• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fliers telling LGBTQ students to kill themselves is fine according to Cleveland Uni

The fact that there's a discussion at all shows how far we've fallen as a society.

The flyer should have been torn down immediately, and whichever nutter that came up with it should be expelled. Instead, half the country has lost their goddamn minds. They go to bat for awful horseshit like this at every opportunity.

I was reading the comments (never read the comments) in the Facebook post. It's unbelievable that they're coming from real people.

emalord

Nazi propaganda at 100%
They did the same thing during the russian campaign (with other topic but same malevolent intent)
Can't believe this is actually happening in 2017 in the first world

kmfdmpig

That's an abhorrent approach to obvious hate speech. The University's primary goal should be to make students feel safe and protected.
It's an open question whether allowing such clear harassment is a breach of Title IX laws as Title IX was designed to ensure gender equality, but it seems unclear if LGBT rights are covered by Title IX:
https://www.insidehighered.com/view...wing-ruling-sexual-orientation-discrimination

I imagine that the University is certainly putting itself at risk for a Title IX lawsuit which could clarify the interpretation of what is or is not protected by it.

NewDust

Isn't telling people to kill themselves, when there is a reasonable assumption people will go through with it, considered manslaughter in some states? As in the Roy/Carter trial?

Slayven

The fact that there's a discussion at all shows how far we've fallen as a society.

The flyer should have been torn down immediately, and whichever nutter that came up with it should be expelled. Instead, half the country has lost their goddamn minds. They go to bat for awful horseshit like this at every opportunity.

I was reading the comments (never read the comments) in the Facebook post. It's unbelievable that they're coming from real people.

Yep

ShyMel

Make flyers telling Nazis and white supremacists to kill themselves and see what happens. Like someone else said, play like the Church of Satan does seem to be the easiest way to go about certain things.

Kthulhu

You say that as if things haven't been this way.

RMI

Banned
I would hope that those fliers are torn down/defaced immediately?

tell me they aren't just hanging around longer than it takes for them to be photographed.

Davey Cakes

People need to realize "free speech" is about the government not being able to imprison you or fine you for saying things, not "let's let everybody run their damn fool mouths no matter what, where, when, why or how"
It's the words "free" and "speech" put together and taken at face value. People will take the absolute simplest meaning of something and just run with it because they don't know any better or don't care. As long as they feel validated, they'll spew whatever buzzwords or nonsense they can conjure up.

I'm admittedly a pretty insensitive guy at times but I'm constantly baffled by the shit that hate groups are willing to say and do. I mean, there's insensitivity and there's...decency as a human being. If you're even wiling to tear the piece of tape that will hold up a poster encouraging ANYONE to commit suicide, you've passed the threshold into reprehensibility.

TS-08

This is one of those situations where I think it would be worth risking a lawsuit by taking these things down. I’m not convinced that courts wouldn’t be able to fashion some narrow exception to the First Amendment when it comes to schools trying to protect its students from encouragement to commit violent acts on themselves or others, including colleges and universities.

You say that as if things haven't been this way.

I dunno, up until maybe last year I really felt like stuff was starting to improve a bit. Then suddenly there's been a bunch of mainstream push back and everyone's going nuts about people wanting to ban hate speech from a campus. Certainly in my country (Australia) this shit wouldn't have flown a few years ago, but I suspect today you'd get the same kind of "don't want to stop a civil debate " line.
Also in terms of neo nazis being accepted for some reason.

RPGCrazied

Will the President of this school think it free speech if gay people put up fliers like this saying heterosexuals kill themselves?

I have a feeling he would have a problem with it then.

Khoryos

Make flyers telling Nazis and white supremacists to kill themselves and see what happens. Like someone else said, play like the Church of Satan does seem to be the easiest way to go about certain things.

A smoking revolver and "Follow your Fuhrer, fascists" would work.

You can guarantee that if someone put up the same flier full of statistics about young straight white men being dangerous and told them to hang themselves there'd be a riot.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
President is a fucking moderate piece of shit, yea the middle, fre spech!!
boogie2988_middle_by_digi_matrix-db3h3ud.gif

Maybe those those LBGT students can learn something from people who want them to kill themselves! /s

BasicMath

People need to realize "free speech" is about the government not being able to imprison you or fine you for saying things, not "let's let everybody run their damn fool mouths no matter what, where, when, why or how"
Other than the current limits that's basically what it is. The people themselves need to stand up lawfully to disgusting displays like the one in the OP however they can. Boycott, expose, ridicule and such.

You can't expect government to take care of everything so you don't have to deal with the ugliness out there. The government has limits. And this is one of them.

I'm still trying to figure out how hate speech should be protected under the umbrella of 'free speech'. There is no merit to the content on that flyer. I can't begin to relate to anyone who could look at that and think it's a valid perspective deserving of a seat at the table. Ronald Berkman doesn't deserve that job.

Snaku

Banned
These people have their own world view that's just as valid as ours and we should have an open dialogue to try and understand their grieva

p80ovoilea.gif

Isn't telling people to kill themselves, when there is a reasonable assumption people will go through with it, considered manslaughter in some states? As in the Roy/Carter trial?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm wondering what existing legal avenue one could best use to have this stuff taken down. I think this might be the best argument

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Someone ought to put up a poster encouraging all these fascists to follow the last action of who I presume to have been their favorite fascist leader in history. Would save the rest of us a lot of trouble. Might even drive up gun sales for a brief spurt, which I'm sure would make them happy in the time they had left too.

Leeness

This country needs clearly defined hate speech laws so fucking badly.

BUT MUH FREE SPEECH

It’s part of the International Criminal Court, which has universal jurisdiction.

If someone in the US somehow manages to incite a large enough attack/mass murder against a protected group, the ICC could step in and prosecute.

Mahonay

Banned
It’s part of the International Criminal Court, which has universal jurisdiction.

If someone in the US somehow manages to incite a large enough attack/mass murder against a protected group, the ICC could step in and prosecute.
But in smaller cases like this, their existence doesn't matter for the students being attacked here because they certainly won't get involved.

Does the ICC have a history of ever getting involved in these type of things in America?

Hostile hate speech designed to alienate, slander and generally cause harm to a group of people probably should be the hard line where free speech is drawn.

I feel like whoever is calling the shots on this issue at that school is indifferent, at best.

shiba5

Shit, you don't even have to imagine it. Look at how much they whined about the marketing for Wolfenstein. In 2017, Nazis have "just a different opinion".

Edit: The response from the president is shameful. Funny how "free speech" always seems to only protect the oppressors.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wonder what would've happened if the fliers said "White people should kill themselves".
The letter would read more like

Centrist President said:
"We do not tolerate hate speech in anyway shape or form. No civil discourse can come from such heresy." We will find and e̶x̶e̶c̶u̶t̶e̶ expel those responsible immediately!

Top Bottom