• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

Perez done absolute jack at mclaren, he aint getting a ferrari seat

He wasnt amazing, but I think it was maybe too soon for him going from 'if you get points we're happy' to a team that expects podiums (lol at the thought now). But I think that was his only downfall is he might have buckled a bit, his performance in the Force India these past few seasons should demonstrate he's ready for another go at a big team.

Zaru

He wasnt amazing, but I think it was maybe too soon for him going from 'if you get points we're happy' to a team that expects podiums (lol at the thought now). But I think that was his only downfall is he might have buckled a bit, his performance in the Force India these past few seasons should demonstrate he's ready for another go at a big team.

McLaren has been the destroyer of driver souls since 2013.
Perez spent years recovering his reputation, Magnussen kinda never did, Button retired with nothing to show and seemed happy to leave, and Alonso is so sick of it that he'd rather drive Indy500.
Not to mention Vandoorne, who looked absolutely amazing in everything before F1, is suffering heavy damage to his self-confidence and reputation.

MANGOD

Banned
I just can't see ferrari going for a mid teir driver, they are looking to win championships at the end of the day. If Kimi aint staying on that seat is going to Alonso or one of the red bull drivers.
Id like to see what Hulkenburg could do in a decent car but to me Perez aint a driver that is going to win and an easy number 2 driver at best. Sorry Checo

Theorry

I just can't see ferrari going for a mid teir driver, they are looking to win championships at the end of the day. If Kimi aint staying on that seat is going to Alonso or one of the red bull drivers.
Id like to see what Hulkenburg could do in a decent car but to me Perez aint a driver that is going to win and an easy number 2 driver at best. Sorry Checo

Thats exaclty what they want. Barichello, Massa, Kimi. Clear second driver roles.

Joni

They don't want a racer that can win. They want a racer that can come in second. They have a racer that can win.

Loris146

Alonso won't come back to Ferrari. No one ( in Ferrari ) wants him in the team.

xrnzaaas

Surprise of the race is Force India not scoring any points even though they finished

Yeah pretty much. Perez had a nice run, however I don't think he'd do a better job in Ferrari than Kimi (and he's not as nearly as popular, so he won't be that good for them from the marketing side). Kimi just needs a reprimend a few times over the course of the season so that he regains lost pace. ;)

Mastah

Tobi Grüner @tgruener 2m2 minutes ago

Button to receive 3 place penalty for next race for collision with Wehrlein. Plus 2 penalty points. Will not be transferred to Alonso. #AMuS

LOL

tonka

I think Perez might have really lost out in the silly season this year.
Romain made the right choice to continue on the Ferrari path, and the Hulk took the renault chance that can and probably will work out, staying where he is kind of makes him look stagnant.

I think he probably has more talent than GRO, but he hasn't played the game well enough.
He's still pumping out those points finishes (aside from today) so he's not ruled out just yet.

John_B

Perez done absolute jack at mclaren, he aint getting a ferrari seat
To be fair McLaren started their current streak of shit performance that exact season. They made Button, Perez, Magnussen, Alonso and now also Vandoorne look bad.

Perez will deliver strong performances if he is given a proper contract.

Zaru

I think Perez might have really lost out in the silly season this year.

Did he? Everything sounded like he's made some LONG-term decision he's quite happy about, and that's not something he should feel while stuck at Fourth India, as great as they are for their budget.

Spades

Have to admit, I think the penalty is a little harsh for Jenson. Almost every overtake at Monaco will only not end in the wall if you have co-operation from the driver you're overtaking. Watching from Jenson's onboard camera - a gap was clearly there, for a brief moment, and he was clearly banking on Pascal seeing him and giving him room.

To be clear, I'm not saying it wasn't Jenson's fault, but it's not like he just ploughed into the side of someone - it wasn't enough to justify a penalty IMO at all.

Zaru

Indy500 is about to start.

Have to admit, I think the penalty is a little harsh for Jenson. Almost every overtake at Monaco will only not end in the wall if you have co-operation from the driver you're overtaking. Watching from Jenson's onboard camera - a gap was clearly there, for a brief moment, and he was clearly banking on Pascal seeing him and giving him room.

To be clear, I'm not saying it wasn't Jenson's fault, but it's not like he just ploughed into the side of someone - it wasn't enough to justify a penalty IMO at all.

The real joke is a one-time replacement driver getting a penalty. I mean, I know why they have to do it, but the immediate effect is kinda ... lost

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Indy500 is about to start.

The real joke is a one-time replacement driver getting a penalty. I mean, I know why they have to do it, but the immediate effect is kinda ... lost

They gave him the penalty on the off chance that he finds himself on the grid at the next race. I know it's unlikely, but stranger things have happened.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
He's not officially retired. And depending on whether Alonso leaves or not, he might find himself back next year.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
He's not officially retired. And depending on whether Alonso leaves or not, he might find himself back next year.

I don't think he could have made his distaste of returning much clearer.

It definitely sounded like a contractual obligation, to an extent.

Not to poop over Vettel's "accomplishment" but if anyone knew only one thing about Kimi is that he never BS

Amid suggestions his race strategy was chosen in a way that would benefit Vettel's title hopes, when asked why he pitted when he did, Raikkonen added: "I was called in. That is about it.

"Obviously they had reasons for it, but it is not up to me to answer.

"I can stop the car if I like [in the pits] as I am driving it, but we work as a team and if you don't believe what you have been told or how it works it will get very complicated.

"Today as a team we wanted a one-two, it happened, but for myself, I could have done a bit better.

"I haven't seen the big picture, I only know that we came second.

"The team got a one-two, which is great for the team, but the rest - until we have meetings and we can see all the graphs I don't know."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/129822

It was very clear and, unfortunately, very logical.. The only way for Kimi to win it was to have any car wedged between the two.. This is the 11th season for Ferrari without trophies, it'll be disastrous to lose this year's in the name of "fairness"

Raikkonen asked when he was pitting, and supposedly it was a pre-agreed lap target. At the end of the day, if he wanted the win, he should have driven faster.

All this conspiracy / team orders shit is hilarious.

apotema

Perez is the best option by far. He has done a great job the last 2 years, except today, although he tried a lot of ballsy moves

f0rk

Raikkonen asked when he was pitting, and supposedly it was a pre-agreed lap target. At the end of the day, if he wanted the win, he should have driven faster.

All this conspiracy / team orders shit is hilarious.

They didn't focus on it that much on Channel 4 but the BBC website is calling it controversial, I don't really get it. I assume Sky was playing it up as well?

DBT85

Sad Kimi didn't get the win. Not seen the race so can't comment on what's happened.

Damage limitation for Lewis on a difficult circuit to do much of anything at all.

Oh sod off, Wax. Seriously, we can do without your shitposting.

I really don't know why you guys do this to yourselves.

Pryce

Kimi didn't help himself today. He wasn't able to put a gap on Vettel, and after pit stops Kimi went from under two seconds back to 12 seconds back before th safety car.

I hope Perez gets the ride next year. He's the best option.

Kimi didn't help himself today. He wasn't able to put a gap on Vettel, and after pit stops Kimi went from under two seconds back to 12 seconds back before th safety car.

I hope Perez gets the ride next year. He's the best option.
He did that because there was no point in going fast. It's a 1 stop race and you can't overtake on track.

Kyougar

He did that because there was no point in going fast. It's a 1 stop race and you can't overtake on track.

well, if the strategy was to safeguard against a Vettel undercut through a big gap....

Regardless, Ferrari cares about WDC's. You can play fair with your drivers when you have several WDC's in the last years and not thirst for one since 2006. Kimi can be sad about his lost win but he probably has a number 2 clause.

And really, he was shit for the last 3 years, you cant fault Ferrari for not gifting him a win on the one race he got a pole on a track that has no overtake opportunities when Vettel is clearly faster. If this was any other track, Vettel and probably some others would have eaten him in the first 20 laps.

well, if the strategy was to safeguard against a Vettel undercut through a big gap....

Regardless, Ferrari cares about WDC's. You can play fair with your drivers when you have several WDC's in the last years and not thirst for one since 2006. Kimi can be sad about his lost win but he probably has a number 2 clause.

And really, he was shit for the last 3 years, you cant fault Ferrari for not gifting him a win on the one race he got a pole on a track that has no overtake opportunities when Vettel is clearly faster. If this was any other track, Vettel and probably some others would have eaten him in the first 20 laps.

He was pretty much on par with Vettel last year.

Zaru

Tbf I don't think Vettel was super motivated last year like he is now.

For context, Vettel was 7:2 ahead in qualifying results and then Kimi actually surpassed him in the second half of the season when it was clear that Ferrari wasn't going to be a contender that year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom