• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Steam boss Jason Holtman lands at Microsoft | Update: Left Microsoft.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
No doubt he was brought on as a last ditch effort to salvage GFWL and then when they realized it was too late both sides decided to cut ties.

Seems very likely. Won't stop the stream of "lolol" posts in this topic, though.

Tobor

Microsoft has bow been infiltrated by both Sony (Phil Harrison) and Valve with Jason. All their secrets and strategies just getting poured out to competition. /conspiracy

Why would anyone want to know Microsoft's secret strategies? To learn how not to fail?

I doubt that: the GFWL shutdown notice was posted on the AoE Online site just a few days after this thread was made, so it would have been set in motion before Holtman jumped on board.

Oh I see..hmmm

I think the interesting question now is why did he leave. Did he realize MS is a hopeless cause for PC gaming and then bailed out?

Updating my theory to this lol

Leb

A friend of mine saw Jason Holtman a few months back on the MS campus. He was a broken shell of a man, appearing disheveled and distraught, with the thousand yard stare of a man who had gazed into the abyss of Microsoft's divisional structure and saw things that no man should ever have to see.

I hear he's receiving the very best care at the Mental Health Center at Harborview.

Sounds more like after 8 years of the open ended management style at valve, where everyone has a voice and is all about cooperation, jason just didn't fit in Microsoft rigid corperate structure.

That and probably he realised that Microsoft had no intention of improving the PC market for gaming, only funneling indie titles into the Windows 8 store so they get a cut.

Don't be surprised if he ends up back at Valve or in some indie startup.

Uhhh... Good job making him feel welcome, MS.

Gabe ran for the hills from MS for a reason I guess.

The list of serious talent that has burned out at MS is troubling. One could argue it's the single most important attribute of effective management.

And a lot of the talent hasn't traveled far afterwards...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think his departure was related to one or both of Microsoft's intention to replace GFWL with something else (such as doubling-down on Windows Store exclusivity) and the company's inability to detach itself from the Xbox to improve its commitment to gaming on the PC side (something that must be particularly true now that some investors are calling on MS to ditch the Xbox).

A friend of mine saw Jason Holtman a few months back on the MS campus. He was a broken shell of a man, appearing disheveled and distraught, with the thousand yard stare of a man who had gazed into the abyss of Microsoft's divisional structure and saw things that no man should ever have to see.

I hear he's receiving the very best care at the Mental Health Center at Harborview.

microsoftguns.jpg

If Valve is as free-flowing a company as they're made out to be, he probably couldn't take the structure and more-than-likely bone-headed orders sent from the higher-ups.

JaseC

Thats fine with me. Leave PC gaming to Valve, no more of this GFW bs.

I know you meant GFWL, but I'd just like to say that the GFW initiative was practically useless itself since Microsoft quickly abandoned the idea of enforcing certification standards, such as controller support (I'm looking at you, pre-Steamworks Bio2).

I doubt that: the GFWL shutdown notice was posted on the AoE Online site just a few days after this thread was made, so it would have been set in motion before Holtman jumped on board.

Yeah. A few days is enough to put together an official notice to developers.

That notice was pulled for everything else.

JaseC

Yeah. A few days is enough to put together an official notice to developers.

That notice was pulled for everything else.

I don't expect Microsoft to make a formal announcement for another ~7 weeks (i.e. 3 months before the shutdown date).

HariKari

If someone as qualified as Holtman can't fit in at MS, then there are major culture problems over there. Microsoft was gifted a golden goose and basically tossed it aside. Or didn't give Jason a compelling reason to stay with them.

It must be some kind of mindfuck to go from Valve's structure to Microsoft, though.

still, lol.

They'll have no problem getting someone else just as smart. He accomplished something, but now its time for others to come in and do more.

That's a very corporate executive way of looking at it -- looking at people as "resources" -- but that's not true at his level. In my experience, every person brings a different set of abilities, strengths, weaknesses, experiences, and attitude/personality to the table, and you can't just replace Person A with Person B. Of course perhaps Valve wants someone with a different mindset/skillset to come in, but "get someone else just as smart" is an overly simplistic view of talent and even what being "smart" is.

edit: sorry, didn't realize this thread had been bumped from last year

I mainly game with console and only doing Football Manager on my pc (due to my crappy specs laptop). I'm accustomed to steam but not GFWL. Why do most people hate GFWL? How does it differ from steam?

Noob question I know LOL

You know how xbox 360 with xbox live has a monthly fee to play online?
MS tried that with gfwl on pc (and made halo 2 and gears gfwl only for that purpose)
Other than that gfwl used to also have some nasty limited activations drm

that's literally all that client was made for, as drm and to attempt to paywall pc gamers (which failed because pc is an open platform, thank fucking god did we ever dodge a bullet)

fuck gfwl and fuck ms

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It sort of does, Microsoft for the past year or so have been bringing games to the PC via Steam, it is actually better then nothing or GFWL believe it or not.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious MS sees no future in PC gaming.

Nah, they see a great future in PC gaming, a future they don't have to spend any money on outside of maintaining their stranglehold on the desktop OS market.

It makes perfect sense for them to invest their gaming dollars into Xbox instead where they have more control.

Where is that long MS & PC gaming post again?

maybe should be updated lol

2013: Hires former Steam boss: "Focused on making Windows a great platform for gaming."

2014: Holtman leaves.

Wiktor

Nah, they see a great future in PC gaming, a future they don't have to spend any money on outside of maintaining their stranglehold on the desktop OS market.

It makes perfect sense for them to invest their gaming dollars into Xbox instead where they have more control.

Seems pretty wasteful and foolish though. Windows has never faced a danger like this before. And in consumer space the main reason to stick to PC over mobile devices is gaming. Microsoft could have leveraged gaming to push Windows 8, as gamers are early adopters. What's more, by ignoring it they're bassicaly giving reins to it to other companies like Valve. And SteamOS might not be a threat right now, but in 5-10 years? Who knows. And Microsoft ignores it solely in pursuit of console gaming.

It's not like they don't have resources to support both, without any real canibalization. So to me it just seems like yet another case of Microsoft screwing up solely because of inside bickering. I suspect Xbox guys are sabotaging any effort at strenghtening PC gaming.

Wiktor

2013: Hires former Steam boss: "Focused on making Windows a great platform for gaming."

Few days before the news broke somebody from MS actually gave interview to RPS where they described how active they intend to be in pc space :D

Makes sense he'd leave, MS have dropped their 'plans' to have their own Steam 'approach' on X1 and that was probably the main reason he was brought in...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=88868188#post88868188

For people getting their hopes up. This is MS's various statements on their promise to PC gaming.

Sorry, but all MS is doing is blowing smoke up the ass of gullible people. So yea go ahead and get your hopes up and get excited. In a year or two when none of what they say comes to fruition...I'll pretend to act shocked.

Seems pretty wasteful and foolish though. Windows has never faced a danger like this before. And in consumer space the main reason to stick to PC over mobile devices is gaming. Microsoft could have leveraged gaming to push Windows 8, as gamers are early adopters. What's more, by ignoring it they're bassicaly giving reins to it to other companies like Valve. And SteamOS might not be a threat right now, but in 5-10 years? Who knows. And Microsoft ignores it solely in pursuit of console gaming.

It's not like they don't have resources to support both, without any real canibalization. So to me it just seems like yet another case of Microsoft screwing up solely because of inside bickering. I suspect Xbox guys are sabotaging any effort at strenghtening PC gaming.

Great post.

Home users are moving to tablets, I imagine tablet sales far exceed home laptop sales these days. SteamOS may be a tipping point for PC gamers. I imagine most of us will give it a shot, dual boot, and we'll see which developers make the move themselves.

Top Bottom