• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For gaming with an Onkyo TX-NR646 and a PS5, what is the better sound option? Linear PC or DTS:X?

Barneyco

I have an Onkyo similar to yours. Do you have the Ps5 going through receiver or TV? I tried DTS:X and didn't like the sound that much. I ended up using the dolby surround 5.1 setting.

Ashamam

For height mapping correct to your room assuming you have those speakers choose Atmos. If you have a flat plane type setup, no overheads, choose LPCM as that is as you say uncompressed. Thats my understanding anyway.

A.Romero

Ive had the 656 model for quite a few years and prefer linear PCM. I don't usually like to have simulated surround, much less when it's not needed.

There is no benefit when upmixing a track that is already multichannel.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am surprised I am the first one to bring this up, but the PS5 doesn’t support DTS:X for gaming only Dolby Atmos. Xbox Series X however supports both. On XSX I use DTS:Xsince it doesn’t have any audio delays like Atmos does.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have an Onkyo similar to yours. Do you have the Ps5 going through receiver or TV? I tried DTS:X and didn't like the sound that much. I ended up using the dolby surround 5.1 setting.
PS5 doesn’t support DTS:X for gaming audio. Only regular DTS:HD

A.Romero

I am surprised I am the first one to bring this up, but the PS5 doesn’t support DTS:X only Dolby Atmos. Xbox Series X however supports both. On XSX I use DTS:Xsince it doesn’t have any audio delays like Atmos does.
You can only select between Dolby and dts when talking about upmixing (taking an audio signal and using an algorithm to simulate additional channels). If you are using a PS5 the config is done on the console and the receiver should be set to direct so there is no audio retouching by the receiver.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can only select between Dolby and dts when talking about upmixing (taking an audio signal and using an algorithm to simulate additional channels). If you are using a PS5 the config is done on the console and the receiver should be set to direct so there is no audio retouching by the receiver.
Yeah…that’s not DTS:X. That’s generic DTS and Dolby Audio. PS5 recently added a Dolby Atmos option for sound, but it’s not a true Dolby Atmos. It’s Sonys proprietary audio wrapped in Atmos. It works well enough.

All you are doing if you choose to use DTS or DD instead of Linear PCM for game output from anything is introducing another compression and decompression stage. This adds latency and decreases the audio quality for literally no reason.

flying_sq

LPCM, I have an RZ830, STR-DH800 before that. Let the end device decode and figure it out. Don't know your model, but mine have always told me when the media changed to whatever the audio track is. DTS-HD, Dolby whatever, all you do is introduce a delay and some funkiness. I've never seen it change for games, I don't know how much if any they actually use up from 5.1. My past experiences have always been pretty meh when it comes to games and surround.

Top Bottom