• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former FBI Director Mueller appointed special counsel for Trump-Russia investigation

I just noticed shadow Obama lol.

ZEKaMUCl.jpg

mclem

I know that happened, but it's not clear to me how much Rosenstein participated in that event. If he was just Trump's excuse, then I don't see why he has to "redeem" himself.

Redemption might not be the right term. More like "Making it damn well clear he's not going to be the scapegoat".

When the eventual movie comes out, this part is going to be so awesome.

Trump: "They hired this guy named Mueller. Hah!"
*Adviser becomes wide eyed*
Adviser: "What have you done...."

Now I want a Count of Monte Cristo tale told with Trump interwoven. It turns out that he fucked Mueller over when they were kids.

Huh. Its almost John Wick

Trump = Rich mob boss's idiot son trying to play the boss
GOP = Mob boss trying to clear up his mess
Comey = Wicks dog
Mueller = John mother fucking Wick back from retirement.

Aurelio-John-Wick-.gif

giphy.gif

BBboy20

This is a heck of a read and is inspiring for myself honestly. With a lot of negative thoughts floated around about the country and where it's going when I read this seeing that there are people of this caliber out there gives me chills.
Dude sounds like the stuff fictional characters are made of. Apparently such a person does exist.

gkryhewy

The thing that amazes me is that - if you accept the basic premise as correct - there's a logical conclusion to that train of thought. And it's "Gosh, I must really have fucked up, then". Funnily, he's not got to that point yet. Or maybe he has, since the tweet appears to have been deleted...

I think he replaced it with a version where he spelled counsel correctly.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/19/us/politics/dana-rohrabacher-russia-spies.html?

Mr. Rohrabacher was drawn into the maelstrom this week when The Washington Post reported on an audio recording of Representative Kevin McCarthy of California, the House majority leader, saying last year, “There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump.” Mr. McCarthy said on Wednesday that he had made a joke that landed poorly.

But the F.B.I. has taken seriously the possibility that Russian spies would target American politicians. In a secure room at the Capitol, an F.B.I. agent told Mr. Rohrabacher in 2012 that Russian spies were trying to recruit him as an “agent of influence” — someone the Russian government might be able to use to steer Washington policy-making, former officials said.

Mr. Rohrabacher said in a telephone interview on Thursday that the meeting had focused on his contact with one member of the Russian Foreign Ministry, whom he recalled meeting on a trip to Moscow. “They were telling me he had something to do with some kind of Russian intelligence,” Mr. Rohrabacher said. He recalled the F.B.I. agent saying that Moscow “looked at me as someone who could be influenced.”

He's the most openly pro Russia politician I've ever seen. Either they already recruited him or they don't need to.

jelly

Shit is going to go down when people realise how thorough his investigation methods are and they start getting phone calls and requests etc. That's when it all comes crumbling down.

3rdman

My favorite bit from that article...

Yet even amid the stress of that time, Comey didn’t hesitate to force the issue of STELLAR WIND, standing up to the vice president. During one White House meeting, Comey said he couldn’t find a legal basis for the program.

“Others see it differently,” a scowling Cheney replied.

“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”

Luschient

“The analysis is flawed—in fact, fatally flawed. No lawyer reading that could reasonably rely on it,” Comey said, his hand sweeping across the table dismissively.

Cheney’s counsel, the famously aggressive David Addington, standing in the back of the room, spoke up: “Well, I’m a lawyer,” he snapped, “and I did.”

Comey shot back, “No good lawyer.”.

Damn, Comey not having ANY of that

giphy.gif

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
What exactly does it mean that the investigation is now criminal? Is it because they have evidence of specific criminal activity, or that the focus has turned to criminal behavior--with or without specific evidence?

Hope he's right

"Art of the Deal" co-writer: Trump will resign so he doesn't "lose" hill.cm/3FFGGgr

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/865568747729367041

Schwartz predicted that Trump will seek a way to turn resignation into victory.
“He wants to figure out a way — as he’s done all his career — to turn a loss into a victory,” the author said. "And so he will declare victory when he leaves.”

Schwartz published "The Art of the Deal" in 1987 as a co-writer with Trump. Since then, the book has sold more than a million copies.

The more I think on that article (politico comey, mueller profile)the more I think back that I didn't read anything like it late October last year. Article did a great deal filling me with confidence that these men are capable and just.

I'm guessing it just shows how much we didn't know what was going on behind the scenes at the time.

I honestly feel silly about it. at the time it really felt like a move made politically. That the FBI was trumplandia and It was an influence move.

We still don't know fully the happenings but I'm def more willing to wait for the honest reasons of what's going on that level.

The reason I doubt this is because Trump is playing a different game now, with its own set of past winners and losers. It's hard for me to buy that Trump's ego will allow him to not run for re-election and attempt to become a two term president (winner). He's talked so much shit about Reagan/Clinton/W/Obama that I can't help but feel he "has" to match their accomplishments.

Sephzilla

On the flipside I could see Trump resigning because then he could say he was never impeached and could say he never lost an election either.

I somewhat figured that he'd quit because he "accomplished everything he set out to do and did it in record time!" or some such shit. Now though? I think he's using the Presidency as something of a shield because he knows he's in deep shit.

He might say that the swamp wasn't ready for him and he will fight from the outside supporting president Pence, or some shit. That might be his most gracious out.

Pence pardons him and he gets some ceremonial bullshit role.

Jams775

On the flipside I could see Trump resigning because then he could say he was never impeached and could say he never lost an election either.

I think that'd just open him up to the criminal charges he's being investigated for though. They'd just have to skip the impeachment part.

Sephzilla

I think that'd just open him up to the criminal charges he's being investigated for though. They'd just have to skip the impeachment part.

Yeah well I'm also trying to factor in Trump's stupidity into it. He probably thinks that if he quits they'll stop coming after him

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Were Trump to quit now, would that lessen any blowback he has coming his way? For example, does continuing to be president during this investigation ensure that the charges will be worse? Would they be less severe if he resigned?

Sephzilla

Were Trump to quit now, would that lessen any blowback he has coming his way? For example, does continuing to be president during this investigation ensure that the charges will be worse? Would they be less severe if he resigned?

If anything I think it would cause the feds to come after him harder. Like Jams775 said, if he would resign I think that directly opens up him for getting arrested. Which is why I hope the moron resigns

Jams775

If anything I think it would cause the feds to come after him harder. Like Jams775 said, if he would resign I think that directly opens up him for getting arrested. Which is why I hope the moron resigns

Though I wonder what constitutes max level moron. I'd imagine it's "I'm untouchable" which means he'll never resign. He'll be in denial all the way to his grave and there will probably be some orange ghost somewhere haunting people about Hillary's emails.

Sephzilla

Trump going "I'm untouchable" would constitute intelligence though because the presidency gives him one extra level of armor from prose--- oh god i'm trying to analyze how deep the stupidity of Donald Trump goes

The thing that amazes me is that - if you accept the basic premise as correct - there's a logical conclusion to that train of thought. And it's "Gosh, I must really have fucked up, then". Funnily, he's not got to that point yet. Or maybe he has, since the tweet appears to have been deleted...

I mean, he's been doing shit like that all along the way. He's clearly incapable of putting it together.

"It's lies all lies. Also leaking is bad, thats the real crime!".

Um, so it's either a lie or a leak, it can't be both. By mentioning leaks he is implying they are true. But good luck telling him that.

Most incompetent cover up in history.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Though I wonder what constitutes max level moron. I'd imagine it's "I'm untouchable" which means he'll never resign. He'll be in denial all the way to his grave and there will probably be some orange ghost somewhere haunting people about Hillary's emails.
Max level moron would be to take his normal route and double down on his own actions once he's cornered.

"YEAH, I TOOK MONEY FROM RUSSIA. BUT I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. THE US PRESIDENT BEING A RUSSIAN PUPPET IS IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF AMERICA. COME AT ME BRO." etc.

Jams775

Trump going "I'm untouchable" would constitute intelligence though because the presidency gives him one extra level of armor from prose--- oh god i'm trying to analyze how deep the stupidity of Donald Trump goes
Yeah, it's always, "what's the smartest move they can make" when talking about someone in a situation. This is a pretty unique moment.

Max level moron would be to take his normal route and double down on his own actions once he's cornered.

"YEAH, I TOOK MONEY FROM RUSSIA. BUT I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WRONG. THE US PRESIDENT BEING A RUSSIAN PUPPET IS IN THE BEST INTERESTS OF AMERICA. COME AT ME BRO." etc.

Agreed. That's the worst he could do and it sounds exactly like something he'd say.

HotHamBoy

I'm comfortable betting that if he resigned he would believe it would end any investigations into him.

Mother fucker kicked the hornets nest. All his dirt is going to come out.

Sephzilla

Yeah Trump has frequently made it obvious that he has no idea how the presidency or government works, so I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks resigning will make it all go away. And he'd probably resign on an impulse and not tell any of his senior staff until he went on air.

Top Bottom