• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Has anyone else heard of these Skrtel to Man City rumours?

And I'm not trying to have a go at any Liverpool fans here.

This actually sounds like a deal that could happen.

Arnie

He's better than Lescott in my opinion.

I guess anything's possible without a manager. Apart from Lucas. That's not possible.

Carbonox

Could be a more efficient and financially sound acquisition than splashing 100m on some foreigner who may or may not work out.

Kompany + Skrtel would be some pairing.

GorillaJu

You've got me all wrong. I am a volcano of transfer froth.

It's just that it's 1:17 am here.

I'm the Old Faithful of transfer froth. I will, with 100% reliability, get over-excited from any transfer news concerning Liverpool.

Like when elseanio jokingly said Liverpool were in talks with Guardiola. Nearly shat my fucking pants.

Could see this happening. Would be extremely unfortunate, but could see it happening.

I'm the Old Faithful of transfer froth. I will, with 100% reliability, get over-excited from any transfer news concerning Liverpool.

Like when elseanio jokingly said Liverpool were in talks with Guardiola. Nearly shat my fucking pants.

Imagine how we Villa fans feel about Solksjaer...

Wasn't there a rumour Skrtel wanted to leave? Still can't see that happening but who knows. I don't think Liverpool can afford to sell him. Not with Agger's injury record and Carragher being over the hill.

Mastadon

Banned

Sounds very plausible unfortunately, he's had a fantastic season. Having said that, he's probably easier to replace than Agger would be.

GorillaJu

Wasn't there a rumour Skrtel wanted to leave? Still can't see that happening but who knows. I don't think Liverpool can afford to sell him. Not with Agger's injury record and Carragher being over the hill.

Yeah there was a rumor but it was shot down pretty quickly. We really can't sell him, but we couldn't sell Alonso, Masch or Torres, either. Somehow they all managed to happen.

Would City go for Torres if they can't get RVP?

Really really doubt that. Would be better off keeping Balotelli, Aguero and Dzeko than buy a forward without confidence who would no doubt sit on the bench and have to prove his worth. Falcao or Cavani seems much more likely.

Hixx

Lowest 5 Prem Lge Save % 1. Robinson 57.2%, 2. Jaaskelainen 62.6%, 3. Szczesny 63,2%, 4. Kenny 64.2%, 5. Al-Habsi 65.7%. Strugglers.

Robinson is a good keeper.

ixO7wPDc8nc6J.jpg

Eh, I'm not a big Skrtel fan - though he improved leaps and bounds this year. His concentration is suspect and he is awful during offensive set pieces and corners.

Lukaku's comments about AVB are hard to gauge. It's really just his description versus the manager's, and usually in these narratives the player is the poor, sweet, misunderstood victim and the manager is the evil heartless one.

Really really doubt that. Would be better off keeping Balotelli, Aguero and Dzeko than buy a forward without confidence who would no doubt sit on the bench and have to prove his worth. Falcao or Cavani seems much more likely.

Agreed, I'll be surprised if Twitter etc doesn't run with it though If RVP does decide to stay.

jtb

Banned
Yeah there was a rumor but it was shot down pretty quickly. We really can't sell him, but we couldn't sell Alonso, Masch or Torres, either. Somehow they all managed to happen.

to be fair, 50 million for an injury prone, out of form Torres was a massive steal for Liverpool. problem wasn't really Torres, but more the players brought in with the Torres money (of which Suarez is a fantastic buy, but everyone else.... eh)

Also, Lukaku doesn't get any sympathy from me. He's an idiot for leaving before he was ready; I mean, I get Drogba's 34 and Torres was pretty shit, but did he really think he'd ever be higher in the pecking order than two of the best strikers to ever feature in the premiership?

Christian Spiller, sports editor of Die Zeit

The problem with the victory of Chelsea is not just that they won, but more importantly the way that they won. It was undeserved. More than that, actually – it was a farce. [Chelsea] may call themselves the best team in Europe, but this will go down in football history as an accident.

But what's the use complaining? Chelsea had travelled with the aim of having as little as possible to do with the football game. They leaned back in their rocking chairs around the penalty area – they're all a little older – and waited for the end of the game.

iD4HYJnOv5OF6.gif

fuenf

If we had a decent striker on the bench, yes. But that wasn't the case... Olic came as LW, and he has sucked since his injury, but still I think he could have done better if he has started as ST in this match. Gómez is my most hated Bayern player, letting Rafinha aside, and I surely hope the board buys a better striker to fight for the starting spot.

Nope, he missess like 5 chances to score 1.

Start hating on Robben instead! Seriously i dont get what you have against Gomez and Rafinha (of all people Rafinha? wtf?)

Wilbur

Banned
Wooden, that gif was perfect. Perfect. Yenrot, you are mistaken. Do not expect exemplary character drama or a superlative script. Expect to have an erection while watching a bunch of Asians beat the fuck out of each other.

Just saw the picture of Terry, Lampard and Drogba huddling together. Get Cech in and that's perfect. They really deserved it.

Edit: QPR have given Kieron Dyer (yeah, remember him?) a new one year deal. He's only played 1 full game in the Premier League since 2007! :lol

That is mental, he was the definition of a nightmare signing for us, barely played over 4 years and cost us millions - then he goes to QPR and snaps his leg minutes into his debut match, and they go and give him a new contract? Lol.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Can GAF name every Premier League goal scorer in this quiz?

http://www.sporcle.com/games/Resistance/premier-league-goalscorers-20112012

You are timed and no cheating.

GO!

182. I spent 2 minutes trying to spell Stracqualursi.

Christian Spiller, sports editor of Die Zeit

The whining about Chelsea's style of play is pathetic. They knew they could never outplay the opposition so they set out to frustrate and score on the counter, that's nothing new. Spurs did it to Milan last season, Chelsea did it to Barca and Bayern, Inter did it two seasons before. It's not bad football, it's sensible. What's a bit embarrassing about the way Chelsea did it is that they got lucky. They gave away penalties against Bayern and Barca that weren't converted and they conceded a busload of chances from open play. They showed guts but the actual quality of their defending wasn't great, but in the end they didn't need to be bulletproof, as the opposition was firing blanks anyway.

Clegg

Does anyone else want to hear some more Hazard transfer news?

It's from twitter but the bloke seems pretty reliable.

I won't post it if everyone is sick of hearing about Hazard.

You just made a post about Hazard about a post about Hazard, it's the gametrailers of football thread, announcing announcements of a rumor. YOU ONLY MADE IT WORSE. Now go feel bad.

Yen

Wooden, that gif was perfect. Perfect. Yenrot, you are mistaken. Do not expect exemplary character drama or a superlative script. Expect to have an erection while watching a bunch of Asians beat the fuck out of each other.

Just saw the picture of Terry, Lampard and Drogba huddling together. Get Cech in and that's perfect. They really deserved it.

Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

GorillaJu

Big announcement tonight - they're going to announce the rumors about when Hazard's announcement about his club next season will happen.

Arnie

It isn't true remember. The Manchester United collective conscience agreed that Hazard's already a Chelsea player.

Start hating on Robben instead! Seriously i dont get what you have against Gomez and Rafinha (of all people Rafinha? wtf?)

Rafinha is stupendously washed up. Nowhere near the player he was two years ago. Funny that Contento, Alaba, and even Boateng are better full-backs than the one the board brought in to fix the problem.

Clegg

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
This 'Sky sources' stuff today, concerning Hazard - suggesting he prefers United. Will try and give some insight into this in next tweets

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
From what I know, it's not mercato365, anyone on Twitter or random guess work. Dharmesh Sheth (Man United fan) spoke to Michel Seydoux yday

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
Michel Seydoux appeared on camera as he agreed to give people an update on what was going on. Then, with camera off...

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
..he may have said off the record that United has the edge. That's what constitutes 'sky sources'.

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
That said,Michel Seydoux may have just fed them a duff line. In the grand scheme of things,'Sky sources' isn't 100% fool proof. No source is .

Michel Seydoux is chairman of Lille.

And now I'm not going to post anything Hazard related until he signs for whoever.

GorillaJu

I must admit it's pretty funny how quickly United fans have turned on the ultra-defeatist defense mechanism. It's still the biggest team in the world and a player who wants to make his mark on the world is going to be considering more than just wages. Your team may have lost a tiny sliver of clout in the transfer market because the owners aren't spending like sheikhs, but if I were someone like Hazard, I'd take United over City any day. You won't change from a good player to a great player at City - at United, it's a much more likely event.

I must admit it's pretty funny how quickly United fans have turned on the ultra-defeatist defense mechanism. It's still the biggest team in the world and a player who wants to make his mark on the world is going to be considering more than just wages. Your team may have lost a tiny sliver of clout in the transfer market because the owners aren't spending like sheikhs, but if I were someone like Hazard, I'd take United over City any day. You won't change from a good player to a great player at City - at United, it's a much more likely event.

Real Madrid & Barcelona are the biggest teams in the world by pretty much any metric

Arnie

Happy for Napoli, that squad deserved some sort of silverware and it'll more than likely be broken up this summer. Regardless of whether they do sell some of their stars, they've come a hell of a long way in just a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom