
So can already see why not having a food scale is a pita when tracking. Luckily the scale I ordered should be coming in tomorrow. But so far I think I'm doing ok on my 1st day of cutting and actually making a diet. And still need to read through the Renaissance Diet though I'm currently on chapter 3.

Are you diabetic, is that why you check your BS?

Drink some oj or apple juice
Yup.

I thought the new pump auto corrected?
It auto-calculates insulin dosing and trickes my basal. I have to do a lot of manual stuff and like an ass I never dropped my basal (base rate) down during my workout today like I normally do. Slipped my mind. So I'm running a bit low since it kept going full steam during lifts/cardio.

I correct with some carbs.

If I had a continuous glucose monitor it would auto-shutoff at a threshold I set, activate alarms, etc. I just don't want to have another thing hooked up to me 24/7 just yet. One tube in my body is good enough for now XD

BumRush

Yup.

It auto-calculates insulin dosing and trickes my basal. I have to do a lot of manual stuff and like an ass I never dropped my basal (base rate) down during my workout today like I normally do. Slipped my mind. So I'm running a bit low since it kept going full steam during lifts/cardio.

If I had a continuous glucose monitor it would auto-shutoff at a threshold I set, activate alarms, etc. I just don't want to have another thing hooked up to me 24/7 just yet. One tube in my body is good enough for now XD

Oh okay. You're our resident winter soldier.

Dany

Banned

I've seen patients with both. It's so radical when you have complient patients who are willing to care about their sugar and do everything themselves. While others have a finger prick of 700, and refuse me to give them 20 units lol.

Oh okay. You're our resident winter soldier.
Soon as I can afford some metal limbs I'm down!

I've seen patients with both. It's so radical when you have complient patients who are willing to care about their sugar and do everything themselves. While others have a finger prick of 700, and refuse me to give them 20 units lol.
Oh I run exceptionally tight, especially on my cut. Still, the pump requires input from me and if I forget to drop my basal during exercise I will wind up slipping a bit too low like now. Still undecided on the CGM. It's not a replacement by any means due to limited accuracy of interstitial fluid but it can at least spot trends.

But yeah. I work with a few type 2's at the day job and they are pretty shitty about taking care of themselves. I just shake my head. Like, get on that shit - ketoacidosis is no joke.

SeanR1221

Tomorrow is my anniversary and not only am I getting whatever I want to eat, I am going IN on some ice cream later. Can't wait.

I'm expecting a 5lb increase :)

Of course I'm squatting right before

No Love

Banned

I think the worst part for me is that when I worked in dialysis, the ones that neglected themselves wouldn't last long but it was fucking heartbreaking watching the devoted, careful patients suffer and die off randomly. Still fucks with my head.

I've actually decided to just cut sugar out permanently, it's the major reason I don't have a six-pack and I'd rather not fuck with a substance that causes so much pain when abused lol.

Can't sleep. Shoulder blade pain is unbearable. Just downed a bunch of ibuprofen and am sat here pressing hard against a heat pad.

I don't get why it doesn't seem to be getting better. I almost feel like I should just say fuck it, accept it's completely fucked and go back to lifting. :(

No Love

Banned
Can't sleep. Shoulder blade pain is unbearable. Just downed a bunch of ibuprofen and am sat here pressing hard against a heat pad.

I don't get why it doesn't seem to be getting better. I almost feel like I should just say fuck it, accept it's completely fucked and go back to lifting. :(

Marijuana and especially CBD would work wonders. Ibuprofen ain't got shit on some good indica with CBD drops.

If you need info, I am GAF's #1 expert (maybe the only) on marijuana/CBD in general.

Top Bottom