• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For those who ever got banned on PSN/Xbox/Nintendo Online/Steam...

angrod14

I have four questions:

1) On what plataform were you banned?

2) What kind of ban was it? (temporary, permanent, etc.)

3) What was the cause?

4) Were you able to lift it? How?

I think it would be interesting to hear the stories from those members who went through this unfortunate event, and hopefuly gather some info on how to prevent falling in the same mistakes. While the main reasons may be predictable, there are exceptional cases that have happened that probably nobody could've anticipated to be ban-worthy (like that "stfu" dude that got perma-banned from EA).

//DEVIL//

I never got banned from any. Just don't do something illegal or wrong dude.

And if you to insist on doing something like that. Don't use the main account that has all your games on it. Play on a different account. I mean it's kinda 101 at this point.

Of course there are rare cases where people got banned and they shouldn't. But I don't believe the ( I didn't do anything and I got banned 99% of the time that kid is a liar )

angrod14

And if you to insist on doing something like that. Don't use the main account that has all your games on it. Play on a different account. I mean it's kinda 101 at this point.

Of course there are rare cases where people got banned and they shouldn't. But I don't believe the ( I didn't do anything and I got banned 99% of the time that kid is a liar )
I never had any issues either. Have a US account since 2009 still kicking strong. I disabled the chat functionality (mainly because of spam) to be extra safe.

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Your going to have to go to more nefarious places to get any real replies regarding this topic places where cheaters congregate or 4 chan or something like that.

This is an enthusiast board so either people are meticulous enough to avoid a ban or are too proud to mention it but from what I have seen over the years most people lose access because of a technical error, because of a old lost email account they no longer have access to, or because of an accidental charge back by the user or their bank.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I have four questions:

3) What was the cause?

I think it would be interesting to hear the stories from those members who went through this unfortunate event, and hopefuly gather some info on how to prevent falling in the same mistakes. While the main reasons may be predictable, there are exceptional cases that have happened that probably nobody could've anticipated to be ban-worthy (like that "stfu" dude that got perma-banned from EA).

1.Xbox live.

2. Permanent hardware ban (Xbox 360)

3. I flashed the disc drive to remove the copyright protection and played on Xbox live (like a dummy), on my original Xbox account no less (a real big dummy). I ironically got banned after buying a gta expansion ( Ballad of Gay Tony). I got banned before the download completed, so I didn't even get to play it.

4. Nope. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Mr Hyde

Never got banned on any of my accounts. I feel you have to do something quite stupid, or get yourself really out of line, to even be banned. I can't fathom it would happen because of a mistake or a technical error.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I have never been banned.... But I caused a ban on an Xbox 360 rented from an Internet cafe... It was a modified console and I bought the pirated version of Ace Combat and caused a ban on the console I was renting 😶.

Last edited:
I’ve never been banned myself but my oldest son has been temp banned from Xbox live a few times throughout his life.

It’s probably been over a decade since…. But funny enough he was banned last week for 72 hours from chat because his avatar picture was Shane holding a shotty on his shoulder WTF is that??? Anyone else hear about this problem?

angrod14

But funny enough he was banned last week for 72 hours from chat because his avatar picture was Shane holding a shotty on his shoulder WTF is that??? Anyone else hear about this problem?
That sounds super random. Are you sure it wasn't because some other reason? It was either an "anti gun" algorythm from Xbox or maybe because it deemed the picture as a copyright violation.

That sounds super random. Are you sure it wasn't because some other reason? It was either an "anti gun" algorythm from Xbox or maybe because it deemed the picture as a copyright violation.
Oh trust me, I was giving him the run down cause like I said this isn’t his first time. He’s 23 now and it’s been about the 10 year mark since he’s had any “infractions”.
He said he did get a message about changing his avatar pic and of course he ignored it thinking it had to be a mistake and last Wednesday his account had a ban on chat and he was unable to play 360 games(weird) and the ban was stated because of inappropriate avatar picture.
Just thought it kinda strange to ban cause of the gun.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My whole console was banned before I played halo3 pirated version week before release lol.
Not my profile. MY CONSOLE. So even if I factory reset it and create another profile - nope. still offline. permanently. to this day :messenger_dizzy:
And mind you, I had some original games. I was a teen though, so of course I pirated a bit without money for games. I never even played anything online lol.

By permanently banning my console from going online.... xbox assured I won't be able to give them more money. nice move

tylrdiablos

My Steam account has a ban for cheating in Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2... a game I don't even own.
I've contacted Steam support and they've basically said "All banz r final. LOL". Yet they've unbanned various e-sports players over the years.

I can't say I care too much. It's just an annoying blemish on my 20 year old Steam account. (The ban is now 5034 days old.)

LostDonkey

I issued a charge back with my bank after Sony refused to budge when they broke the terms of service of an online game they sold me which had a non functional online portion for the entirety of me owning the game.

They permanently banned my account.

over £5.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
My whole console was banned before I played halo3 pirated version week before release lol.
Not my profile. MY CONSOLE. So even if I factory reset it and create another profile - nope. still offline. permanently. to this day :messenger_dizzy:
And mind you, I had some original games. I was a teen though, so of course I pirated a bit without money for games. I never even played anything online lol.

By permanently banning my console from going online.... xbox assured I won't be able to give them more money. nice move

That might have been the one case where I would be happy if my system got YLOD, get MS to replace the console for free and get back to playing online!

Last edited:

Generic

My Steam account has a ban for cheating in Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2... a game I don't even own.
I've contacted Steam support and they've basically said "All banz r final. LOL". Yet they've unbanned various e-sports players over the years.

I can't say I care too much. It's just an annoying blemish on my 20 year old Steam account. (The ban is now 5034 days old.)
You were probably hacked and the hacker used a cheat.

Last edited:

Moses85

It was Gamescom 2012, I received a Beta from Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness but this was only playable on a Development Console as NIS told me. But I have had a CFW PS3 and was able to play it. A friend of mine opend the PS Store while I was in the kitchen and the Account got banned.

All my review copies I added to my account were lost, approx 50..

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

I explained everything to Sony, that I am a reviewer, no chance, the account was/is banned forever.

Never got banned out of anything. Every cheat I used in games was done while offline. I never got any beefy with any other player because it's not worth it. If I get any stupid/mean messages calling me a noob or anything I answer with sarcasm, ignore, or just block the individual. My limited free time while playing is used for leisure not to get headaches.

But if I got banned unjustly, then I'd try to speak with official channels for the service. If there was a lot of money spent in said banned account then I'd seek legal means.

Kings Field

Never got banned but I used to bridge host in Gears of War 2 to counter bridge host the leaderboard leaders who were using zone alarm and Cain and able to freeze the lobby for one round long enough to kill the opposite team and then dashboard and it counted as a win.

Numerous time went against some scrub named “Nasty” or whatever and he was #1 ranked in the world on execution. We were up 4-1 on them before they pulled the zone alarm shit and ever since then I learned how to do it and never lost to a bum ass cheater on Gears 2 ever again.

Later found out he was doing the same shit on Gamebattles and was banned on there and then also his Xbox account was nuked.

Holammer

Never been banned anywhere. I'mma good boy playing by the rules.
Heck, even GAF mods can confirm that's mostly true.

The only place I’ve ever been banned from was GAF, for a week.

My nephew has been banned from PSN a few times, because he talks so much shit and just can’t help himself, little clown. It’s been a while since his last ban though so I think he’s learned his lesson.

Last edited:

Schmick

I've never been banned. From a consoles account or steam.

I've been kicked out of CS2 Deathmatchs plenty of times following accusations that I cheat. Which I don't. Its fucking annoying!

cormack12

Gold Member
I have four questions:

3) What was the cause?

Xbox
Perm
Hardware modification (chipped 360)
No

I feel you really have to go hard to get banned. I even had pictures of tiddies from Origins and Valhalla on Xbox Network and I wasn't banned like all these reddit posts. Though I have removed them now.

Zone Alarm.

star wars GIF

Remember zone alarm?

zl.jpg.c66c34aff04c76226d628a9ef08018e1.jpg

Excellent topic. thanks OP
Never banned from gaming, just forums. I hate censorship but that doesnt mean I go out of my way to be an asshole. A lot of times its sensitive topics and mods just cant let it happen.

Quasicat

I’ve not been banned, but a few months ago I got a message from Nintendo that my seven year old got banned for a week for bullying/hates speech. I called Nintendo and they would not tell me why the ban happened. I then went through Mario Maker 2 and found a lot of his levels were called qwerty**** where the stars are numbers. I then saw one level where he misspelled it and instead put qweerty. Apparently, someone saw this and turned him in. I explained to him what happened, but he’s seven and had no idea truly why he got banned.

I issued a charge back with my bank after Sony refused to budge when they broke the terms of service of an online game they sold me which had a non functional online portion for the entirety of me owning the game.

They permanently banned my account.

over £5.

Sony will ban you over charge backs, no exception for sure.

MikeM

No bans here. That is also why I buy the games I care about physical. Banning me for whatever won’t cost me everything (on console at least).

The only thing I was ever banned from was the storefront in Forza Motorsport 3. I made a Calvin pissing decal, the same one you used to be able to walk into any auto parts store or big box automotive section and see right out in public. They banned me for a week and deleted my storefront, which was doing exceptionally well at the time.

Nydius

I have four questions:

3) What was the cause?

1. Xbox 360/Live Gold

2. Permanent

3. I made a fuck around throw away account with spare XBLG trial cards so I could tinker with the profile decrypter and editor available at the time that let you do things like add/remove achievements.

4. No, and didn't really care or try. I expected the "find out" consequence of the "fuck around", hence the throw away account.

StueyDuck

I have four questions:

3) What was the cause?

The only ban I had is in APEX legends and it was literally during that time the community were fighting with them and they had all those hacks and leaks etc.

I never took my ea account seriously so the password wasn't that strong and didn't have 2 factor.

Next minute I saw "last played 5 hours ago" which was like 2pm my time, clearly I wasn't playing at work so I knew I'd been hacked. The idiot just wanted to cheat in apex 🤣 didn't even care about my library of games.

I quickly managed to sort out my login and make it more secure but the EA help desk (a bunch of fucking bots) refused to do jack shit to get my account unbanned, so I told them to go fuck themselves. Uninstalled apex and haven't touched it since.

Long story short. Fuck ea help desk those cunts

SHA

Your going to have to go to more nefarious places to get any real replies regarding this topic places where cheaters congregate or 4 chan or something like that.

This is an enthusiast board so either people are meticulous enough to avoid a ban or are too proud to mention it but from what I have seen over the years most people lose access because of a technical error, because of a old lost email account they no longer have access to, or because of an accidental charge back by the user or their bank.
Use one outlook email for everything, problem solved, it's Google who's at fault for banning unused Gmails, that's unethical, people got reasons for that, I don't get why Google are doing this.

Sleepwalker

I had a modded 360, never took it online but that would've been banned in minutes.

I have a EA games ban on my main PSN account that still has *checks notes* about 32 years left before it gets lifted. I sold my Ultimate team currency for big cash in fifa 17, no regrets.

I lost my main xbox account last year because my brother who I gameshared with got his whole ass console banned with all the accounts in it, to this day he swears he did nothing wrong but I'm guessing cheating or abusive behavior of some kind was going on. Honestly there wasn't much there aside from like 6 months left of gamepass and a few digital games so whatever. Did lose my RDR2 save. I just ended up making a new account on my xbox and don't share it with him lol.

I've had a few warnings and temp bans on XBL in the past because of messaging, half the fun of playing FIFA online is replying to salty messages lol.

Never had a ban on PSN or Nintendo.

I'm pretty sure I was banned as a teen from a Ragnarok Online server for using an auto clicker to farm resources lol.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I was banned on my nintendo switch console for hacking it/ pirating games. I was not able to lift it, but afaik i am only banned from the console and i should be fine if i bought another switch.

i thought stupidly that if i formatted my memory card that i was fine to go online. and i thought i was fine for a while and then one day i just wasnt able to go online.

Last edited:

devilNprada

I have four questions:

3) What was the cause?

Almost... My PSN account got hacked, they tried to use a bad credit card to buy games.
It took a shit ton of phone time arguing up to manager level to get back in. Maybe 8 years ago.

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
I was banned on xbox 360. I cant be 100% but It was either 2 weeks or 1 months ban. I would play alot of FIFA, COD, Rainbow Six vegas online at the time 2006 -2007 when the ban happened, it was the era of abuse and sending messages after the match ect. I had the Xbox camera so I took a pic of a big black dick and sent it to all my recent players a number of times. Eventualy someone must of reported me and I got the ban. Pretty sure if that was today id be perma banned and probably old bill booting down my door.

Maddanth

I have four questions:

3) What was the cause?

I got banned from Playstation due to using my GF debit card for PS plus. We then broke up and I forgot to change it to mine and when she called her bank to stop payments that's when sony thought it was fraud. I was able to rectify the situation within a few days with speaking with Sony and they lifted it .

Ar¢tos

I didn't get banned, but got a warning because I reported a hate message written in Russian (typical msg, your mother is a whore, go fuck yourself, etc) and Playstation services send me a warning that there was nothing wrong with the message and that wasting their time with nothing would get my account suspended.
I then posted screenshots of the msg and the response on the Playstation forum (when there was one) and they deleted my post.

I guess you can text whatever you want as long as it isn't in English or local language over psn.

DaGwaphics

Exactly, that basically sums it up. Be normal and it won't be a problem.

I will give a pass to the folks that got banned for screenshots of content they purchased on the store.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I didn't get banned, but got a warning because I reported a hate message written in Russian (typical msg, your mother is a whore, go fuck yourself, etc) and Playstation services send me a warning that there was nothing wrong with the message and that wasting their time with nothing would get my account suspended.
I then posted screenshots of the msg and the response on the Playstation forum (when there was one) and they deleted my post.

I guess you can text whatever you want as long as it isn't in English or local language over psn.
That’s bang out of order from them.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world

PSN

PERM

3) What was the cause?

MASSIVE HOMEBREW CRAB.....MASSIVE DAMAGE

I wasn't I just used my JP PSN account now I use nothing because screw playstation

Skelterz

I got banned a few times in the 360 days, Miss those times actually online was so different then some say toxic but I quite enjoyed the chaos.

reinking

Gold Member
I only get banned from brick-and-mortar stores. :messenger_sunglasses:

1) On what platform were you banned?

Blockbuster

Originally permanent (from renting).

3) What was the cause?

Missing item dispute.

Yes. After talking to their manager multiple times, he finally came to the conclusion that I was not lying and that the item was put in the drop box. I have a feeling they found it and did not want to admit it. That, or they were tired of dealing with me and felt that since I was still coming to the store to purchase used games it was not worth losing me as a customer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom