• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football’s decline has some high schools disbanding teams

shira

Hopefully this leads to better heavyweight MMA fighters down the line if football is less attractive to the bigger athletes.

The skills don't translate at all.

Football is about using a 2-10 yard sprint to knock a person on his ass with your helmet, shoulder

The skills don't translate at all.

Football is about using a 2-10 yard sprint to knock a person on his ass with your helmet, shoulder
I'm not saying football players might go to MMA now. Really athletic big guys tend to go into football young. If football declines over the years and less of them play football they might get into MMA instead. I'm talking future, not current kids.

why would an athlete afraid of brain damage go into a combat sport?
MMA generally involves much less head trauma than football or boxing. It's also about the opportunities presented; if football is declining kids will find other sports.

yuoke

Banned
As opposed to guys standing still and occasionally sprinting for 180 minutes?
Because it's not all running in baseball. There is strategy, pitching, hitting, and knowing when to run. Soccer is literally just jogging while one of the guys jogging happens to have a ball in front.

Darknight

I know a Trumper who thinks these "reports" are BS and that some are being "Politically correct" with the sport. Like they plain do not believe the damage it causes and/or think kids or athletes should shut the hell up and play so they can enjoy their game.

Soccer isn't all that much more safe.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/406750-do-you-get-hurt-more-in-soccer-or-football/

I mean...in Ohio, Texas, Florida, and California...yeah...football isn't going away any time soon.

The rich parents will just put their kids in la cross like they have been for years. All the d-baggery that comes with it, and none of the actual athletic ability.

Yeah Lacrosse is pretty much a northern and northeastern sport in the US. Most HS's in Texas don't offer it. Same with Ice Hockey. In Texas, rich kids parents get their kids in golf or swimming

We'll have to see if people are interested in football when it's not a proxy for aggressive masculinity and American militarism
It has the ceiling of Ultimate Frisbee. Good news is I saw an ultimate Frisbee competition broadcast on ESPN once

Zoe

Yeah Lacrosse is pretty much a northern and northeastern sport in the US. Most HS's in Texas don't offer it. Same with Ice Hockey. In Texas, rich kids parents get their kids in golf or swimming

Rich kids whose rich parents have sent them to expensive private schools can play Lacrosse in Texas.

muu

It has the ceiling of Ultimate Frisbee. Good news is I saw an ultimate Frisbee competition broadcast on ESPN once

It'd be great to see more kids in ultimate. I'm in Oregon so it makes sense but apparently it's become a pretty big thing in High school now. Now high school kids are routinely schooling us in the city league since where when we were young it was dumb but energetic kids vs wily old guys now it's energetic and coached kids w/ strategy vs wily old guys who're too slow to keep up.

bman94

Awful. No football means a big a hit to Marching Band programs, which to me means less kids that can get into college who otherwise wouldn't be able to go from other means.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Soccer isn't all that much more safe.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/406750-do-you-get-hurt-more-in-soccer-or-football/

I mean...in Ohio, Texas, Florida, and California...yeah...football isn't going away any time soon.

The rich parents will just put their kids in la cross like they have been for years. All the d-baggery that comes with it, and none of the actual athletic ability.

Yeah, I doubt any of those idiotic districts that spent tens of millions of dollars on their high school football vanity stadiums will ever drop their programs. Not sure how well such boondoggles can be repurposed.

bman94

marching bands offer scholarships?

Bruh...of course. I was only a pretty decent
musician in high school and my band scholarship in college was $12,500 every year. There were people in the same band who had $20,000 per year scholarships. I have a good number of friends who would have never went to college if it wasn't for band scholarships.

lol Nothing, at least in my part of the country. Soccer is what kids play when they are very young before they join real sports like football, basketball and maybe baseball.

Very true. American boys will start playing soccer but they'll end up playing football. When its their time to make the transition, they'll let their parents know....

giphy.gif

Nikodemos

Man, you need a whole lot of stuff to play baseball, damn.
If you want to play competitively, yes, you need a lot of stuff. Even if you re-use some of the equipment between the players, it's still a much higher up-front investment.

Now, admittedly, soccer equipment is more expensive in the US, due to its stigma as a well-off-middle-class kid game (whose parents can afford it). There's also the issue that a child outgrows soccer equipment pretty quickly, meaning you need to buy new cleats frequently. Of course, nothing prevents the parent from donating or even selling (for a modest sum) the smaller equipment to a local club.

Top Bottom