• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
I firmly believe Kubica will be better able to control a F1 steering wheel than Lance Stroll, even with a bad arm.

Spades

squint-and-it-could-be-the-real-thing.jpg

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/russi...utbrain-uk-00fa25c2090bb88e29e958600d09670637

Grug

I recommend 1: Life On The Limit. I watched it few days ago it's really, really good.

Thanks, watched it last night. Incredibly good documentary, clearly made with love. Blown away by a lot of the footage... a lot of it must have been tricky to track down.

Very emotional in parts. The on track death of Roger Williamson in particular, especially with David Purley's desperatation at being unable to help.

Also a bit chilling the way it ends (in 2012), talking as though they are finally entering a golden age of F1 safety. We all know what happened with Bianchi a couple of years later. :(

xrnzaaas

:)

Renault has officially confirmed Robert Kubica's test (he complained about the car behaving poorly lol). And, what's more important, Robert has completed 115 laps! (race distance on the Ricardo Tormo track would be about 75-80 laps)

111s1upb.jpg

222pmuxc.jpg

333iquz9.jpg

444ktu00.jpg

555fpuvc.jpg

BigAl1992

:)

Renault has officially confirmed Robert Kubica's test (he complained about the car behaving poorly lol). And, what's more important, Robert has completed 115 laps! (race distance on the Ricardo Tormo track would be about 75-80 laps)

111s1upb.jpg

222pmuxc.jpg

333iquz9.jpg

444ktu00.jpg

555fpuvc.jpg

If I were Palmer, I'd be very concerned right now. That said, I'd love to see Kubica back in F1. The guy should've been challenging for the World Title in 2013 with Lotus, God Damn it.

Zaru

Man, Kubica has been gone for so long and yet he's only 32 (a month older than Hamilton).
I don't know how realistic it is to get anywhere close to his prime but seeing him push onwards after his accident is almost Zanardi levels of inspiring.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
I've read unconfirmed reports that Kubica was setting faster lap times than current Renault junior, Sergey Sirotkin. I don't know if that is meaningful in this sort of test.

h3ro

Renault put the #9 on his car because that was the one he was going to select prior to his accident.

Amazing on their part to put this together for him. I needed this kind of feel-good story today.

Dilly

Banned
Mixed emotions seeing that helmet back in an F1 car though. Was my favourite driver in F1 up until that accident.

BigAl1992

Is this test just a proof of concept for Kubica or does this test means something else for Kubica?

This test, along with a previous test inside a GP3 and a Formula E, were basically to see if he could drive inside a closed cockpit, as that injured arm of his meant he had to drive with his arm at an angle to reduce the amount of pressure on it. The fact that was able to do 115 laps inside a 2012 spec F1 car suggests that he's comfortable driving with his arm fully extended, and if he can do the same inside the cockpit of one of this years cars, then it could lead to him making a return back into Formula One.

Mastah

He was always enigmatic about it, said he wouldn't want to test F1 car for the sake of it, because it would hurt him to get these feelings back only to be unable to return to where he was before his unfortunate accident. But this year he mentioned he's finally ready to participate in a test and for the last few months he was saying his goal is something, which seemed impossible not that long ago. Who knows really.

BTW. https://twitter.com/alo_oficial/status/872155821005787136 https://twitter.com/AussieGrit/status/872156477838032901 :)

DBT85

Man, Kubica has been gone for so long and yet he's only 32 (a month older than Hamilton).
I don't know how realistic it is to get anywhere close to his prime but seeing him push onwards after his accident is almost Zanardi levels of inspiring.

Have to think he would still be faster than some of the grid even if he's only at 90% of his previous best.

Hope he manages to get back in if its what he wants.

kiyomi

Wow, just read about Kubica's test day. I didn't realise he'd be doing so many laps. Just seeing he did 115 laps has changed my perception from "it's just a bit of fun for RK and a nice gesture from Renault" to "maybe he can do this and Renault are legitimately checking him out".

It would be an amazing story and to be honest, as long as he isn't in a world of pain for a GP distance, I fail to see how he could be any worse than Palmer.

If he felt fit and ready, and the FIA gave clearance, for the last 6 or 7 races of the year or something, why not put him in? It's not like Renault are gonna be fighting for much this year and Hulk will steadily get the points he can. I honestly believe we could see him make a comeback. And that'd be so, so exciting.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Does Kubica even have the superlicense points to drive a race though?

He doesn't, but there's this:

"Under exceptional circumstances Appendix L also allows the FIA to award a Super Licence to a driver who does not meet the normal criteria if a vote reveals unanimous agreement by the members, and provided that the driver has completed 300 kilometres of testing at racing speeds in a current car."

dakun

surely this is preparations for something bigger? I mean who does 115 laps without a clear goal?

To me that sounds like them wanting to see if Kubica is up for a comeback.

Rehab from an injury that severe takes a SHITLOAD of time, that's assuming it's possible at all. It may literally be that he's only just got enough movement back to make it a possibility.

Hell, I dislocated my shoulder a month ago and I still can't change gear in my car. Now imagine essentially cutting your arm in half.

BigAl1992

As much as I'd love to see Bobby K back in F1, I can't help but think if he was able to he would be there already.. :/

As Psycho just said above, Kubica had his lower arm partially severed, so that was always going to take years of rehabilitation. Yes, he was competing in events, but as I said earlier, it wasn't in a closed cockpit as he had to hold the steering wheel at an angle to prevent any further injury to his arm. It's likely that he only got comfortable again in an enclosed cockpit, and also the mobility back as his arm was well and truly fucked. I will say though, 115 laps inside a 2012 spec car suggests they have plans in place for him. I wouldn't rule out seeing him on a Friday practice session this season for Renault after today.

The Pole completed 115 laps of the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in the Renault-powered E20, used by Lotus in the 2012 season, conducting several evaluations with various fuel loads.

"I would like to thank everybody for making this possible, I hope it was a good day for everyone and maybe they saw something of my old, 2010 self," he said.

"For me, it has been an important day from an emotional point of view. It has been a long time away from the paddock and I have been through difficult periods, I kept working hard and a few years ago I felt it was impossible.

"I have mixed feelings, I am proud with what I achieved, but also it shows what I have lost. I don't know what the future will bring, but I know one thing, after working for more than one year to prepare for this, I ran with good pace and consistent in difficult conditions.

"It is not easy after six years, but I knew I could do the job and I can be satisfied. I appreciate the opportunity. Renault gave me my first F1 test in 2005, so I appreciate another test this time around."

Sporting Director Alan Permane praised Kubica's effort during the one-day test, in which current test driver Sergey Sirotkin also participated.

"It was good to see Robert back in a Formula 1 car," said Permane. "It was a smooth day. We tried to condense a Grand Prix weekend into one day, which was interesting for him.

"Robert has changed a little, he is more mellow and he wasn't as pushy when asking for every detail about the set-up of the car! His comments and feedback, however, were like turning the clock back for all of us."

"It is a tricky thing to jump into an F1 car after six years and it was a great performance from him.
"This was a one-off event for Robert. His time with Renault was cut short so abruptly and we perceived such a nice future with him."

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/354170/kubica-explains-mixed-feelings-after-f1-run/

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Great to see him back in an F1 car but I don't think he'll ever be lining up on the grid again, the BBC article said he wouldn't be able to drive the tighter circuits like monaco that require a lot more full lock steering movements so I think unfortunately there would be major concerns that he wouldn't have full control over the car in an emergency situation.

xrnzaaas

Great to see him back in an F1 car but I don't think he'll ever be lining up on the grid again, the BBC article said he wouldn't be able to drive the tighter circuits like monaco that require a lot more full lock steering movements so I think unfortunately there would be major concerns that he wouldn't have full control over the car in an emergency situation.

So give that one GP to Button. Or Webber. ;)

Mastah

Mark Hughes says the opposite:

What was significant about these earlier tests was they allowed him to assess whether the limited articulation of his injured right arm still prevented him from being able to steer within the confines of a single-seater's cockpit. The Franciacorta circuit was chosen for the fact that it features two tight hairpins that require a lot of steering lock. Kubica was reportedly delighted to find that the arm no longer presented a problem, that it was now possible for it to function without being held out at an angle that had previously prevented it from fitting into such an enclosed space.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/kubica-comeback-cards

BTW:

Mark Hughes • 7 hours ago

Update: I understand he was VERY fast yesterday...

So happy to see Kubica back in a F1 car. I really hope he can race again. He was so quick and always seemed like a nice guy. I also have a soft spot for him after watching his horrible Montreal crash right in front of my grandstand and feeling that awful dread thinking he was certainly dead as his head bobbled lifelessly in the cockpit as it came to a standstill. Thank god he was ok, but morever, seeing him win that race the following year forever sealed him as a favorite driver for me.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't care how fast or slow he was, I don't have to see times to know he could drive circles around Palmer even with one arm, so make it happen.

if I was in any position of power within Renault and if the tests went as swimmingly as they seem to be, I'd replace Palmer straight away, Hulkenberg and Kubica would be a monster pairing and coupled to a competitive chassis you'd have a solid team. Alas the Palmer bucks will ensure he stays in Renault.

I really wouldn't get any hopes up, unless there s solid evidence that this test was more than a one-off for both parties. I'll eat my hat if he's going to replace Palmer anytime soon. Not that I care either way.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
It might be possible, I don't rate any of Renault's junior drivers very highly. Kubica is a better driver than Nicholas Latifi, that's for sure.

John_B

Stroll is allowed to race though.

BigAl1992

So.....this is being talked about;

McLaren 'near our limit' with Honda as Zak Brown issues warning

McLaren have given their strongest indication yet they are considering a future without Honda, after Zak Brown said they have "serious concerns" about their engine provider's title-winning potential.

In an interview with Reuters, Brown confirmed a planned engine upgrade for this weekend's Canadian GP had been delayed and said that, despite no shortage of effort, Honda "seem a bit lost" with their F1 programme.

You don't say. BUT WAIT, there's more;

Brown, who joined McLaren last November, has continuously stressed the Woking team's commitment to Honda but says they are now reaching a period when decisions have to be made.

"It will all come together," said Brown.

"There's lots of things that go into the decision and we're entering that window now of 'which way do you go when you come to the fork in the road'."

Take a hint, mate; go with the turn that doesn't involve Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom