• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forspoken - Deep Dive: Magic Parkour Deepdive

GymWolf

Weird how none of the criticisms are actually about the gameplay lol.
The combat didn't looked as good as the traversal but it still looks like a fun mess with a lot of variety, hopefully the game is not gonna be the absolute cakewalk that was ff15 from the same devs.

To me this game is basically fantasy infamous, delsin was even as annoying as this chick, both shitheads.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Let me get this straight, there's parkour... and freaking DRAGONS?!?!
nGMrD.gif

Actually, you know what. I take that back and let me rephrase that. Saying this game looks like a hot PS3 trash is too nice.

This game looks like one those F2P Korean MMO games for a mobile phone that are filled with P2W tactics. (Yes I know it's an SP game, but it just looks like some cheap mobile MMO lol)

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Actually, you know what. I take that back and let me rephrase that. Saying this game looks like a hot PS3 trash is too nice.

This game looks like one those F2P Korean MMO games for a mobile phone that are filled with P2W tactics. (Yes I know it's an SP game, but it just looks like some cheap mobile MMO lol)
I’m also not in to this game’s visuals style but my god this post is just super over exaggeration.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I just can't decide on this game. Sometimes I think it could be awesome and sometimes I think its gonna be ass.

The combat didn't looked as good as the traversal but it still looks like a fun mess with a lot of variety, hopefully the game is not gonna be the absolute cakewalk that was ff15 from the same devs.

To me this game is basically fantasy infamous, delsin was even as annoying as this chick, both shitheads.
The combat looked even better imo. I've never seen a magic system as in depth as this in an action game before. The devs said there will be over 100 spells btw.

>To me this game is basically fantasy infamous, delsin was even as annoying as this chick, both shitheads.

The focus is meant to be on the gameplay and magic traversal not the story and characters. There will be an option to filter out freys quips as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

The combat looked even better imo. I've never seen a magic system as in depth as this in an action game before. The devs said there will be over 100 spells btw.

>To me this game is basically fantasy infamous, delsin was even as annoying as this chick, both shitheads.

The focus is meant to be on the gameplay and magic traversal not the story and characters. There will be an option to filter out freys quips as well.
I know everything about the 100 spells, i followed every preview for the game, but the combat footage sometimes looked a bit confusionary with too much effects on screen and dumb enemies that just stood there, i'm sure i'm gonna have fun with it but traversal seems like a strong point aswell.

Infamous wasn't really as cinematic as other sony games, it was mostly a gameplay centric game with different types of traversal, forspoken always looked like a similar concept in a fantasy world with magic instead of super powers.
And since i love infamous, this game is basically made for me.

Jedusable

Neo Member

A fight of Infamous SS with the very first power in the game:
A fight in Infamous SS with the last powers :

Infamous is basically a third-player shooter and plays like it, it only scratches the surface of playing a mage.
Forspoken is far more diverse with his spells just with what it showed with the lastest trailers, there's more than just spells that shoot projectiles, and the way the combat plays out is very different. Very stylish and choreography based.

Last edited:

Metnut

This looks like a blast to play. PS5 just has too many games. Wish I had more free time or at least less needy kids.

I know everything about the 100 spells, i followed every preview for the game, but the combat footage sometimes looked a bit confusionary with too much effects on screen and dumb enemies that just stood there, i'm sure i'm gonna have fun with it but traversal seems like a strong point aswell.

Infamous wasn't really as cinematic as other sony games, it was mostly a gameplay centric game with different types of traversal, forspoken always looked like a similar concept in a fantasy world with magic instead of super powers.
And since i love infamous, this game is basically made for me.
>looked a bit confusionary with too much effects on screen

Tbf a lot of games look like that when you see the trailers then once you actually play it it all looks so clear. I thought what the actual fuck is going on and how do people keep up with this when I saw bayonetta combo videos then I got into the series and it doesn't bedazzle me anymore.

>

Ya but the gameplay looks much deeper from the looks of it. inFAMOUS was mostly just shooting out elemental projectiles like you would use guns and grenades in shooters then apart from that you had a glide, a ground pound, dash(in second son) and only a few other abilities. In this game there is much more variety it seems and less projectile spamming. And the traversal mechanics attributes to that depth as well.

GymWolf

A fight of Infamous SS with the very first power in the game:
A fight in Infamous SS with the last powers :

Infamous is basically a third-player shooter and plays like it, it only scratches the surface of playing a mage.
Forspoken is far more diverse with his spells, there's more than just spells that shoot projectiles, and the way the combat plays out is very different. Very stylish and choreography based.

i know there are difference, but the concept always looked similar to me.

Agile protagonist that shot stuff from his hands in an open world game with high speed fantasy traversal,

I'm not the only one who made this connection here on gaf (or other forums, just today i read another guy on reee who said the same)

Hopefully the 100 spells are all gonna be interesting and not like 80% throw away and only 20% actually interesting.

Remember that we are talking about the people who made ff15, not exactly a game that inspire trust combat wise, and i'm one of the most optimistic about this game on gaf :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GymWolf

>looked a bit confusionary with too much effects on screen

Tbf a lot of games look like that when you see the trailers then once you actually play it it all looks so clear. I thought what the actual fuck is going on and how do people keep up with this when I saw bayonetta combo videos then I got into the series and it doesn't bedazzle me anymore.

>

Ya but the gameplay looks much deeper from the looks of it. inFAMOUS was mostly just shooting out elemental projectiles like you would use guns and grenades in shooters then apart from that you had a glide, a ground pound, dash(in second son) and only a few other abilities. In this game there is much more variety it seems and less projectile spamming. And the traversal mechanics attributes to that depth as well.
yeah i hope that combat\traversal is gonna be way more varied than infamous (that still ha decent variety because the powers had some differences between them), but i'm pretty sure that many magic stuff are gonna feel like magic handgun, magic shotgun etc, we are gonna have this stuff in the game aswell, you can bet on that.

The game at his core is gonna be a tps, an acrobatic, varied one with some melee shanenigans, but still mostly a tps.

Last edited:
yeah i hope that combat\traversal is gonna be way more varied than infamous (that still ha decent variety because the powers had some differences between them), but i'm pretty sure that many magic stuff are gonna feel like magic handgun, magic shotgun etc, we are gonna have this stuff in the game aswell, you can bet on that.

The game at his core is gonna be a tps, an acrobatic, varied one with some melee shanenigans, but still mostly a tps.
We've only seen like 2 tps projectile spells so far though. The majority of powers are not like calling giant roots out of the ground, creating walls of flame, creating a large pillar of water that freezes, flame demon summons, fire grappling hook, water gliding etc.

And in the trailers we see that projectile spells aren't used nearly as much as the others unlike in inFAMOUS where half the time you just spam elemental bullets or grenades.

Isn't the same engine of ff15?
I believe it is, I never liked that engine. It's poorly optimized and games always look weird on it. I am so glad FF7 Remake switched to UE4 and FF7 Remake Part 2 is going to be UE5 with KH4 as well, so exciting stuff. KH 3 was on UE4.

GymWolf

I believe it is, I never liked that engine. It's poorly optimized and games always look weird on it. I am so glad FF7 Remake switched to UE4 and FF7 Remake Part 2 is going to be UE5 with KH4 as well, so exciting stuff. KH 3 was on UE4.
i think graphic and the chocobo music were the only good things about ff15 :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

But i don't have much expectations graphic wise, i'm here mostly for the gameplay.

[Sigma]

The visual effects look beautiful. Parkour/magic stuff does look fun, but the rest of it idunno. My excitement for this game is still in the "meh" department. But i'll give it a go likely still.

GymWolf

We've only seen like 2 tps projectile spells so far though. The majority of powers are not like calling giant roots out of the ground, creating walls of flame, creating a large pillar of water that freezes, flame demon summons, fire grappling hook, water gliding etc.

And in the trailers we see that projectile spells aren't used nearly as much as the others unlike in inFAMOUS where half the time you just spam elemental bullets or grenades.
True, and i hope that the more bizzarre magic is gonna feel good to use, infamous had pretty tight gameplay if anything.

Last edited:

Arachnid

i know there are difference, but the concept always looked similar to me.

Agile protagonist that shot stuff from his hands in an open world game with high speed fantasy traversal,

I'm not the only one who made this connection here on gaf (or other forums, just today i read another guy on reee who said the same)

Hopefully the 100 spells are all gonna be interesting and not like 80% throw away and only 20% actually interesting.

Remember that we are talking about the people who made ff15, not exactly a game that inspire trust combat wise, and i'm one of the most optimistic about this game on gaf :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I actually had the exact same thought.

Actually, the traversal in this game looks funnish but also somewhat stiff. Second Son did traversal better close to a decade ago. The combat in second son got old quick though, and IMO wasn't as fun as Infamous 2. Hopefully this game can even things up with Second Son through combat.

I actually had the exact same thought.

Actually, the traversal in this game looks funnish but also somewhat stiff. Second Son did traversal better close to a decade ago. The combat in second son got old quick though, and IMO wasn't as fun as Infamous 2. Hopefully this game can even things up with Second Son through combat.
The traversal in this game absolutely smashes any infamous game bro. There is way more fluidity of movement here, in inFAMOUS 1 traversal was just gliding and running, inFAMOUS 2 was basically the same but with a better thruster and a grappling hook, Second Son has the best traversal of the three but it just gives you four different type of dashes and you can only use one for each power. You have way more options here grappling, ice surfing, acrobatic sidesteps, magic boosted jumping, etc

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Gameplay looks cool, but there has to be a way to shut her up.
Maybe there is Japanese voiceover that i can use…

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks alright, but there's something about the sound design that puts me off. Every move she makes sounds too "crunchy" or something.

Again they obfuscate the insufferable voice acting by releasing yet another trailer featuring a narrator. I would be super interested if they would simply recast the lead and rewrite some of the cringe dialog shown in the early demo.

Every time I hear that voice actor speak I get flashbacks of her performance as Jade from the cancelled RE show and start grinding my teeth. I’ll be needing dentures before winters out at this rate. In recent memory only the Taskmaster from Miles Moralles has been more insufferable. I wonder if Forspoken is attempting to challenge for that title?

Naw

Again they obfuscate the insufferable voice acting by releasing yet another trailer featuring a narrator. I would be super interested if they would simply recast the lead and rewrite some of the cringe dialog shown in the early demo.

Every time I hear that voice actor speak I get flashbacks of her performance as Jade from the cancelled RE show and start grinding my teeth. I’ll be needing dentures before winters out at this rate. In recent memory only the Taskmaster from Miles Moralles has been more insufferable. I wonder if Forspoken is attempting to challenge for that title?

They go out of their way to not have any talking in teh trailer and you’re still in here throwing a fit about the voice acting. The games not for you, its ok

It's Elder Legend Elder Legend and a PS5 exclusive. Sounds about right to me.
Not really sure what you are talking about or how PS5 is even related to this. I am huge fan of GoW and TLOU 2, and I really liked Returnal and looking forward too Wolverine.

Don't care for Spiderman though, just not a fan of the super hero. Take your console war baiting trash shit somewhere else you toxic toad.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm still very cautious about this game after the teaser gameplay they released. That looked pre alpha, just rough stuff. Fingers crossed though, I'm a sucker for an open world with cool travel dynamics.

I'm still very cautious about this game after the teaser gameplay they released. That looked pre alpha, just rough stuff. Fingers crossed though, I'm a sucker for an open world with cool travel dynamics.
Sadly this game is not in pre-alpha it releases in January of next year. I am predicting now this will be a hot mess.

Last edited:
They go out of their way to not have any talking in teh trailer and you’re still in here throwing a fit about the voice acting. The games not for you, its ok

Awfully nice of you to decide who the game is for. I do believe the point I was attempting to make has flown straight past you. Allow me to be more direct. I'm suggesting that the reason they haven't shown any further dialogue is because it was received so poorly. Think about that for a second and decide if there may be a potential cause for concern. Many people on here believe that what was shown was a cringe fest. You obviously neither share that opinion nor do you mind poor dialogue. Myself, I wish that the bar could be set just a little higher.

Why don't you let us know your thoughts on what was shown? What's your opinion of the protagonist? Do you think the voice acting was good? The dialogue was on point? Rather than going on defence please make your case for why I and many others are so very wrong?

Salz01

Look at the palm tree, in the scale clip…. That’s all I need to see to know how this game is going to perform.

Awfully nice of you to decide who the game is for. I do believe the point I was attempting to make has flown straight past you. Allow me to be more direct. I'm suggesting that the reason they haven't shown any further dialogue is because it was received so poorly. Think about that for a second and decide if there may be a potential cause for concern. Many people on here believe that what was shown was a cringe fest. You obviously neither share that opinion nor do you mind poor dialogue. Myself, I wish that the bar could be set just a little higher.

Why don't you let us know your thoughts on what was shown? What's your opinion of the protagonist? Do you think the voice acting was good? The dialogue was on point? Rather than going on defence please make your case for why I and many others are so very wrong?

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

No thanks, if you don’t like the game its not my job to convince you.

Larxia

Something about the title of this game really bothers me, but I can't say why.
I think I totally see what you mean, but I can't explain it either lol.

Quite often when I want to talk about this game, I kind of forget the exact title for a second (obviously getting more and more used to it with time).
It's also like when you think too much about a word, its letters, sounds etc, and start thinking "this word is kind of weird", except here it happens instantly.

I think the best explanation I can give is that the word just feels not intuitive.

Top Bottom