• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT2| A Dutch Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Danielsan

Just watched that driver briefing. Man Grosjean is such a sad piece of work. I already strongly disliked his whiny ass but this just cements it. He literally is the shitty stuck up kid in class who tells on his peers or who raises his hand in class to remind the teacher about that exam they were supposed to have that day.

valkyre

You must be a new follower of this sport.

Come on... I follow this sport from 1980 and know well the history even before that.

And yes I am aware about Ferrari and their shenanigans but come on, there are far worse teams out there and for the life of me I cant remember a formula 1 car retiring from a fucking sparkplug (i am sure it actually isnt the first time).

Yes I know I know, when Ferrari is ran by Italians it supposedly sucks. And in part you could say its true.

Still they presented this year an amazing car a very reliable car and suddenly they completely fucked it up somehow. This isnt common, not even for a Ferrari.

Aiii

So not worth it
Ferrari have been shtting the bed for decades when it comes to in-season development. It's literally what they're notoriously known for. They always start strong and then drop off more and more and more.

Dilly

Banned
Their issues seem to be of the QA sort instead of losing the development race. They are keeping up with Mercedes pace wise.

Ferrari have been shtting the bed for decades when it comes to in-season development. It's literally what they're notoriously known for. They always start strong and then drop off more and more and more.
The pace is still good. They're not dominant, but they can keep up with Mercedes. It's the reliability and acting fucking stupid on the grid that is the issue this year.

E: God fucking damn it, Singapore.

Come on... I follow this sport from 1980 and know well the history even before that.

And yes I am aware about Ferrari and their shenanigans but come on, there are far worse teams out there and for the life of me I cant remember a formula 1 car retiring from a fucking sparkplug (i am sure it actually isnt the first time).

Yes I know I know, when Ferrari is ran by Italians it supposedly sucks. And in part you could say its true.

Still they presented this year an amazing car a very reliable car and suddenly they completely fucked it up somehow. This isnt common, not even for a Ferrari.

Verstappen retired due to a spark plug issue at Spa this year.

valkyre

This isnt a case of dropping their form... and if it werent for the last three races, this year their development seemed top notch they kept improving all the way until Vettel started hitting cars and mechanics saying "fuck it".. And their off season improvement was massive.

The car still has pace and if the championship was close like 10-15 points nobody would be able to predict the outcome.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
RBR has the best development since summer break. Too bad for so many VES DNFs, they would be second in WCC easily with current Ferrari blunders.

Aiii

So not worth it
idk guys, I get what you're saying, but the way I see it is that they were in front of Mercedes at the start of the season and they are behind them, and on-par with RBR, now.

Going from first to shared second on most tracks indicates to me that their development was the worst out of all three of them.

valkyre

idk guys, I get what you're saying, but the way I see it is that they were in front of Mercedes at the start of the season and they are behind them, and on-par with RBR, now.

Going from first to shared second on most tracks indicates to me that their development was the worst out of all three of them.

If it werent for Vettel's idiotic poor jugement he would have won Singapore and Baku. Ferrari didnt make him ran into other people.

And by that he would probably still be in front in the WC or a close second.

Aiii

So not worth it
Singapore isn't really much of an indication, Mercedes was slow there long before they could even be touched by other teams.

I love how people are still giving Vettel shit for Singapore. There's absolutely no way he could have known that Verstappen didn't have room to back out.

It was just one of those things. Baku on the other hand...

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I love how people are still giving Vettel shit for Singapore. There's absolutely no way he could have known that Verstappen didn't have room to back out.

Yeah, Vettel lost some of my respect in Baku. That was incredibly stupid behaviour. Singapore, on the other hand, was just bad luck. His move wasn't crazy; in fact, it was a pretty standard one. (You could blame him for his mediocre start, but it's not like mediocre starts aren't common.) The engine troubles are also not his fault, obviously.

The last races just have been very rotten overall for Ferrari.

Jezbollah

Just watched that driver briefing. Man Grosjean is such a sad piece of work. I already strongly disliked his whiny ass but this just cements it. He literally is the shitty stuck up kid in class who tells on his peers or who raises his hand in class to remind the teacher about that exam they were supposed to have that day.

I think you're overreacting.

In a sport that is defined by the rules and the adhering (or flexing of), he was asking for clarification. That is why you have these drivers briefings.

The next time your boss asks you to do something vague, and you question it, will you be happy to be labelled a "whiny ass" or a "shitty stuck up kid"?

JDB

Banned
RBR has the best development since summer break. Too bad for so many VES DNFs, they would be second in WCC easily with current Ferrari blunders.
It's kinda hard to tell what RBR's true pace difference is with Ferrari mechanical issues and Mercedes' inconsistent pace. Regardless it's nice to see them doing well consistently.

John_B

Ferrari did put on a strong season despite turning into a circus for three races straight. Vettel will be back to take another stab at it next season.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
So which championship got fucked harder? Hamilton's in 2012 or Vettel's this year?

Well, there are four more races, so red team can do it even worse :p

It's kinda hard to tell what RBR's true pace difference is with Ferrari mechanical issues and Mercedes' inconsistent pace. Regardless it's nice to see them doing well consistently.

That is true, but RBR was the most affected with preseason suspension ban (Mercedes a bit less, but still), so they really clawed back.

valkyre

He did not have to be that aggressive in those dreadful conditions, knowing Lewis was 5th on the grid and that he had another 300 km to the finish line, with the best car on the grid pace wise.

It was poor judgement no matter how you see it.

The smart thing to do in such conditions is to try and stay out of trouble, something Lewis did wonderfully, even giving a ton of space for all the other drivers to take out themselves for him.

Jezbollah

The cruel thing with Ferrari/Vettel this year is that there was a clear whiff of "them actually doing it". The fact they went from being equal with Mercedes (and indeed better than them at the beginning of the year) back to being LUL Ferrari is quite brutal. But self inflicted.

I mean, Hamilton got fucked pretty hard last year.
My god don't open that wound, it pains me and even after all that shit Rosberg only won by 5 fucking points.
Worst case for Ferrari would be several DNFs due to mechanical issues. Big Boss would start sweeping early.
Marchionne would probably fire everybody including the janitors.
Half of Vettel's misfortune was his own doing, so I'm giving this to '16 Hamilton.
It took forever for Hamilton to get to grips with that damn clutch system for the starts. Doesn't help that Rosberg was really just driving like a dick that year. Hamilton really got fucked on reliability as well, but baring Barcelona he really wasn't driving into people. I really can't make sense out of Vettel this year. He just imploded along with his engine. Hamilton at least kept it together for most of that year. Isn't Hamiton's 2016 pretty much just Senna's 89?

Business

The Ferrari was the fastest car in Singapore and Malaysia and the second fastest in Suzuka. Faster than RedBull at all times.

Burai

shitonmychest57
The rumours were true and it has now been confirmed "legendary" announcer Michael Buffer will be doing one by one driver introductions for the Austin GP.

Because of this, the usual race start procedure will be starting 15 minutes earlier.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ael-buffer-to-introduce-drivers-in-austi.html

Christ, I remember him doing a darts tournament in Las Vegas and being utterly tedious. His "Llllets get ready for daaaaaaaaaaaaarts!" was cringe-inducing shite.

Fox Mulder

The Ferrari was the fastest car in Singapore and Malaysia and the second fastest in Suzuka. Faster than RedBull at all times.

That ferrari quality and pathetic #2 driver is killing them though. It really is a shame how the season fizzled out. Ferrari never changes.

And yet in that amount of time Verstappen has scored more points than Vettel.

He didn't. Verstappen scored one point less than Vettel (45 vs 44 points) with the same number of DNFs (Spa/Singapore, Singapore/Japan) and only once finishing higher than Vettel (due to Vettel starting from the back of the grid in Malaysia).

He didn't. Verstappen scored one point less than Vettel (45 vs 44 points) with the same number of DNFs (Spa/Singapore, Singapore/Japan) and only once finishing higher than Vettel (due to Vettel starting from the back of the grid in Malaysia).
Oh...Ok...damn close though shit.

Ty4on

Seeing how Max started performing well after the title change how about we change it to "...an Italian horror story" to make the championship more competitive?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Red Bull will try to keep both drivers after 2018, but I think it will be tough to counter deals from Mercedes and Ferrari.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Christ, I remember him doing a darts tournament in Las Vegas and being utterly tedious. His "Llllets get ready for daaaaaaaaaaaaarts!" was cringe-inducing shite.

Love darts announcers when they go "ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY!"

DrM

Redmond's Baby
And STR has not yet decided on 2018 lineup. Maybe Honda wants want to bring their driver?

Kvyatt will have his swan's song on last four races, his motivation is like empty bottle of vodka and he will be finished with F1. Gasly made good impression and was quite unlucky in Suzuka, otherwise he would be close to 10th place.

Jezbollah

And STR has not yet decided on 2018 lineup. Maybe Honda wants want to bring their driver?

We've had this conversation a few pages back :) not much in the way of talent right now. Also, I dont think Honda will be paying STR enough money for them to decide on drivers.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
None of Honda's drivers have enough Super License points, though Fukuzumi did well, and hopefully he'll make the jump to F2 next year.

Keeping Kvyat for another year seems a bit pointless though.

Top Bottom