• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... What?

I probably shouldn't encourage you, but do you have a link?

The owner is Hans Kristian Rausing. Honda's Yamamoto revealed his name in an interview on Japanese F1-Life website. Google him.

Joe Saward recently crossed paths with him, on his blog:

Sauber played a big part in my weekend in Austria, largely because I had, let’s say, a lively discussion with the owner, who did not like what I had written about the team. He made the fatal mistake (as do many blog posters) of accusing a journalist of bias. Hell hath no fury… When he asked me why I had not got his views on the subject I replied that if he came to more races it would be helpful. He asked why I did not call to which I replied that getting the telephone number of a vastly wealthy but reclusive individual, who does not even wish to be named, was not exactly the easiest thing to do. I explained to him that I had taken the only course available and spoken to his representative and taken into account what he had said, but apparently this was not good enough. So we did not really get on. When I asked him to explain what the supposed targets that Monisha Kaltenborn failed to meet, he told me to mind my own business. When he asked me to name my sources, I told him it was none of his business. He ranted, in a rather condescending fashion, about how Formula 1 people in general don’t understand business, cannot read balance sheets and P&L statements. The point he missed is that F1 teams employ clever people to do that for them and what is most important is leadership and passion. Everything else is secondary to this and believing that teams will be successful if they have the right corporate structures and that F1 is just like any other business is not a sensible approach when one looks at history and sees how much money was wasted by corporate giants Toyota and British American Tobacco, or when one looks at the mistakes that Red Bull, for example, made in F1 before eventually getting it right. There is a very long list of people who have arrived and said that F1 is the same as any other business, only to depart with their pockets emptier and their egos dented. Being rich is obviously a big advantage in life, but it doesn’t mean you know all the answers, which is a mistake that billionaires often make. What it does do is give you the chance to screw up and then buy yourself out of trouble.

The other element that the invisible team owner misses is that going into the F1 business means that one is buying into a media and entertainment business. And trying to be invisible in a media business is a bit like wandering into a minefield, wearing a blindfold and juggling balls in the air. You might get out of it without your cover (and other bits) being blown, but it’s not a great idea. We all know (if we have half a clue) who the owner is, but some of us have deferred to his wishes to remain anonymous, in order to have a good working relationship with him. However, berating journalists because they don’t write what you want to hear, is not a good way to develop working relationships and, to be honest, right now I really see no reason why I would want to keep the name secret any longer.

Orbis

If the F-E field expands, I really hope they'll look for better tracks with more space for passing.
It's the main thing that completely switches me off with Formula E. Awful circuits. I get that they need these city street tracks to raise the profile and make money but I think the time is coming to throw in some actual race tracks too, even just shorter variations of them.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's the main thing that completely switches me off with Formula E. Awful circuits. I get that they need these city street tracks to raise the profile and make money but I think the time is coming to throw in some actual race tracks too, even just shorter variations of them.

Yeah, shorter variations of well-known tracks like Silverstone for instance would be nice. I'd even take Paul Ricard.

Looks like Sauber will stick with Ferrari - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-renews-ferrari-engine-deal-935309/

Giovinazzi & Leclerc in a Sauber next year?

Also, since Peter Sauber isn't involved anymore, why not rename the team?

Lach

Yeah, shorter variations of well-known tracks like Silverstone for instance would be nice. I'd even take Paul Ricard.

Looks like Sauber will stick with Ferrari - https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/sauber-renews-ferrari-engine-deal-935309/

Giovinazzi & LeClerc in a Sauber next year?

Also, since Peter Sauber isn't involved anymore, why not rename the team?

Confirmed by Sauber as well:
https://www.sauberf1team.com/news/the-sauber-f1-team-signed-an-agreement-with-scuderia-ferrari

Aiii

So not worth it
Good on Sauber, much better choice and I'd jump at the chance of getting Leclerc in my car. He has potential on par with VER, I expect him to get them many points.

Aiii

So not worth it
Palmer caused a red flag in FP1? Lol what a legend.

To be fair, it wasn't really his fault. They pretty much put kerbs of death along with a dumb uneven car-destroying drop at the end of the kerbs. He ran wide is all he did.

Lima

To be fair, it wasn't really his fault. They pretty much put kerbs of death along with a dumb uneven car-destroying drop at the end of the kerbs. He ran wide is all he did.

That doesn't fit the narrative though. Let's go with he did something wrong.

Aiii

So not worth it
I love how Sky never once wants to outright talk about Kubica taking over Palmer's seat this year.

They talk about Kubica, they talk about Palmer's season, but never once do they actually say, "boy, this Kubica test is probably bad news for Palmer after crashing twice today."

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Oh boy, Palmer again...

TEAM: "Is your career ok, Jo?"
PAL: "...No..."
Fixed.

If Kubica aces this test, he's gone.

Also, Honda fails again? Stoff managed a full race distance so it's due to fail any time now.

Haas really struggling. Sauber nowhere and Williams off the pace.

At the front? Either Mercedes are going to hit the 1:16s tomorrow or they have a real fight on their hands with both Ferrari and RBR.

DD

LMAO

dCH3zLT.jpg

I don't follow F3 (or F2 for that matter). Any reason why Schumacher is having such a bad season compared to his last two seasons in F4? Is the competition that much better?

I guess it's better competition mostly.

Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg is having a great race!

Zaru

I guess it's better competition mostly.

Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michael Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard von Habsburg is having a great race!

Considering how Lando Norris is doing for a rookie, the figurative (Mick) and literal (Ferdinand) heir apparents aren't gonna go much further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom