• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_B

Vettel accelerated around the corner and slammed his brakes yet Perez managed to not drive into the back of him.

How could that be?

NLKQPjJ.jpg

Vettel accelerated around the corner and slammed his brakes yet Perez managed to not drive into the back of him.

How could that be?

NLKQPjJ.jpg

It's almost as if leaving enough space so that you don't crash if the car in front slows by 6Mph over the course of 1.5 seconds, means that you won't crash ;D

Looking forward to the next race so we can be past this tediousness...

...and onto new entertainment when Vettel gets his 1 race ban!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looking forward to the next race so we can be past this tediousness...

...and onto new entertainment when Vettel gets his 1 race ban!

That would be the appropriate penalty for the intentional collision to me. The points and drive through were not enough. I know it did no damage, but that should not be the threshold.

AlphaMale

Any thoughts on what was going on with the Mercs on the final straight?

Bottas caught Stroll by over a second (at least so someone claimed) and Hamilton was way faster than Vettel as well and nearly got him, after failing to catch him for many laps.

Ever watch a marathon during the Olympics or a Tour de France long bike race? When a racer sees the finish line, they're just relieved and coast to the end.
All too often, the guy from behind will catch and pass them right before the finish line.

It's mind-boggling that Stroll wouldn't be able to defend a few corners to the end if he had tried. Chalk this up to Amateur Hour from Stroll!

Spades

It's almost as if leaving enough space so that you don't crash if the car in front slows by 6Mph over the course of 1.5 seconds, means that you won't crash ;D

The gap was never the issue. Reacting poorly to the situation that unfolded in front was the issue.

eIbCFlD.jpg

Drivers make mistakes - even the very best of them. It's going to happen when you have to make snap reactions. They are fighting for a WDC - if you think they're giving any more room than they have to, you're very much mistaken.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
FIA further investigation confirmed:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/130449/fia-launches-vettel-baku-investigation

If, hypothetically, Seb gets a race ban - it would at least be a good chance for Ferrari to make their engine changes and catch up on an issue that would only develop for them further down the season. Every cloud and all.

From BBC article
It is understood Hamilton's driving in the incident is not in question and the hearing will focus on Vettel's behaviour.

The FIA warned Vettel after an incident in the Mexican Grand Prix last year - when he swore over the radio at race director Charlie Whiting - that he could face a tribunal in the event of any future incident of a similar nature.

Massa

Really hope there's another SC in the next race. If Hamilton actually break tests him then Vettel might just completely lose his mind.

The gap was never the issue. Reacting poorly to the situation that unfolded in front was the issue.

eIbCFlD.jpg

Drivers make mistakes - even the very best of them. It's going to happen when you have to make snap reactions. They are fighting for a WDC - if you think they're giving any more room than they have to, you're very much mistaken.

Eh.

Someone asked why Perez didn't have the same issue Vettel had of a car slowing down abruptly, such as when Vettel crashed into Lewis.

The answer is that Perez wasn't trying to ride the gearbox of the car ahead and had enough time to react, even though Vettels deceleration after the crash was many times sharper than Hamilton's.

Which is the truth.

All the other stuff you're saying is neither here nor there in the context of the conversation I was having. Especially regarding Vettels staunch denial that he could have done anything wrong, be it a mistake or a malicious attack. I don't think a "but Hamilton makes mistakes too" really has any bearing on my point.

Spades

Eh.

Someone asked why Perez didn't have the same issue Vettel had of a car slowing down abruptly, such as when Vettel crashed into Lewis.

The answer is that Perez wasn't trying to ride the gearbox of the car ahead and had enough time to react, even though Vettels deceleration after the crash was many times sharper than Hamilton's.

Which is the truth.

All the other stuff you're saying is neither here nor there in the context of the conversation I was having. Especially regarding Vettels staunch denial that he could have done anything wrong, be it a mistake or a malicious attack. I don't think a "but Hamilton makes mistakes too" really has any bearing on my point.

No, but the sarcasm was written in a way to portray Vettel as a complete cock for driving too close. The part where he was a complete cock came later - I don't think anyone can really suggest that he shouldn't have been so close prior to the apex.

Fox Mulder

Really hope there's another SC in the next race. If Hamilton actually break tests him then Vettel might just completely lose his mind.

Vettel has to behave himself until at least after the British GP when points fall off or whatever. Hamilton should play mind games.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No, but the sarcasm was written in a way to portray Vettel as a complete cock for driving too close. The part where he was a complete cock came later - I don't think anyone can really suggest that he shouldn't have been so close prior to the apex.

I think you are partly right, but the point is he gambled, as many of them do, and lost by hitting Hamilton, and could not deal with it and instead escalated into intentionally hitting him again.

The first incident should net him a penalty like a drivethru, which we've seen given to others who don't "leave enough room" and cause contact and the second should be a race ban offense. He is at fault in both instances but they have different magnitudes of intent and separation from a race incident.

Par Score

That is what caused the crash, it's only on Hamilton. The data clearly shows that brake testing did happen.

Looks like Vettel fans take after the man himself and refuse to admit when they're wrong.

The stewards and the FIA have made it very clear regarding this incident:

Hamilton did not "break check" Vettel.
Hamilton in fact did absolutely nothing wrong.
Hamilton has not and will not be penalised nor investigated further.
Vettel crashed into Hamilton twice.
The first crash was an accident caused by carelessness.
The second crash was an intentional action cause by malice.
Vettel has already been penalised and could face further penalties.

These are the facts, backed up by evidence. Accept them, admit you were wrong, and move on.

Spades

I think you are partly right, but the point is he gambled, as many of them do, and lost by hitting Hamilton, and could not deal with it and instead escalated into intentionally hitting him again.

Agreed - nobody can or should defend Seb's actions following the initial contact, but the first tap was obviously a racing incident caused by neither driver wanting to give an inch and therefore one making an error. That's the only point I was arguing - people calling out Seb for being a cock initially.

With the evidence of the telemetry it is clear Vettel needs to first apologize and admit his mistake. Second, a race ban is in order for the intentional hit, imo. Don't give a shit what the circumstances are. If you intentionally hit another car, the penalties need to be severe. It is a disgrace to the sport and sets a dangerous precedent. I am so disappointed with Vettel. Just as Ferrari were getting a good season together he goes and acts like a complete dipshit.

I am a life long Ferrari fan and prefer Vettel over Hamilton all day, but there is no arguing this one. Vettel is 100% at fault and deserves whatever penalties they throw at him.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Agreed - nobody can or should defend Seb's actions following the initial contact, but the first tap was obviously a racing incident caused by neither driver wanting to give an inch and therefore one making an error. That's the only point I was arguing - people calling out Seb for being a cock initially.

Were they really, though?

There was one comment that was just a gentle facetious ribbing about his clumsiness compared with the driver behind who left a gap. Unless I've missed something there was nothing worth getting upset about.

John_B

It's like beating a dead horse now. It was my sarcastic response to how people were arguing that the fault was solely with Hamilton for the way he drove around the corner. I would still call it as a racing incident with no further action.

However the penalty for wheel banging was fair and I feel like how Vettel was alluding to doing it on purpose maybe should cost him a penalty that is more than a handful of points effectively.

Spades

It's like beating a dead horse now. It was my sarcastic response to how people were arguing that the fault was solely with Hamilton for the way he drove around the corner. I would still call it as a racing incident with no further action.

However the penalty for wheel banging was fair and I feel like how Vettel was alluding to doing it on purpose maybe should cost him a penalty that is more than a handful of points effectively.

In which case I apologise as I misunderstood.

I'm hoping the Force India/One camp can settle down. Was hoping for a clean race from PEZ/OCO so as to not amplify any tension. Even though it looks like a fairly inconspicuous coming together on the straight, I'm sure either one of them could feel like there was malice behind it. The way I see it, both are two great drivers but PER isn't going to give an inch to OCO until the team needs him to. I feel like he wants OCO to pass him as he would any other driver and that's fine. Ocon seems to have his head firmly on those shoulders and both have been performing well so I hope the incidents ease off a little bit.

Lego Boss

With the evidence of the telemetry it is clear Vettel needs to first apologize and admit his mistake. Second, a race ban is in order for the intentional hit, imo. Don't give a shit what the circumstances are. If you intentionally hit another car, the penalties need to be severe. It is a disgrace to the sport and sets a dangerous precedent. I am so disappointed with Vettel. Just as Ferrari were getting a good season together he goes and acts like a complete dipshit.

I am a life long Ferrari fan and prefer Vettel over Hamilton all day, but there is no arguing this one. Vettel is 100% at fault and deserves whatever penalties they throw at him.

No way will the FIA ban a Ferrari from a race.

Bad optics.

Perhaps a points deduction (not actually sure if that is viable to be honest)>

Yagami_Sama

I think that Giovinazzi is Ferrari current third driver, right ? Not sure if they will allow him to drive, but it would be interesting to see him, "feeling" the pressure of drive a Ferrari.

Vettel being investigated again has everything to do with him being penalised and still finishing with more points than Lewis the last race.
Not exactly "fair" because Lewis' headrest issue was not a predictable issue, but whatever.

John_B

Vettel being investigated again has everything to do with him being penalised and still finishing with more points than Lewis the last race.
Not exactly "fair" because Lewis' headrest issue was not a predictable issue, but whatever.
The FIA was already lenient with Vettel last season for his radio message to Whiting. He was technically penalized in the race but circumstances saw him gaining in the championship.

I think they will disqualify him from Baku if the rules allows it.

Grug

I reckon they'll fine him out the wazoo and/or maybe dock him another 2 demerit points (keeping him just under the magic 12) but won't want to mess with the WDC race nor the drama and hype for next race.

John_B

I reckon they'll fine him out the wazoo and/or maybe dock him another 2 demerit points (keeping him just under the magic 12) but won't want to mess with the WDC race nor the drama and hype for next race.
Vettel once paid a hefty amount of money out of his own pocket to have an additional front-wing produced and shipped to a race.

The FIA likely wants to penalize Vettel in a way that will make him think about his behaviour in the future.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I passed on it because of the green color.

I love the speed champions line though. Got the Audi and Porsche lmp cars, the ford gt set, and the Ferrari SF16.

I'd prefer a big Technic build of the Merc, to be honest. Got the Ferrari from some years ago, and the 911 is an amazing build.

G-Unit

Jokes on you haters, whether he gets banned or not I'm pretty sure he will win the championship. Quote me for shame or glory. Actually that could be a nice tag.

Upinsmoke

I disagree with banning him from a race or deducting points. The decision was made during the race, they could of black flagged him, they didn't. If he gets a points reduction or a one race ban it's actually penalising him in two successive races. They made the mistake of giving him a stop go penalty, what they should of done is either black flagged him or waited till the end of the race and decided on the punishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom