• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

This is likely compounded by the car being overweight and having no room for ballast to improve balance.

Surprising that it's not mandated tbh but then I've seen races where the bottle wasn't working so I guess you'd have to retire the car.

From motorsport.Com
"Also I don't carry drinks in my car either to save weight, so I'm not having a drink through the race. And then at the end, I used everything I had left when I jumped into my team and my heart rate hit the ceiling.

"I was good when I got out of the car but jumping into... I don't know if I will do that again. I was a little bit tired after that one."

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said he was not concerned about Hamilton sounding so exhausted on the radio.

"I think it was just an expression of how hard he was pushing," he said.

"When you need to follow a car that close behind, you obviously haven't got the aerodynamic benefit of the guy in front. That is difficult. He gave it all and you could hear it on the radio."

Yup, that's just stupid. You can preload massively, but in the wrong conditions you're going to get mashed up.

I'm also wondering if sacking his trainer might explain why he sounded so unfit on the radio. No way he should have been blowing like that.

Mohonky

Rhats a bit shocking to hear he went without a water bottle to be honest.

I know the Merc is a bit heavy, but Hamilton should really rethink that one.

BigAl1992

I have to agree with everyone here. You can preload with as much fluids as you want, but in a race situation like that, you going to lose a lot of fluids from sweat alone. The FIA really need to step in here, because we're talking about a person's actual health here being affected due to dehydration in race conditions.

He also didn't need to push himself or the car and could mostly cruise to the podium, while the two fastest teams on the grid were pushing themselves fairly high up until the last couple of laps. The gap in qualifying wasn't that large.

Confirmation that they were cruising, but there's still a noticeable gap between Mercedes/Ferrari and Red Bull.

Ricciardo finished on the podium, but crossed the line 73 seconds adrift of Hamilton, with Horner revealing Red Bull adopted a cautious approach once the picture of the race was clear.

"Daniel obviously had a pretty lonely race, benefitting from Bottas' retirement," Horner explained. "Pretty much halfway through the race we turned the engine down to try and save engine life.

"Obviously it's got to do quite a few events, and the pace to the front running cars was pretty significant. We've still got plenty to do, we made some progress here this weekend, it's given us a very clear development direction, hopefully we'll be looking to capitalise on that on coming races."

Horner conceded that Red Bull's deficit was larger in race-trim than over one lap, believing it has to make progress in understanding the tyres.

"I think the delta was a lot bigger in the race," Horner commented on Red Bull's lack of pace. "Daniel didn't look as happy with his car this weekend as Max but I'm not suggesting Max would have been 20 seconds up the road, there's still issues in that when you have a gap like that.

"The way you're working the tyres is a key element, particularly on this track, it gives an interesting workout on the tyres.

"We can see it's an area where we're giving away performance [as] we look relatively more competitive in the second half of the race than the first."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/353235/horner-ricciardo-s-engine-saved-mid-race/

DBT85

Yup, that's just stupid. You can preload massively, but in the wrong conditions you're going to get mashed up.

I'm also wondering if sacking his trainer might explain why he sounded so unfit on the radio. No way he should have been blowing like that.

Suggestion is that because they now have an actual rival they are pushing flat out so it's harder on the drivers, on top of higher g forces anyway with the new rules.

He said before the season that he wanted to go without a trainer as a test of himself.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
That's not what Bernie meant when he said "Don't drink and drive"
Actually I think Bernie says "think before you drive", which is also applicable here. It's nice to know that by resorting to such measures, Mercedes thinks they have real competition.

Suggestion is that because they now have an actual rival they are pushing flat out so it's harder on the drivers, on top of higher g forces anyway with the new rules.

He said before the season that he wanted to go without a trainer as a test of himself.

He's an idiot then. Stick to what you're good at, let others worry about what they're good at.

...and even with the higher g-forces, pushing etc, he still shouldn't have been panting like that.

Lego Boss

Yeah, I thought he was one of the fitter drivers (not that any of them are unfit), but he was blowing like Thomas the Tank around there.

I know the new cars are hard to drive, but it's not exactly Senna at Interlargos is it?

Needs to take his dog (Bruno, Cosmo, Don't Kno) out for more walks.

Not sure if this was discussed here but apparently Hamilton asked to remove the fluids bottle from his car. I usually don't approve of adding new rules but in this case it should be forbidden to take them out. You can be in perfect physical health, but you can't stop your organism from dehydrating in hot conditions.
I read it and shook my head. That is fucking dangerous and shouldnt be allowed.

Zeknurn

Tyre selection is back.

lLgvw7c.jpg

Ark

The one thing I miss about old FOM are the race edits.

The new YouTube highlights are fantastic for getting new fans in, but I did love the race edits :(

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm sort of fine with Red Bull billboards on the track, because that's the point of the team being in the sport.

But this goes way too far. Why would you ruin such a beautiful car with your shitty livery?

It's beautiful. Best livery on the grid in at least a decade.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm sort of fine with Red Bull billboards on the track, because that's the point of the team being in the sport.

But this goes way too far. Why would you ruin such a beautiful car with your shitty livery?

Leave the matte blue, though.

dubc35

It's probably a vinyl wrap that will be promptly removed once the marketing events are done.

Zaru

Pirelli finally realized that the hard tyres are useless and went one compound softer for Silverstone to start with.

Mastah

What's the problem with hard tyres? Don't want it? Don't use it and choose only 1 set, the same as almost everyone has done for Monaco with softs.

Zeknurn

If all the teams gravitate to the softer compounds it makes sense to shift the selection further to the soft end of the scale.

Ideally you'd want the teams to do an even spread between all three available compounds instead of it being lopsided like now.

Aiii

So not worth it
Jos Verstappen is now officially working for Red Bull as Marko Helmut's right hand man in driver development. He's going to be at the next Formula Renault race to supervise Richard Verschoor, Neil Verhagen and Daniel Ticktum, all RB Juniors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom